• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Dantebayo Saturday Feb 10, 2007

jmplaysitachi329

Smash Cadet
ANSWER TO THE CONFUSION
TO CLEAR UP THE CONFUSION

PROBLEM
ORIGINALLY WE SET UP THE DATE JAN 27, 2007 SATURDAY. WE WERE UNSURE ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE GOING TO SHOW UP BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF POSTS IN THE BEGINNING.

WE FINALLY GOT A HEADS UP THAT PEOPLE WERE COMING THIS WEEK, BUT WHEN WE TRIED TO RENT OUT THE PLACE THIS WEEK THE OWNERS GAVE US A NO BECAUSE WE DIDN'T SET IT UP IN A WEEK ADVANCE.

TWO SOLUTIONS
1) THIS TOURNAMENT WILL BE POSTPONED TILL FEB 10 SATURDAY. I HAVE ALREADY INFORMED AS MANY SMASHERS AS I COULD. FOR THE MOST PART PEOPLE AGREE AND WILL COME TO THIS ONE.

2) FOR PEOPLE THAT ALREADY TOOK THIS WEEKEND OFF FROM WORK OR SCHOOL RICE B PLANS TO HOLD A SUBSTITUTE TOURNAMENT ON JAN 27. PLEASE LOOK AT THE OTHER POST. THIS IS NOT DANTEBAYO AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RNJ OR ME. THIS IS JUST A SUBSTITUTE.

PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT HIGH ATTENDANCE FOR THE SUBSTITUE TOURNAMENT, AND DON'T EXPECT THE SAME TREATMENT YOU RECEIVED FROM THE LAST TOURNAMENT.

FEB 10 IS THE NEW DANTEBAYO TOURNAMENT!!!

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION, STUFF HAPPENS AND ALL WE CAN DO IS LEARN FROM IT. IF SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE CONFUSED, MAD, ANNOYED, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE AND I SINCERLY APOLOGIZE. PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE SOLUTIONS ABOVE. IF WE HAVE TURNED YOU OFF PLEASE GIVE US ANOTHER CHANCE ON FEB 10, TO GIVE YOU ONE OF THE BEST VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT IN SAN ANTONIO.

TOURNAMENT TALK
ENTRY FEE 10 DOLLARS
EACH TOURNAMENT ENTRY IS 10 DOLLARS SMASH DOUBLES IS 10 DOLLARS PER TEAM
GAMES THAT WILL BE PLAYED: SMASH SINGLES AND DOUBLES
GEARS OF WAR AND NARUTO GNT4

TENTATIVE TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
DOORS OPEN AT 10:00AM
10:00AM-12:45 CASUALS

SMASH SCHEDULE
1:00-3:00 POOLS
3:00-3:30 CASUALS
3:30-6:00 DOUBLES
6:00-6:30 CASUALS
6:30-9:00 SINGLES
9:00-9:30 CASUALS

MAIN EVENT CREW BATTLE WILL EITHER BE 3:00 OR 6:00 CRYSTAL CITY VS AUSTIN (XELIC AND FASTLIKETREE)

OTHER GAME SCHEDULE WILL BE SET UP BY RICE BURNER ( GEARS OF WAR AND NARUTO)

THING TO REMIND YOU IS THAT YOU CAN NOT PLAY BOTH GAMES DURING THE TOURNAMENT. MEANING YOU CAN'T PLAY GEARS OF WAR AND EXPECT TO PLAY SMASH OR NARUTO YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE DURING THOSE GIVEIN TIMES. THIS IS DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS AND CONFUSION THAT COULD HAPPEN. AND WE WANT TO AVOID AS MANY AS POSSIBLE.

MONEY MATCHES MUST BE PLAYED DURING CASUAL TIMES, SO PLEASE SET THEM UP IN ADVANCE WHEN YOU GET THERE.

WE ARE GOING TO BE STRICTER ABOUT CASUALS BECAUSE IT DID HURT US IN TIME IN THE LAST TOURNAMENT. BUT WE WILL GIVE 30 MINUTE BREAKS SO THIS SHOULD GIVE YOU GUYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO CASUALS.

WE WILL HAVE A NEW SYSTEM ABOUT CASUALS THAT WILL BE EXPLAINED AT THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT

EXPECT TO SIGN IN AND TO WERE MY NAME STICKERS

FOOD AND DRINKS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
YOU ARE ALSO ALLOWED TO BRING YOUR OWN FOOD

NEW THINGS:
WE WILL HAVE A SIGN UP SHEET FOR PEOPLE THAT BRING IN ANY TYPE OF EQUIPMENT. WE WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR EQUIPMENT IS AT ALL TIMES, SO YOU WILL FEEL SECURE ABOUT YOUR EQUIPEMENT AND INSURED THAT YOU WILL GET IT BACK.

Sorry again guys for the confusion, I hope two weeks will give you enough time to prepare. Please understand I am trying my best to set-up a schedule that gives you enough time to prepare ahead for school or work. If this schedule does not work because it conflicts with one of these priorties I am deeply sorry.

But other then that for sure Feb 10 is the date. It will be 1000000XXX better then the last one I guarntee itttt!!!!

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
So you can't play Naruto and Smash? That is very lame. And I know Caveman would want to play Gears of War and Smash. Also, why are we having it at this place that costs $10?

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
i agree with JF
the part where we can only do one tourny kinda bugs me
but we will just see

now i have a couple of questions JM [since i havnt been informed of this at all]
1. as far as sub tourny where will that be held and when
2. what times will naruto and GoW be going?
3. will there be a 3rd strike tourny on feb 10
if so then i can inform SRK and they can somewhat come down for feb 10th

thats all i can think of for right now

jmplaysitachi329

Smash Cadet
Grey as far as the other tournament schedules are concerned Rice is in charge of the other games. They will be hosted by him. He will have the schedule.

The reason I do not like two tournaments running at the same time is mainly because of conflict of time.

It is very hard to run these tournaments at the same time because of conflict of draws. Mainly if a player has to wait for an opponent b/c he is still participating in the other game. This can be very time consuming and stressful to some players. If I could afford two days then I would prefer only to concentrate on one game. I know it is unfair or lame or however you call it, but my job is to run an organized tournament. Me running back and forward and saying please wait or he is not yet done playing smash does not help me run a successful tournament. I hope this explains this to you guys. There are other problems to this but I wish to explain this to you guys in person.

It can be done, but with only one day and roughly 10 hours would be very hard. And smash takes all day and night.

Time is a factor and my participants pay good money that they have earned to compete in a tournament. I am pretty sure MLG or any other major tournies make sure to seperate game days with major games. Will from willvolution makes sure not to throw Naruto and Smash on the same weekend. They have the finance to do that, unfortunally Rice and me do not.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
MLG hosts Smash and Halo 2 at the same time for two days. It's not unreasonable to have people participating in multiple games even if a wait is called. it doesn't add as much time as you seem to think it does, and I certainly don't see how it would be stressful in any way to the players.

i for one really want to play naruto and Smash. I'm sure Chang and Zev do too. I know that cave will want to play Smash and GoW. just giving you a heads up.

theFiend123

Smash Cadet
Why would you say this?

THIS IS NOT DANTEBAYO AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RNJ OR ME. THIS IS JUST A SUBSTITUTE.

PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT HIGH ATTENDANCE FOR THE SUBSTITUE TOURNAMENT, AND DON'T EXPECT THE SAME TREATMENT YOU RECEIVED FROM THE LAST TOURNAMENT.
It's as though you're trying to destroy the other "substitute" tournament's reputation just so people won't attend that one and more will attend your tournament.

Because after all, more people attending your tournament = you get paid more. I guess from that standpoint, it makes sense to assault their reputation.

The "substitute" tournament is no different from yours. Smashers don't care about venue. Lots of smashers planned on attending your original tournament on the 27th, and now this "substitute" pops up with a lower entry fee and you're telling people not to expect a high turnout?

That makes 0 sense whatsoever. If anything, the turnout is going to be higher for the "substitute" because people pay less to get in.

I will try to make this tournament but chances are unlikely. I haven't been able to go to one since the austin one a while back.

RiceBurner

Smash Cadet
Actually...it makes perfect sense. Since the other games will most likely not be there Saturday, this gives more time to advertise for other games besides Smash. Therefore, I'm expecting a bigger turnout in Feb.

Also, you have to remember that some of the pot is being cut. Which means the winners won't get nearly as much. Just cause we said bigger turnout, doesn't necessarily mean that we expect the Smash tourny to be bigger. I'm expecting the tourny, in general, to be bigger.

RiceBurner

Smash Cadet
What does that mean?

Also, Why is JF not allowed to come??

This means that on the tourny Saturday, the person who owns the place takes some of the pot as a sort of "Entry Fee". Nothing big, prolly for the electricity or something.

As far as JF goes, big misunderstanding. Things are going to be settled, don't worry. I promise, or else I don't burn rice!

Fyre

Smash Apprentice
isnt the entry fee supposed to pay for everything? the pot should remain untouched. it's what the players put their hard work into, so they should be rewarded with it all

jmplaysitachi329

Smash Cadet
Questions to be answered?

Answers to Forkgirl (First of where have you been? I have called you many times to try to update you but you must have been busy)

Why am I not hosting this tournament at this new place gamelot?
First of all, timing was bad, I was informed on Wednesday night about how we were screwed over from being able to rent out the place January 27, 2006. Plans of switching over to a new game center were never ever discussed with me, it was a panic decsion from RNJ.

Second it was suggestted that we move over to Gamelot or whatever its called on that very same night. People on this forums expect me to reorganize my plans to this center, take the time off from my work and school to figure out how this place works with the owner. My place is Guilbeau family center I don't plan to change that anytime soon. My answer to not hosting on Gamelot was just a No. My answer to the whole situation was that we will just move the tournament back 2 weeks. I believe I have the right to say NO.

My answer was clear and to the point, we will just postpone it two weeks later on Feb 10, 2007.

Third all I can say about the whole situation is that I am sorry. The sitaution about the rent, is a learning experience that Rice and me have to take in and learn from.

Fourth whoever decides to take over at gamelot, I already said what I feel about it. It doesn't matter to me where the participants go.

Why were you trying to bash people trying to set-up at gamelot?
I was not doing this. But people call Rice and me and expect us to know the answer to this question all the time "How many people are going to this tournament"? We don't know because this is not our tournament. That's all I said about the situation. About who is going or who is responsible for hosting has nothing to do with Rice and me. If all you guys decide to go to the one on the 27th by all means go if you have the time. It doesn't bother me.

What is the sitaution about gamelot?
As far as I know there will be a tournament on the 27th that has no association with myself or RNJ. Rice did plan on trying to help out, but with the murder of his friend was just too much for him.

You do realize that Feb 10 is two weeks from now and I most likely will not be able to make it?
Yes I do, and this is a sacrifice I have to make because our scheduled got messed up. Again I am sorry about the whole situation. If you have the time please come and compete, socialize, and have fun.

Why is there a 10 dollar entry fee to your tournament?
I have told this to the last particpant in my tournament on that very same day that this was going to happen. This should not be a surprise to you guys. Rent went up this year so we are going to have to charge more this year. We spend money for the food, the outlets, THE RENT and more. None of us in this group have spare money to lose.

Why are you so stubborn?
People get this idea that this tournament is about me. That I want to steal your money. People who think like this obviously don't know me in person, and are just too quick to judge by the way I post on the forums. Come to the tournament and introduce yourself to me or I will do it to you. Wheter you like me or not is your choice to judge. All I can guarntee you is that at the tournament I will do my best to provide you with the best services on hosting a tournament.

Why are you being so hard on JF?
First of all JF is a nice guy, but can act like a child when things are not going his way. I am not going to explain this situaiton here on this forum because it has nothing to do with the tournament and is a personal matter between JF and me.

If you have any question I have posted my number many times and email please check it if you have a question. 713-205-1287 and studentjm329@yahoo.com

I am ready to move on, and probally most of the smashers are here too. If you want to put your 5 cent into the whole situation and complain how I do things you are free to do so. I have already answered the questions that I thought were important. I hope most smashers here understand that the tournament discussion is about what we can do to make the tournament better, but there will be people that want to complain or judge the whole situation on this forum. I am already done, I will not post anything unless it is productive and is towards the tournament Feb 10.

Other then that I am ready to move on to Febuary 10. I promise you guys this will be a great tournament. You will get your moneys worth. RNJ and myself have great plans and we hope you have the time on Feb 10 to share it with us.

Also an important announcement. In order to show that we're throwing this tourny for you guys, me and rice are going to throw any extra money we get from entry fees into the pot. We will give you guys the extra money and you can decide wghat to do with it. Hopefully this will show that our main goal is to throw a succesful tournament that is definitely worth coming back to.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
Also, you have to remember that some of the pot is being cut. Which means the winners won't get nearly as much. Just cause we said bigger turnout, doesn't necessarily mean that we expect the Smash tourny to be bigger. I'm expecting the tourny, in general, to be bigger.

i believe Riceburner is talking about this Saturday's tournament, on the 27th where there is no entry fee, but money gets cut out of the pot.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
JM, our conversation had nothing to do with "getting my way." I wasn't even speaking just for myself, I was speaking for many people. I'm not going to discuss it any further tho. I had a good talk with Rice Burner last night and I believe in him, that he will be able to get things cleared up and that you and he will be able to run a great tournament on the 10th. :bigthumbu

RiceBurner

Smash Cadet
Is there any way we can switch the Doubles and Singles?
SMASH SCHEDULE
1:00-3:00 POOLS
3:00-3:30 CASUALS
3:30-6:00 DOUBLES
6:00-6:30 CASUALS
6:30-9:00 SINGLES
9:00-9:30 CASUALS

Sorry, Apocalypse. Joe and I made this schedule together with several things in mind.

1) Doubles does take a long time. If you recall the last tourny, the doubles tournament was running late. If Wes and Xelic hadn't won that set, it would've had to go into a whole new match. If that was to go on, we would've had to relocate and stuff. It wouldn't have been a good situation. Due to that, Doubles need to be sooner.

2) We also set the schedule this way for people who want to play both Doubles and Singles. For the people who don't advance out of pools, we don't want a lot of people waiting idly. Remember, half the people aren't going to advance out of pools. So if any of them are going to be in doubles, I don't want them waiting around for hours before they get to play again.

Hope this doesn't put a dent in your schedule, but it's a new schedule that we're going to try. If this schedule doesn't work out, we'll revert back to the old one. Thanks for understanding!

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
i believe Riceburner is talking about this Saturday's tournament, on the 27th where there is no entry fee, but money gets cut out of the pot.
thats exactly what he means
even though you dont have to pay entry fee you dont get the full amount of the pot

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
JM,

Thank you for posting your comments about our smash bros. tournament:

“Please Do Not Expect High Attendance For The Substitue Tournament, And Don't Expect The Same Treatment You Received From The Last Tournament.”

“Substitute Tournament”

“For a long time I’ve been trying to establish a consistent tournament in San Antonio. Starting January 20, there will be a tournament every 3rd Saturday of the month at Gamelot.”

It has never been our intention to replace the Dantebayo Tournaments. In creating our Smashalot tournaments we hope to bring better and greater events to the video gaming community.

“Treatment You Received”

In Assuming you are referring to the way you (JM) treated your players in previous tournaments. We will never ask our players to bring a bottle of Evian Water as the entry fee.

“PROBLEM
ORIGINALLY WE SET UP THE DATE JAN 27, 2007 SATURDAY. WE WERE UNSURE ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE GOING TO SHOW UP BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF POSTS IN THE BEGINNING.”

Our Smashalot tournaments are on a guaranteed schedule. We are happy to invite everyone to participate in our tournament on the third Saturday of every month.

WE FINALLY GOT A HEADS UP THAT PEOPLE WERE COMING THIS WEEK, BUT WHEN WE TRIED TO RENT OUT THE PLACE THIS WEEK THE OWNERS GAVE US A NO BECAUSE WE DIDN'T SET IT UP IN A WEEK ADVANCE.

There was sufficient posts on the Smashboards Forum prior to the above post to have arranged the rent for the Family Center. It was your failure as a tournament organizer and not the responsibility of the posters to confirm the location.

To all of our friends that have participated at Smashalot 1 and Smashalot v1.5 thank you very much and we hope to see you again on February 17th.

RiceBurner

Smash Cadet
JM,

Thank you for posting your comments about our smash bros. tournament:

“Please Do Not Expect High Attendance For The Substitue Tournament, And Don't Expect The Same Treatment You Received From The Last Tournament.”

“Substitute Tournament”

“For a long time I’ve been trying to establish a consistent tournament in San Antonio. Starting January 20, there will be a tournament every 3rd Saturday of the month at Gamelot.”

It has never been our intention to replace the Dantebayo Tournaments. In creating our Smashalot tournaments we hope to bring better and greater events to the video gaming community.

“Treatment You Received”

In Assuming you are referring to the way you (JM) treated your players in previous tournaments. We will never ask our players to bring a bottle of Evian Water as the entry fee.

“PROBLEM
ORIGINALLY WE SET UP THE DATE JAN 27, 2007 SATURDAY. WE WERE UNSURE ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE GOING TO SHOW UP BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF POSTS IN THE BEGINNING.”

Our Smashalot tournaments are on a guaranteed schedule. We are happy to invite everyone to participate in our tournament on the third Saturday of every month.

There was sufficient posts on the Smashboards Forum prior to the above post to have arranged the rent for the Family Center. It was your failure as a tournament organizer and not the responsibility of the posters to confirm the location.

To all of our friends that have participated at Smashalot 1 and Smashalot v1.5 thank you very much and we hope to see you again on February 17th.
Err, Felix...I think you kinda misunderstood JM. Please allow me to clarify.

JM didn't try to refer your Smashalot tournies as a substitute for our tournies. I think he was trying to say that only this Saturday's tourny would be a sub since, well it was a sub. It was a different location for the originally planned tournament on January 27th, 2007. We know you're not trying to replace us, never crossed our mind.

As far as treatment, he had explained this to JF. Treatment was a bad choice of words. Organization and schedule would have been more accurate. Now, no offense, but as you said yourself, yesterday's tourny was a bit unorganized. I'm not blaming you, because it's not your fault. It's our fault, and mostly mine, because I dumped today totally on you. I counted on you to take everything at the last minute, and I deeply apologize. I also want to say thank you for putting up with it and still throwing a tourny.

As far as the whole "not renting early enough", that was our fault. I had posted an apology on it in earlier posts and still apologize now. I take total blame for what happened and have learned from this grave mistake. As I said, I hope everyone doesn't let what happened turn off their thoughts about our future tournaments.

Again, thank you Felix for covering for me today. It really helped me out and I appreciate it. Hopefully, I can make it to your next tournament on Feb. 17th, I'm already excited!

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
What does pool mean excatly? And I'll show up more than likely if Zaft is goin, cause I won't have a ride there otherwise, but someone explain to me excatly what pooling is.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
So you guys plan on being able to do pools for both singles and doubles in just two hours? LoL?

And if someone wants to play in all the tournaments for Smash, it's $25 total ($10 entry fee + $10 singles + 5 doubles)?

artarian

Smash Journeyman
well, since playing in both Naruto and Smash Doubles is allowed now, which is great btw, i am looking for a partner in Smash. Last time I played with, ummm, ****, i dont remember, sorry, he was a sheik player, and we did pretty good for never playing together. anyway, im not amazing, i play marth, and yeah. if u wanna know about me, i suppose u can just ask away, and if u dont wanna ask me, ask other austin people, like JF or cHaNg-sTa or Rayzorium. yea.....i really wanna play smash doubles, but i dont have a partner, so yeah.

on a side note, for JM: is the big naruto community coming to play at the tourny? or is just gonna be austin people and RnJ? i hope it gets above 16 people, that would be pretty fun.

also, any recording gonna happen?

jmplaysitachi329

Smash Cadet
Bad News Everybody This Tournament Will Be Canceled

Why?
The Owners Of The Place Said We Can't Use The Place To Hold Video Game Tournaments That Involve Anything To Do With Money.

They Threatened Rice That If We Held The Tournament That They Would Arrest Him For Gambling Charges.

Rice Will Explain Later Today

There Is A Possiblity Felix Will Take Over This Tournament.

We Are Sorry For The Bad Luck We Have Run Into.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I wonder how many people are thinking, "I told you so," right about now?

Not trying to be mean or anything, but I know a lot of people weren't planning to go to this anyway.

Felix15c

Smash Journeyman
Umm.... yeah... lets not get me insanely stressed out again... this is even shorter notice then before... just wait until my regular tournament on the 17th.

But if you guys just want to have a smashfest Gamelot just bought 8 tvs. 4 of them will be up by saturday and you guys can just show up and plug in and play.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
Doesn't it cost money to hang out there?

Also, robbys house is closer...lol

Btw, gambling? It isn't gambling...tournaments are held all the time. MLG does it, and its only gambling if house takes profit.

Top Bottom