• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
How does MK does vs. Olimar, Cloud, Villager, and Luigi?
:4greninja::4sheik::4sonic: are probably the best choices for a secondary to cover the MK matchup. Pretty sure he beats Luigi and Olimar at least +1, I've heard we beat Villager too but not sure, it's even at worst.

Cloud is too early to call but it doesn't look like he has a clear advantage as of yet. MK doesn't care about his juggles and landing traps for one thing.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I'm still unsure on the topic of secondaries, I just play Lucina and Meta Knight, as I'm best with them, along with occasional Greninja and Mewtwo (hard to pick between these 2) for a potential 3rd main or a secondary. Eh, who knows.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
imo

olimar: +1 or +2 mk favor
cloud: I have no good opinion yet, probably even.
villager: at least +1 mk favor
luigi: +1 or +2 mk favor

reasoning:
Olimar gets rekt by like everything we have, not going to sugarcoat it. uthrow stuns pikmin and from there it takes a dtilt to kill them, so mk can just uthrow u and get rid of any of the scary purples youve saved up. olimar gets smashed by uair combos at about 18%, we have a legit zero death on him too if you mess up dthrow di, or bthrow di. we **** up his recovery

I dont have much to say about cloud that isnt mostly just ignorance at this point but i really could see it being even.

villager has a hard time zoning our fast and small body, if he side bs u can read it at half stage length and dash attack him thru it, he also dies to uair combos at a fairly easy range, has bad tumble hit box too that makes it hard to mess up.

luigi just gets ****ed not gonna lie, hes not even a threat anymore since the changes, not to us anyways.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Thanks for the responses guys...**** metaknight
Meta Knight will only rise on everyone's tier lists as people optimize their punishes and incorporate those sweet back aerial and footstool combos into their gameplay. He's probably the only character who can realistically 0-death a large number of characters with consistency. MK is Sakurai's little boy. Sakurai will always bless Meta Knight. Sakurai did not nerf Meta Knight; he only made him harder to use--at least that's how I like to think about it. The best thing is, MK is widely considered to be one of the few characters to have a positive match-up against Rosa. I can only pray to see you fight Aba's MK and get rekt.

Furret24

Smash Master
At this rate, Meta Knight's going to #1 on the official tier list, whenever that's released.

Not really.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Meta Knight will only rise on everyone's tier lists as people optimize their punishes and incorporate those sweet back aerial and footstool combos into their gameplay. He's probably the only character who can realistically 0-death a large number of characters with consistency. MK is Sakurai's little boy. Sakurai will always bless Meta Knight. Sakurai did not nerf Meta Knight; he only made him harder to use--at least that's how I like to think about it. The best thing is, MK is widely considered to be one of the few characters to have a positive match-up against Rosa. I can only pray to see you fight Aba's MK and get rekt.
Sakurai nerfed Fair during the 3ds days. Sm4sh MK is pathetic compared to Brawl MK, the nerf is big because Brawl MK was that powerful.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's not even worth comparing Sm4sh MK to Brawl MK, they both exist in completely seperate metagames and also have completely different character archetypes, techs, so on.

Edit: Combo that shall not be named... the One Combo to Rule Them All?

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
So on the quest of perfecting my stairway combos I lost the little bits of a "neutral game" that I had and now it takes like 2 games to understand how I play and beat me.

Lmao fml kill me.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Lucia was looking so clean last night at that NorCal event. Shoutouts to @Ghostbone also. I see you baby.

Also every time I see a Japanese MK, I immediately just want to stop playing secondaries because I see how much more I could be doing with this character.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
So hyped for Genesis. If Leo was there it would be The Rise of Meta Knight. Even though he sadly isn't, we have a large presence at this tourney so should be a great watch. Only problem is being EU so I can only watch half of it unless I want to sleep a couple of hours before sunrise...

Oh so I've been in the lab hella hard and came across something that I've accidentally done before and thought "That's useful. Why not try to make it consistent." So I tried. And the results are hilarious and awesome. I'll be coming at you with a kill setup I see no one try to use and it's not nearly as difficult to make consistent as you would think. It has practical uses as well as more creative ones. I'm probably going to make a big post here with pictures and ****. Stay tuned.
Any update on this btw? Don't hype us up and leave us disappointed :sadeyes:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So hyped for Genesis. If Leo was there it would be The Rise of Meta Knight. Even though he sadly isn't, we have a large presence at this tourney so should be a great watch. Only problem is being EU so I can only watch half of it unless I want to sleep a couple of hours before sunrise...

Any update on this btw? Don't hype us up and leave us disappointed :sadeyes:
Oh, my bad. I've been so far in the lab I forgot to post. I'll get around to it within the next few days. I need pictures and ****.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
There's

Abadango, Tyrant, Ito, Lucia, Salena, Another Japanese MK that escapes me, Other MKs that escape me cause they'll drown and endless pocket MKs.

I'm very upset Leo couldn't make it, there's a **** ton of MKs under the same roof. Everything happens for a reason, guess God didn't want more than 1 MK in top 8.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
-watches crew battle-

Anything Mexico does will only make Leo more Godlike for dominating them(3 national wins and other TOs under his belt, even before the buffs).

Watch how the US will continue to deny the Mexican scene, despite their raw talent. Hyuga is not allowed to lose to any other MK that isn't Leo.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So, as I've mentioned multiple times, I've been trying to thin out my character list down to my top 3 characters. Some, by this point, will probably remember me asking for opinions over certain characters at one point another due to me being indecisive and wanting to make the right choice. I've had the first 2 spots filled up already by :4lucina: and good ol' :4metaknight:, but the other day, I finally decided on my number 3: :4mewtwo:.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
VoiD 3-1 Abadango in crews.

Even matchup amirite? :smirk: MK is stronger in a 3-stock format as well.

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
Aba is out :( eliminated by Zan timed out and Zinoto ATE his neutral, Aba my friend get better with ur neutral. good stuff to Ito beating who Aba lost to proving his neutral is better and tyrant for doing jab lock and keeping himself in the tour by far.

Schilt

Smash Rookie
Wait Aba is out? I thought that was just Twitch chat being Twitch chat. Damn.

How many MK's do we have left in then, Ito, Tyrant?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dang Socal got the MK match up on lock.
Doesn't surprise me.
Tyrant's been the best MK since game release ;)

During the context of said crew battle originally though, D1 was saying how Void has been having issues with Tyrant lately, and that was news to me. Have I been missing recent results as awesome as that?

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Probably no MKs in Top 8 unfortunately, unless someone has a pocket MK they want to bring out :/ From what saw Tyrant was playing well this tourney.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
People have the audacity to call Diddy MKs worst MU. When Sebrik displayed the optimal play vs MVD(beat mvd 3-1 then recent lost 3-2), then Ito and Tyrant(in crews) schooled Zinoto's Diddy Kong(who pockets MK). :dkmelee:

Why do people think Uair combo's is the only thing MK has? How did they determine his MUs before Leo beat Mr R? Glad Hyuga got 9th, strong showing in singles and crews, Mexico can't be slept on anymore.

How many MK's do we have left in then, Ito, Tyrant?
Yes.
Tyrant got 13th, Ito got 17th. No one in top 8 has a competent pocket MK so thats it.

Even matchup amirite? :smirk: MK is stronger in a 3-stock format as well.
Tyrant and Ito got sent to losers by Sheik too. Dope AF

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
People have the audacity to call Diddy MKs worst MU. When Sebrik displayed the optimal play vs MVD(beat mvd 3-1 then recent lost 3-2), then Ito and Tyrant(in crews) schooled Zinoto's Diddy Kong(who pockets MK). :dkmelee:

Why do people think Uair combo's is the only thing MK has? How did they determine his MUs before Leo beat Mr R? Glad Hyuga got 9th, strong showing in singles and crews, Mexico can't be slept on anymore.

Yes.
Tyrant got 13th, Ito got 17th. No one in top 8 has a competent pocket MK so thats it.

Tyrant and Ito got sent to losers by Sheik too. Dope AF

I don't like to think about this, but with Aba doing surprisingly poorly, and without any MK's in top 8, do you think opinions on him will fall? I mean, the community only a few months ago started to accept MK as top-tier.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Top 8 at a tournament this huge and stacked is very difficult to obtain. I myself am very happy with 2 MKs in top 24 considering the sheer amount of talent at this event.

Aba's weakness is apparent, Ranai exposed it before now and Zinoto did it again; tunneling too hard on kill confirms and not playing neutral properly is not good enough at top level. Being predictable in that way will disadvantage you vs top players no matter how ridiculous the punish game is. Will be interesting to watch Aba vs Zinoto and Zan if/when they get uploaded.

Tyrant's play has somewhat inspired me, he isn't as hot on the punishes as other top MKs but his neutral and fundamentals are so damn good that it doesn't matter. Aba and Tyrant's playstyles are like night and day. He demonstrates that MK is a strong character even without the Uair combo game plan (get them to a specific %, stale Uairs for the next stock, etc.), using his full moveset to great effectiveness; them Usmashes tho. He uses Uair combos as more of a mixup than an all-out playstyle. It's really cool.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Then RIP pikachu and ryu as well. heck ryu did significantly worse than mk in this tournament. Highly doubt opinions changed, not like it matters.

Also the reason aba did poorly wasn't because of the character(u know people who main abas pockets are salty cuz aba went only mk), its all on him. Ito cleaned up the players that beat Abadango, sadly none of abas loses were on stream i know Zan timed him out.

Aba needs to most likely fix up his neutral game, post leo mks all got this problem. Uair combo's rotting their brains since people can't play this MU.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Yeah, I see. Still, I wish Leo could've come. That boy needs to grow up quick and come over to 'Murica and show MK at his full power.

And the way Aba plays, you can see people still haven't truly figured out the character yet, and it's interesting to see the varying playstyles for one character.

I'm worried over MK's performance because I was one of those who picked him up pre-Leo. I and others here went through the dark days, and we have burst back out into the light, and I just keep on thinking, "How long is this going to last?" Hopefully we shall dominate.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Then RIP pikachu and ryu as well. heck ryu did significantly worse than mk in this tournament. Highly doubt opinions changed, not like it matters.

Also the reason aba did poorly wasn't because of the character(u know people who main abas pockets are salty cuz aba went only mk), its all on him. Ito cleaned up the players that beat Abadango, sadly none of abas loses were on stream i know Zan timed him out.

Aba needs to most likely fix up his neutral game, post leo mks all got this problem. Uair combo's rotting their brains since people can't play this MU.
I'm interested to know, could you outline the main differences between pre- and post-Leo MK mains? I've never thought about that, though I know way too many people think MK is up air: the video game.

Last edited:

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested to know, could you outline the main differences between pre- and post-Leo MK mains? I've never thought about that, though I know way too many people think MK is up air: the video game.
I think he means how before Leo beat Mr. R and brought Meta Knight into the spotlight, MK wasn't generally considered a very good character. But since then MK's been making a name for himself as people have learned to fear his early-killing death combo. But even now that he is thought of as good (many considering him top tier), the fact remains that minus the upair string > upB combo, he still isn't that amazing of a character.

In reference to Abadango (and other recent MK mains), since Aba picked up Meta Knight after that happened, he may have been focusing too much on Meta Knight's greatest strength and not putting enough practice into MK's lackluster neutral game, causing him to fail when he can't get the up-air combo off.

Top Bottom