• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The most common misconceptions about your mains.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
People think that jigglypuff “has no combos” because her throws don’t lead to anything.

She does indeed have combos, they are just really difficult to start. You need either a landing up-air or an up tilt, then you can link down-airs until rest will kill. Sdi will save you, but people don’t know to use it usually.

Also, they seem to think that rest and backait are her only kill options. Not true. Up-tilt will kill mario at around 115, dash Attack and nair will kill from the edge at around 130, and failing that, pound and up-air will start killing around 180 from an airborne opponent.

Uffe

Smash Hero
:4lucas:For Lucas I have a few.
  • PK Freeze is bad/always a misinput
  • Lucas vs Rosalina is 100% in Rosalina's favor due to Lucas being a :4ness:Ness clone
  • Commentators saying that an offstage lucas near the blastzone cannot make it back to the stage since he is a :4ness: Ness clone *cue PKT2 recovery* alongside excitement or a nevermind from commentators.
I feel like Lucas has a better chance against Rosaluma than Ness does when it comes to recovery options. Also, Lucas can space with zair, whereas Ness cannot. And they're not clones. The only thing they have in common are PK Fire, PK Thunder, PSI Magnet, uair, and f-smash. Other than that, both are completely different, unlike Mario and Doc.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
"He's so easy to beat if you reflect Gordo"
Sure, that doesn't mean DDD can reflect it back at you.
"Suck and Cuc*"
You watch too much Weegee
"He's already perfect"
Sadly, no. Horrible frame data, no good options against projectile spammers, too, Gordo is risky, Up-B has too much landing lag, etc

Sprite

Smash Cadet
For my characters it's:

:4link::Has a bad recovery which I hear far too much. In actuality most good links rarely get gimped. When t faced Ranai(who mains a character with top tier edgeguarding he didn't get gimped once.

:4miisword::There's a lot of them but i'll just go over the ones I see the most. Not trying to say he's amazing or anything. I still think he's low tier but more that there is a lot of misinformation about him.

1. 1111 mii swordfighter is the worst in the game and a tier below everyone else.
  2. 1111 swordie is worse than 1111 brawler despite mii sword having both better results and theory when both are 1111.
  3. The fact he needs his custom moves to he usable even though the only mii who actually massively improves with them is brawler.
  4. He has a bad kit.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
:4kirby:
  • Final Cutter can't sweetspot the ledge. This is false. Final Cutter actually has a specific height that'll have Kirby sweetspot before he comes down. It's lower than one would imagine which is why the misconception is so persistent. At the point, you'll only get hit if you're 2 framed.
  • Inhale should never be used. Oooh does this piss me off. Inhale, especially after 1.10, is unquestionably Kirby's best (and only good) special. As a command grab, it gives Kirby a way around shields that also beats spot dodge and can help against platform camping, especially on Smashville. And in many matchups, the copy abilities can be really game changers. Heck, it even combos off a sour Up Tilt. Yet I see so many Kirbies never use it and get appropriately camped. At best they'll use it for a Swallowcide attempt.
  • D-Air is a good landing option/approach. I wish. It comes out on Frame 18, loses to practically any grounded options, and is often HIGHLY on unsafe on shield. It's best saved for hard punishes and reads. The HUP cancel is nice though.
  • N-Air is useless. While it isn't a Frame 3 Luigi N-Air, Kirby's N-Air is still one of his best neutral tools. It also little landing lag, is shockingly safe on shield, and low percents and can combo into titls, smashes, and setup a grab. If you're not hard punishing something, you're better off landing with N-Air than D-Air. Would be ultra swag if it was faster though.
  • Kirby should approach from the air. Not when your quickest aerial has 17 frames of landing lag while the other 4 hit on frame 10 (D-Air hits on 18), and your have Bottom 5 air speed. By contrast his tilts are god like. Up Tilt is even invincible. Kirby should almost always stay near the ground.
  • F-Throw -> F-Air is the best/only throw conversion. More like the easy bake conversion. In many matchups Kirby is best off doing a B-Throw -> B-Air, F-Throw -> Fastfall Up-Air/N-Air -> Pivot Up Tilt, or even F-Throw -> D-Air in some cases. F-Throw -> F-Air can be finicky in some cases, especially as percent rises. Even when it's optimal some people don't realize you can do more off it. For instance, DK can be regrabbed after it into an Up-Air -> B-Air. And while I am on the topic of throws, people have a bad habit of using F-Throw about 65-70%. At midrange Kirby can F-Throw -> Final Cutter or chase with a F-Air. But at 70% or so, it's better to pummel 2-3 times and D-Throw.

Do you want your answer in esaay form or....

:150:
After reading some comments in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/7mg22c/what_are_the_main_weaknesses_of_greninja/

I think an essay would be quite appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom