• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayor of New Donk City: Pauline for Smash Switch!

D

Deleted member

The new Brain Training has Jump Up Super Star hidden in the game:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
2B2579EC-26A0-48F8-8AB4-EAFE502AB58D.jpeg
Reminder that today is the last day Pauline's (Party Time) spotlight pipe is available in Mario Kart Tour, you may be able to get her later, but your chances will be lower.

This game is tempting me to spend money :(

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Not super sure how I feel about Pauline as a playable character, but if she were to make it, would she have the Mario or DK series icon?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I stopped playing Mario Kart Tour. It's got to many problems and relies too much on Luck.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Years everyone! ❤ May 2020 bring lots of happiness to you all.

A34698BE-C2F7-485E-8EAA-079785211F5B.png

Not super sure how I feel about Pauline as a playable character, but if she were to make it, would she have the Mario or DK series icon?
I think Mario because that’s where she gained her popularity and prominence as of late.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guess who got to appear in this year's Nintendo recruitment pamphlet?

She's come such a long way.

Happy New Years everyone! ❤ May 2020 bring lots of happiness to you all.

I think Mario because that’s where she gained her popularity and prominence as of late.
Also, because they're starting to run out of major characters for the "one Mario fighter per game" quota.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I love that they’re including her in their 2D arts now.
I think they’re slowly bringing back the obscure characters that played major roles to Mario games.

Daisy was amongst the first and look at her now, a total superstar. Then was the Koopalings, and now Pauline. I predict King Wart will be next.

D

Deleted member

I think they’re slowly bringing back the obscure characters that played major roles to Mario games.

Daisy was amongst the first and look at her now, a total superstar. Then was the Koopalings, and now Pauline. I predict King Wart will be next.
Really hoping that this does means we’ll see many of these characters added in more spin offs.

Mario Tennis Aces was a great start for Pauline, but sadly Mario Kart Tour doesn’t feel like a real great presence for any Mario character due to how bad I find the game.

Hopefully Nintendo does add her in better games such as the next Mario Kart/Mario Party titles or maybe even resurrections of old Mario spin offs such as Strikers.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I like tour though but I’d prefer her to be in a higher quality Mario Kart. I wish they’d make a Mario Kart 9 for the switch. It could be a double dash 2 to make it different from MK8D.

I’m looking forward to more Pauline in Mario Kart, that’s my favorite spin off lol. For Mario Party she could either be a (troll) host or playable, I’m fine either way. It’s weird they haven’t made a new baseball or strikers though.

D

Deleted member

I feel positive about a new Strikers based on how Next Level Games have gotten a lot of success recently thanks to Luigi’s Mansion 3, which would easily make Nintendo call them for more projects in the future.

There’s also the alledged easter egg in that game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One theory I've recently seen for the reluctance to use Mario characters that aren't in the main entries (or even characters from related spin-offs) is supposedly due to not wanting to pay the rights of their original creators, just to use them. Which is particularly odd in Waluigi's case...

One solution to not wanting to step on anyone's toes would simply be to acquire all of them like Activision did for the Crash Bandicoot characters, but it's probably harder than it sounds with the way the Japanese environment operates in regards to IPs.

At least Koizumi is more open about bringing back older characters these days.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I’d love it! I think the roster will include so many new additions because the last game was before Rosalina’s entrance to the Mario series. It would be so hype to see the Strikers series return.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
One theory I've recently seen for the reluctance to use Mario characters that aren't in the main entries (or even characters from related spin-offs) is supposedly due to not wanting to pay the rights of their original creators, just to use them. Which is particularly odd in Waluigi's case...

One solution to not wanting to step on anyone's toes would simply be to acquire all of them like Activision did for the Crash Bandicoot characters, but it's probably harder than it sounds with the way the Japanese environment operates in regards to IPs.

At least Koizumi is more open about bringing back older characters these days.
You think this might be why we haven't seen the likes of Mona, Ashley, Jimmy T., or any Wario character in a Mario game?

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Maybe but then again they added Isabelle, the Inklings, and other crossover characters to Mario spin offs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe but then again they added Isabelle, the Inklings, and other crossover characters to Mario spin offs.
That's probably a different case, seeing as those are generally well-known characters (from first-party devs, no less) that they're okay with using, so there's less hesitation there.

Mario-related stuff? Maximum comfort zone, it gets particularly bad with the MK department, which is apparently convinced fans are okay with a million :ultmario: and :ultpeach: clones, especially now that they don't need to resort to guests to pad out a roster.

At the rate this is going we won't see very creative Mario spin-off rosters until after people like Ko Takeuchi aren't around anymore. It's bad when the recent Mario Party roster is better than what Tour and :ultdoc: World have :drsad:

Hell, one main reason we even got to see Pauline branch out at all is due to Nintendo Software Technology's Mario Vs. DK series dying out completely, when that was the only set of games she was used in before this point. As good as Koizumi is at times, he's not entirely exempted from this kind of habit either, since the only :ultdk: he directed so far brought back DK and absolutely no one else.

Even HAL withheld from bringing back any noteworthy Kirby characters beyond the fab four until Kumazaki finally did something about it for Star Allies.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I find it confusing that the Mario fanbase attacks people that request unique characters. They make it seem like they are nobodies, but then they’re ok with hordes of Mario and Peach clones like you said.

It’s one of the things I like about Smash bros, even obscure characters have a chance.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

I'm glad Pauline is getting more attention, and I hope Wart makes his big comeback too. But you know who I really miss? Donkey Kong Jr.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Pauline is getting more attention, and I hope Wart makes his big comeback too. But you know who I really miss? Donkey Kong Jr.
I still think Stanley and DK jr would’ve been cool if they were part of her band. I know that her and DK jr have interacted before. If they pulled off a double dash for the next Mario kart I think they could team up.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who thinks Pauline's spirit battle seems a little sad? It's almost like she doesn't want to be rescued because she misses the good old days when Mario and Cranky Kong were still around. I still haven't gotten her spirit which makes me sad because I really like her.

Even if Mario stories aren't super deep I still like Pauline in Odyssey. It felt like she had become more independent since we last saw her. She now has her own Jazz band and has become the mayor thanks to her own efforts unlike the other Mario girls who rely on their royal status.

It's nice that she can still be friends with Mario even though they broke up. I like the positive message that just because things don't always turn out the way the you originally hoped, it doesn't mean that your life is over. Breaking up with somebody can be a tough experience but it can also make you stronger.

I would love to see Pauline as playable character. If not in Smash maybe she could still be a playable character in Super Mario 3D World if it ever gets a Switch port. Or maybe she could even get her own game like Super Princess Peach!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Emily Rogers recently said 3D World is coming to Switch, didn't she? If so, there's a chance they'll add Pauline. But if they add just one new character, it'll probably be Yoshi.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I think Pauline, Toadette, Yoshi, and Daisy stand a good chance of being added to a 3D world port. Especially Toadette because she seems more prominent in platformers lately. Although if they want to cash in on that Odyssey train I can totally see Pauline appearing somehow.

I can’t help but wonder if Pauline stands a chance at Smash dlc now.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
I just found an old cartoon on Youtube featuring Donkey Kong and Pauline working together. It is cute that she tries to see the good in him even if he is kind of stupid and naive.

If there was ever a storymode again like in Brawl it would be cute to see Pauline and Donkey Kong work together.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's a move set for her.

Special: Throws her hat cappy style, it spins in place for a moment before returning back to her.

Forward Special: a small dash attack where she's swinging a hammer classic Donkey Kong style.

Down Special: sets down a Mini Mario (common), Mini Donkey Kong (rare), or 8-bit Snap Trap from Donkey Kong Jr. (super rare) that walks around a little before exploding

... can't think foa really good up special. Some kind of tennis leap? Putting her arms out as if to say "Look at me!" and spinning around? Not sure.

Final Smash: New Donk City Celebration: Fire works go off in the background while she jams with her band and a giant (possibly neon) animatranig Donkey Kong throws barrels at everybody)

Taunts:

Taunt 1: looks around nervosuly
Taunt 2: Blows a kiss with a little heart appearing
Taunt 3: her little Oddyssey skip jump dance

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think Pauline, Toadette, Yoshi, and Daisy stand a good chance of being added to a 3D world port. Especially Toadette because she seems more prominent in platformers lately.
But SM3DW is different from NSMBU in that each character plays differently, and Toadette would probably be too similar to Toad. The reason I think Yoshi is most likely is that people found a dummied-out character icon of him in the game's files.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
But SM3DW is different from NSMBU in that each character plays differently, and Toadette would probably be too similar to Toad. The reason I think Yoshi is most likely is that people found a dummied-out character icon of him in the game's files.
Yoshi makes sense, I just hope they add Pauline. I wonder what else they have in store for her. I feel robbed that they didn’t give her an amiibo. Perhaps in the near future.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Popping in as since I'm a big Cranky Kong supporter for Smash, it makes sense that Pauline be included as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Good eye, I looked it up and it's based off this image from Yes Precure 5
View attachment 265513
Ah-ha! I knew it was Yes! Precure 5, but I wasn't sure if it was the original or the GoGo! sequel season. Wait, it IS GoGo, right? I'm pretty sure that season had quite a bit to do with flowers (or I think it was roses, specifically...).

By the way, I've been meaning to ask (and please forgive me if this is asking pretty late)... Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 , are you the one who's been drawing all of this International Women's Day pics featuring Nintendo's ladies? This isn't the only one I've come across on SB.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Probably not. Which may be for the best, seeing how the Mario Kart and Dr. Mario divisions treat roster selection...
What? Are you trying to say you don't want a fighting game where you can control Mario, Metal mario, Dr. Mario, Baby Mario, Racoon Mario, Dr. Metal Baby Racoon Mario, and Pink Gold Peach?

Top Bottom