• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What? No Starmie and Slowbro? But those... Those are my favorite Water types (plus I was really keen on having them).

Lapras will do the trick then but I cannot help to be at least a little dissapointed. I even own the game FireRed myself despite playing it on an emulator now (mostly doing this to post screens) so I should've known. Damn.

Hypno was a choice I wanted to make earlier to. Only thing is it doesn't hit too hard. But I guess Calm Mind could fix that.

I'll also choose Rhyhorn if I get the chance. However, the chance of running into Rhyhorn is quite small, whereas Diglett is pretty much 100% guranteed. I'd be more than content with a Nidoran of any gender though. Only thing troubling me with Nidoran is again, Poison typing, and weakness against Water. Can't think of other strong, available physical attackers. Except for Snorlax. Who will probably, most likely, make my team anyway :awesome:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I've been currently doing a Diamond Nuzlocke.

Currently up to the Ice gem, got a full team and a couple of spares....

Also caught my first shiney, but then the game crashed literally as I was in the menu to the save screen :(

I cried myself to sleep that night...

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm currently on a Nuzlocke run for the second time for Fire Red. The first time I accidentally initiated a rival battle on Nugget Bridge and lost nearly every Pokemon to his Pidgeotto... :grrr:

Second Run: Revengeance

Trainer Name: Kevin
Rival Name: Keith... (I hate that name... :grrr: )

My team at this point:

Lvl 20 Male :008: named Shellbust AKA the team's Tank
Lvl 14 Female Oddish named Felicia (She may never reach the godly status of Nuptup)
Lvl 19 Male Butterfree named Flutternut
Lvl 18 Male Mankey named Ironhide
Lvl 10 Female Ekans named Eva (Couldn't very well name a female Ekans Snake, now can I? ;) )
Lvl 18 Female Rattata named Sabor (Strangely enough, she has a brave nature but her special ability is Run Away :ohwell: )

I also have a Zubat in storage somewhere; forgot what its name is. Don't really care as he is just back up until I find a day care to dump him.

Lvl 18 Male Spearow named Iron Wing was taken harshly from me by Nugget Bridge's fifth Trainer's Machop via a crit hit Karate Chop... :sadeyes: He was so brave... He shall be missed...

Location: Cerulean City attempting to level up Felicia past the Nugget Bridge so she can take on Misty. I also gotta help Bill so I can get a ticket on the S.S Anne.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm actually streaming all of this on my Twitch channel and I'm gonna continue it tomorrow evening at 4:30 pm CST. I got the two mandatory rules with the duplicate clause in effect. I also got another self-imposed Nuzlocke rule: If a Pokemon has a Pokeball next to its name, then I cannot capture it again. Not sure if it will only do that for the specific gender, but... Yeah.

I might do something interesting with my next Nuzlocke run like the Pikachu clause where if my Pikachu in my party faints for any reason, then I must start the run all over again. So, Pikachu would be like Roy in the Fire Emblem he was introduced where if he dies the game is over. Because honestly, if I caught a Pikachu on a Nuzlocke run and I lose him then I just would not have the strength to finish it.

In conclusion, Nuzlocke sucks but I have never loved my Pokemon more. :applejack:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Because honestly, if I caught a Pikachu on a Nuzlocke run and I lose him then I just would not have the strength to finish it.
Don't be so hard on yourself. If you do lose Pikachu, then Magnemite and Voltorb are great candidates for replacements. Electabuzz is even more so, but only if you're lucky enough to catch one.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If you do lose Pikachu, then Magnemite and Voltorb are great candidates for replacements.

That's a lie and you know it. :p Those two don't nearly have the same effectiveness for electric-types due to Pikachu's insane speed stats and his Agility ability which raises Pikachu's evasiveness by two stages. Maybe Voltorb, but I don't like any Pokemon that can learn a Ragequit move like Self-Destruct. I do like Electabuzz as a replacement though since he can rival Pikachu on speed. It's just more of the fact that I hold Pikachu close to my heart when I was a kid playing the games.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's a lie and you know it. :p Those two don't nearly have the same effectiveness for electric-types due to Pikachu's insane speed stats and his Agility ability which raises Pikachu's evasiveness by two stages. Maybe Voltorb, but I don't like any Pokemon that can learn a Ragequit move like Self-Destruct. I do like Electabuzz as a replacement though since he can rival Pikachu on speed. It's just more of the fact that I hold Pikachu close to my heart when I was a kid playing the games.
I don't even know what to say to this

I understand there are tons of people that play Pokemon super casually and are very unfamiliar with the mechanics but like this is... ridiculous.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I laughed the most at "AGILITY ABILITY raises EVASIVENESS by two".

By the way Magnemite is by far the best Electric Pokemon in a Nuzlocke. In a FireRed/LeafGreen Nuzlocke the Magneton/Gyarados core is amazing.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I don't even know what to say to this

I understand there are tons of people that play Pokemon super casually and are very unfamiliar with the mechanics but like this is... ridiculous.

I'm not driving; let me live. :p That's just how I want to do the Nuzlocke challenge. I'm very familiar with the mechanics as I understand the types and which types are effective and not to one another, thank you very much. I will admit that I may have given Voltorb less credit than it is due (which was a lot given its good speed stats), but again I don't like any Pokemon that can learn a Ragequit move like Self-Destruct. Also, I was kinda being a bit sarcastic with that first line. So, please... Bring me suggestions or showings of where I am wrong instead of just outright calling my methods 'ridiculous'.

I laughed the most at "AGILITY ABILITY raises EVASIVENESS by two".

By the way Magnemite is by far the best Electric Pokemon in a Nuzlocke. In a FireRed/LeafGreen Nuzlocke the Magneton/Gyarados core is amazing.

Magneton is pretty powerful, I'll admit that. I watched the Projared Nuzlocke run of Firered and his Magneton was strong until it got wiped out severely by his rival's Gyarados in the Champion match. I think it was a lucky crit hit...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
IceArrow, Ulti, there really are much better ways to explain to somebody what they're doing wrong. In fact, straight-up talking about how you're laughing at people and how ridiculous they are is pretty much one of the worst ways. I get that that's your first impulse, but could you guys at least try not to be so condescending to people who don't have the same knowledge you do? At least don't be laughing directly in their face.

I'm not driving; let me live. :p That's just how I want to do the Nuzlocke challenge. I'm very familiar with the mechanics as I understand the types and which types are effective and not to one another, thank you very much. I will admit that I may have given Voltorb less credit than it is due (which was a lot given its good speed stats), but again I don't like any Pokemon that can learn a Ragequit move like Self-Destruct. Also, I was kinda being a bit sarcastic with that first line. So, please... Bring me suggestions or showings of where I am wrong instead of just outright calling my methods 'ridiculous'.

Magneton is pretty powerful, I'll admit that. I watched the Projared Nuzlocke run of Firered and his Magneton was strong until it got wiped out severely by his rival's Gyarados in the Champion match. I think it was a lucky crit hit...
To let you actually know what it is that they were trying to say:

- Agility raises speed by two levels, not evasiveness. They were also, I believe, pointing out that you said "ability" instead of "move." Ability is the technical term for something else entirely, granted (which would be the unique, constant ability each Pokemon has, Static in Pikachu's case), but moves are still technically abilities that Pokemon have, so I'm really not sure why that was so hilarious.

- Pikachu is most definitely not the fastest of those Pokemon; for perspective, Electrode is the fastest Gen I Pokemon, and even Voltorb's speed is still equivalent to Raichu's. So if you're looking for speed in an electric Pokemon, you can't do better than Voltorb/Electrode. I get that you don't like Selfdestruct (I don't either, particularly in a Nuzlocke), but you don't have to use it or ever even learn it. If you still don't want to use it, that's your prerogative, just know that Voltorb is not as throwaway as you're saying it is.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Well... I just feel special... Now to sit underneath a little raincloud for my derp moment... I must've got it confused with Double Team which does raise evasiveness by one stage... :facepalm:

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I apologize, I was just supporting Anvil who was right the first time. Also, Electrode is not only "ragequit", its amazing speed is very beneficial in NUZLOCKE, especially against Gyarados/Aerodactyl.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
btw IA speedruns use either your starter the whole game except for Yellow and BW2, of which use Nidoking or [ok I don't know what BW2 uses because the route changes all the time since people find new stuff but they dump their starter early on in every route]

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
So I decided to do a Sapphire Nuzlocke before the release of X & Y.

RNG'd my starter, and I ended up with teh Mudkipz, who I have named Creme. Hopefully Creme and I will have a long and prosperous journey together!

And if not, then I guess he was worthless and didn't deserve to take this trip with me.

CREME HAS SUCCESSFULLY TRIUMPHED OVER THAT ***** MAY'S TREECKO. All is right in the world.

Pokedex, Poke Balls, and Running Shoes acquired. I am now on my way to getting somewhere in the world.

Zigzagoon was encountered on Route 102. It died. :x

Creme and I have made it to Petalburg City in one piece. I don't want to see my dad, but apparently I have to. Time to show Wally my super cool Pokemon-catching moves.

Tired. DAY 1 END.

DAY 2 START.

Zigzagoon was encountered on Route 104. It died. :x

WURMPLE GET in Petalburg Woods. His name is Droop.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Well, lost all of my entire crew to Cyrus. What can I say, f**k critical hits, F**k having to have HM slaves, and f**k having to fight three boss trainers in a goddammed row!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Why are you using HM slaves in a nuzlocke

Just use up moveslots on stuff you actually train, jesus. I don't even use HM slaves in normal playthroughs since giving up 1 moveslot isn't anywhere as important as 1 Pokemon, and you need every Pokemon you can get in a nuzlocke lol

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
What Ulti said. I know my biggest issue in a Nuzlocke is managing to keep a Pokemon that can use *insert HM move here*. But it doesn't usually become a huge issue unless I mess up royally somewhere along the way.

Oh yeah, I got Diamond to run on emu without being slow as ****. So yay. My Sapphire Nuzlocke isn't happening now, but a Diamond one is.

Too lazy to type it all out though. All I can say is I'm in Oreburgh City right now on my way to the mines, and my team is Piplup (12), Zubat (10), and Starly (4).

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Why are you using HM slaves in a nuzlocke

Just use up moveslots on stuff you actually train, jesus. I don't even use HM slaves in normal playthroughs since giving up 1 moveslot isn't anywhere as important as 1 Pokemon, and you need every Pokemon you can get in a nuzlocke lol
I didn't have a Pokemon in my team that could learn strength, rock smash or rock climb, and they are both terrible moves aswell!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
strength and rock climb on a normal type aren't bad moves at all

120 and 127.5 base power respectively and the latter has a chance to confuse

rock smash sucks though

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I finished through the Cerulean City Gym. God, it was close. That Water Pulse attack was killing my Oddish with the confusion side effect, so I had to switch out with my :008:. I used Bite on Starmie which surprised me because it was Super Effective. I later found out it was because Starmie was also a Psychic type and they were weak against Dark type attacks. So, my Oddish and my :008: were the clutch players in that gym battle. Later on, I was able to catch a Lvl 15 Pidgey and started grinding it easily up to a Lvl 21 :017: . My team looks good so far even if half of them would be weak against Lt. Surge's Pokemon, but I'll work around it.

:017: The Rise of Silver Wing.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Bumping this thread as starting a Nuzlocke
I have nothing better to do right now and the reveal of Lucario inspired me to do a Nuzlocke

So let's get started, The game I'm doing is the popular rom hack, Light Platinum. Hopefully doing a rom hack is allowed though. Light Platinum has gens 1-5 in it. Anyways, let's get to the game, the prof., named Jasmine, like usual explains the world of Pokemon and asks me if I'm a boy or a girl. Even though I'm male, I decided to mix it up and chose the girl trainer. The prof. then asks my name, let's just go with Emblem.

After the brief introduction, i wake up from a strange dream involving Arceus and the Sinnoh main legendaries. So my mom tells me to go to central city where the Prof. says something strange is going on, so I head right over. I walk outside my house to see a person fly right to my house. He came to bring me to the Prof. so he flies me over, luckily, I don't have to go into the grass without a pokemon. I find out the man who flew me was the champion of the region Kaori.

So we end up in Central town to met Jasmine who's with... Ash Ketchum? Wait your telling me I'm in the anime right now, whatever. Wait, Ash is world Champion of all the regions, this is definitely isn't trying to be canon. Some plot related stuff happens you probably won't care about, but then a Team Steam appears and we have to protect the Prof. She gives me a choice of one the Kanto starters in her bag. I'm going to do this ProJared style and use a 6 sided die to pick my starter, and it's 2... so here comes Bulbasaur. Not the luckiest pic because of the first Gym but oh well. I defeat his lvl 2 Poochyena with 2 tackles and he runs off.

So it's time to nickname Bulbasaur... how 'bout Giget, yeah sounds cool. Welcome to the team Giget. We go back to the lab in my hometown, get some pokeballs and I notice an item on Giget, a Moomoo milk that sure would be helpful. I talk to a little girl outside and get a max potion, wow, that early, this might be a sign of how hard the game might be...

So lets go out on to route 401, and there's a patch of grass, woo-hoo, lets see what it with holds, please don't be one of those rodent pokemon. *crosses fingers*. And it's a.... Wurmple. *sigh* Guess I have to catch it. I get it down to red and catch it, with 1 pokeball. I'll nickname it... um....Oswald, that's good enough, Welcome Oswald. I'm going to stop here for right now, so until next time, on FireEmblemnier's Light Platinum Nuzlocke!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I hope no one minds a double post, but i've been playing through it some more, so I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

Anyways, lets get into our first route trainer battle, Bug Catcher Jos'e (too bad my keyboard doesn't have that "e" with the accent.) What 4 Pokemon, already!. Oh thank Arceus, it's just some Caterpies and Venipede's. There was no healing area so far, so I guess Giget has to do this without Oswald at the moment, no problem. This battle sure was helpful, it got Giget up to level 10 and he learned Leech seed (one of the most valuable moves in a nuzlocke) and Vine Whip, great for STAB.

So after the battle, I find a item in a patch of tall grass and what do you know, it's a potion. That would be useful for later. I walk further through the route and get into a battle with Youngster Juan! I defeat his Poochyena and he sends out Spearow. S***. It used peck and Giget goes down to 5 hp, I quickly go to my potion and use it. I lucked out and after I heal I got a critical with tackle. First near death exp. people! He then sends out electrike. and then I realize he has 3 pokemon still left. Welp... time to spam Leech seed and tackle on them. The electrike uses Thunder wave, but it's not the worst of the status effects, so I can deal with it. After defeating the electrike He then proceeds sending out Pidgey. Great another ****ing flying type! I do the usual leech seed, tackle and it only did a few sand attacks. Luckily my attacks didn't miss and I manage to defeat it. The youngster then sends out Blitzle, I put down a Leech seed, and the blitzle barrages Giget with quick attacks while I miss. Luckily, my Leech seed kept me near full, so I eventually defeat it.

A guy gives me theif to use on berry trees, but no one in my party can learn it, so no berries for me, yet. I get into another fight with a bug catcher who sends out Kricetot. Well, just my luck, ran out of PP for Leech seed.... I defeat the bug without having it, and they send out caterpie. I defeat it to run out of PP in tackle. NO! I try switching to Oswald and he gets one shotted by rollout. ****. This leads me to have to try Giget with Vine Whip. Of course not very effective... Venipede kills him with a crit and it's over sadly... Mostly because there's no healing of PP anywhere in the first town, plus the fact there were mostly bugs and flying type trainers on the route. it was inevitable... Sad to see this only last 2 parts, though. I'll probs try again, with a different pokemon, like Charmander.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I get the wanting a separate post for new information, but in the future, please use the edit button for such a short time between posts. :)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
O,k so let's start this over right, it was unwise to randomize my starter in a rom hack. As most of them are challenging for those die hard veterans, like me and many others, even without doing a nuzlocke. Also if you didn't know I write this as I play, to make sure I don't forget any important details.

So this time I choose a male trainer and name him Fire. Since I addressed everything that happens at the beginning in my first attempt, I'll save time skipping to my starter choosing. So, who am I going to pick, Charmander, the best choice, IMO for Light Platinum. You guys already know of the first route, but there's more than that, you'll learn soon enough, readers (I think I'm becoming HCBailly, now. :awesome:). So I defeat the Poochyena with a quick scratch, and the Prof. lets me keep the Charmander and nickname it... And I know the perfect name... Vengeance! :evil:. I know you're going to be an asset to my Nuzlocke, hopefully.

I check Vengeance's nature, Serious. Could be better, but it's better to have a neutral than bad nature, honestly. I prepare to go to route one by getting the Max potion from the little girl and etc. and set off. I go into the grass, hoping for anything. Bidoof appears, I'm actually glad, Bidoof is actually really useful especially compared to the other rodents and Wurmple, so let's hope I catch him. I get him down to red and catch him with a pokeball. Now time to name this magnificent BEAST. Hercules is fitting for something as strong as this guy. :awesome: Caught at level 2.

Now, I proceed to Bug Catcher Jos'e, like usual he sends out a caterpie, and Vengeance is going to field day with this route, unlike... *sniff* Giget... no, I should just forget Giget and start the legacy of Vengeance and Hercules! Vengeance defeats Caterpie and gains a his first level. He then goes with Venipede. My HP was getting low, so I used my Moomoo Milk, and then scrath it to death. This gives him 2 levels, wow, Venipedes gives lots of xp. I also learned Ember, He sends out another Venipede, and kill it with a single ember. Gaining another 2 levels leaving me at level 10. D***, Vengeance your a killing machine. I switch to Hercules to let him join in on the XP, then switch back to Ven, to finish off his last Pokemon, Caterpie.

I grab the potion in the patch of grass and continue to Youngster Juan. I sent out Hercules first, to train him and switch to Vengeance who would finish off his Pidgey. Being level 10 already, Vengeance could take plenty of his, so I kept the same tactic to train Hercules. At the end of the battle Vengeance was level 11, and Hercules level 6.

I got the Theif TM from a guy near a berry tree and I teach it to Hercules. I go to Bug catcher Matt, the evil guy who finished my last adventure, and I use the same tactic as last battle. With Vengeance this battle is not as bad since he mostly has bugs and flying types. The venipede gets a lucky poison sting and poisons Vengence, but I have no fear with his HP being high as it is. He sends out his final pokemon Metapod, and I let Hercules tackle it to High heavens and I beat that annoying Bug Catcher.

After the battle I rush to the Pokemon Center in Central City, keeping an ee on Vengeance's HP. I get there looking at Charmander's HP, 5. Phew... disaster averted. With a almost terrifying death, I felt it was a good place to leave off. Till next time. Will Fire, Vengeance, and Hercules be able to pull through this un-arceusly Nuzlocke venture? Find out next time!

Top Bottom