• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Never Ending List of Toon's AT's and Tricks / The Data Dump / Song of Brainstorms

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@NeoCrono: Tones of stuff has happened in the last 5 months. Unfortunatelly, I don't keep a record of what gets added when, so you'll simply have to have a browse.

@Hyro: I'm actually impressed that you saw that mid match and was able to save the replay and then take that shot. Was it that obvious that something wierd had happened? But still, that's quite a find all the same. What I mean is, this is undeniable evidence that momentum stuffs with our hookshot, which could be useful info one day. So I'll keep it in mind.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
Don't you think that some things just don't need to be said? You know. You can figure this stuff out for yourself kinda stuff. Powershielding your own bombs is not new and is not the kind of thing that belongs in this thread. That's like, Brawl 1.01.
I'm not about to argue this point, so just take my word for it.

Edit: Added that vid. I told you I'd get around to it.
I dont found the video, could you make an Update Section, so we can see, what was updated the last time? Its better for the overview. So could you give me here an direct link?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's sort of a bit late to be starting an update section with details as to what has been updated when. That and they're just a hassle. It's just the vid that said, radori has tech skill or something like that. It was posted only a page or so earlier.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Situational, but a short bomb toss up, dash into pivot grab (momentum chain?) without you getting hit (while hitting opponent) into a combo?
Just a thought out there b/c I don't have a wii.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
My wii is still broke until I finish WW and then I can send it off to get fixed. I just gotta get those ****ing triforce shards XD.
Why?

So I can't test things in the mean time, so I was bored, so I started the guide.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't follow. In fact, while I'm at it, it would help a lot if people would leave messages with a bit more info. It's not just you Lobos, don't worry.

(For all those who care about my poor wii, it has been sent away to be repaired. If the people at nintendo are telling the truth, I should get it back within ten working days. They didn't say anything about what condition I would get it back in XD, but I'll get it back all the same.)

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Any tests on the the new P-DACUS and how it effects Toon Link?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
What vids? What AT's? Do you just mean that some AT's haven't been shown on a vid yet, and you want to see them? Well that would be nice wouldn't it. Just keep in mind that you can always show yourself by following my descriptions.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
What vids? What AT's? Do you just mean that some AT's haven't been shown on a vid yet, and you want to see them? Well that would be nice wouldn't it. Just keep in mind that you can always show yourself by following my descriptions.
i sense sarcasm......................lol

yea AT vids showing off ATs lol i know em all im just saying that would be nice

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I rarely use sarcasm, I also rarely pick up on it.
It would be nice, seriously. But who's gonna do it? Some of the things also don't really need a vid because it's not worth it unless you were doing a whole bunch of other stuff as well. You never know though, it might get done some day.

Thebest1pj

I rarely use sarcasm, I also rarely pick up on it.
It would be nice, seriously. But who's gonna do it? Some of the things also don't really need a vid because it's not worth it unless you were doing a whole bunch of other stuff as well. You never know though, it might get done some day.
assign everyone to some ATS have them record them and upload?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
So... I was playing around last night and I thought of something, not really an AT so much as a cool mix up alternative to Usmash (if this has been talked about go ahead and tell me please, other wise ima name it! lol)

If tink is around 83%, a bomb explosion will pop him off the ground long enough for him to Uair. So you can JC throw a bomb down when you are by someone, it will pop both of you in the air a small bit and you get a free Uair (not positive if its free, probably DI dependent) this is risky because they could shield the bomb, but because you blew yourself up, chances are they are going to drop shield and capitalize on your "mistake" thus getting hit by the Uair. You can also do this when someone is landing to bait an airdidge because they think a bomb will be JC thrown up. You dont eve have to use it as a JC, you can pull a bomb and wait for them to approach by running in, worst comes to worst, they stop approaching and yo throw the bomb.

again, its not huge but its something kinda cool that you may be able to use once every other game.

I tested this in training and later in friendlies. It worked alot of the times i tried it, followed by a "WTF, kamazazee ninja!" by my friends, lol.

Thebest1pj

So... I was playing around last night and I thought of something, not really an AT so much as a cool mix up alternative to Usmash (if this has been talked about go ahead and tell me please, other wise ima name it! lol)

If tink is around 83%, a bomb explosion will pop him off the ground long enough for him to Uair. So you can JC throw a bomb down when you are by someone, it will pop both of you in the air a small bit and you get a free Uair (not positive if its free, probably DI dependent) this is risky because they could shield the bomb, but because you blew yourself up, chances are they are going to drop shield and capitalize on your "mistake" thus getting hit by the Uair. You can also do this when someone is landing to bait an airdidge because they think a bomb will be JC thrown up. You dont eve have to use it as a JC, you can pull a bomb and wait for them to approach by running in, worst comes to worst, they stop approaching and yo throw the bomb.

again, its not huge but its something kinda cool that you may be able to use once every other game.

I tested this in training and later in friendlies. It worked alot of the times i tried it, followed by a "WTF, kamazazee ninja!" by my friends, lol.
i do this to like if im at 110+ and my opp is to ill throw a bomb down blow myself over there head and fair them

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
So as far as PDACUS, it seems really helpful for other characters but it doesn't seem to give us any real boost. As far as I can tell, we get just about as much distance as a hyphen smash. There may be some type of frame advantage, but it's not really noticeable on our zair (maybe nair? iunno if it's.

I got really excited for zair->PDACUS but I've been doing it for a while now and it doesn't seem like it's doing any more for us.

Retreating zair to PDACUS is cool, but it's not a position you'll be in often, and the usmash won't hit if the zair does, and generally you want have enough time if they shield.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I dont know if hyro ever mentioned it here but I did the double jump bomb drop on the ground thingy. I got it recorded just waiting for smoom to upload it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I somehow, Dair>Bair whilst holding a bomb. (dair didn't spike, missed the 2nd hit)

Is there an explanation to how I did this?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Jerm: I'm confused. I'd like to see the vid all the same, but maybe you could try to explain it a bit further. Cheers mate.

@Mota: Ah the rule of chaining. Read through 'chaining' in the Bomb section for further info, but pretty much, U-air, Bair and Dair are special in that if you do them while holding a Bomb, you can chain another aerial together without throwing the bomb if you do it straight after. There's much more to it, so, read on.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I dont know if hyro ever mentioned it here but I did the double jump bomb drop on the ground thingy. I got it recorded just waiting for smoom to upload it.
@Jerm: I'm confused. I'd like to see the vid all the same, but maybe you could try to explain it a bit further. Cheers mate.

@Mota: Ah the rule of chaining. Read through 'chaining' in the Bomb section for further info, but pretty much, U-air, Bair and Dair are special in that if you do them while holding a Bomb, you can chain another aerial together without throwing the bomb if you do it straight after. There's much more to it, so, read on.
THANKS FOR IGNORING ME lol

quote from other thread

Yeah before going to Texas I accidentally did "short hop bomb pull, double jump drop bomb on the ground". It was nasty but I forgot about it. At hobo while we were doing ffas, I did it again and we got it on replay.
P4 said he's gonna put it up

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
What other thread? I only bother reading like 4 threads.

Thanks though, I get it now. That actually sounds pretty sick. I'll add it to my list of things to test and probably add.

Edit: Anyone else notice how I seem to get all the sweet numbered posts? 1111

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I thought that was to some extent explained. Didn't they say like it had something to do with the Up-B and Dair canceling each others momentum or something? In any case, I remember this well and I think it should definitely go along side the other mysteries because it has never been re-created and let's face it, it's just plain wierd. You gotta love this sorta thing.

Ok looking at the vid now, I think I can explain it 0_o
Firts hit was a spike, it was meteor canceled(?) instantly and so the wolf went into another hit, then the Toon fast falled the pogo so he didn't bounce off the wolf and then simply fell and hit him again. It's all possible. The hardest part would be the meteor cancel done instantly, but other then that, I'd say that it should be re-create able.

No wait, there's more to it then that. The wolf was spiked, then hit with a pogo like atack, then spiked again in no time and for some reason Toon didn't pogo on the spike. Weirdest thing is, Toon turned around somwhere in the middle. Ok so he turned around because he got hit, that would be the 1%, from the meteor canceled Up-B?

Hmm.

Final go.

Ok, Toon spikes, Wolf instantly meteor cancels (if it wasn't a meteor cancel, then I have no idea why he didn't get spiked the first time), so Toon recieves 1% from Wolf's Up-B which turns him around and knocks him out of the Dair. Then Toon instantly does another Dair because I can't imagine a 1% attack giving much hitstun, but it gives him just enough momentum to make Toon slowly fall the Dair which we all know still spikes and doesn't pogo on the spike. This hits Wolf and sends him to the ground but Toon continues to slowly fall (as expected). Wolf fails to tech (tut tut) and is hit by Dair again.

Yeah. I think that's everything wierd accounted for. The only thing I'm not too sure on is why Wolf didn't get spiked the first time. If it's possible to meteor cancel that early, then yes, this whole thing is possible, has been explained and should be able to be re-created.

I'll try to re-create it with my mate on Friday and if I can't get it to work, I'll add it as a mystery. But I think I've explained it now at least.

Edit: Oh another thing. I'm now convinced that the second spike was a momentum Dair because he didn't bob up at the start. Yep.
I'll go now.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
heya. Okay so I just started using Toon Link. My friends and some people on here said Toon Link would be perfect for my fighting style. I want to learn everything about like how to get really good with him. I think I am doing okay but I do not know how to do like super awesome combos. This is like the thread for learning how to do better with Toon Link right? Oh and if anyone could sometime meet me on wifi and help me train with him I would like that alot.

Oh and one note I do need to ask. In this tournament, I went against a guy named Lobos. He used this technique that like shocked me. Toon Link was at the corner of the screen on Battlefield and I thought he was dead. But he somehow like hit himself with a bomb and got enough air to do his Bair and back onto the stage to kill me. I would love to learn that technique. But I can't find it on the first page. Is it specifically used by Lobos or am I just blind to the first page xD

Yes Im a Toon Link noob but I really want to learn with him alot because his fighting style is alot of fun and just awesome.

MJG

Smash Hero
^Are you referring to lobos' situation as: Lobos was in the helpless falling animation and his bomb blew him up? Its not really an AT. TL mains know how to hold on to their bombs incase their opponent successfully edge-guards them and so that they can use their Up B again.

And TL takes A LOT of practice. Im not BSing you (and im sure a lot of the TL mains would back me up on that statement)

As you are learning him, make sure to keep your spacing, don't become predictable with your projectile spam, your recovery, or your methods to get back on stage.

DON'T TRY TO SPIKE WITH TL (Lol). Just thought I'd mention that incase you were thinking of doing that.

Other than that, just play with him. It will take some time to get good with him ;o

VietGeek

Smash Hero
1. Wolf UpB = no hitstun (less hitstun than brawl itself anyway...lol)
2. ridiculous hitlag
3. 10 frame buffer window
4. ???
5. miracles of brawl

also at death percents you can essentially di your bomb whatever direction you want and it'll blow u up in that direction (also a good reason to not try to gimp with bombs at high %'s lol) add in hitstun/momentum canceling and there you have it

as said, it's not an at, just a bunch of exploits piled onto each other (although smash bros. does have a tendency to call anything not in the enclosed instruction booklet an AT lol)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Thank you so much :D I am definetely going to work hard with Toon Link alot. Also I have learned spiking with TL is a definete bad idea. (has lost sooo many countless lives).

So with Toon Link I should try and keep my distance? I have noticed that if I stay away and alternate with like the projectiles it gets on my opponents nerves and works alot, but if I go in for like combat attacks I most of the time get knocked back. I am loving using Toon Link though :D

MJG

Smash Hero
Camping may seem like the best option but TL's projectiles force reactions so that you can punish your opponent.

Ex: Throw a bomb at your opponent. They Shield. They will sometimes jump OoS or roll away of towards.

Something like that...some characters have to be camped (Like Ice Climbers)

CGs=No fun

Top Bottom