• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mayor of New Donk City: Pauline for Smash Switch!

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I would be very happy, she is my most wanted character for smash. Although I think she might have better chance the Next Smash if there is one.

I’ve noticed that after her revival with Odyssey her stardom started growing. Support groups started popping up for her and she’s become highly requested for spin offs.

For Aces she was the most well liked dlc newcomer. She’s also had other minor appearances like in Captain Toad, Tetris, Smash. Now for Mario Kart she was very well received. Who knows what the future holds.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Following the announcement that she'll be playable in Mario Kart Tour, I've seen so many claim that Pauline's pretty much getting 'the Rosalina treatment' now (where Nintendo will supposedly shove her in anything and everything for the next 8-10 years, making her more and more of an outright mainstay at that point).

And personally? I don't have any problem with that. Heck, I've even seen people claim that Pauline in Smash Bros. is near-inevitable at this point.
It's what I've been expecting all along, really. The only thing that really gets in her way at this point is a background cameo that's not always guaranteed to trigger anyways.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not a huge surprise that Pauline is getting the Rosalina treatment. Human characters are extremely rare for the Mario series, so whenever one suddenly takes off, Nintendo is quick to cash in on that and make that character a mainstay.

After a game like Odyssey, I don't think she'll be fading away any time soon.

(Edit: Also, I managed to dig this up, if anyone wants it.
Webp.net-resizeimage-1.png
)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is that her icon from Mario Kart tour? She’s so hard to unlock.
No. It's just a fanmade stock icon for people who want to support her. It got lost last year when Smashboards erased a majority of the icons in the Character Icon Thread after the images went down. I managed to recover Pauline's, so I thought I'd share it.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Pauline`s chances are only getting higher and higher that she is now in Mario Kart Tour. Ever since her appearance in Odyssey she was already bound to be playable in Smash. I can only imagine what the future holds for her now.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
It seems like they’re pushing for a quartet for the human females in Mario sort of mirroring the human male cast. I’d like Pauline and Waluigi to join Smash.

Although the Mario roster is quite large.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It seems like they’re pushing for a quartet for the human females in Mario sort of mirroring the human male cast. I’d like Pauline and Waluigi to join Smash.

Although the Mario roster is quite large.
Honestly, Mario and Pokemon are two franchises that should be able to get away with adding one or two unique newcomers in each game. Both are extremely iconic to Nintendo, and both are obviously very popular.

Number of characters aside, Pauline still has an uphill battle, and I won't oversell her chances. She's got some serious competition.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I don’t think Waluigi is a threat at all, however, Toadette has been pushed a lot by Nintendo lately, so Toad and Toadette could get in before Pauline, i hope that doesn't happen.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don’t think Waluigi is a threat at all, however, Toadette has been pushed a lot by Nintendo lately, so Toad and Toadette could get in before Pauline, i hope that doesn't happen.
Why not both? Mario characters tend to come in multiples and as you say both have been getting BIG promotional moments from Nintendo of recent.

I do like Waluigi as well, but a Toad/Toadette and Pauline combo would be a sweet sight to behold bringing every major "Super Mario" cast member(bar Nabbit) into a playable role.

Pauline's actually pretty cool too, whilst I'm obviously far more on the Toad train, I really can't wait to see Pauline remain a more staple character of the Mario series. Put me down as a supporter.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
It’s true Toadette has been promoted a lot lately. Some people consider Paper Mario too.

D

Deleted member

I feel that Pauline does also have the push of Odyssey’s success, which in the case of Galaxy could have helped Rosalina’s chances one way or another.

If we keep seeing Pauline in most Mario games, with her fan-popularity still growing and alongside a possible Odyssey sequel; things will easily be in our side.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I think Pauline will be a regular now because she was really well received in Tennis and Mario Kart Tour. If I recall correctly she was one of the most requested Mario kart newcomers.

I’m not sure if there will be an Odyssey 2 but i’d Love to see her again. I think a DK 94 (the gameboy one) remake would be perfect! They did it with Link’s Awakening. So I think it could be a hit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only issue is that the classic!Donkey Kong/Mario Vs. DK series has pretty much died off, ever since Nintendo Software Technology went to greener pastures. Pax Softnica stopped existing since the early 00s, too.

I think they may settle with Pauline being a spin-off regular for the time being. But here's a thought...

What if she and Daisy showed up as bonus characters for a Switch port of Super Mario 3D World?

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Omg that would be incredible!

By the way I know the Mario vs DK series died off, and tbh it probably worked for Pauline’s benefit. However does DK 94 count as one of those games? It wasn’t developed by NST afaik. If it does count it’s a shame because that’s my favorite of them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the first Mario Vs. DK was a spiritual successor to 94, so close enough (and I did bring up Pax Softnica, who made that game). My point still stands otherwise tho.

In any case, we're lucky that daredevil Koizumi decided to use her as soon as MvDK bowed out.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I notice that when people talk about potential Mario newcomers they don’t mention her often. I even see characters like Captain Syrup talked about more.

It’s pretty odd because it sort of reminds me of Rosalina’s situation back then. People would talk about Jr, Paper Mario, Toad, Waluigi but hardly acknowledge her.

The same happened to Daisy, people considered the same suspects before her. I wonder if Pauline can jump up ahead of the competition too.

D

Deleted member

I notice that when people talk about potential Mario newcomers they don’t mention her often. I even see characters like Captain Syrup talked about more.

It’s pretty odd because it sort of reminds me of Rosalina’s situation back then. People would talk about Jr, Paper Mario, Toad, Waluigi but hardly acknowledge her.

The same happened to Daisy, people considered the same suspects before her. I wonder if Pauline can jump up ahead of the competition too.
I have a good feeling she can, yeah!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still need to buy Mario Tennis Aces, ngl.
Same. And a Switch, for that matter, but at least I got Crafted World, finally.

It is possible.

In her case, prior to Odyssey, she was in the ballpark of "impossible classic DK characters", like Junior and Stanley, so it's no surprise that she hasn't been seen as a possibility. And with her BG appearance in the New Donk stage, she's underestimated still, since some people don't believe that BG characters can get promoted in the same game (yet do so for ATs, so go figure).

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason why she’s not considered very much (along with other characters) is because most of the characters people talk about are either 3rd party or had their base build during the previous smash games. I still believe she’s a real contender, a dark horse in the competition.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
What about her line “I’m a 1-up girl!” As a taunt? I love that you incorporated all of her arcade items into her moveset. She has a very lady like flair, I love it!

D

Deleted member

A mod at Papagenos’ server gifted me Mario Tennis Aces as a birthday gift.

It is awesome to play as Pauline on the game!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I support Pauline, heck even though I have yet to play Super Mario Odyessy. I know enough about Pauline and was happy she got a bigger role doing something other than being a damsel in distress that it would be pretty cool to see her as a Smash fighter. Getting into Smash worked for Daisy and it can work for Pauline as well. ;)

D

Deleted member

Pauline ranked 1st on Gamexplain’s list of most wanted female Smash characters!

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Pauline made it to first I can’t believe it! I’m glad they listed her, she’s overlooked by the smash fan base but she definitely deserves to be on that list. ❤

I’m happy and grateful that gamexplain put her on their list.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to Pauline making it as #1 in the video i`m glad they included her on the list.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to Pauline making it as #1 in the video i`m glad they included her on the list.
As am I, although people got upset she placed high. I don’t mind different opinions, but I disagree with some that said she didn’t belong.

She is very important to both Mario and DK history, especially because DK arcade is a legacy game.

Even though Peach replaced her as Mario’s love interest Pauline always had her own place in the series. Like whenever they gave nods to DK arcade she would at least cameo. If the mvsDK games had been higher quality I’m sure she’d be on the radar sooner, but Odyssey practically put her there.

Top Bottom