• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nature Of Competition(pro brawl)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Let me start by saying, melee > brawl competitively. It's not even close. It's like Asafa Powell racing Steven Hawking... There is no point to the "Brawl is more competitive" argument, because ultimately having to use "better mindgames and more thought" just means camp more and shield drop like you're on speed.

However, we are comparing two games that have grown 7 years apart and believe that Brawl is peaking it's metagame or something, which is NOT true

MELEE AT's WEREN'T FOUND ON PURPOSE
Here's how certain melee techniques got discovered

Wavedash: Early melee tourney, luigi player airdodges towards item to grab
SuperWaveDash: random samus mistake much later
JC Grab: A few years after release someone with a sharp eye caught himself doing this on accident
JC Usmash: Phanna discovered this a few MONTHS ago

Granted, Brawl has thousands more players searching out more techniques, but they are searching for way to break MELEE's engine. They are trying to break lag, move faster, create invincible approaches and find endgame ZTD combos. This will not break Brawl, which had a physics engine created to PREVENT these sorts of things. The first month into Brawl's release and we already have:

Increased the ranged on characters fsmash's(most notable Sonic's)
Discovered you can do a turnaround grab
Found ways to abuse shields
And done a lot of **** with Squirtles dash turn around shell slide thingey...

Granted these techniques blow pretty hard, but just wait until we can string them together. I've blown my friends to hell by cluster f***ing them with banana/dash attack approaches into turnaround grabs. However, that does not stop my opponent from escaping.

BRAWL COMBOS ARE TWO-SIDED
In melee, miss an fmash and despite your best efforts you were probably dead
NOT TRUE 4 BRAWL
Now, get thrown by MK and what can they do? Uair->uair
->uair->fair/upB
What can YOU do? DI
->DI->DI->punish. Hard, yes, but quite doable. I don't want my stock to go away because i got grabbed ONCE, and now i can fight to hold on to it. My friend kept ****** me with uair until i was able to DI just right with wolf and bair the final attack, effectively saving my life. Not a great example but it gets the point across. Combos are not solid attacks anymore.

TRIPPING IS GAY
and unavoidable. It is, by nature, anti-competitive.

I gtg to bed, i will look over everything, add stuff and make it flow better 2morrow
Night all

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
You, sir, are a complete baffoon. What you are suggesting is something where three characters practically dominated on anyone who tried to be unique, and where a character had a method to essentially invicibly push anyone off a stage and them spike them down if their reflexes allowed it. Brawl's "A.T.'s" are no-where NEAR that state! For you to say Melee is better for competitive sounds like something only someone who got a little too angry over a nerf more than a well-composed message.

I will concur with one thing, tripping is anti-competitive, but so are, to a certain degree, critical hits in pokemon, a highly-competitive game, which is still played. A small margin of error and randomness is what makes us human. Tripping will make, and break, or possibly not even effect people in a detrimental way. I could never recall being frustrated with it, but then again it's been so subtle I can't even recall seeing it in my experience (or more correctly noticing i.). But here, people just pick it out in the most elitist manner ever. If this game is so rancid, you can just leave the Brawl topics now instead of trying to persuade some lesser minded people to put away this glorious, long-awaited sequel to possibly one of the greatest party games ever, which played to both, mind you the average joe AND the hardcore.

Brawl's much upgraded survivability is an improvement. The whole floatiness every one seems to curse and the ability to survive much greater odds just means a match can continue for a decent amount of time, which is usually, in my experience, much more fun and intense. Set a time limit if that bothers you, for me, and several others, the ability to survive what would once destroy a player with minimal ease, is a good thing.

Ness' back throw can't kill horizontally as easily. He was my favorite melee character. I'm not going to whine about it, I think it makes it more challenging.

Just stop being a baby. Simple as that.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
i agree with evestrain92. brawl is just as competitive. only differnece is that its a bit easier to lose to a scrub, which is annoying. i guess OP never got hit by a misfire or with a 9 by G&W or with a bomb/stitchface by peach. in a tournament match.

theres a reason we play 3 stock, thats because its harder to die and combos dont last long.

wwepatriot: you are the biggest troll i've seen in a while on smashboards. please stop.

wwepatriot

Smash Cadet
No

anything that speaks the truth is considered a troll by your *******s because SWF dont like the truth to be told.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
i agree with evestrain92. brawl is just as competitive. only differnece is that its a bit easier to lose to a scrub, which is annoying.
I never see the problem with this. Adds more competition to the mix and helps seperate people who are actually good and can consitently kick ***, from those who think they're good and can only do it sometimes. Of course everybody will have their days when they get whooped by anyone, much to their displeasure.

Good post, I guess but...I'm not quite sure what you're arguing for lol. What exactly is your point?
Sounded to me like:
1. Melee has had years for a competitive scene to build up, Brawl hasn't even been given 2 months and people are already dismissing it.
2. The things that Melee extremists are using to devalue Brawl, such as a lack of wavedashing, weren't discovered and used fully in Melee for a while. ATs take time to be found, impatient people should wait a bit more instead of expecting it to be found immediately after a game has been released.
3. The majority of people who are trying to find advance techniques are still trying to find techniques that would fit into the Melee engine, not the Brawl one.

And my nose has started bleeding again, so my post ends here.

Top Bottom