• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Twisted_Jokerr

Smash Cadet

I want to talk about this list I saw produced in the Skype Group.

I don't really care about where I am compared to others but I shared this on Facebook since I have a lot of MKs added and a lot of them are scratching their heads. Zinoto wants to know why he's even on here lmao. Like seriously, are we gonna just look at every pocket MK that exists on Youtube? Do we just rank based off who can death combo the best or do you guys consider the other stuff....like the rest of the character?

I think this list is not all that accurate. But I wanna hear what others think.
Could we get an updated version of this?

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
:4metaknight: VS. :4falcon:?
I suck at this match up. I know that he falls fast so so it is easier to do the "unnamed combo"...

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
:4metaknight: VS. :4falcon:?
I suck at this match up. I know that he falls fast so so it is easier to do the "unnamed combo"...
idk about specific matchup tips other than if he's recovering with Up-B from below, you can catch him with a lot of stuff (most well-known: jab) because he extends his hurtbox. Take advantage of when he's offstage.

Ito vs Fatality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyG3vpzLeM

Tyrant vs BMW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teaXNoEbXQU

Also Ito has played Tearbear a bunch of times so you can search YouTube for those sets too.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
idk about specific matchup tips other than if he's recovering with Up-B from below, you can catch him with a lot of stuff (most well-known: jab) because he extends his hurtbox. Take advantage of when he's offstage.

Ito vs Fatality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDyG3vpzLeM

Tyrant vs BMW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teaXNoEbXQU

Also Ito has played Tearbear a bunch of times so you can search YouTube for those sets too.
Thanks for these. I should probably go to the Falcon boards for more help...

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
RIP metaknight boyz 2015-2016. We had a good run. Hopefully zss goes down with us lmao. (Sakurai literally watched abadango mutilate nairo) (dont take this seriously). Time to migrate to bayonetta

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It was pretty much
1 Abadango
2 Nairo
3 Komorikiri
4 SH
5 Shu/Choco
7 Ranai
It looked like an invitational tho
:196:

Magnemite

Smash Cadet
So on one day MK won two decently stacked tournaments and is in winners top 8 of another after beating esam and anti... I'd say it was a pretty good day for us lol

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
So on one day MK won two decently stacked tournaments and is in winners top 8 of another after beating esam and anti... I'd say it was a pretty good day for us lol
Yeah that's cool

Except that Sakurai was watching one of them and will now probably nerf MK Kappa

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I'm personally thrilled about Abadango's performance. He played exceptionally well and I'm super glad he won the event. Really sad Ranai didn't place higher though. :( I really wish SH didn't knock out Ranai. Ranai vs. Nairo would've been way more hype than SH vs. Nairo.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Abadango was just salty for what happened at G3. Why else would he trash the braindead swordsman and beat Nairo's ZSS that hard?

The results MK got in one day were insane, this tends to happen once or twice a month. Lets hope we dodge the bullet, Lord knows Sheik and ZSS(maybe not now) are safe.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
:4ryu::Master! Master!
:4metaknight::It is too late...It's...
:4ryu::No!
:4metaknight::Ryu promise... promise me you'll train the boy...
:4ryu::Yes, Master...
:4metaknight::He is the chosen one...He will...Bring balance...Train him

And that's the story of how Darth Kirby started

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92

Forreal though, I'm calling that we will be ok. Uair combos were intentional and the worst that will happen is the removal of Bair to Dtilt lock.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Hi guys,

I'm back from a 6 month break where I'd only casually play MK and a few other caracters. I used to roam this board when we were trying to convince people that MK wasn't lower mid tier.

I'd like to get better with our bat, and I've noticed that top MKs like Abadango and Leo now land the combo that shall not be named on almost every stock on pretty much all characters. How do they do that ? I know that it's easier with tap jump / c stick attack, but I don't feel like changing a 7 years habit for one combo. Do some of you manage it consistently with Y/A and tap jump off ? I don't have much time to spend in practice mode, and I've been wondering lately if the combo is not a matter of % and rage knowledge rather than pure technicity and DI following.

Oh and I join the prayer for wednesday.

eclipsis17

Smash Cadet
Welcome back!
Tap jump isnt actually the best way to perform the combo, as you need the control stick for full air mobility and we don't want to be wasting it pressing it up. Using a shoulder button as jump, in my opinion is the easiest way to do it. Those that don't like the shoulder button find that switching to claw is the easiest way to do it.

Ito has a video explaining this: https://youtu.be/ak9DNqItd-E

If you can manage getting used to a shoulder button as jump, its definitely worth it.
Hope I helped

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Thanks for your answer, I always set L to jump even though I'm not used to using it because the triggers feel clanky when using it more than one time. I guess you have to set Cstick on attacks though, right ?

^ Nice guess, even though I'd say the Nair, Ftilt and jab's buffs in June 2015 were really significant and made him cross the gap between lower high and high tier.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Thanks for your answer, I always set L to jump even though I'm not used to using it because the triggers feel clanky when using it more than one time. I guess you have to set Cstick on attacks though, right ?

^ Nice guess, even though I'd say the Nair, Ftilt and jab's buffs in June 2015 were really significant and made him cross the gap between lower high and high tier.
no.

mk is top 5 because uair combos are ******** bull****.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
If you wanna get REAL crazy you could try Z jump. Also yeah C-stick attack is generally considered to be best.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Check out this sick art work I had commissioned of me.

Also I hope you guys prayed to whatever you believe in that we don't get nerfed today lmao. People really want us to get the ****.

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
To be honest, I think MK will get touched somehow today. Not sure how, but I don't think they're going to leave him untouched this time.

Twisted_Jokerr

Smash Cadet
If theres anything that i may say to dash your fears of a nerf, its that there wasnt an over abundance of MK's at the tourney. In the pre patch diddy days, Diddy kong was everywhere because he was so overpowered. Sakarai took notice and nerfed diddy.

MK is perfect the way he is. He isnt too over powered and he isnt too weak. Hopefully Daddy sees this and will make the other characters just as strong. MK is fine. Plus if anything when nairo won the last tourney with zss, did she get any nerfs? All im saying is that we shouldn't bee too worried, for a nerf.

CreatureComforts

Smash Rookie
I'm still a bit concerned, because MK players are more common in Japan than in the US, and I would imagine that Sakurai would take more notice of Japanese tournaments than American tournaments..

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
So, I am currently solo maining MK. Pocketing Mewtwo. Untill I find a secondary, 2X more practice with MK.

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Looks like Tyrant lost to a Bayonetta at Xanadu. Videos will be uploaded soon.

EDIT: He got 3rd on the tourney losing to 2 Bayonettas, one of them being Pink Fresh. Pretty sad.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
RIP subforum more like

Skype/Discord delivered the lethal blow

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
So...I've kinda been "out of the meta knight scene" for a while, largey due to a broken 3DS. And since bayonetta came out, I've been playing MK far less. That being said, has MK devolved into "upair combo the character" or am I just missing something? Because watching some MKs (and playing some online) it seems that upair strings is all people do with this character these days.

There was one MK player on the showdowngg youtube channel recently, and all he did was upair strings. Besides being incredibly unhype and boring, he taunted several times, too, as if he was doing something impressive.

Is this just what MK does now? Personally, I cant do the upair combo to save my life (being stuck on the 3ds doesnt help), so I've always had to win without it. It was cool at first, but now it just seems so cheesy and gimmicky.

Top Bottom