• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Looking at Leo's and Tyrants MKs, its safe to say that he isn't an uair combo meathead like the MK you were watching. It also depends on the opponents, if they know how to DI Dash attack, Down throw etc(surprisingly people suck at doing so) the MK player shouldn't be stealing wins so easily.

I personally find it hype when a MK gets the shuttle loop at awkward angles since not everyone can do that during the heat of the moment. Anyone can do uair combos on CPU, anyone can uair combo some scrub on FG and so on.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Rip thread
Eh, I've noticed this thread usually goes through cycles. Activity usually picks up when something relevant happens to MK or around the time of a big tournament and then after that the thread kinda dies for like a week or two.

...I should probably join the Skype/Discord as well though...

Schilt

Smash Rookie
Going to BEAST 6 tomorrow, and I've got J Miller in my pool. Rip is me, still gonna try my best to take some names in the pools if I can.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
An update on my end, I passed my MSc with minor corrections and also got a job offer. Moving down south with my girlfriend in the next month, and will finally have my Wii U back in action so I can practise properly. There are a couple of monthlies sort of nearby which I plan to go to as my first tourneys, at least one of them has a stream as well which is cool. I'll be an hour away from London so I can attend things there as well, it being the strongest region in the UK means this will be good experience for me.

I'm ready to get bopped and start my journey of self-improvement to become a top UK Meta Knight. Watch this space.

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
An update on my end, I passed my MSc with minor corrections and also got a job offer. Moving down south with my girlfriend in the next month, and will finally have my Wii U back in action so I can practise properly. There are a couple of monthlies sort of nearby which I plan to go to as my first tourneys, at least one of them has a stream as well which is cool. I'll be an hour away from London so I can attend things there as well, it being the strongest region in the UK means this will be good experience for me.

I'm ready to get bopped and start my journey of self-improvement to become a top UK Meta Knight. Watch this space.
I'm getting my Wii u up and running tomorrow too. Getting a TV then I can start working on my mk after a three month break. Glad my region has weeklies and monthlies.

N~W .

Smash Cadet

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I was there, I just drowned in pools :D

Supposedly there was another MK player there as well, but I never actually saw them; swear to **** I saw more Samus players than MK players.
That's too bad. Usually MK gets a nice large amount of rep at big tourneys like that.

Last edited:

Schilt

Smash Rookie
That's too bad. Usually MK gets a nice large amount of rep at big tourneys like that.
Yeah, it's a bit weird really, Europe seems to have very few MK's in general. I'm literally the only Meta Knight player in Scotland, and even down in England I don't really know any MK players, asides from Jamurai, but that's literally because I see him post on here, not because I've seen his gameplay or anything.

I'm happy to be repping the Bat within Europe anyway, if I can make some people fear the combo (And I certainly did in pools), then I'm a happy person.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Yeah, it's a bit weird really, Europe seems to have very few MK's in general. I'm literally the only Meta Knight player in Scotland, and even down in England I don't really know any MK players, asides from Jamurai, but that's literally because I see him post on here, not because I've seen his gameplay or anything.

I'm happy to be repping the Bat within Europe anyway, if I can make some people fear the combo (And I certainly did in pools), then I'm a happy person.
Well, Europe is missing out. MK's so great. It's weird that there aren't a lot of EU MKs since he's so popular in America.

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
There's only one over here in Spain and he barely has the time to play nowadays.

I dual main Luigi/Meta Knight but I've still got a long way to go.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92

NW is the only actual high level MK in England I'm aware of, and warionumbah2 is from here as well. For the record, both are significantly better than I am (for now :smirk:).

I will maybe have gameplay out there in the next month or two. A monthly tourney I plan to go to has a stream set up. I'm nowhere near the level I want to be atm partly because I haven't practiced on a Wii U for six months, but I'm confident I will improve in the near future as I go to tourneys and play people offline again (which I haven't done since Brawl). Hopefully I can pick up a practice partner or two.

Schilt

Smash Rookie
On another note entirely, is there an MK Discord kicking about?

I finally got around to setting up an account and downloading the app for it, so I might as well use it.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
This board used to be low in activity(small player base), but Skype and Discord killed it.

R.I.P this character board.

MK isn't even a popular pick, its just the strong MKs tear through regionals and nationals so people are under the impression that he's on the rise when really its the same old MKs doing things. MK also isn't a popular pocket honestly, especially with the inclusion of Cloud. The most relevant MU he actually has a huge advantage in is against Rosalina and Luma.

There's only 2 known MKs in Japan, but Salena is super inconsistent and Abas stolen the show. Mexico only has Leo, NA has Tyrant and Ito in Socal then you got Jband all the way in Texas. There's others but alot of the time like in G3 they drown so you probably never see their names. The representation is better than before, but its not a baby boom or anything.

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
I would like to join Discord if most of the discussion nowadays is happening there.

I used to be in the skype group but tons of work taking up my time meant that I couldn't possibly sift through the tons of spam in the skype chat, making it impossible to keep up with information relevant to the character.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yo. Still around doing my thing. Got 5th out of 70 at a stacked event today.

Wins:

Manslayer :4bayonetta:
SETHsational :4falcon:(Ranked 4th in Michigan)
Smasher1001 :4mario::4megaman: (Ranked 7th in Michigan)
ADVO :4gaw: (Today's dark horse. Beat several great players)

Losses:

V115 :4zss:(Ranked in Ontario)
LOE1 :4luigi:(Ranked 2nd in Michigan)

100% :4metaknight:. The way it should be.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This board used to be low in activity(small player base), but Skype and Discord killed it.

R.I.P this character board.

MK isn't even a popular pick, its just the strong MKs tear through regionals and nationals so people are under the impression that he's on the rise when really its the same old MKs doing things. MK also isn't a popular pocket honestly, especially with the inclusion of Cloud. The most relevant MU he actually has a huge advantage in is against Rosalina and Luma.

There's only 2 known MKs in Japan, but Salena is super inconsistent and Abas stolen the show. Mexico only has Leo, NA has Tyrant and Ito in Socal then you got Jband all the way in Texas. There's others but alot of the time like in G3 they drown so you probably never see their names. The representation is better than before, but its not a baby boom or anything.
That's a really negative outlook. MK is doing great and he's ranked in the top 10 for a reason. By the way, all the character boards (except the ones for the bottom tiers) are dead. It's because people don't have much to talk about in them anymore.

Furret24

Smash Master
That's a really negative outlook. MK is doing great and he's ranked in the top 10 for a reason. By the way, all the character boards (except the ones for the bottom tiers) are dead. It's because people don't have much to talk about in them anymore.
Mewtwo isn't bottom tier.
:162:

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Finally, I got the opportunity to go to the second tournament in my smash "career". It was a 45 minutes drive (thankfully, because this tourney is the only weekly in my country). What was my placing, you ask? Well, I never said I played! I couldn´t find the place. That also means I haven´t lost a single tournament game!

On a different (and more serious) note, I want to thank all the posters in this subforum. The amount of information I´ve learned from here is unreal and has allowed me to learn even with my hard scene situation. I get it, Discord and Skype are better suited for dynamic discussions and MK hasn´t been making a lot of waves lately, but we are letting this place get rusty, lonely, forgotten. I´m sure we can do something about it. Or else, invite me to the good Discord real quick :D

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Come to Mexico in July for Smash Factor 5, only the travel itself will be relatively expensive, but everything else (food, stay, food, registry, food, and specially food) is incredibly cheap compared to other countries.

And there's the extra of watching M(k)~Leo in person.

:196:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
So it seems Umeki (AKA best Peach) really doesn't like the MK matchup...

That's his MU list as of today.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////

Last edited: