• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the MD/VA Melee Tournament Finder

Laijin

Smash Hero
Top ten would be like (in no order)

Cyrain
Chu
Tope
Doll
G-reg
Chillin
Redd
Plank
Travis
Boss?

Sorry about the double post my browser fails and doesn't have the edit button.
Umm..what?
For the past 6 months I have been going to MD/VA tournaments. I have never seen Tope, Cyrain, Boss,Doll at any tournament. I have never even heard of Boss. I wasn't even aware they were in our region. lol. I met Tope and Cyrain in Florida a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find out they lived in VA.
So they shouldn't be on the PRs until they start showing up to tournaments again.

From what I've seen, in no particular order these are the people are in my opinion valid to be on the PRs.

Plank
Chu
Chillin
Travis
Thumbs
Redd
Vist
Laijin
Voodoo
Newb
Winston
G-Reg

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If we don't count Tope, our PR would look something like 1. ChuDat 2. Redd 3. chillindude829 4. Plank 5. Boss 6. Chinesahh 7. g-regulate 8. Thumbswayup 9. Vist 10. Voodoo 11. The Newb 12. Husband 13. Winston 14. HAT 15. Laijin.

Note that I'm taking into account performances at the local and national level. This is a rough list, just to have an idea for now.

I've intentionally abstained from including Wife, Korn, Doll, Cyrain, Ether, CK, and others for being inactive.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'll just have to whoop Winston in tournament to get on Joe's dumb power ranking I guess ~_~

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who the **** is Laijin and why does he always make the dumbest posts I've seen in my 6 months of being on smashboards?

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Laijin, you seemed like a reasonably nice guy when I met you so I won't flame you, but maybe we'd attend more tournaments if MD/VA actually hosted something that was worth the travel time. I think I'd rather spend my day at the river than spend 2 hours in a car to come **** a 7 team tournament with Tope. Luckily, singles isn't a big deal to me so being excluded from the PR doesn't bother me. Just trying to point out why your idea is silly. I just spent the night playing Tope, chillin, g-reg, savedge and doll at our own little fest. Playing most of the best that MD/VA has to offer without having to go to some silly tourney. So as soon as the rest of MD/VA steps it up enough, you'll see my face at small tournaments. Otherwise, I'll stick to nationals.

Also, Savedge needs to be on that list, but since he travels so rarely I definitely understand why he got overlooked.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Umm..what?
For the past 6 months I have been going to MD/VA tournaments. I have never seen Tope, Cyrain, Boss,Doll at any tournament. I have never even heard of Boss. I wasn't even aware they were in our region. lol. I met Tope and Cyrain in Florida a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find out they lived in VA.
Tope and Doll just went to sypher's tournament this weekend.

From what I've seen, in no particular order these are the people are in my opinion valid to be on the PRs.

Plank
Chu
Chillin
Travis
Thumbs
Redd
Vist
Laijin
Voodoo
Newb
Winston
G-Reg
Voodoo, Newb, Winston, and you are nowhere near the level of play that the players you are not counting. They still attend national and out of state tournaments. They don't attend local tournaments because it's a long drive for them to play ****ty players and then not even make a profit if they win the tournament due to the price of gas. I think all of these players are better than me, but nowhere near somebody like Tope, Doll, or Cyrain. Tope is one of the best shiek players in the world and you don't want to count him? I heard Doll beat Armada in Peach dittos (i think they were friendlies but still...) at Pound 4.

I just spent the night playing Tope, chillin, g-reg, savedge and doll at our own little fest. Playing most of the best that MD/VA has to offer without having to go to some silly tourney.
Let me know when these happen when I go back down to Richmond. I suck but want to improve lol.

Also, Savedge needs to be on that list, but since he travels so rarely I definitely understand why he got overlooked.
I forgot about him srry...

Richmond players are legit, md/va's top 5 prolly includes 2 or 3 richmond area players
I go to VCU so this is why I know this. Richmond is so wtfrape. Thefear and his brother (who retired now) are really ****.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Fear is actually playing vs. Savedge about 5 feet from me haha. He's gotten back into it. Poehlcat has also gotten much better recently and will most likely continue to improve at a silly rate while he's playing with TR. Thanks for hyping us up so much. =P

But again, I couldn't really care less about being on an MD/VA PR. I'll just wait til it gets posted and then come **** anyone below 3rd lol.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Look, we all know Richmond ***** and etc. etc. Nobody is trying to discredit you guys. We were just making a list from people who aren't super far away from us and therefore we actually see at tournaments.

I know you guys all mentioned that the reason you guys don't come is the travel time and not inactivity, but I think that kind of indicates that we are barely the same region. Otherwise Tope, Doll, Cyrain, etc. would easily make the PR.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
What Sage said is the truth.

"They don't attend local tournaments because it's a long drive for them to play ****ty players and then not even make a profit if they win the tournament due to the price of gas."

Call it arrogance or whatever you will, but I only enjoy teams and I'd say Tope and I are 99% guaranteed to win any local tourney, but it isn't worth attending for a 7 team tournament lol.

If MD/VA steps it up in coming months, I'm sure we'll show our faces. Til then we are better off sitting in an apartment playing each other for free.

Vist

Smash Champion
Voodoo, Newb, Winston, and you are nowhere near the level of play that the players you are not counting. They still attend national and out of state tournaments. They don't attend local tournaments because it's a long drive for them to play ****ty players and then not even make a profit if they win the tournament due to the price of gas. I think all of these players are better than me, but nowhere near somebody like Tope, Doll, or Cyrain. Tope is one of the best shiek players in the world and you don't want to count him? I heard Doll beat Armada in Peach dittos (i think they were friendlies but still...) at Pound 4.
You make it sound like Tope, Doll and Cyrain clearly trounce the rest of MD/VA. Tope probably wouldn't lose to anyone outside of Chillin / Chu as of right now, but I don't see much reason to think to think the rest of Richmond would do the same.

The thing is, doing a PR would be tricky since there's quite a few players that would probably be deserving of a spot on the list, but have few if any tournament results to back it up. This goes beyond just Richmond players, but people like Husband/Wife, KM and HAT.

Call it arrogance or whatever you will, but I only enjoy teams and I'd say Tope and I are 99% guaranteed to win any local tourney, but it isn't worth attending for a 7 team tournament lol.

If MD/VA steps it up in coming months, I'm sure we'll show our faces. Til then we are better off sitting in an apartment playing each other for free.
I can see not willing to drive up here b/c it wouldn't really be worth it regardless of winning, but yea saying you guys are 99% guaranteed to win any local tourney is pretty arrogant ROFL.

im still stuck on how he doesn't know who boss is... Is he joking? seriously?
If you're talking about Laijin, just so you guys know he came here from like Florida or something like that several months back and meanwhile Boss hasn't entered anything but brawl tournaments since Pound 4.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Using results from only the most recent MD/VA tournaments (compounded with my knowledge of how well the players match up against one another), it shapes up to something like

1. ChuDat
2. Tope
3. chillindude829
4. Redd
5. Chinesahh
6. Plank
7. g-regulate
8. Thumbswayup
9. Vist
10. Doll
11. Voodoo
12. The Newb
13. Husband
14. Winston
15. Laijin.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Who the **** is Laijin and why does he always make the dumbest posts I've seen in my 6 months of being on smashboards?
Alright dude. I don't see how my post could be considered dumb when my point is pretty valid. I have not seen you at a tournament in half a year(not counting the most recent sypher's since I made that post before then.). I'm fully aware that you're good and all, thats cool. But theres no way to accurately judge how good you are against the rest of MD/VA if you have barely played the rest of MD/VA in half a year. However, showing up to random tournament's(like Syphers) is better than nothing at all. I really hope you can see my point here.

What Sage said is the truth.

"They don't attend local tournaments because it's a long drive for them to play ****ty players and then not even make a profit if they win the tournament due to the price of gas."

Thats completely understandable as to why they don't attend local tournaments. I probably wouldn't come to tournaments either if every one of them were two hours away.

im still stuck on how he doesn't know who boss is... Is he joking? seriously?
What Vist said. I have never seen this dude at a tournament nor have I heard of anyone mentioning him(barely) except for now. I honestly, once again, can't see how you guys would even consider including him in the PRs if he never goes to tournaments. Maybe if this was like a year ago, but the guy has not been to a tournament since I have been here.

Anyways. My point is this:
People who don't go to tournaments in our region at all shouldn't be on the PRs.
Everyone else should(even if it is sporadic like once or twice a every couple of months).

Its quite simple guys.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
@ Vist, who is going to beat us? Maybe chu/chillin. So if those 2 specifically team up, it's not a 99% chance. But you get what I am saying. And again, I only talk **** in teams. I don't ever do well in singles, nor do I often try. But either way, locals are not worth it lol.

On the other hand, I love you Vist. =D You're one of the first people I ever played serious Melee with haha.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If the issue is travel time, maybe we should just have separate PRs for MD and VA so we can have rankings that actually represent attendance at tournaments. If people don't want to drive OOS for tournies, that's fine, they'll just be on their own state's PR instead of both. The people that do go OOS somewhat frequently can be on both PRs. I know I haven't been going to tournaments for very long, but this makes sense to me. I also would say PRs seem to be a big motivator for improvement so if MD/VA is going to step up national rankings, it would probably help to get some legit competition for local tournaments first.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
How 'bout people can just come down here and smash. That's an easier way to get good than us hosting a tournament.
Also, why is no one saying anything about Savedge? Hell, he attended a local tourney more recently than I have and I'm surprised no one has mentioned him as a candidate. Not too long back he 6-0'd Redd in grand finals at a tech tourney.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
s'all in good fun mr laijin XD

the issue isn't really travel time the issue is attendance. You newer players have to understand that i come from a backround of a weekly tournament with guarenteed at least 30+ every time. hahaha so anything less than that doean't interest me that much. I mean really 5$ a person and less than 20 people???? even if Im lucky enough to win it means i profit like <60$ after its all said and done. lol i mean i make more than that at my job XP

well anyway... ill start trying to attend more stuffs :)

this is such a good game

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
For those who don't remember... I used to host richmond tournies over a 6 month period but stopped when we started getting like 9 and 8 people per tournament...

I mean seriously its just a smashfest at that point XD

Vist

Smash Champion
@ Vist, who is going to beat us? Maybe chu/chillin. So if those 2 specifically team up, it's not a 99% chance. But you get what I am saying. And again, I only talk **** in teams. I don't ever do well in singles, nor do I often try. But either way, locals are not worth it lol.

On the other hand, I love you Vist. =D You're one of the first people I ever played serious Melee with haha.
haha yeah man I remember that. Good times

Btw I agree that you guys probably wouldn't lose teams to anyone around here cept chu/chillin, I just thought the 99% was funny b/c it seemed so random lol. We'll eventually get some beastly teams going up here tho ;)

<3 Cyrain & the rest of the Richmond crew

Laijin

Smash Hero
s'all in good fun mr laijin XD

the issue isn't really travel time the issue is attendance. You newer players have to understand that i come from a backround of a weekly tournament with guarenteed at least 30+ every time. hahaha so anything less than that doean't interest me that much. I mean really 5$ a person and less than 20 people???? even if Im lucky enough to win it means i profit like <60$ after its all said and done. lol i mean i make more than that at my job XP

well anyway... ill start trying to attend more stuffs :)

this is such a good game
You guys are lucky.
In GA, we would be happy if we had 20 people show up to a tournament. This was all from 2004-2007. We did have frequent regional tournaments which had 30-40 people, but those were a few times a year =\ In Florida, tournaments were definitely much larger more often. :) Then I move up here thinking it would be a scene thats just as big, but nope.
In return though, the tournaments ARE the most frequent I ever seen in comparison to both GA and FL. So thats a plus in comparison to the negative of less people. I can deal with that. More melee = More fun

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ Vist, the 99% is just because there's that 1% chance that we would **** up and lose to someone randomly. I mean, if I had said we had a 100% of victory then THAT would have been true arrogance. =P

-Note- This is Cyrain.
And I make Tope my biiiiiitch in Melee.

Vist

Smash Champion
You guys are lucky.
In GA, we would be happy if we had 20 people show up to a tournament. This was all from 2004-2007. We did have frequent regional tournaments which had 30-40 people, but those were a few times a year =\ In Florida, tournaments were definitely much larger more often. :) Then I move up here thinking it would be a scene thats just as big, but nope.
In return though, the tournaments ARE the most frequent I ever seen in comparison to both GA and FL. So thats a plus in comparison to the negative of less people. I can deal with that. More melee = More fun
The sad thing is, tournaments in md/va used to be pretty ****ing big before brawl came out.

Cyrain- lmao

Cyrain

Smash Ace
MD/VA tourneys did used to be the **** for real. I miss when H2YL and TA were all top tier players. I don't miss getting ***** and never placing above like 25th though lol.

@ Chivalruse- Doll at number 10 and husband at 13 is blowing my mind. So if I attend one tournament like Tope and Doll did, do I get to be sprinkled somewhere in there too? If it's thaaaat easy, I'll just swing on by a MD tourney some time.

The Fear

Smash Cadet
If you're talking about Laijin, just so you guys know he came here from like Florida or something like that several months back and meanwhile Boss hasn't entered anything but brawl tournaments since Pound 4.
I understand that lately his attendance is horrible, but Boss is synonymous with mario in this region. Im surprised no one up there has even gone so far as bringing him up even casually. However, all in all if you move to a new region you should probably research the top players in past before your arrival it could help put things in perspective.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I understand that lately his attendance is horrible, but Boss is synonymous with mario in this region. Im surprised no one up there has even gone so far as bringing him up even casually. However, all in all if you move to a new region you should probably research the top players in past before your arrival it could help put things in perspective.
My research of top players in my region happens at tournaments. I don't really enjoy spending a ton of time on swf.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Chivalruse- Doll at number 10 and husband at 13 is blowing my mind. So if I attend one tournament like Tope and Doll did, do I get to be sprinkled somewhere in there too? If it's thaaaat easy, I'll just swing on by a MD tourney some time.
The goals behind building up an MD/VA PR:

-to bolster tournament attendance with incentives beyond pot takings (esteem, bragging rights, etc.), thereby keeping alive the competitive spirit
-to make seeding easier
-to gauge the strength of our region on a national scale

I appreciate that you're confident in your abilities. But until you actually start taking singles more seriously, it's unfair to everyone else who has been attending tournaments regularly. I know it's weird having Doll and Tope on the list all of a sudden, but I did that for reasons not so much connected with deservedness.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm moving into my own apartment coming this august. If I clear it with my landlord I can totally start hosting things... You guys just have to be quiet and it'll probably have to be less than 15 people lolz.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If Winston hosted a Smashfest in Gaithersburg, who would show up?
Likewise, would people go to College Park? Voodoo has the Newlyweds and Vist over on a regular basis I believe ...

g-regulate

Smash Hero
We can't gauge the strength of our region on a national scale if we don't include many people from our state who still are active. I agree that Tope doesn't go to MD/VA tournaments, and because of that shouldn't be high on the list.... but on the flip side, any list WITHOUT tope being at least top 2 is clearly flawed, because Tope has been attending national tournaments (and placing.... well) on the east coast, in the south, and beyond for over the past year..... and he lives in Virginia.

So the quandary arises. A list with Richmond very high isn't fair to lesser players who go to md/va tourneys, but a list without them isn't an accurate representation of the skill of our region at all.

I don't really like doing these anymore anyway (PR's, that is). Any "skill level" that is assigned by someone else is generally inaccurate anyway, the only thing that matters is "who is winning the money".

heres my power rankings. are you winning money? then chances are you are pretty good. Not winning any money? you suck, get better plz.

now im gonna go practice for like 10 hours, because thats how melee champions are made (also, how big losers at life are made)

Top Bottom