• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most common misconceptions about your mains.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
For my characters it's:

:4link::Has a bad recovery which I hear far too much. In actuality most good links rarely get gimped. When t faced Ranai(who mains a character with top tier edgeguarding he didn't get gimped once.

:4miisword::There's a lot of them but i'll just go over the ones I see the most. Not trying to say he's amazing or anything. I still think he's low tier but more that there is a lot of misinformation about him.

1. 1111 mii swordfighter is the worst in the game and a tier below everyone else.
  2. 1111 swordie is worse than 1111 brawler despite mii sword having both better results and theory when both are 1111.
  3. The fact he needs his custom moves to he usable even though the only mii who actually massively improves with them is brawler.
  4. He has a bad kit.

Last edited:

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
People say my character is the most honest, then they rage when I side B them to their death near the ledge when I'm clearly getting outplayed.

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
well sometimes I play marth in ssb4 and people say he's not as good as cloud. Marth in ssb4 can kill just as early if no earlier if you space your moves well, and he can actually edgeguard top tiers like fox and diddy pretty easily

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
well sometimes I play marth in ssb4 and people say he's not as good as cloud. Marth in ssb4 can kill just as early if no earlier if you space your moves well, and he can actually edgeguard top tiers like fox and diddy pretty easily
Cloud is better than Marth for reasons way more complicated than just killing early. That's not criteria that instantly makes one character better than another.

Anyway, about Lucina, people still seem to want to point that she's faster than Marth or that she has so much less range than him, despite the fact that they're the same speed and have almost competely identical range. That's not nice.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I would say the most common misconception about my main (all miis) is that all I do is sandbag and never take anything seriously. I wanna win and everything, just with miis.

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to say Marth is outright better than cloud, I just think marth in ssb4 is underrated compared to cloud, and marth/lucina both have an extreme amount of potential, especially lucina, who people always seem do disregard in favor of marth.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
I would say the most common misconception about my main (all miis) is that all I do is sandbag and never take anything seriously. I wanna win and everything, just with miis.
I remember civil war round robin when trela went swordie and even won it and the commentators were making fun of the character the whole time.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
my main is zard

misconception: he has nothing to offer vs DK and Bowser.

Truth: Zard is like a middle ground between the both of them. Dk has amazing normals, especially with Bair, but his movement is a bit harder to utilize than Zard and Bowser. Also, his disadvantage state is much worse than either character.

Bowser has a much better kill confirm with his Uthrow Hair combo, but sacrifices his neutral (worse tilts, worse aerials, worse flamethrower) for it. Has the same movement benefits as Zard though. Has a more dangerous disadvantage state with Dair, Down B, and just extremely powerful aerials.

Zard had some really good normals (jab, Dtilt, UTILT WOOOOOO, Fair is amazing, Ftilt, Usmash is amazing, etc...), and shares a movement quirk with bowser to allow him to skate over the stages effortlessly. He also sports really reliable combos with Dthrow to Fair (or Fair if the opponent position themselves upward), and has a nice kill confirm in the form of Uthrow. He takes some getting used to though.

and the movement quirk with bowser and zard is this: when you're running (not a dash), if you change direction or try to stop, these characters will have a very small cool down before instantly transitioning to whatever destination. basically, I could jab out of a run, or do a melee-inspired dash dance.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
mario still being top tier despite every other character's meta progressing at a far higher rate, getting one noteworthy result since 2016, and having a blatantly horrible matchup against the best character in the game

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
mario still being top tier despite every other character's meta progressing at a far higher rate, getting one noteworthy result since 2016, and having a blatantly horrible matchup against the best character in the game

You guys lack a progressive player base, since your character is thought to be "fundamentals: the character," and so there isn't a push to bring more depth to his meta.

And with the size of the roster, I think top tier could be extended past top 10, and more towards top 15 or so.

EDIT:

Another misconception, but it's about all characters: "what's the optimal play style of x?

Truth: there's isn't a real, obtainable optimal play style because the variables to attain it are too far and wide.

Example: Mario. The consensus would be that Mario's optimal play style is a Rushdown, brawler type of play style since he's in full effect when his combos are connecting and that he has short range. However, one has to be playing against non-grapplers, be comfortable
In high risk situations, be playing against someone not as comfortable up close, and be playing on a good day. Without these settings, playing Mario upclose would not be optimal.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
:4lucas:For Lucas I have a few.
  • PK Freeze is bad/always a misinput
  • Lucas vs Rosalina is 100% in Rosalina's favor due to Lucas being a :4ness:Ness clone
  • Commentators saying that an offstage lucas near the blastzone cannot make it back to the stage since he is a :4ness: Ness clone *cue PKT2 recovery* alongside excitement or a nevermind from commentators.

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
That every Samus main is just a 12 year old with no skill who spams charge shot.

oh who am i kidding, every samus main IS just a 12 year old with no skill who spams charge shot.

welp, at least people are always surprised when i actually use combos and barely use charge shot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MewtwoUprising

Smash Cadet
NNID
Necro84
:4tlink: All you do is spam Projectiles: Not true while we are ok with pitching a tent if the situation calls for it we use about 45-55 normals to specials because the specals combo into normals

:4kirby:: All you do is Dair up tilt/Up smash: Nope again I actually barely use dair unless i want to meteor you
:4mario:: All you do is down throw up tilt: um again nope we have down throw fair down throw nair into a possible jab lock down throw bair down tilt into basically any aerial and many other combos that one is just the most optimal at low percents

:4charizard:: All you do is flare blitz: really? Have you played a decent zard player

:4mewtwo:: Shadoooooooow Ballllllllllllll: down tilt fair, down tilt nair , nair disable, jab fair, jab disable, edge cancels with TP

:4cloud2:: no we don't just spam up air all match unless you choose to stay above us

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
"Link can't do bomb confirms". I hate when people say this one or get surprised when he does them, because Link can do any confirm Toon Link can with bombs. You don't see it as much because Link has down throw confirms or just raw kill moves in neutral, but he can do it.

"Rosa vs (Insert projectile character here) is 70-30 for Rosa because she can down-b". Yeah no. Down-B is grossly overrated, easily baited out, punishable, and at best forces a stalemate, where nobody gains ground until the projectile character starts using normals. It's helpful, but we don't win any matchup just because of it (except maybe Ness but that matchup being unwinnable for Ness is also a huge misconception).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
"Rosa vs (Insert projectile character here) is 70-30 for Rosa because she can down-b". Yeah no. Down-B is grossly overrated, easily baited out, punishable, and at best forces a stalemate, where nobody gains ground until the projectile character starts using normals. It's helpful, but we don't win any matchup just because of it (except maybe Ness but that matchup being unwinnable for Ness is also a huge misconception).
Pretty much this. Gravitational Pull may render long-ranged projectile games ineffective, but it doesn't exactly guarantee a win if the fighter can clobber you with close-ranged assaults; using projectiles at close range can potentially hit Rosalina before she even gets a chance to use Gravitational Pull against them.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The most common misconception about R.O.B. is that he is the last of his kind. But in reality there are probably around 4 R.O.B. mains so saying we are the last of our kind is overstating it.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
"Lucario rewards players for playing badly."

Ok, I get that Aura is a disliked mechanic, but Lucario players have to work very hard to get that kill move in at higher percents.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
"Lucario rewards players for playing badly."

Ok, I get that Aura is a disliked mechanic, but Lucario players have to work very hard to get that kill move in at higher percents.
I think high Aura Lucario is one of the easiest characters to KO with.

His moves are hard to dodge due to their insane range and kill super early, he can kill safely from a distance using Aura Sphere (unless the opponent has a reflector), and he has a command grab which kills. He kills even easier than Mewtwo does.

I get he has weaknesses but killing is definitely not one of them. In fact he might be the best killer in the game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy:

We aren't all that offensive compared to other Top Tier actually. Wait and bait is also really effective instead of rushing for grabs.

It's not the banana you're losing to, it's your own damned overconfidence and lack of patience.

Killing with Up Tilt IS heaps of fun

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:4samus:
All Samus does is spam projectile. There is a bit of truth in that. I think there's a bit of truth in a lot of these misconceptions, or rather, generalizations. Samus does spam, but so does every character. The only reason why she receives more criticism is because hardly anyone thinks, "Marth's continuous use of f-air is spam", or "Bayonetta's continuous use of her combos is spam." Projectiles are often criticized, probably because it's easier to observe.

Not all Samus players spam projectiles, however. In fact, it would hardly be an issue if Samus actually had a better move set to deal with opponents in close combat. Samus players who know which attacks to utilize properly can actually create a wall using jabs and tilts. Another "misconception", I suppose, is that Samus is low-tier. Well, on the current tier list she is at the top of low-tier. Some commentators and even many Samus players believe Samus is mid-tier.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think high Aura Lucario is one of the easiest characters to KO with.

His moves are hard to dodge due to their insane range and kill super early, he can kill safely from a distance using Aura Sphere (unless the opponent has a reflector), and he has a command grab which kills. He kills even easier than Mewtwo does.

I get he has weaknesses but killing is definitely not one of them. In fact he might be the best killer in the game.
This is even more notable with Mega Lucario, since if you combine a Super Mushroom with the maximum aura damage multiplier, you're basically talking about a powerhouse of destruction that puts even Giga Mac to shame.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
:4cloud:Is brain-dead and anyone can play him.

True his moves are good, but like Ike he needs good fundamentals to be played well. He won't carry a bad player.

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
This might be a tad controversial but people still view Sheik as top tier even though I don't believe she is anymore. Sheiks can't win majors anymore. (I haven't super kept up with the Sm4sh scene so forgive me someone has won a Major using only Sheik since 1.1.5 and I missed it) Sheik still has amazing frame data so people think she's up there with Cloud and Diddy and Bayo. Doc has good frame data too and he's viewed as a bad character. I still think Sheik is really good. But I have a hard time viewing her as top tier anymore when her throw combos, needles, weight etc. all got nerfed. I'd still say she's high tier but she has to work super hard to get any KO and there's so little room for error. She is among the, if not the, most technical character in the game.

Pros like ZeRo not playing Sheik anymore and other long time Sheik mains using secondaries more and more I think kinda shows her current limitations. .

Just for the record I agree her fair was OP once upon a time and her needle range nerf was good to balance her. But her weight nerf seems pointless and her throw changes crippled her combo game. I do think Sheik in teams is amazing but she needs something like a Cloud as a teammate with KO power and she still takes a lot of skill to use well.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
This might be a tad controversial but people still view Sheik as top tier even though I don't believe she is anymore. Sheiks can't win majors anymore. (I haven't super kept up with the Sm4sh scene so forgive me someone has won a Major using only Sheik since 1.1.5 and I missed it) Sheik still has amazing frame data so people think she's up there with Cloud and Diddy and Bayo. Doc has good frame data too and he's viewed as a bad character. I still think Sheik is really good. But I have a hard time viewing her as top tier anymore when her throw combos, needles, weight etc. all got nerfed. I'd still say she's high tier but she has to work super hard to get any KO and there's so little room for error. She is among the, if not the, most technical character in the game.

Pros like ZeRo not playing Sheik anymore and other long time Sheik mains using secondaries more and more I think kinda shows her current limitations. .

Just for the record I agree her fair was OP once upon a time and her needle range nerf was good to balance her. But her weight nerf seems pointless and her throw changes crippled her combo game. I do think Sheik in teams is amazing but she needs something like a Cloud as a teammate with KO power and she still takes a lot of skill to use well.
Sheik is still very good. It takes a skilled player to play her well. Properly spaced she is a beast.

Unfortunately so matchups she can rack up the damage so high, and win 9/10 neutral exchanges and loose a stock because of rage.

Honestly as a Cloud main I don't fear Sheik's the same way I do a Diddy Kong player.

Her needle nerfs hurt her bad.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
People still seem to possess illusions that Rosalina is broken or that she takes no skill to play when in actuality she’s very difficult to play correctly and has apparent weaknesses. There’s a reason why only Dabuz does consistently well with her.
Mario’s results and representation are too good for him to be anything other than top tier.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
it's not 2016 anymore. those days have long since passed with anti being as inconsistent as ever, ally going on hiatus, and zenyou still getting 33rd at majors. the only thing he has going for him is a large playerbase, which is less indicative of the character's strength and more a popularity contest

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
the only thing he has going for him is a large playerbase, which is less indicative of the character's strength and more a popularity contest
Aside from this statement being pretty laughably untrue, it’s never occurred to you that maybe the character is popular because he’s good?

1FC0

Smash Lord

True his moves are good, but like Ike he needs good fundamentals to be played well. He won't carry a bad player.
Cloud is not OP but he is simple. He's probably good for new players who want to focus on few things besides the fundamentals or for players who like playing with a simple straightforward playstyle.

Of course he still requires good spacing and mindgames like any other character.

The only thing that bothers me about him is that he gets rewarded for being pummeled with Limit Break. I wish they would remove that and just let him charge it or pummel the opponent for it.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
:4palutena:-
1 She’s a bad character, zelda is better (these people haven’t used her, she is just very niche honestly)
2 She has no offenseive game (I can pull off a defensive pressure game with her to back enemies into a corner in the right situations)
3 her main kit has no synergy (I think it does, it just accentuates her powerful defenses)
4 her counter and reflector sucks (Counter isn’t the best but I have snagged kills on cloud players with it when they try to juggle as for the reflector, its a good close range mixup when people expect dash attack, just throw it out to best shields also its spammable and can hinder recoveries)

:4lucario:- I dunno, never used him competitively, I just use him on 3ds

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
Aside from this statement being pretty laughably untrue, it’s never occurred to you that maybe the character is popular because he’s good?
lol, high tier is still pretty good. you're exaggerating what i said.

besides that, a large playerbase doesn't mean much if they aren't accomplishing anywhere near as much as actual top tiers. nairo's zss, larry's fox, both void and mr r's sheiks are all doing better than either of the top level marios. he's just not on the same level.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Diddy:

We aren't all that offensive compared to other Top Tier actually. Wait and bait is also really effective instead of rushing for grabs.

It's not the banana you're losing to, it's your own damned overconfidence and lack of patience.

Killing with Up Tilt IS heaps of fun[/QUOTE]

Lack of patience is sooo true.

Edit:

:4shulk:
  • Anything about his Monado Arts since players constantly get them wrong. Shield Art makes Vision stronger is infamous.
  • Bad Frame Data along with Frame Data jokes. Usually I hear players say that Shulk has bad endlag on his moves when it's actually the reverse and it is his startup frames.
  • Shulk's Air Slash cannot snap the ledge.
  • He is an anime swordsman.
  • :4cloud:Cloud is a better version of Shulk since their Nairs are similar, animation-wise.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Well, Cloud is . . . To be fair, with Limit active, Cloud is pretty limited (irony) with respect to being unable to use his specials. Sure, you could use any specials if you want, but when top players find ways to get Cloud off the stage, that can become a problem. My limited use of specials was one thing I had a problem with when I was trying out Cloud for the hell of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlayerZora

Smash Rookie
:4charizard:: Spamming Flare Blitz.
We've all heard this one. I use flare blitz probably 3 times a battle usually for recovery. Sometimes if I'm going in a ditto match for fun we will both spam the move. FOR FUN. And I have a couple setups for flare blitz. I just don't use it as an attack usually because it's so easily punished. You can just shield it and bam, useless.

:4littlemac:
: Spamming smash attacks.
Sometimes when I'm up a stock and I need a kill and I just don't care I turn into a C-Stick warrior. Except, unlike this stereotype, I don't randomly throw them in. Also, they're really spammable anyways so what can ya do. They're just good. You're not gonna see people primarily using his specials or tilts all the time. Really, the only other move you use on its own is like jab. You use tilts for setups for smash attacks most of the time. Or u-tilts which is the only time you use tilts on their own.
This is valid if the Little Mac is literally only throwing out random smash attacks.

I've picked up Bayonetta so here goes. (She's not quite a main but I've been playing her a lot.)

:4bayonetta2:
: Easy combos/witch time.
1. I'm actual trash at her infamous combo. So I turn it into other things. They aren't easy. And they are not the only way to rack up damage.
2. Witch time is actually punishable, as long as your opponent times it right. And I can rarely use it. It's not spammable after the second use, most of the time. After that it's just not very good for punishing, however it can get you out of a sticky situation.
3. Holy crap this character is not that easy to use. Yeah, using side-b and nair is pretty easy. But you have to train yourself to follow up on that and also use her recovery correctly. I've just gotten the recovery down.

:4palutena:-
1 She’s a bad character, zelda is better (these people haven’t used her, she is just very niche honestly)
2 She has no offenseive game (I can pull off a defensive pressure game with her to back enemies into a corner in the right situations)
3 her main kit has no synergy (I think it does, it just accentuates her powerful defenses)
4 her counter and reflector sucks (Counter isn’t the best but I have snagged kills on cloud players with it when they try to juggle as for the reflector, its a good close range mixup when people expect dash attack, just throw it out to best shields also its spammable and can hinder recoveries)
I've tried playing Palutena and my problem with her moves is that none of them are really satisfying enough for me. It's hard to land a sweetspot bair/fair. Could just be me. But I love using the reflector, it's saved a few games. She is very niche and if her moves felt better to land then she would probably be just the character for me. I think something holding her back is that a lot of her moves are just REALLY laggy. And her hitboxes (i.e. fsmash) are so wonky and bad a lot of the time. Uair and nair are probably my favourite moves. Maybe I just have to get used to her.

DCellZ

Smash Rookie
"Ike's recovery is terrible"

I have a whole collection of replays where I've won matches because someone went offstage just to get spiked by the top hit of my up b.

Sylenzo

Smash Rookie
I'm not really aware of any misconceptions about Snake.

...Anyone?
I've been told as a snake main that all he does is just set all his explosives off like I hear lots about his 'annoying' down b and 'too many projectiles'

Top Bottom