• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the music thread

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Are you familiar with the minimalist movement in classical music? If you like a lot of repetition, it's worth checking out. A few composers worth mentioning are Steve Reich, John Adams, Philip Glass, and Terry Riley.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I think I've posted some John Adams in this thread before. I like his stuff, though it must be really boring to play most of it if you're a classically trained musician.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I like what I've heard from John Adams. KUSC plays operas on Saturday mornings and I heard the first act of Doctor Atomic while on my way to a tournament last year.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i'm about whatever mayne
*** what dey be taumbout
they opinion doesnt count, we da only thing that matters, awwwwww
so we do it how we do it
all up in ya face man i hate to put u threw it
i be up all night, all crew's in here
cuz i dun really know who imma lose this year
awwwww
man i love my team, man i love my team, i would die for dem *****s, awwww

ismokeherbz

Smash Journeyman

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I don't know what your standards are for a song having "middle school girl lyrics" but if The Doors fall in that category then so does 99% of rock music. Yeah the lyrics are pretentious sometimes but your complaint doesn't necessarily follow from that.

SuperRad

Smash Master
For the record, I understand that in 1965 they were probably mind blowing and sht but I've always found them to be lacking the spark I usually like in bands. To go to The Who, I always thought that they had really strong charisma that came across in the music. The Doors always sound kinda lethargic to me. Manzarek and Krieger have good talent and wrote good riffs/keyboard lines but I've never felt that as a band they had more than a couple tracks I really cared to listen to.

Jun.

Smash Lord
been kinda in a music slump lately.

Can anyone recommend something really different? Doesn't necessarily have to be GOOD just a different sound or a cross between genres or such. The last band that really caught my attention with these properties was Ratatat.

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
been kinda in a music slump lately.

Can anyone recommend something really different? Doesn't necessarily have to be GOOD just a different sound or a cross between genres or such. The last band that really caught my attention with these properties was Ratatat.

i can point out some stuff i feel is pretty different from the usual music, but i wont try to tell you all of it is good.

#12 - The Garden's All Nighters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRZFzFbVd0
(beware of the long dissonant hardcore passages)

The Dear Hunter - The Lake and the River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErrXdGuvS0

Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground - Hey Momma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZKy3HpX60k

i got other stuff, but i dont want to make this post any longer than it already is :/

Top Bottom