• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayor of New Donk City: Pauline for Smash Switch!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's real! However, they seem shy about revealing details for the bonus content for now.

Laniv

Smash Champion
At long last, my Pauline moveset is completed!

Pauline Puts On a Show!!
1599166764155.png

The beloved mayor of New Donk City, Pauline shoots for the moon! In the world of Smash Bros., Pauline pulls from all her life experiences, from her humble origins as Nintendo’s first leading lady, to the mayor of a sparkling metropolis, to tussle with the best of them! As befitting a city planner, Pauline is a master of stage control, using both the toys from her tenure as a company spokeswoman and her masterful singing voice to keep foes on their toes. Odyssey, ya see...

Weight: 91 (tied with Toon Link and Palutena)
Walk: 1.18 (tied with Mr. Game & Watch)
Dash: 2 (inbetween Young Link and Kirby)
Jumps: 2
Air Speed: 1.17 (tied with Mii Swordfighter)
Fall Speed: 1.7 (tied with ZSS and King K. Rool)

Jab: Slaps twice with her leading arm. Like Peach and Daisy's, but stronger and with a little more pop to it. 3%, 5%.
Forward Tilt: Takes off her hat and swats with it. 8%.
Up Tilt: Pauline jumps up with her fist in the air. It's that one motion she does during the New Donk City Festival. 4%.
Down Tilt: Swipes her leg low to the ground. 8%.
Dash Attack: Pauline spins around twice as she moves forward before posing with her hand up. 2.3% (first two hits), 6% (end).

Forward Smash: When this move is used, Pauline will take out a familiar looking hammer. There’s a sweetspot at the head of the hammer. 19% (head), 10% (handle).
Up Smash: Pauline pops up her parasol and opens it when it's above her. This move protects her from attacks from above. 3% (hit 1), 14% (hit 2).
Down Smash: Pauline throws her hat around her in a wide circle, leaving behind a rainbow trail. The hat spins around her twice, with a slightly bigger radius the second time around. 15% (max range), 11% (point blank).

Neutral Aerial: Pauline twirls her purse around her. The animation resembles Palutena's n-air. 1.5% (hits 1-4), 4.5% (hit 5).
Forward Aerial: Pauline takes her hat and swipes it downward, swinging her arm so hard she tumbles forward. This is very similar to Peach and Daisy’s f-air. 17% (hat), 14% (arm).
Back Aerial: Pauline takes her hat and swipes it backward while spinning, hitting twice. 4.7% (hit 1), 5.8% (hit 2).
Up Aerial: Pauline tosses her hat upwards a short distance. 7%.
Down Aerial: Pauline stomps downward with one leg. 8.1%.

Grab: Pauline grabs with one hand.
Pummel: Pauline knees the opponent. 1.4%.
Forward Throw: Pauline pushes the foe away with both hands. This causes the foe to trip, allowing for follow-ups. 4% (hit), 3% (throw).
Back Throw: Grabs the opponent by the arm, and forcibly yanks them around and behind her. 10%.
Up Throw: Pauline will grab the foe, bounce them on her parasol, and toss them up. 7% (hit), 4.2% (throw).
Down Throw: Pauline takes out a barrel and smashes it over the opponent's head. Her most damaging throw. 18%.

Neutral Special—Cap Throw: Pauline throws her hat in front of her like a boomerang. The range is slightly shorter than that of K. Rool’s Crownerang. Her hat spins as it flies, hitting opponents multiple times. If the button is held, the hat will home in on the nearest opponent. Much like Mega Man’s Metal Blade, the hat can be thrown in different directions by flicking the control stick after the button is pressed. Additionally, there's a 1/6 chance that Pauline’s hat will have Bonneter eyes on it when it’s thrown, but this is purely an aesthetic bonus. 5% (initial throw), 1.2% (spinning attack), 3% (return).

Side Special—New Donk Melody: Pauline takes out a microphone and sings a couple of notes. Her music moves slowly forward in the form of up to three music notes in bubbles. If one touches an opponent, they will be forced to taunt, no matter what they were doing. This specific taunt will be non cancelable If an opponent is in midair, they will taunt as soon as they touch the ground, unless they grab a ledge.

Up Special—Jack Lift: Pauline bounces off a jack/spring/whatever those things are called. It’s basically Sonic and Mega Man’s up special, with Pauline being able to act out of it. Other characters can bounce off the jack as well.

Down Special—Mini-Toy: Pauline holds up a capsule with a ? Mark on it. From there, she can cycle through a selection of Mini Toys that act like Bowser Jr.’s Mechakoopas. They don’t explode upon contact with a foe, but they can be attacked and defeated. The available toys are:

Mini-Mario: Walks forward at the same speed as Young Link's walk. Deals 5% if touched.
Mini-Luigi: Walks forward at the same speed as Mini-Mario, but will jump occasionally. Also deals 5% and makes opponents trip if they touch it.
Mini-Peach: Walks forward at the same speed as Lucario's walk. Deals 6%, launching the foe up with a parasol.
Mini-Donkey Kong: The slowest toy, but also the strongest. Deals 12%, attacking with a double-armed swing if touched.
Mini-Toad: The quickest toy, but also the weakest. Deals 4%, attacking with a spin.

Each of the Mini-Toys has a set amount of health, and only 2 can be onscreen at a time. Mario and Luigi both have 15 HP, Peach has 20 HP, DK has 25 HP, and Toad has 10 HP.

Final Smash—New Donk City Concert: A microphone appears in front of Pauline. In a flash, she summons the Super Mario Players to play that hit song, “Jump Up, Super Star!” It’s such a toe-tapping beat, that opponents will be forced to dance (taunt) along, even if they respawn! They won’t be able to recover, either, so go wild! If someone is right next to Pauline when this Final Smash is activated, they'll be launched upwards for 30% with strong knockback by the appearance of the band!

Entrance: A curtain is parted, revealing Pauline, facing away from the camera. She then turns around and removes her hat with a flourish.

Boxing Ring Title: The Showstopping Mayor of New Donk City

Idle Pose 1: Pauline will briefly pull her hat over her eyes and trace her finger and thumb along the brim, her eyes gleaming from underneath.
Idle Pose 2: Pauline briefly poses with arms akimbo and looks slightly upward.

Taunts

Taunt 1: Pauline spins around and points to the sky with one arm. “Whoo!
Taunt 2: Pauline takes off her hat and spins it on her finger.
Taunt 3: Pauline takes out a New Donk City regional coin and flips it, catching it in her hand As with her Neutral Special, there is a 1/6 chance that a Bonneter's eyes will peek from her cap and wink at the camera.

Victory Poses

Victory Pose 1: The Super Mario Players appear behind Pauline as a Multi Moon floats down from above. Pauline catches it, it swirls around her and she poses with her hand in the air, the Multi Moon floating just above it.
Victory Pose 2: Pauline appears standing in front of a microphone, covering her face with her hat. She takes it off with a flourish and sings along to her own victory theme.
Victory Pose 3: Pauline shimmies in place, then points at the camera with a wink. She then does that thing during the “Odyssey, ya see” part of the song.

Lose/No Contest: Toad claps politely for the winner.

Victory Theme: A rearrangement of "A Traditional Festival Ends!" from Super Mario Odyssey that transitions into a loop of the "Odyssey, ya see" refrain of "Jump Up, Super Star!"

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
That’s a cool moveset! I love that you incorporated the MvsDK series into her moves. If I could mod I would use your moveset. 💖

It's real! However, they seem shy about revealing details for the bonus content for now.

It would’ve been great if they added her, I have a feeling the Bowser dlc is going to make him or jr playable. The direct was so good omg.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That’s a cool moveset! I love that you incorporated the MvsDK series into her moves. If I could mod I would use your moveset. 💖

It would’ve been great if they added her, I have a feeling the Bowser dlc is going to make him or jr playable. The direct was so good omg.
So far, it seems to point towards the campaign consisting of extra-hard levels. Otherwise, the logo wouldn't be so spiky...

I wouldn't mind if she ends up being a reward for clearing it, though.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Thank you! I'll probably post some visuals for the moveset in the coming days!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another spirit event, and this time it's about girls with long hair.

Not the best way to feature Pauline, but fair enough.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai gave Mario Oddysey's Anniversary a shout out!

And so did Nintendo's twitter!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Recently I found out that the 40th or so anniversary of the DK arcade game is next year, and I've been brainstorming a lot what kind of stuff we could see from Nintendo to celebrate It.

And I managed to come up with a decent amount of possible ideas, and I really wanted to share them to see how people would find them:

This year we got a special Game & Watch for the Mario series which featured SMB1, SMB2 and the minigame ball alongside a cool integrated clock with tons of neat little details.

I've been thinking about It and I feel a new Game & Watch of this style based on the Donkey Kong arcade trilogy and their original Game & Watch demakes would be quite neat.

It would of course include the three arcade titles Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong 3 plus their Game & Watch counterparts.

The internal clock would also be themed about the three arcade games, and would feature a series of Easter eggs based on them, the Mario vs Donkey Kong series and even Mario Odyssey (for example Pauline singing an 8-bit version of Jump Up Superstar or the time in the clock being changed by Mario using the Hammer on the changing number).

A detail many people tend to forget is that Mario vs Donkey Kong started out as a sort of sequel to the Gameboy remake of the Donkey Kong arcade Game. And one of the selling points for Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 was the return of Pauline to Mario games in general after a long abscense.

I feel Nintendo could make a new Mario vs Donkey Kong title for the anniversary as they aren't as hard to make as a mainline Game, and could even feature a slightly more expanded Story Mode making use of the memory of the Switch.

This one is quite likely seeing that they did something similar with the Super Mario Kart event.

They would basically add characters from the arcade titles such as Stanley the Bugman similarly to how they added DK Junior, while also giving variants for Mario and Pauline based on their original sprites.

We could possibly also get a new track, either based on New Donk City or with elements from the arcade titles.

This one is quite self-explanatory.

Basically updating Animal Crossing New Horizons to add new items for decoration and clothing all inspired on the DK arcade.

Ok, so that's all the ideas I came up with so far.

Will see if I can come up with more ideas to comment over here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Recently I found out that the 40th or so anniversary of the DK arcade game is next year, and I've been brainstorming a lot what kind of stuff we could see from Nintendo to celebrate It.

And I managed to come up with a decent amount of possible ideas, and I really wanted to share them to see how people would find them:

This year we got a special Game & Watch for the Mario series which featured SMB1, SMB2 and the minigame ball alongside a cool integrated clock with tons of neat little details.

I've been thinking about It and I feel a new Game & Watch of this style based on the Donkey Kong arcade trilogy and their original Game & Watch demakes would be quite neat.

It would of course include the three arcade titles Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong 3 plus their Game & Watch counterparts.

The internal clock would also be themed about the three arcade games, and would feature a series of Easter eggs based on them, the Mario vs Donkey Kong series and even Mario Odyssey (for example Pauline singing an 8-bit version of Jump Up Superstar or the time in the clock being changed by Mario using the Hammer on the changing number).

A detail many people tend to forget is that Mario vs Donkey Kong started out as a sort of sequel to the Gameboy remake of the Donkey Kong arcade Game. And one of the selling points for Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 was the return of Pauline to Mario games in general after a long abscense.

I feel Nintendo could make a new Mario vs Donkey Kong title for the anniversary as they aren't as hard to make as a mainline Game, and could even feature a slightly more expanded Story Mode making use of the memory of the Switch.

This one is quite likely seeing that they did something similar with the Super Mario Kart event.

They would basically add characters from the arcade titles such as Stanley the Bugman similarly to how they added DK Junior, while also giving variants for Mario and Pauline based on their original sprites.

We could possibly also get a new track, either based on New Donk City or with elements from the arcade titles.

This one is quite self-explanatory.

Basically updating Animal Crossing New Horizons to add new items for decoration and clothing all inspired on the DK arcade.

Ok, so that's all the ideas I came up with so far.

Will see if I can come up with more ideas to comment over here.
How about a new DKC title as well? Lord knows it's been a good while since we saw a new one, and Retro have their hands tied with Prime 4.

D

Deleted member

How about a new DKC title as well? Lord knows it's been a good while since we saw a new one, and Retro have their hands tied with Prime 4.
I would be in for a new DKC Game.

But idk which studio could make It from all the ones which Nintendo tends to call in for their games.

The closest I could think of is maybe Next Level Games, but idk if they would be able to bring out something at the same level as the Retro titles.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would be in for a new DKC Game.

But idk which studio could make It from all the ones which Nintendo tends to call in for their games.

The closest I could think of is maybe Next Level Games, but idk if they would be able to bring out something at the same level as the Retro titles.
I wouldn't doubt them too much, seeing what wonders they did for their latest Luigi's Mansion title. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

D

Deleted member

What are the chances of us seeing Pauline, or any Odyssey content, in 3D World + Bowser's Fury?
I'd say that It will depend on how long Bowser's Fury content lasts.

As a Port of a Wii U game with extra content, It is quite plausible that the budget given would limit one side of the possible content we would get.

I'd say that if Bowser's Fury ends Up lasting as long as one of the Spider-Man PS4 or Mario+Rabbids expansions we could get some bits of Odyssey content (Pauline as a playable character and one level themed with New Donk stuff). However, if It lasts as long as a Three Houses or Xenoblade 2 expansion I wouldn't expect any new content beyond Bowser's Fury as that would probably be where most resources went.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, about that...

I guess we'll get a trickle of content news until the game releases.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I would’ve loved to see Pauline in 3D world but sadly they didn’t add any new characters other than Bowser Jr and the kitties. I wish they had gone all out and add like 4-5 new playable characters.

Also just love how well received the new Pauline costume was with the Mario Kart Tour fanbase. Plus her look is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I hope she gets to Star in more games in 2021. 😉

92E845FC-883D-45E3-96B5-A178EC85E29B.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would’ve loved to see Pauline in 3D world but sadly they didn’t add any new characters other than Bowser Jr and the kitties. I wish they had gone all out and add like 4-5 new playable characters.

Also just love how well received the new Pauline costume was with the Mario Kart Tour fanbase. Plus her look is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I hope she gets to Star in more games in 2021. 😉

View attachment 302054
Damn, that new costume looks really good!

Is It part of the next Tour?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
She shouldnt be in Smash bros Special

Does this mean i hate her no but We have so many Mario Characters in Smash and Toad should have a higher Priority

Also neither Kirby nor Zelda got a new Rep in 4 and Special (and zelda technicly only got the replacement Toon link)
They would deserve 2 New Reps each but i would be fine with only BWD and Impa

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Gonzarez is a very talented artist, love that Mario Kart started to include costumes. Hopefully they keep it from here on.

I think it would be neat if Smash did the same for more characters. Btw

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone 💕

Top Bottom