• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mosh Pit

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=1246]The Mosh Pit[/drupal]

My thoughts on society have changed. I didn't realize what the world was coming to until just recently, however. It occurred to me that the world is no longer a place where children can roam the woods without a care in the world. Now we have school shootings,terrorism, and Death metal. I learned this tragic lesson when I went to my first and last concert. It was a Mosh Pit.

Last Summer, my friends had the brilliant idea to go to a concert before school started. We only had a few weeks left of Summer, so I said,"Hey, why not?" I didn't bother to ask what band was playing or what songs we were going to hear, I was just happy I was going to my first concert. My friends picked me up at about 6:30 and we headed out. The sound of Death metal didn't escape my ears as we drove down the road, I just shrugged it off and assumed that a car that was driving by us was playing it. Sadly, I was wrong.

When we got there, I learned that it was actually the band that was playing the Death metal! They had some weird name like the Death Desciples or something idiotic like that...Immediately I asked my friends if we they could take me back. They laughed and told me we would only be there for a few songs. Piling out of the car, they ran straight into the Mosh Pit. By now I had two choices: Stay by the car where lots of Drunken College kids would be pulling up to, or go with my friends into the Mosh. The answer was as clear as rain.

About an hour passed and I asked them if they could take me home, they said they only wanted to be there for one more song and then we would leave. I said alright and that I would go wait by the car. As I was going to leave, one of them thought it was funny to push me into the Mosh Pit. Immediately I checked my surroundings. Kids on all sides, death metal behind me, and some other guy being pushed into the Pit. He happily spun and danced to the music. I am pretty sure he was drunk. My hunch was confirmed when he started leaning on me because he couldnt hold himself up. Not liking the feeling of another mans breath down my neck, I took a few steps back and the guy fell over. The crowd pointed and laughed at him and it seemed he took it personally. I know this because he got up and took a swing at me.

Telling him that fighting wasnt necessary, I decided it would be best to leave before the crowd started waiting for something to happen. As I went to leave, he pulled me back in and punched me in the jaw. Using what I had learned from my two-weeks of Karate class I knocked the guy out. This got the crowd in an uproar. Beer bottles started flying and the bands lead singer leapt off the stage. By now I knew this was bad and tried pushing my way out of the Pit in a desperate attempt to avoid any more violence. Sadly, the guy I had decked had a friend with him. He was big, and he was black. If you dont know where this is going I'll give you a hint, I woke up an hour later in my friends car with an icepack on my head.

It was then my thoughts on society changed. We are becoming progressively more and more violent as a society, and theres nothing we can do to stop it. People are given awards and medals for the violence they cause. A person will enjoy the media's glorification of them gunning down a schoolyard. I cant help but wonder if the media is one of the main reasons there is so much violence nowadays? Ah well,society is changing and its just good to be aware.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is why I stay the hell away from concerts. What ever happened to people quietly sitting and listening to music? I believe that only about 15% of the Earth's population holds any common sense, your post just about proves this.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nice blog, it was an interesting story.
You need better friends. o: Metal concerts are so lame, lol.
At least you knocked the guy out.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Dang I'm sorry about your luck man. That's a crummy situation to find yourself in, I feel bad that you got stuck there. But yea mosh pits are dangerous, I've gotten thrown backwards over a random metal chair before. (The reason I was there in the first place was not unlike your situation) Not so bad for my friends who are a bit larger than me, but being smallish, mosh pits are not for me.

Try to always have your own ride when you go out with people, so you never get stuck. You always have a quick way of getting out of there if you need to. I'm glad you ended up ok.

D

Deleted member

Lesson: don't listen to metal. Or The Jonas Brothers.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
The last time I went to a concert, two fights almost broke out and a guy got arrested. Fun times.

But you got off better than a friend of mine who got kicked in the head during a hardcore show. He woke up in his car some time later, alone, with a concussion and temporary amnesia. No joke. He found a cell phone in the car and called the most recent number, which happened to be his girlfriend, though he didn't realize she was his girlfriend at the time. After an hour of talking with her, he started to remember some things. She mentioned that they had been to his brother's birthday party a couple days before, and he said, "I have a brother?"

Long story short, he stopped going to hardcore shows shortly after that. Previous incidents at shows also included two broken noses, the second time requiring surgery.

I do, however, disagree with your assessment that violence is a new thing, whether in this society or in any other. Violence is as old as dirt. It is one of the most primal of human instincts.

I cant help but wonder if the media is one of the main reasons there is so much violence nowadays?
I doubt it. Violence predates television. There was never a time when a society of humans was clean and peaceful. There have only been times of censorship and ignorance, when incidents of violence were not reported and not discussed, when genocide was (and still is) excluded from history books. But that's about it. Media is a null value. It just makes us more aware of violence happening in places we've never been.

EDIT: But yeah, media (at least in the U.S.) is very sensationalist when it covers just about any topic.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I didn't know what a mosh pit was until about the end of last year. I looked it up on Youtube. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

You should really blame your friends for this. It sorta is their fault lol.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Most of my friends were in worse shape than I was. They had bloody noses, bloody lips, one even looked like a raccoon.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I didn't know what a mosh pit was until about the end of last year. I looked it up on Youtube. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I totally agree with you on that. i wish I knew why such things even exist.

Oh yeah, and I'm really sorry about what happened in your story Brave Hippo. :(

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
This is why I stay the hell away from concerts. What ever happened to people quietly sitting and listening to music? I believe that only about 15% of the Earth's population holds any common sense, your post just about proves this.
You are correct sir.

Top Bottom