• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's a SWORD! That's SO cool!

I doubt it, but if it had like, some Ghost Knight evolution, that would be ridiculous. I'm just epecting it to become a BETTER sword, or not evolve at all.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's a SWORD! That's SO cool!

I doubt it, but if it had like, some Ghost Knight evolution, that would be ridiculous. I'm just epecting it to become a BETTER sword, or not evolve at all.
A ghost knight evolution would be absolutely awesome, not gonna lie.

For now I'm kind of...confused...by this Pokemon, though...I've never been much of a fan of inanimate objects as Pokemon. God knows this is going to become the new Garbador / Vanilluxe line for sixth gen, though, meaning that people who don't like it will cite "There's a sword Pokemon!" as their sole argument for hating every single Pokemon in the generation.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It seems that the Steel/Ghost-type combo is only weak to Fire and Ground attacks, much like with the Steel/Psychic-type combo. Of course, Foresight, Odor Sleuth, and the Scrappy ability, does give the Steel/Ghost-type an additional weakness against the Fighting-type.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
What do you guys think of the new trailer?

The more I learn about this game the more I'm hyped for it... It's looking REALLY freaking good.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Dear lord, they did. They made a Steel/Ghost type.

If there's no sort of lame gimmick with unsheathing itself, this looks like an add to my playthrough team.

Pretty good defensive typing, is only weak to Fire & Ground, and has immunities to Normal, Fighting, & Poison.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If there's no sort of lame gimmick with unsheathing itself, this looks like an add to my playthrough team.

Pretty good defensive typing, is only weak to Fire & Ground, and has immunities to Normal, Fighting, & Poison.
According to serebii it unsheathes itself as an animation before battle

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
What do you guys think of the new trailer?

The more I learn about this game the more I'm hyped for it... It's looking REALLY freaking good.
It really, really does. That trailer is amazing.

I'm starting to speculate on the version legendaries' typing. I think Xerneas is either Fairy/Steel, Grass/Steel, Steel/Psychic, or Grass/Fairy. Yvetal is probably Dragon/Dark or Dark/Flying.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can't say I'm really fond of the sword pokémon, though I'm interested to see what it evolves into.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Dag nabbit, first the fighting panda now a ghost/steel possessed weapon/possible knight...

And technically even the fire cub since one of my starters is a tiger cub... similar but bleh.

Gamefreak has been stealing ideas from my roster :c

Mewter

Smash Master
Dag nabbit, first the fighting panda now a ghost/steel possessed weapon/possible knight...

And technically even the fire cub since one of my starters is a tiger cub... similar but bleh.

Gamefreak has been stealing ideas from my roster :c
I once drew an ice dragon with frozen body parts and lines running down its grey torso. Its overall color scheme included blue and yellow.
You can imagine my surprise when Kyurem was revealed!

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
Relevant passage:

"To be honest, before watching this video, I was a little bit concerned about this new character – initially, the design seemed kind of lazy to me. It really looks like a Zelda-inspired sword, which is fine, but it didn’t really strike me as a character in its own right. Quickly after starting the video, however, I realized that there really has been a lot of effort put into the design for the new games....It’s clear that the developers did a lot of research on France – which is the inspiration for the new region, Kalos – and I’m a little bit less concerned about the design of the overall game. With the shift to a more 3D-centered focus in Pokemon X & Y, the design is going to matter quite a bit for this entry, so it’s good to know that the editors are taking it seriously."

Full article: Pokemon Report: New Pokemon, Honedge, revealed!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
wait, i might have missed this before but was that a wild battle facing 5 houndors?

that's freaking awesome

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Relevant passage:

"To be honest, before watching this video, I was a little bit concerned about this new character – initially, the design seemed kind of lazy to me. It really looks like a Zelda-inspired sword, which is fine, but it didn’t really strike me as a character in its own right. Quickly after starting the video, however, I realized that there really has been a lot of effort put into the design for the new games....It’s clear that the developers did a lot of research on France – which is the inspiration for the new region, Kalos – and I’m a little bit less concerned about the design of the overall game. With the shift to a more 3D-centered focus in Pokemon X & Y, the design is going to matter quite a bit for this entry, so it’s good to know that the editors are taking it seriously."

Full article: Pokemon Report: New Pokemon, Honedge, revealed!
Moved this into here since it really ought to be a part of this thread and not its own.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
wait, i might have missed this before but was that a wild battle facing 5 houndors?

that's freaking awesome
Yeah, those are horde encounters. You get to sometimes encounter several Pokemon at once. I really like that they're Houndour, too, because they have been described to hunt in packs so this fits them perfectly.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here we go:
  • Poke Kid (0-24 posts)
  • Poke-School Student (25-74 posts)
  • Youngster (75-199 posts)
  • Rocket Grunt (200-499 posts)
  • Cool Trainer (500-999 posts)
  • Pokemon Ranger (1000-1999 posts)
  • Gym Leader (2000-2999 posts)
  • League Qualifier (8 Badges) (3000-4999 posts)
  • Pokemon Champion (5000-9999 posts)
  • Professor (10000-19999 posts)
  • Pokemon Master (20000+ posts)
What are you, and what are your Pokemon? (Make them match your level) Ex:
Pokemon Champion Shorts: Champion of Region Based On Hawaii
Pokemon:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I come back and visit this subforum to see what kind of shiz I missed, and this is what I witness? I am disappoint.

Granted, I don't even know why I'm here. I'm planning on doing a Nuzlocke of this on my very first playthrough and I don't want a whole lot of spoilers, but ah well. I guess simply knowing what Pokemon exist in the new game won't hurt.

In regards to the Ghost/Steel Pokemon...he probably won't evolve, as CRASHiC said. And if he does, it will be a knight. Either way, his movepool will likely be either disappointing, or it won't mesh well with his stats. Except for WoW. <3 WoW.

I missed you guys.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I was here if you define here as talking to Ulti.
I was just banned perma.
And now I'm not.
I could go for some french toast but I'm getting kind of chubby and I'm visiting my girlfriend in a month so

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
THE HAPS ARE GOOD

Riddle is going to college in Chicago and wants me to go to Melee tourneys with him. Soooo I'm back! And hopefully to stay for a long while! Although, I haven't talked to him of late about doing it. I'm too ferserious about going to tourneys this time for him to sway me though.

Why the **** am I telling you guys my plans for the future this is so horribly irrelevant.

Has there been discussion over what kind of Pokemon are going to be converted to Fairy-type and how major it could be competitively? Because that's all I got.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
About a month ago, I bought an adapter thing so I could use my GCN controllers on my PC, played Smash for the first time in about a year and a half. Felt so damn good. Apparently netplay is a thing too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
THE HAPS ARE GOOD

Riddle is going to college in Chicago and wants me to go to Melee tourneys with him. Soooo I'm back! And hopefully to stay for a long while! Although, I haven't talked to him of late about doing it. I'm too ferserious about going to tourneys this time for him to sway me though.

Why the **** am I telling you guys my plans for the future this is so horribly irrelevant.

Has there been discussion over what kind of Pokemon are going to be converted to Fairy-type and how major it could be competitively? Because that's all I got.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-and-y-confirmed.332239/page-17#post-15636991

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-and-y-confirmed.332239/page-17#post-15643738

The real discussion starts from Shortie's post though, I just made the chart more inclusive.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
...of course I would just have to go back a page to catch most of it.

I can't agree with Ulti about Jigglypuff in terms of it being a message from Game Freak about their complete unwillingness to remove typings from Pokemon for the sake of the new Fairy typing. I mean, it could be, but I just don't think it's to be taken to that extent. I will say it's more like a sign that they're taking every consideration very seriously.

If they really wanted to make a statement about where their line is drawn for implementation of the new typing into old Pokemon, they would have just revealed Clefairy. We already know it's going to be getting the new typing, both because of its name and because of its bio. If they really wanted to show complete unwillingness, they would have revealed it as one of the new Fairy-types, but with a typing Normal/Fairy. That would have been very clear and concise, and any of us would have come to a very strong conclusion that the new typing would be nothing but a mere addition to a bunch of old Pokemon. It's that simple.

Togepi is another great example of why, by the way. I mean, it may just be me, but It's the only Normal-type Pokemon that's consistently made me scratch my head and think "you don't quite fit in here...I don't know where you'd fit otherwise, but it's certainly not here." Straight-out removing the Normal typing from it and making it Fairy would be a proper move on Game Freak's part, if you ask me.

Add Mew to your list of fairy-types. Unless there's been an announcement that Mew just straight-out won't be getting the new typing, it's a very strong candidate for it. I'm surprised that you guys are mentioning Mewtwo with the inclusion of his new form without seeming to put some serious consideration into Mew (unless I missed that, in which case I apologize).

Add Pikachu and Raichu to the list. Is it probable? Of course not. But Marill was basically Pikablue when GSC was first revealed, and it's already gotten the new typing.

Add Dunsparce. Along with just being entirely too ****ing mystical for its own good, it's also one of the few Pokemon to naturally carry Serene Grace as an ability, which if you look at the list of other Pokemon who get the ability naturally, they're all rather fairy-esque. Plus, it's got dem wings.

Add the Whismur line. This one is also unlikely, but I don't think it's quite as Frafetch'd of an idea as some of your other considerations, so you might as well. It has a similar body structure to the other oldies that have been revealed thus far, a similar-ish background, and I believe its inclusion as a Fairy would be a good move on their parts if only for the sake of broadening the aesthetic for the typing.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
if togekiss is fairy/flying, it's viability goes way up

normal/flying is such a ****ty typing

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wasn't really thinking that would happen, although I guess that was kind of absent-minded of me since there is precedent for that. I feel like Silver Wind is definitely a candidate if they do.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I would say Doubleslap, Covet, Round, and Echoed Voice. I can't think of anything beyond those, or at least not in which the typing would actually matter. I don't see them turning any of the more powerful moves into a new typing anyway. The overall strength of Bite (one of the few moves I know of to undergo a type change between Gen 1 and Gen 2) is probably where you're looking at for a cut-off.

Although as an aside, I can also see moves like Wish, Morning Sun/Moonlight, and any move implying an instrument or song of sorts to be a solid consideration for the Fairy typing as well. There's got to be some flavor thrown in somewhere, and those are my ideas of where they'll put it.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Add Mew to your list of fairy-types. Unless there's been an announcement that Mew just straight-out won't be getting the new typing, it's a very strong candidate for it. I'm surprised that you guys are mentioning Mewtwo with the inclusion of his new form without seeming to put some serious consideration into Mew (unless I missed that, in which case I apologize).

Add Pikachu and Raichu to the list. Is it probable? Of course not. But Marill was basically Pikablue when GSC was first revealed, and it's already gotten the new typing.

Add Dunsparce. Along with just being entirely too ****ing mystical for its own good, it's also one of the few Pokemon to naturally carry Serene Grace as an ability, which if you look at the list of other Pokemon who get the ability naturally, they're all rather fairy-esque. Plus, it's got dem wings.

Add the Whismur line. This one is also unlikely, but I don't think it's quite as Frafetch'd of an idea as some of your other considerations, so you might as well. It has a similar body structure to the other oldies that have been revealed thus far, a similar-ish background, and I believe its inclusion as a Fairy would be a good move on their parts if only for the sake of broadening the aesthetic for the typing.
Very awesome post. I' ll just reply to a few things.

I did not add Mew because I can imagine Game Freak would not want every single potential Fairy candidate to be dual typed. Dual typing has its strengths and weaknesses. Mew being the pure psychic mirage kitten is a bit of a strong nostalgia pull, and though it is indeed possible that Mew can get Fairy, I don't think it's a move they will end up making. Rather, Mew may get many Fairy moves in its default level-up moveset, and/or an alternate ability that gives it STAB on Fairy moves without having the added weaknesses of dual typing. This is also the reason I did not add Pikachu or Raichu. They are a bit too solid of a foundation, both recognizably and in typing, to be given a straight new type. I could be completely wrong about this- but this is just how I see it.

Dunsparce is a good idea. Whismur I can't see very well due to its final evolution, Exploud. It doesn't seem very Fairy like and although I have Darmanitan up, Darmanitan has Zen Mode which connects it somewhat to a potential Fairy typing as well. Exploud... well, he's just Exploud. As far as the list goes at the moment I will add Dunsparce to Fairy types and Pika/Rai to the moves/abilities and put it up sometime today/tomorrow probably.

As for moves, I don't really see them changing move types. Not sure why there would be such a need. Have they changed move types before in previous Gens and I'm just forgetting something?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah, I was stretching it with Mew and Pika/Raichu. I think they fit the theme more than some of the others listed despite the call for nostalgia, which was my main reason for bringing them up.

They changed some of the moves in Gen 2. Bite is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm fairly certain there were a couple more. Changing old moves to the new typing is something they would do out of convenience, as it's that many fewer new moves they have to create to fully flesh out the new type. It would also mean fewer alterations to the preexisting Pokemon's level-up movepool.

Top Bottom