• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently 6' 180 lb, I plan on bulking to either 200 or until the end of November, then I'm gonna shred
I would say put on at least an additional ten lbs because taller people tend to lean out pretty quickly and if you cut efficiently you'll lose more good weight than someone like myself at 5'9. As far as benching goes, some advice I can give you is FOCUS ON INCLINE BENCH. I cannot stress enough to people on how much incline bench improves your flat more than flat does lol. Proper ROM on every rep, all the way down to your chest and back up and that's with dumbell bench too, make sure the edge of the weight hits the side of your chest. I would also suggest starting to grip the bar wider because you engage your chest more, I typically like putting my index fingers on the smooth part in the middle of the knurling and I'm a suicide grip. Personally suicide grip boosted my bench a ton because placing the weight on your palm (at least for me) gives you direct influence on the way for smooth transition of the rep all the way down and all the way up, plus you don't really have to worry about your wrists shifting back and forth because it's always in the back position.

AL3Xxs

Smash Cadet
NNID
AL3Xxs
3DS FC
1762-2852-8466
That's not something to worry about cause to be honest I plan on staying for a long time. It's funny though because I'm pretty confident with my Smash game and if I ever have issues I lurk before posting. So I might end up having a higher post total towards this thread vs actual Smash.

A lot to put it the simple stupid way. You probably have a fast metabolism and you have been going to the gym so I would suggest trying to tack on a 4000 calorie diet consisting of mostly protein, fat, and carbs in a 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carb ratio. It's fine if you use protein powder but try not to substitute calories with a mass gainer simply from the cost perspective of food being cheaper (actual groceries, white rice & red meat a best) and 4000 is actually pretty doable to the average person i.e Cleaner fast food (just stay away from unnecessary sugars). That's what will give you a lot of bad weight, fat is fine because it does boost lifts but I'd stick to a 15 - 17% bf bulk. As for finding it difficult to eat I would suggest make actual times, you don't have to take it all at once but it is possible to eat 1000 calories four times a day. You can mix it up just be careful about carbs Wake up like 6 am, eat lunch 12 pm, dinner 5, and before bed. Breakfast use eggs, red meat, and white rice (1/2 a cup tops) glass of milk and try to hit 25 g of protein. Lunch: I like to get a protein style 4x4 In'N'Out burger for pleasure sometimes, 800 calories 40 g protein. When I don't get that I'll have more red meat, HEAVILY BUTTERED steamed Broccoli/Boil Spinach, Butter High in Fat + Calories. Hit the gym like 2 hours later (you can do after dinner if you want, or any time really just make sure you're spacing out your protein. Wait like an hour then take a protein shake 2 scoops, most commonly it'll estimate 150 calories + 50 g protein, you can use milk to add more calories but adds bit of sugar & extra protein you're going to pee out. Note: It's complete bro science of having to take a shake immediately after the gym, your body processes protein the same no matter what. Wait another 2 1/2 - 3 hours, White meat like pre made chicken breast pieces (spice it up because plain chicken tastes boring), more butter sauteed vegetables, and another 1/2 cup of white rice. Then right before you go to bed eat more white meat (potatoes if you can but salt them) and another cup of whole milk, the calories at night from the potatoes as well as the rice through today will most likely be stored as fat as lifting probably only burns 150-200ish calories but that's what you want. Stick to a diet like this and you'll put a lot of good weight, and some bad weight but that's what cutting is for. If you're wondering "but boiling/steaming vegetables take away the other macro nutrients from it" to be honest vegetables take up a good amount of space in your stomach and you can get the other stuff from multi vitamins, might as well make the vegetables calorie'd up.

You're welcome,
Sincerely Muscle_Senpai.
Thank you senpai!! lol I appreciate the help. By the way. I was wondering if that thing about somatotype (mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph) is true. I know genetics play a big role in the amount of muscle I will be able to build, but I'd like to have a realistic weight goal lol. According to it, I would be considered a ectomorph.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Thank you senpai!! lol I appreciate the help. By the way. I was wondering if that thing about somatotype (mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph) is true. I know genetics play a big role in the amount of muscle I will be able to build, but I'd like to have a realistic weight goal lol. According to it, I would be considered a ectomorph.
Those are factors however they don't limit how much muscle weight you can gain but rather how easily you put on and where you gather weight, you being an ecto is kind of nice, while it is harder to gain weight, anything you do gain generally will be leaner muscle a.k.a the good weight you want. You'll hardly gain stomach weight

Last edited:

AL3Xxs

Smash Cadet
NNID
AL3Xxs
3DS FC
1762-2852-8466
Those are factors however they don't limit how much muscle weight you can gain but rather how easily you put on and where you gather weight, you being an ecto is kind of nice, while it is harder to gain weight, anything you do gain generally will be leaner muscle a.k.a the good weight you want. You'll hardly gain stomach weight
I guess that's one good thing about being a ecto lol.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Muscle_Senpai"post: 20195702 said:
Lol I'm not talking every meal homie. Having it twice a month isn't bad for you, it's kind of just within your realm of options feel me?
I don't bulk very cleanly but I still have a yood amount of muscle on me

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
I don't normally see dumb **** in the gym, but when I do it's some real dumb ****.
Some skinny kid loads up 375 on the Smith Machine for flat bench. Proceeds to do 3 reps of 1/128 no 1/256 no 1/512th a ROM. Basically looks like he's just holding the weight, then has to ask for help to rerack forward.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
It's bad from a stability standpoint if you're looking to do free weight lifting but from a muscular building standpoint it isn't. It allows for just as much stretch of the muscle and the point of it is safety for pushing your limits without a spot/without dying. I have an iron master at home it's like a Smith, Power rack hybrid that needs to be greased because it's completely vertical and doesn't work off a pulley so full weight and I promise you that 315 is just as hard on that as it is on actual bench.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
tfw i now bench and squat 1pl8 after 4ever

i just now got back into squatting so my weight is a little lower than it should be

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
What y'all ******* think about PEDs?
Despite the nonchalant question I'm attempting to incite a serious conversation.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
This thread is still going all these years later :D Last time I posted I'm pretty sure I was starting to exercise and lift a bit but I've totally given it up now.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Finally going back to the gym after a month of not going. Feels ****ing great brah.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Aahh, looking forward to finally breaking my 40 lb dumbbell curl to 45 lbs sometime in the near-future. ha ha. Been a little stagnant for a bit, so I'm currently on a couple week hiatus (overall, in fact), then looking to get back into the groove of things again, full force! Being that I actually have never had a gym membership, and have only started feeling weights out maybe once a week for the past few months with a friend, I'm not really too discouraged. . . Reaching 45 lbs would end up being a little over 1 / 3 rd of my body weight (134 lbs), though, so that in of itself is a pleasant sounding prospect, at least in my head! ha ha. Ready to continue breaking my limits come the new year!

** Just for reference, I primarily train in more in calisthenic / body weight movements, and I am also a dancer (B-Boy), so while 134 lbs may seem tiny to most of the average gym-goers looking for bulk and whatever, it suits my personal lifestyle (and to be blunt, my own personal tastes in appearance) much better. To each their own, right? ^_^

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Aahh, looking forward to finally breaking my 40 lb dumbbell curl to 45 lbs sometime in the near-future. ha ha. Been a little stagnant for a bit, so I'm currently on a couple week hiatus (overall, in fact), then looking to get back into the groove of things again, full force! Being that I actually have never had a gym membership, and have only started feeling weights out maybe once a week for the past few months with a friend, I'm not really too discouraged. . . Reaching 45 lbs would end up being a little over 1 / 3 rd of my body weight (134 lbs), though, so that in of itself is a pleasant sounding prospect, at least in my head! ha ha. Ready to continue breaking my limits come the new year!

** Just for reference, I primarily train in more in calisthenic / body weight movements, and I am also a dancer (B-Boy), so while 134 lbs may seem tiny to most of the average gym-goers looking for bulk and whatever, it suits my personal lifestyle (and to be blunt, my own personal tastes in appearance) much better. To each their own, right? ^_^
Good stuff man. You'll get to your goal.

And yeah, to each their own. Don't let anyone tell you different. Remember, it's your body, your choice.

Happy New Year 2016

Thank you based SIR.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This thread is gonna be a lot better with the like button. Good luck in all your endeavors this year Smashers

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Yo we need to start having progress checks at the beginning of every month.
We'll label Goals, Current Weight, Amount Lost/Gained, and your lifts. It might be insignificant but I mean that's 1 more person keeping tabs on you; pressure on your own ego/desire to improve oneself.
You could drop a pic too if you want.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Guys I'm going to be restocking my protein soon butI haven't had much in the variety of flavors. Any recommendations?

Yo we need to start having progress checks at the beginning of every month.
We'll label Goals, Current Weight, Amount Lost/Gained, and your lifts. It might be insignificant but I mean that's 1 more person keeping tabs on you; pressure on your own ego/desire to improve oneself.
You could drop a pic too if you want.
That's a good idea. Especially if there are people who are new to fitness and need the push to stick past the initial first weeks.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I started working out 3 months ago because I'm 16, 6'1" and 130 lbs. I'm a distance runner with a distance runner's build, so even though I can tell I'm getting far stronger, so far I know no one else can (unless I arm wrestle them). I know I'm being superficial, but if I'm just naturally built pretty stringy what groups should I focus on to start to look ripped? I've been doing good deal of lats, and honestly I can't really tell, apart from being consistently sore under my armpits... I'm also focusing a lot of traps which is kind of showing, and my chest, which is pretty much refusing to do anything. What I'm saying is, I'm very new to this, plan to continue with it, and would like some general tips on 'getting there.' Am I just being impatient, or are there any habits I should pick up?

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Spot growing and vice versa reduction isn't a thing to focus on. Yes a certain muscle group can be lacking so you can put more focus on it, but that doesn't mean slouch on anything else either.. Building good quality muscle takes a while so make sure you stick to a good routine and constantly push yourself

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
My reasoning was that my biceps, triceps, deltoids, calves etc. have been getting bigger faster that those areas, and I didn't know if I should start being more vigorous in those areas... or if I was just being impatient. I definitely appreciate the advice!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Guys I'm going to be restocking my protein soon butI haven't had much in the variety of flavors. Any recommendations?
I never really strayed away from buying either Strawberry or Banana, personally, but everyone's different. I know a few people who love chocolate, but I find that it tastes terrible. . . Well, at least if you go with water. With milk is a different story, though.

Edit: Hit 13 muscle-ups. . . New PR for myself. Form gets a little wonky after 8 or so, but hey, still got up there. Ha ha. 42.5's lbs on dumbbells now, also!

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I never really strayed away from buying either Strawberry or Banana, personally, but everyone's different. I know a few people who love chocolate, but I find that it tastes terrible. . . Well, at least if you go with water. With milk is a different story, though.

Edit: Hit 13 muscle-ups. . . New PR for myself. Form gets a little wonky after 8 or so, but hey, still got up there. Ha ha. 42.5's lbs on dumbbells now, also!
Brah, I always go with milk.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
It's Chocolate or Die, you know that OMG.

New Routine for the next 12 weeks: 5x10 Heavy.
Then switching to 3x15 for 12 weeks
then back to 5x5 for 12.
Rinse, Repeat.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
You just started so it'll take time to do them without machine help. You should be able to do them soon though since triceps are like 2/3rds of your arm. Eventually you'll start adding weight on your waist too.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Question: Does anyone have any metabolism supplements that work. I want to start working out again, but because I'm older I don't burn fat like I used to. I'd like to get started on a metabolism booster, see what that does by itself if anything at all, and then based on that plan my work outs.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Bump.

What are you summer goals guys?
Deadlift - Current (260); Goal (315) - 3 sets of 5

Squats - Current (240); Goal (265'ish) - 4 sets of 8

Bench (Flat) - Current (195); Goal (225) - 5 sets of 6 to 8

.:: Random notes to keep in mind ::.

- I am 5' 7", and only weigh about 137 lbs as of right now (intentionally so. The Bruce Lee kind of body is my preference).

- I've been in the gym for less than 3 months total (began on March 13th of this year), although I had some foundational strength from having trained some in calisthenics prior (and I'm a B-boy as well).

- I take ZERO supplements (no pre-workout, no protein, no creatine, etc.).

- I train 6 / 7 days of the week (hit every body part twice a week, with Sunday being my recovery day).

- Leg day is actually my favorite day, believe it or not (hahaha).

So yeah. . . Mainly pointing these things out, for anyone who just might be starting, or needed some motivation (or whatever the case may be). It's cliche in a way, but hard work and self-discipline really does pay off, so long as you know what you are doing I suppose. Ha ha. Incorporating weights along with some of the calisthenic training I've already been doing has been great, and I've definitely been able to notice my gains both physically and aesthetically as well. When I first attempted weighted squats, for instance, I was only able to do 130 lbs, and just today I hit 240 for 4 sets of 8. Deadlifts even more-so; I only began incorporating this lift about a month and a half ago now (mid-April), and began at 135 lbs (was sore for days after that first time, lmao!), and today I hit 260 for 3 sets of 5. Feels great, seeing this constant progression from the work I've been putting in, and I am actually quite confident that I'll be hitting all of the goal numbers I'm aspiring towards before summers end. Just have to keep on training, everyone! Never stop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom