• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Long Island Smash Thread

Alejandro_P

Smash Ace
Yeah, everybody gets nervous. I saw alehandro (dun know how to spell his name) literally shaking when he was playing that PIka at the Game Table.(you know, when everybody crowded around that little TV to see the results? Just keep coming to tourneys, you get used to it
Yeah my hands shake all the time during matches, I've never got over getting nervous regardless who I play. It makes me play better tbh.

Mr Kain

Smash Apprentice
Guys if you wanna know about game table, I talked to dave about that, told me how everybodys been wanting a weekly, but he's looking forward to monthlys instead. He might be starting melee tourneys also as well.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
so another question from my second tourney at battlegrounds --

at what point do i get verbally pissed at someone for straight camping?

in my 5th round or so before dropping to ryank, i beat a fox with 2 stocks left, and then he switched to marth. i took his first stock with only taking 20%, and then he literally decides to stand and not move on one side of the stage while i approach. the only time he 'approached' is to jump at me initially and then he did a retreating fair, and i was winning the last stock 100% to 15% and before i know it time runs out. i guess i got pissed and reckless on the tiebreaker stock, so i lost, but i won the whole thing eventually.

i really dont like saying **** during the match or even getting that pissed over the game, but its not fun when the other person doesn't even try playing the game.

oh and lol @ alejandro v ace, there was a point where ace's zelda didnt even look like he was playing the game, he just waited for the approach. im glad alejandro won eventually, because he actually approaches with snake instead of camping (although that ftilt does like 36% to me every time it hits).

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Hate to rain on your parade patsie but brawl is pretty much all camping. The closest you can do to approach is use a good aerial (you have gaw so you are lucky as hell to have bair) or roll or throw breakfast foods at him.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Hate to rain on your parade patsie but brawl is pretty much all camping. The closest you can do to approach is use a good aerial (you have gaw so you are lucky as hell to have bair) or roll or throw breakfast foods at him.
he added to the food repertoire for this one. fish and chicken legs? mr game and watch had the munchies badddd

people say he had sausages in melee. i say pish posh. they were flapjacks. not pancakes, not silver dollars, but good ol flapjacks :)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hey patsie snake is good at appraching (better then zelda at it) and zelda is good at defense plus even through i lost i did not play my best it happens (no johns), without me knowing it my zelda got into a transitional faze which when it is done i think i might be better then ever b4 (i am spaceing a lot more/better then ever b4 something i did not really due much b4 which is making it so i am using my u-smash less which in the end will make me less predicatble i think) plus most of the time when i approched he was winning out so i changed up my strategy and the games were close it went to 3 games and each one was only a one stock win. anyway just wait till next time alejandro and his nyc friends are all going down. :)

one more thing why are you rooting against me patsie? knowing you are nerviouse going into tournaments i was hooping you would do well.

Alejandro_P

Smash Ace
you do that and I will pick falco and laser spam the **** out of you. I'm tired of people playing mad homo in this game. I'm just gonna start doing the same thing.

Mr Kain

Smash Apprentice
By the looks of this game already, people are already complaining like no tomorrow. Just glad I dont play this game lol. Other than that if ur gonna take this game that seriously then theres no point in playing, because isn't THE WHOLE POINT OF A ****IN VIDEO GAME IS TO HAVE FUN not about *****ing whos better or whos doing something he shouldn't do. Also for the people at game table I remember saying that things should be BANNED. Just shut up, if you can't stand it, why don't you do it yourself then? It's part of the game get used to it. I still jsut stick with melee cause at least with the people I KNOW who play don't ***** because marth or fox can kill at like 16%.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
matt the problem is people are trying to have fun but then there are people who play super gay and suck the fun out of it I mean it's not like melee where if you get gayed you die mad quick, the match takes like an hour and it's just dumb **** like roll dsmash roll dsmash

Mr Kain

Smash Apprentice
Then I won't see a point why people are playing other then they just wanna be pro because they watch people play these games and they say OOO I WANNA BE JSUT LIKE THAT GUY so then comes brawl.. So I guess you got the people who like to have fun with the game, but then you got the people frowardly abusing the same moves. As is basically the *******s decided to crash the party when brawl came in, or am I wrong?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
"I still jsut stick with melee cause at least with the people I KNOW who play don't ***** because marth or fox can kill at like 16%."

Whether they complain or not, that's always been ******** and always will be ********.

"but then you got the people frowardly abusing the same moves."

Happens in Brawl, happened in Melee.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
you do that and I will pick falco and laser spam the **** out of you. I'm tired of people playing mad homo in this game. I'm just gonna start doing the same thing.
is this about me? i thought we had some good fights. When you fight snakes you have to think about what you are doing and at times play with caution due to his up tilt being able to kill at such low dmg. Also as a zelda i can deal with falcos lazer spam.

If this is not about me disregard this post

Ryan-K

Smash Master
"I still jsut stick with melee cause at least with the people I KNOW who play don't ***** because marth or fox can kill at like 16%."

Whether they complain or not, that's always been ******** and always will be ********.

"but then you got the people frowardly abusing the same moves."

Happens in Brawl, happened in Melee.
But in brawl it's way dumber because it's more imbalanced and a majority of the moves in the game are unusable because of the shielding system.

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
Name: Mike
Mains: Metaknight and Snake.

Where is this Game Table place? I'm looking for a semi-consistent Smash event to hit up often.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
Jin , Suffolk (Centerport), Melee: Marth, Fox, Falcon. / Brawl: DK, Toon Link. AIM : treestump88.

Hey guys, been trying to avoid brawl tourneys.. but thinking about giving in and going to a couple <_<.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
hey patsie snake is good at appraching (better then zelda at it) and zelda is good at defense plus even through i lost i did not play my best it happens (no johns), without me knowing it my zelda got into a transitional faze which when it is done i think i might be better then ever b4 (i am spaceing a lot more/better then ever b4 something i did not really due much b4 which is making it so i am using my u-smash less which in the end will make me less predicatble i think) plus most of the time when i approched he was winning out so i changed up my strategy and the games were close it went to 3 games and each one was only a one stock win. anyway just wait till next time alejandro and his nyc friends are all going down. :)

one more thing why are you rooting against me patsie? knowing you are nerviouse going into tournaments i was hooping you would do well.

brochill, ive got nothing against you

i was just saying i saw your game against alejandro and you weren't approaching at all, there were like 5 times when alejandro stopped moving and both of you were just standing still, it wasnt fun to watch. i really dont know zelda that much but ive played against people who use her and she definitely has approach options besides din's camping.

basically, i wasnt saying you were bad or anything (you got further than me the last two tourneys, so youre better than me at the very least), but the game i watched you play was a campfest that it seemed like you induced. i wouldnt have rooted against you if you approached more; i just think one of the reasons brawl hasnt been as entertaining as melee is because camping is so effective (but awful to play against/watch)

no hard feelings, want to play some friendlies if i catch you at the next tourney?

also is anyone going to this golden memories thing? i cant wait to pay another $40 for the gas money =/

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
What golden memories thing? And yeah, it's dumb how anybody can win in a brawl match just by camping -____-
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175546

It's been up for a while, but I guess no one saw it or responded to it (or maybe it sucked the last time it happened, but I wouldn't know).

I know this is probably my experience again, but I don't really lose to that many campers. I've been camped on GB a few times by high-ranked people. I yell, I get really pissed, I hate the game when I get camped, but for some reason I haven't had much of a problem.

It might just be that G&W has really safe (disjointed hitboxes on almost every move ftw) approaches that pressure shields without allowing for a grab, but I find that bair spamming has forced most campers into approaching (or, if they stick to camping, they lose).

I might just not be hitting tough campers. I've looked at some videos, and Overswarm seems to be one of the few competitive people that actually has success with camping. The other tournament winners don't really seem to camp much at all.

I dunno, I've always felt the effectiveness of camping is exaggerated.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
That's because you play GaW who is like the most anti camping character in the game.

That's because the EC doesn't record videos and the west coast gets ***** by a wario because they're dumb lol.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
brochill, ive got nothing against you

i was just saying i saw your game against alejandro and you weren't approaching at all, there were like 5 times when alejandro stopped moving and both of you were just standing still, it wasnt fun to watch. i really dont know zelda that much but ive played against people who use her and she definitely has approach options besides din's camping.

basically, i wasnt saying you were bad or anything (you got further than me the last two tourneys, so youre better than me at the very least), but the game i watched you play was a campfest that it seemed like you induced. i wouldnt have rooted against you if you approached more; i just think one of the reasons brawl hasnt been as entertaining as melee is because camping is so effective (but awful to play against/watch)

no hard feelings, want to play some friendlies if i catch you at the next tourney?

also is anyone going to this golden memories thing? i cant wait to pay another $40 for the gas money =/

yea i know you had nothing against me i was joking. and sure i will play you in friendlys next time if we get the chance.

Also it became a camp fest b/c with snakes power plus my own nervs i got to nervous to approch (that sometimes happens with me during close matches)

SLH

Smash Journeyman
you camped my marth and pikachu, so don't just blame it on snake bein gay

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ thats just a lie. first off i am pretty sure i just beat you marth with f-smash and up-smash for most of the match i did not hit many din's. 2nd you can't camp on a pikachu his projectile is faster so that just can't be true. 3rd din's is not that good it is easly dogded/blocked and if your marth who is suppose to be one of zelda's hardest match-ups can't deal with my zelda don't complain just try to get better against zelda's. And i am not blaming how i played or that i lost on snake being gay i was saying i was nervouse which sometimes makes me camp.

Also if you mean i just stood in one place when you had to approach with marth i would like to point out that marth is made to apporch and is great at it. Also i am pretty sure i hit you with some dash attacks which is one of zelda's few approchs. i guess what i am trying to say is that zelda is not made for approcahing but if you think what i was doing agaisnt you was me camping you have never really seen camping before. In melee against a guy who played cf while i played peach i camped and next to that i did not even come close to camping in are fights.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Lol not approaching and just rolling and c sticking constitutes as camping dude. You just stood on the other side of the stage doing nothing and when he got closed you rolled.

Also din's is an amazing projectile LMFAO. It's like the snake utilt of projectiles. Zelda can approach. Use nair, dash, nayru's or autocancel kicks or air dodge. It's easy as hell.

Also yes pikachu can be camped by zelda ffs you have a reflector and a projectile that has a hitbox that is literally 4-5 times pikachu's size.

I saw your match and it was like alejandros except he wasn't using snake. No johns son lol

SLH

Smash Journeyman
i'm not johning that i lost, you're right they were bad matchups for zelda

but

standing in the far corner of the map doing nothing, waiting for approach then spamming smashes = camping

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
who wants chowder

i want to play some brahs online from long island, although my 2 hours of free time per day during the week dont allow for much brawl. i want to get in some practice for tournaments though, so if anyone wants to practice with a dece GW, let me know

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Yeah i would like to set something up. I heard about the game table wanting to get something started. The upstairs has tvs that would lag for melee but it has a good downstairs space and some vending machines. The only problem is that it's not in walking distance of any stores or w/e.

Alternatively we could try to use hofstra wherever we played for smashfests I think that would be a good spot.

The problem is that I don't want what happened in NYC to happen here because that will make it hard as hell to secure venues or whatever.

R.P.

Smash Rookie
yaaaaawwwnn...... somebody just woke me up and told me it's finally time to go back to melee!

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I support this melee movement. I was going to say I wish I had a place I could hold a melee tourney, then I remembered my friend had mentioned the slight possibility of that. I'll get on that.

Hey Eli, long time no smash. How's it going?

Top Bottom