• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NoJ Played Project Melee thread.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
At last I got to play Project Melee. Had a great time at the tournament, although I didnt do as well as I thought I was going to do, I feel like I did some positive things and did get some videos. Most the videos are super janky recorded on a bloggie touch. Im charging my camera and will post some videos soon enough! This may be the only time I play PM for long time and it was a blast!

As promised here are some videos. Theres more comming to and yes you get to see me get ***** by a falco :)

Vs DK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-yGQnOkqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dMuWMTwQ0

Vs Squirtle/Sonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4aUGZbsGDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elPavZgwOqQ

And the moment youve all been waiting for, me getting wrecked by Falco. Yes im a noob for not using my bucket lol

Vs Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AkFem3olw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLjzfNnWDbY

Oracle

Smash Master
PM may play the same as melee, but g&w sure as hell doesn't. So many techniques that work in pm like uair up b combos or bacon stuff have no equivalent in melee.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah thats true, you will definitely have to break out of certain habbits that you might have had in melee with GW. he has a lot of juggling combos in PM, like 1w1nged @ngel said. a typical combo you can pull of consistently on fastfallers is something like dair > utilt > uair > uair > up b > fair/hammer/nair/dair or something else depending on DI. his SH double bacon gives him a much better approach and makes him much more safe with it and reliable against characters that he would have previously had troubles with, especially in the speed department. his uair and dair now have landing hits, and with his frame 1 up b (which he doesnt go into helpless afterwards), and his ranged aerials that now can ALL be L cancelled, his shield pressure is actually quite good. Nair is +1 on shield when L cancelled, and frying pan is +6 on shield since it land cancels with even less lag than fox or falcos SH blasters. judgement is now insane, lmfao. read up on all the buffs it got. the other big change is his bucket. you can now fire it prematurely by pressing b while its out. this makes him handle approaches from the likes of falco, fox, and lucas quite while. Other than that, his ground attacks have all mostly been buffed, with ftilt having much less lag, and having a hitbox that stays out way longer, jab is much more reliable and doesnt loop 50 times making it a quick, safe option, dash attack stays out longer, goes a tad farther, and ends sooner i believe, and all of his smash attacks seeing an increase in power, damage, and hitbox propeties (dsmash sourspot semi spike, usmash DACUS, increased power on fsmash hitboxes later in the move).

most of his big issues have been adressed: a functional shield combined with up b gives him great pressure escaping options; more effective ground attacks and a great cancelling projectile give him a much better approach and defense game; L cancelable aerials in combo with range and his frame 1 up b give him great pressuring on shield; and more efficient combos/tech chases and a variety of semi spikes (pan, dsmash, 2 judgement numbers), powerful killers (fair, judgement, nair, ftilt, dtilt, all of his smash attacks), and a lot of disjoint give him a ton of killing potential, and great kill combos. as a GW player in melee, i think you will love the changes they made to him in PM.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, it's good to get the background via Melee, but really he has so many more options in P:M.

Playing him in Melee doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the transition to P:M Watch, however. j00t serves as an excellent example.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Wow G13_Flux very informative post. I did also play him in brawl for a couple years, that got me used to his UpB spamming ways. :) But the rest of his buffs I cant wait to try out. The UpB plus the fact he can cancel all his aerials is SUPER exciting to me. Sadly I dont have a Wii right now or any means of transportation. Ill get some matches recorded though once I finally do get to play. I think theres a tournament on March 9th. Until then im going to be posting a practice video every other day or so, if you like them thats great maybe youll see something you never thought of before or maybe you can expand on some of the stuff I do, I only do this because I cant seem to find any really good GW's for PM that are really taking combos into depth consistently though I have seen some insanity out there :). But also just as a record to see how my old melee skills are honing up again. But again thanks for the informative posts and not flaming me immediately because its melee videos and not PM.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
nah its fine haha. cant hate on someone who wants to start adapting their playstyle to project M. you are right tho, very few out there play GW. if you read through more of the PM forums, youll find that a lot of people think he is the worst character in the game. they really just have sour feelings left from melee, and arent really taking into consideration how the character has changed. ive been advocating GWs prowess for a bit, so ive been trying to give really good insights and provide arguments that show how he has changed, what the issues were in melee, and how he doesnt have those issues anymore. but regardless, there are still some fair gameplay vids in GWs video thread here, so it might be worthwhile for you to compare how you play to how people play him in PM. it will give u some good insight to how u can make the switch, and u can also see what combos you do that might be able to carry over. i noticed your fair chain combo in ur video, and i can say off the bat that im pretty sure that didnt carry over (fair has very horizontal KB now, at least on the strong hit, could be wrong about the weak one though). but his bair actually takes the place of that utilization, as it has lower KB, but a similar angle that you can follow up with more chains, or another move to segway into something else, plus it has insane shield eating capabilities. i will test that tomorrow though just to be sure about fairs KB angle and let you know so that you have an idea of what to expect.

juushichi, i have noticed that a lot of melee players in general didnt really carry over their characters to PM. i can see how some might be attatched to melee GW if theyve come to know the character well. but ill guess u will just have to decide that for yourself NoJ!

oh and one more thing i forgot that you will definitely appreciate: they raised his weight up by ten points so that he is almost as heavy as fox now. not a gigantic difference, but it definitely gives you some much needed leeway.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
nah its fine haha. cant hate on someone who wants to start adapting their playstyle to project M. you are right tho, very few out there play GW. if you read through more of the PM forums, youll find that a lot of people think he is the worst character in the game. they really just have sour feelings left from melee, and arent really taking into consideration how the character has changed. ive been advocating GWs prowess for a bit, so ive been trying to give really good insights and provide arguments that show how he has changed, what the issues were in melee, and how he doesnt have those issues anymore. but regardless, there are still some fair gameplay vids in GWs video thread here, so it might be worthwhile for you to compare how you play to how people play him in PM. it will give u some good insight to how u can make the switch, and u can also see what combos you do that might be able to carry over. i noticed your fair chain combo in ur video, and i can say off the bat that im pretty sure that didnt carry over (fair has very horizontal KB now, at least on the strong hit, could be wrong about the weak one though). but his bair actually takes the place of that utilization, as it has lower KB, but a similar angle that you can follow up with more chains, or another move to segway into something else, plus it has insane shield eating capabilities. i will test that tomorrow though just to be sure about fairs KB angle and let you know so that you have an idea of what to expect.

juushichi, i have noticed that a lot of melee players in general didnt really carry over their characters to PM. i can see how some might be attatched to melee GW if theyve come to know the character well. but ill guess u will just have to decide that for yourself NoJ!

oh and one more thing i forgot that you will definitely appreciate: they raised his weight up by ten points so that he is almost as heavy as fox now. not a gigantic difference, but it definitely gives you some much needed leeway.

Wow! I was gonna ask about his weight.... Thats a HUGE leg up. Im sad to hear his Fair chains dont work, Ill still try it though and see if theres anything workable, I thought I saw someone do it, but either way I have many MANY more ways of getting the job done. GW was a awesome character in Melee, his problem was he didnt have a shield, the fact that he was light wasnt so bad except he had NO shield basically. A lot of moves you just could not block, like Lasers, making Falco a hard counter it was pathetic considering I had one of the best falcos in the country in my crew and is actually one of my best friends. Im so excited to play him in PM its out of control, its literally eating me away inside.... just when I thought I was done with smash.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
That's what P:M will do for you.

I think the good thing about the 'Watch boards is that there isn't exactly an over-saturation of mains. Since there are so few of us (10s, I say... 10s) if we're willing to be open about the communication, we can really begin to push this meta-game forward.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i feel that a lot of characters pages get bogged down by over zealous casual players that are in a craze about them. like fox, falco, ike and sonic for example. and that takes away from a lot of potential constructive development and interaction between people, and instead is filled with obnoxious conversation and blatantly obvious remarks about the characters. for instance, i was posting in the fox MU thread for awhile and was trying to get people to start thinking without bias, and looking at potential MUs that are difficult for fox, and what types of attributes can give him trouble. i named off a couple characters that i thought could fit the bill and stated a few quick reasons why to let people expand on them. the best response i could get was either nothing, or "fox doesnt have any disadvantageous MUs." and i think that is very one sided and impulsive based on the fact that PM is a different game with buffed characters that have a lot more potential. if anyones gonna post in the GW page, its gonna be people who actually care about the character, and will try to contribute to things that are good about him. for the most part at least lol.

edit: looking at day 2 NoJ, you used a lot of dair and dtilt combos to lead into smashes, fairs, and nairs. those definitely work well in PM, and in fact combos like that have even increased usage based on the buffs to dairs shield pressure capabilities, and GWs better aerial combos. from what i saw on your day 2 video, a lot of things i saw in the first few minutes definitely have even increased practicality in PM.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Videos up, a couple more coming as well. Sorry for the janky video quality... I really had no setup for the camera either so I didnt take to many videos considering there was only 3 PM setups and like 50-60 people. Plus the flicker rate was screwed up on my camera.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Nice stuff. My only critique for now is if charging Dsmash forces DK to recover high you should let it rip and mash up-B. It should trade in your favor.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
at 2:53 on the squirtle match, shoulda ended it with judgement instead of bair! lol but good stuff overall. i definitely agree with the darkmetroid, i think you used dsmash at times that an fsmash ,dtilt, or ftilt would have handled better. while dsmash does have great range and coverage, the hitbox isnt out for long, and its not as good at out-prioritizing opponents moves. i find the best use for it after dthrows to tech chase, or on platforms. one more thing, i think youd get more of a benefit from trying to stay grounded more often and using up b a tad less. it is a great pressure escape option, and u did use correctly a lot of the time, but some of the times i think GW has better punishes on the ground. over using it often tends to just make you give up positional advantage against ur opponent instead of actually punishing them and defending space against them. but you defintely have a good hold on GW, especially for being much more accustomed to the melee version of him.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
In the squirtle and sonic matches it shows a little more of your inexperience with the situations. Like when he sent down the first spring and you didn't immediately up-B through it. It seems like you were just getting by, by being better at smash than he was (throwing out hitboxes and making decent reactions). Those two characters are both very mobile but neither can really approach G&W as long has he isn't horizontal to them. Just staying on platforms and reacting would have probably swung the matches WAY in your favor.

In the falco match I would say you held your own pretty well. Falco is pretty brutal because G&W doesn't have a lot of options to escape his pressure the best you've got is to Up-B away or jump to an unexpected platform. The thing that was the most painful to watch in those matches was you let him shoot at you while you were recovering. G&W doesn't have to take that ****, those were free buckets! You could have easily won the set just off of that one difference.

Top Bottom