• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NWOH Thread: Brawl/Melee Smashfest next Wednesday (Toledo, Findlay, BG, Lima)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Feel free to discuss what's going on in NW Ohio, post where you live if you want, and just chat with other Smashers around the area.

Tournaments are far and few between here and I, along with many others would like to see more things happen here instead of travelling up to MI or southern OH. Feel free to discuss possible venues for tournaments, smashfests, etc.

Current Smashfests:​

Toledo
School of Smash - Wednesday Nights @ 8:00 p.m. - University of Toledo: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289848

Upcoming Tournaments:​

Toledo
BASHCon XXVI (big) - University of Toledo - February 18th - 20th, 2011

Findlay
Local LAN Center (TBA)

kippty

Smash Cadet
I feel your pain bro. I live in toledo myself and just trying to find people who even play brawl is a chore. Although i'm sure that having Wi-fi would help but I don't :p

AeRo^

Smash Rookie
Well if you guys can find the Locke branch library on Miami street me and my step bro do small tourneys on Fridays... only brawl tho and the prizes are only $5 walmart gift cards because the library doesn't let us charge for entry... if you have friends in Toledo bring them too. i don't check my smashboards very often so message me on myspace or text my phone for any info you need.

Myspace.com/yahhyahhtrick

(419) 490 6940

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Aero, I did not know this o_o. I have a tournament in Flint this Friday, but I will definitely try to make it in the future.

What time on Fridays do the tournaments start?

I'm also thinking about getting the Toledo area going as far as a tourney scene goes once the school year starts. I may be able to hold some at the University of Toledo.

AeRo^

Smash Rookie
Yeah we do 1v1 tournaments for prizes and team tourneys for fun. most of our friends play but we still only get 10-20 people there. Bring anyone who wants to come and check it out.

We usually start them around 1:15 - 1:30 but we let people in at 1 to warm up and talk with friends.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Yeah we do 1v1 tournaments for prizes and team tourneys for fun. most of our friends play but we still only get 10-20 people there. Bring anyone who wants to come and check it out.

We usually start them around 1:15 - 1:30 but we let people in at 1 to warm up and talk with friends.
10-20 is still a pretty good size...for Toledo that is. I think I can come this week.

Toledo has players...I know plenty at the University of Toledo...we're just a little disorganized at the moment lol

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm also thinking about getting the Toledo area going as far as a tourney scene goes once the school year starts. I may be able to hold some at the University of Toledo.
DarkLouis, if your able to get a tournament at UT set up anytime during the year send me a PM. I've got two friends that Smash as well. We participated in the one at UT back in February and it was a blast. I'm not great by any means at Smash but nevertheless it's fun to play and that's what matters.

These Friday tournaments sound cool. I'm not sure when I can attend one due to work but I'll have to work something out. Is the Locke Library on Miami Street in Rossford right across from The Pharm? (I think it's a Rite Aid now)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
DarkLouis, if your able to get a tournament at UT set up anytime during the year send me a PM. I've got two friends that Smash as well. We participated in the one at UT back in February and it was a blast. I'm not great by any means at Smash but nevertheless it's fun to play and that's what matters.

These Friday tournaments sound cool. I'm not sure when I can attend one due to work but I'll have to work something out. Is the Locke Library on Miami Street in Rossford right across from The Pharm? (I think it's a Rite Aid now)
That would be correct. I looked up the venue on Mapquest. Hopefully I can see you there sometime this summer.

And I will try to get a Smash scene started this year at UT. It's going to be tough though, considering that it is marching band season and it demands a hell of alot of time out of me. Not to mention I need a job on campus as well...I'm kind of poor, but still somewhat better off than most people, so I may have to hold off on getting things started until Decemberish.

What I was thinking about doing was checking out a room in the Student Union and having a monthly tournament on a Friday evening/Saturday. It'd be really awesome to have a place to bridge the gap between Ann Arbor, MI and Springfield, OH.

Hopefully me and some other people I know can make this a reality this year.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Fun tournament today AeRo^ I think my friend and I will be back for the final one. I may get some videos of some matches I recorded of my friend up. I'll try to post the brackets here too.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Is there going to be another tournament next Friday? If so I'm gonna try and make it and bring two friends as well if open to anyone. How much does it cost to enter. I know Aero said there isn't a venue fee but those Wal-Mart gift cards have to get paid for somehow.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Is there going to be another tournament next Friday? If so I'm gonna try and make it and bring two friends as well if open to anyone. How much does it cost to enter. I know Aero said there isn't a venue fee but those Wal-Mart gift cards have to get paid for somehow.
Yup, there's going to be another one and it's completely free. I think the library funds the tournament, but unfortunately this is the last one they're having due to lack of funding. The prize is a $5 Walmart gift card. We had about 20 people last time, alot of kids :p, but it was fun. I'm bringing my friend again, 2 more may meet up with me there.

For singles, its only best of 1, but double elimination.

Doubles is for fun, you get your teammated picked randomly and its single elimination.

Just thought you should know.

So yeah, show up around 12:45 for friendlies...the tourney starts around 1:30.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yup, there's going to be another one and it's completely free. I think the library funds the tournament, but unfortunately this is the last one they're having due to lack of funding. The prize is a $5 Walmart gift card. We had about 20 people last time, alot of kids :p, but it was fun. I'm bringing my friend again, 2 more may meet up with me there.

For singles, its only best of 1, but double elimination.

Doubles is for fun, you get your teammated picked randomly and its single elimination.

Just thought you should know.

So yeah, show up around 12:45 for friendlies...the tourney starts around 1:30.
Awsome. I'll be there for sure and there's a good chance I'll be able to bring a friend along; maybe two.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Errr I couldn't attend this tournament afterall. My family is coming in for my mom's birthday tomorrow and a lot is going on at my house right now. I wish this wasn't the last tournament.

There will be others even though I bet the next one I'm likely going to be at is the UT one again in Februrary.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Errr I couldn't attend this tournament afterall. My family is coming in for my mom's birthday tomorrow and a lot is going on at my house right now. I wish this wasn't the last tournament.

There will be others even though I bet the next one I'm likely going to be at is the UT one again in Februrary.
No problem SharkAttack, there will probably be others.

Great tournaments AeRo^, its great to see stuff going on in Toledo. They were fun. It's a shame it had to end due to lack of funding.

But hopefully we'll be able to bridge the gap between Ann Arbor and Springfield/Columbus pretty soon. I talked to some of my friends at UT today at the tournament and we can just rent out a room for free on a Friday evening or something once or twice a month. We need to research the campus' parking policy because we might run into problems for our tournament's guests as far as parking goes. But there are ways (but I'd like to avoid that) around the parking policy if we have to. I'm excited about this and I think we can do it. But we just started talking about this, so don't get your hopes too high, although we really want this to happen. :)

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I was just at my work about 15 minutes ago and one of my co-workers said he went to this tournament and there were 35 people there. That's alot in the Toledo area for sure. With those numbers I'm suprised there isn't more tournaments around here. I sure hope Louis that you and the people at UT can set up some monthly tournaments.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Alright...I haven't forgotten about you guys, so I'm looking into holding a tournament towards the end of September in the evening...probably on a Friday from like 6:00-10:00 at the University of Toledo. (Since parking is free at that time...I think) If I can get a room, I'll announce the tournament in early/mid September on the midwest regional board and post here. But we will REALLY need setups, so I'll have a small venue fee that'll be waived if you bring one. I plan to keep the entry fee low for the first tournament ($5 most likely) and the payout will be 60/30/10 for the top 3 placers. I can't promise this'll happen, but I hope it does.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Awsome. If I can make it to this than I'll be there for sure if it goes down. I'd bring my Wii and Smash game for a setup as well to make things run more smoothly. I've got random stage select so it should qualify unlike that one system that didn't back in February and we were forced to two televisions instead of three.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I can get a tournament set up this September. Marching band is scheduling everything on Friday this month, including a weekend trip to the OSU game. So unless we wanna have one on a Sunday, I may just have one at the beginning of October, which isn't that much longer from when I planned it to be anyway.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
That's cool. You gotta do what you gotta do. It will give me more time to train anyways. There are some techniques I need to pick up that I don't have down and if I don't learn them by the first tournament I likely won't do as well as I want.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Good news, Toledo! I saw a list outside of the BASH office at UT today asking people if they were willing to let BASH borrow their Wiis for a Brawl tournament that is coming in Toledo in November. We have about 4 Wiis right now. I don't know the exact date, but we may be seeing something in the next couple months. I will ask BASH if I can make an official thread for this tournament when I find out more.

:D

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
Ever since the Toledo Gaming Center closed down, I've found it hard to find tournaments and people outside of my University to play Smash with. And because I'm short on money and jobless, travelling far is currently impossible for me D: I've been playing Melee alot lately and I'm considering playing Brawl again alongside it. I'm not super-amazing yet, but I've learned alot about Melee during the last 6 months just playing with friends at my University and I want to get better. I'm just wondering if there's anything going on in the area that I'm missing out on right now.

Btw...I live in southeastern Michigan (Right on the border of Ohio) but Toledo is the biggest city that is close to me and I commute there on a daily basis.
Im from SE michigan too bro but I don't play any brawl just recently got back into melee. Actually havin a small tourney at my house in a couple weeks bout 10 ppl

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
HEY TOLEDO...IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY, CHECK OUT THE "SMASH BASH I" THREAD IN MIDWEST REGIONAL BOARD. WE'VE GOT OURSELVES A BRAWL TOURNAMENT. (50% of the pot is going to charity however)

GET HYPE. :)

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
So Toledo, if you haven't heard already...MLG added Brawl to it's pro circuit, and there's an event going on in Columbus, OH sometime in June(?) I plan on going and would be willing to take anyone from around the area who wants to go in the future. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and will do a hell of alot for your personal tournament experience, and I'm going to do all I can to afford it and go. :p It's only a few hours away and the top players from around the nation are going to be there like M2K, Ally, and ADHD. (They all live too close to Columbus not to go. :p)

So if anyone's up for Brawl within the next few months, I'd be happy to come and Smash. Same goes for Melee. I'll probably get in contact with some of you anyway. lol

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Bumpage for NW Ohio.

As for venues, we could use my local library in Temperance, MI...but I don't know their stance on gambling/tournaments.

The University of Toledo is also an option, but technically I'm not a student there.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
grrr DL i'll get you next time XD. (sorry if I acted sour after our game)
It's a shame. :( If it was a regular tournament, I would've been completely fine with playing the entire match out.

You could never trust the info desk at MLG unfortunately...

jkbbabione

Smash Apprentice
I'm from findlay, who's dwoobie and are there any upcoming tournaments around?

thanks in advance.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Looks legit, dude. Free housing ftmfw! All I need to do is fight for my life and get that Saturday off of work. Sundays are guaranteed off.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if I leave work at 8:00 p.m. Friday night and get there around midnight.

So anyone from NW Ohio want in on my carpool? Noctournez, Poe, Rev, Sharkattack, Raider, Dwoobie? :D

Also, there's a tournament in Garden City, MI that I'm most likely going to on the 10th of July. It should be 2 hours or less to get there for NW Ohio people. Though my carpooling powers are limited bc I'll most likely having to work earlier that day and come before singles starts.

jkbbabione

Smash Apprentice
I'd be game for either of those if I convince my mom to let me go. link to MI tourney?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275795 - Garden City, MI on July 10th

I gotta talk to my boss today about getting off work at 3 at the latest that day, so that's still up in the air...so I won't be carpooling unless someone is between my work and the tournament. :( (It's in northern Toledo, almost in MI.)

However, for OUGA I can most definitely get some NW Ohio guys in my car.

jkbbabione

Smash Apprentice
If I am able to go to that would it be possible to meet you in Toledo or something? I doubt that I can go at all though :(

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
If I am able to go to that would it be possible to meet you in Toledo or something? I doubt that I can go at all though :(
Sure. Just let me know.

And yeah Kiest, if I get that Saturday off, I should be good to go, even if I work till close that Friday.

jkbbabione

Smash Apprentice
I messaged Dwoobie and he told me where the place that could hold tourneys is at. I just checked and it looks pretty good as long as the tourney was pretty small. It has 8 setups already, and could have plenty more. But as I said, the place is small... it's a neat store though, has nes, snes, n64, sega genesis, and a bunch of other stuff for people who haven't played those older games before.

The place is called Gamer and is next to the Papa John's in Findlay if you wanna check it for yourself.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
yeah dude, I'd be willing to drive an hour and a half down to Findlay for tournies. I heard quite a few of the locals have asked that place about tournies already.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I'm so cool I get my city mentioned for existing at all. :estatic:

I would drive a half-hour to Findlay, yo.

Top Bottom