• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Novel Writing Support Thread (New Format)

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
With Nanowrimo just around the corner, I wanted to check up and see how you guys were doing. Anyone doing outlines, or is everyone taking the guerilla approach? Lets all have a productive couple of weeks, good luck!

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
So guys, this is my first nanowrimo. I'm working on an outline and stuff already and was wondering if it is really as hard as everyone says? Any tips or advice?

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
^^^

You'll want to quit.

That's not me insulting you, that's me telling you that the urge to quit is inevitable especially when working at the pace required for the nanowrimo program.

You'll want to, but don't--that's my advice.

shadow-gate

Smash Cadet
i'm signing up right now, i got a tiny story i have in mind. i'll post my story here too. 50k is like an jr high school level book, not very long. ppl have said it turns out to be about 200 pages.

i can't promise i'll finish, but i'll make a thread and post what i have. good luck!

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
From wikipedia:
Notable novels of roughly 50,000 words include The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Brave New World, and The Great Gatsby.
So if you've read one of those you can get a general idea of what to shoot for

shadow-gate

Smash Cadet
hmm, i forgot gatsby was 50k.

so how does the group thing work? i'm a little confused about the whole thing. you just upload your story on the website, but how do you connect to other people?

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
M3D is doing it! Even if you don't hit the goal, you'll learn a lot about yourself and how to improve your writing just by trying to do it. Sign up!

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to retract my participation in Nanowrimo. I'll be writing as I usually do throughout the month, but after considering the requirements of the program, writing at the pace needed to meet the goal wouldn't benefit my current project as I'm way too deep into now.

I don't want to be the guy to prevent a group from making the goal. So good luck to everyone and make sure you don't kill yourselves.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Nanowrimo looks like a really fun and interesting idea. I'm considering trying my luck, but I'm not sure what I'd write about or if school would leave me with enough time. I'll probably be getting home at 9:00 PM for quite a few days this month and I'll have regular homework to do. Should I give it a shot anyways?

Also, today I wrote more in my book for the first time in a few months (it's not about 68 pages). It wasn't as hard to move on as I had made it out to be in my mind. XD I also rewrote the first four chapters trying to make the beginning more interesting. I'm not exactly sure if it worked out though. I ended up basically just screwing up the chronological order of everything, which may or may not have worked. My mom and my English teacher are both being lazy when it comes to reading it, so I haven't had any feedback =/.

shadow-gate

Smash Cadet
i'm still doing it, but something tells me i'll have a shortened story. i already have a plot ready. the weird thing is, outlines are pretty hard for me. for me, it's more of a visual thing

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I've never posted in this sub forum ever... don't know why really...

I'm on 44,122 words of my NaNoWriMo project right now. Whilst that is good for word count, I'm only now reaching a halfway point in the overall story. Yikes.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I'm writing a novel too. I'm pretty young, but I don't get bored easily.

If I had known about Nanowrimo earlier, I would have given it a shot. :ohwell:

Something that helps is writing every single idea, even the crappiest ones on a piece of paper. Even though you think they're useless, rereading them later on gives you new ideas, I have no idea why.

Dark_Kuro

Smash Rookie
Oh god Nano xD I'm waayyy behind on that...

I find that I can get a lot of inspiration by looking at old stuff I drew/wrote as a kid. I got a lot of character ideas from my old childhood stories.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
Its been awhile since I checked this out. My computers been dead for a good two weeks.

A couple of things: firstly, I hope our NanoWrimo people are doing well. With a couple more weeks left, I hope we get some great success stories posted come December. Secondly, I was thinking of altering the thread format (yet again) to include in depth discussion on specific facets of novel writing. Kind of like how the character forums change match-up discussions every week or so. Sound good? And if so, what kind of topics would you guys like to discuss. Thanks!

shadow-gate

Smash Cadet
i seriously can't expand more on the story that i wanted...i only got to 44,000. instead of trying to droll on, i just ended the story. i mean, 50K would have been nice, but i finished the story so i was happy about it.

Top Bottom