• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Motion-Sensor Bomb: In or out?

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well, I'm not sure whether or not this was brought up before, but technically the motion-sensor bomb is from Perfect Dark... which is one of Rare's franchises which was, of course, part of Nintendo at the time of Super Smash Bros. and Melee. So with that in mind, would they be allowed to use the MSB again? Or do you think that's why they made the gooey bomb in place of it?

BTW, I apologize if it was made before.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i thought that too. the motion sensor bomb was based off of goldeneye in the us and perfect dark in japan, and i thought the gooey bomb was going to replace it. hard to tell at this point, but i hope for a return

SonicMario

Smash Master
Even though it was credited as part of Perfect Dark. They had it say TOP SECRET. This does not mean that this is removed from Brawl.
I just hope that it doesn't personally. I love ticking those dumb A.I. computers toward them, it makes me feel smart and feels me with satisfaction of the effects on it!

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Haha. So I see we want it in for all the same reasons... lol.

I always thought it said TOP SECRET because of what kind of game it was from... you know... a spy game. You know nintendo... corny as heck. lol. But you never know.

Still, I'm in all support of the motion-sensor bombs. And the gooey bomb looks promising... it seems like it's gonna be a welcome addition to the items group.

Wait... bomb... dude... Bomberman... confirmed! lol. Jk.

Sariku

Smash Master
I say Gooey Bomb Replaces it. Why? Well duh, cause as everyone knows, the Gooey Bomb not only sticks to Brawlers, but also to the Arena. So, add Gooey Bomb + Battle Field and you get... well, you don't get Motion Senser Bomb. I think it will replace it, but I truthfully don't care what happens, as I don't usually play with items. (not saying I'm one of those hard core kind of people)

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
My thought plain and simple: The gooey bomb replaces the mines /bombs well enough sufficiently enough, if not better. My opinion, the gooey bomb should take the place of all the mines, though that's just my view on it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I don't think the game it belongs to is of any significance. A motion sensor bomb is a fairly generic device, and I don't see how Rare can have a trademark on that *shrug*

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
I prefer to have options, but with the bumper as a new item that you can strategically place on the course and the gooey as an alternative exploding device to the bo-bombs (where does that hyphen go?), I wouldn't he heartbroken to see it go. Whenever someone died from the motion sensor bomb, it just wasn't as fun as I could imagine a gooey bomb death being.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Oh... Those with the little thingys that you could hardly see when it was set right? So you would unintentionally land/run onto one without even knowing it was there right?

Those were awesome, bring them back.

WR3K

Smash Ace
no, the description of the gooey bomb still references the existance of the remote mine....

gooey bomb is all about fun, but the remote mine is ment to be stealthy while everyone sees the gooey bomb

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think WR3K is right. While the reference doesn't necessarily mean that the motion sensor is in brawl (since it could just be referring to it from the past games), I think that it seems likely that it is referring to the MSbomb being in Brawl since it didn't specifically say "the motion sensor bomb from previous games".

The mine and the gooey bomb are actually significantly different- I think it would be great if the mines were altered to be even more subtle looking, though. Do mines in real life have a flashing light just so the enemy can tell where they are? Doubtful. Maybe a light that would go off briefly ever 10 seconds, so people have to remember where they are instead of them just being in plain sight.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I seriously hope the MSB stays in. I don't usually play with items, but when I do, I LOVE the explosives. I don't think the gooey bomb could replace it though, because I'm pretty sure it's a timed explosive, and the motion sensor bomb can be on the stage for the entire match if no one steps on it, making it extra deadly.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I seriously hope the MSB stays in. I don't usually play with items, but when I do, I LOVE the explosives. I don't think the gooey bomb could replace it though, because I'm pretty sure it's a timed explosive, and the motion sensor bomb can be on the stage for the entire match if no one steps on it, making it extra deadly.
Yeah, I feel the same, but I hope this time around you can have a LOT on the stage, in melee, after a few are planted the others start to disappear :o(

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I think WR3K is right. While the reference doesn't necessarily mean that the motion sensor is in brawl (since it could just be referring to it from the past games), I think that it seems likely that it is referring to the MSbomb being in Brawl since it didn't specifically say "the motion sensor bomb from previous games".
The Dojo site seems to assume no prior knowledge of Smash Bros at all (hence the "How To Play" section), so I think it's a good bet that the mention of the MSB implies its inclusion in Brawl

The mine and the gooey bomb are actually significantly different- I think it would be great if the mines were altered to be even more subtle looking, though. Do mines in real life have a flashing light just so the enemy can tell where they are? Doubtful. Maybe a light that would go off briefly ever 10 seconds, so people have to remember where they are instead of them just being in plain sight.
^I am a huge fan of this idea^

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
No, I think it will explode over time.

I wouldn't mind if the MSB returned.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I hope they dont replace the MSB. That thing is a classic and the gooey bomb may be a close substitute but for reasons stated in this thread its also very different.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I hope they dont replace the MSB. That thing is a classic and the gooey bomb may be a close substitute but for reasons stated in this thread its also very different.
Agreed. They are ENTIRELY different.

1. The gooey bomb can stick to people. MSB cannot.
2. The gooey bomb can be passed around. MSB stays on the ground.
3. The gooey bomb is a timed explosive. The MSB is a MOTION SENSING bomb. Duh.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... the gooey bomb is a game of hot potato, not a trap. I think it's just plain very different, except that they explode.

Maxpower: For the most part the site does seem to assume that there is no prior info from melee etc, but remember that Melee was referred to when Bowser was revealed... so I still don't think the motion sensor reference is necessarily definitively referring to Brawl.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to have options, but with the bumper as a new item that you can strategically place on the course and the gooey as an alternative exploding device to the bo-bombs (where does that hyphen go?), I wouldn't he heartbroken to see it go. Whenever someone died from the motion sensor bomb, it just wasn't as fun as I could imagine a gooey bomb death being.
SSB64 had both the Bumper and MSB. They behave quite differently; one explodes on contact and the other actually moves around when you hit it.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I doubt the MSB is going anywhere. If anything the Claymore from MGS games will replace it.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
sensor bomb replaced by gooey bomb
Agreed. They are ENTIRELY different.

1. The gooey bomb can stick to people. MSB cannot.
2. The gooey bomb can be passed around. MSB stays on the ground.
3. The gooey bomb is a timed explosive. The MSB is a MOTION SENSING bomb. Duh.
Because of these differences, I doubt the MSB will be replaced by the gooey bomb.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I seriously hope the MSB isn't replaced by the gooey bomb. I often use items when my friends and I feel like messing around (and playing characters like Jigglypuff) and we thoroughly enjoy using any and all explosives. Both the gooey bomb and the MSB combined will lead to some very interesitng matches. A game of hot potato with the landscape being as dangerous as the actual bomb itself...

*biggrin*

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I seriously hope the MSB isn't replaced by the gooey bomb. I often use items when my friends and I feel like messing around (and playing characters like Jigglypuff) and we thoroughly enjoy using any and all explosives. Both the gooey bomb and the MSB combined will lead to some very interesitng matches. A game of hot potato with the landscape being as dangerous as the actual bomb itself...

*biggrin*
That is interesting indeed. It could lead to some crazy action.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The banana doesn't seem like it'd necessarily cause any damage, nor would it be able to stick to ceilings or walls. It really doesn't have many similarities except that it's a trap...
And yeah- cloaking device was from Perfect Dark.
If the bombs are back, I think they should be less obvious, and also only detonate with, well, motion. I thought it was kind of silly when another item just lying there would set off my carefully placed bombs.

Top Bottom