• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario vs Everyone Else Q&A Thread

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Okay, so I got a question for my own thread.

When I was in doubles, I was paired against a Luigi player that pretty much beat the snot out of me on the ground. It's pretty obvious he beats our ground game. However, we never entered aerial combat.

So, question is, what should I do to contest Luigi in the air?
Luigi doesn't really have that much better of a ground game but he does have a longer Ftilt and a better Dtilt plus his traction lets him use a variety of manuvering tricks. Luigi also has better reach in the air and more power, not priority, but he's much slower in terms of horizontial movement. Also, have you ever tried the FLUDD on Luigi? The FLUDD works very well on him because of his low traction and horizontal air movement.

bobson

Smash Lord
Metaknight: A tornado is coming your way, for the sixth time in a row. What's the best way to punish it?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Alright, thanks Judy. You too Matt.

But ah, FLUDD isn't very effective on the Tornado from what I did. The tornado just eats it up and goes on with it's demolishing.

What I do however (besides a well-spaced cape or Up-B OOS), is do a full-jumped fireball that'll go over Metaknight's tornado and either him hit directly or stop the tornado.

EDIT: We still need a good answer for Olimar by the way.

Matt07

Smash Master
Against Olimar not really much to say, I really, really love to use d-air against him, and I like to use a grounded Cape, use Fireballs, and due to me being an aerial Mario, I do get shield-grabbed quite a bit, I'd take hippie's advice over mine though, he has way Olimar experience no doubt.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi doesn't really have that much better of a ground game but he does have a longer Ftilt and a better Dtilt plus his traction lets him use a variety of manuvering tricks. Luigi also has better reach in the air and more power, not priority, but he's much slower in terms of horizontial movement. Also, have you ever tried the FLUDD on Luigi? The FLUDD works very well on him because of his low traction and horizontal air movement.
I think both have pretty much a fair equal ground game. But through tests i'm sure mario users have done (I think I know Matador or A2, did the tests), that Marios smashs outrange Luigi's and almost near same kill power as Luigi's. Mario's ftilt has IASA frames ( I prefer that rather than some slowass ftilt of luigi's lol.).

when your fighting luigi, you have to pretend like your doing a ditto but in a different kind of style, like when your throwing utilts at him, you'll obvious predict a Nair off luigi so you can jsut shield that.

Oh and I believe the fludd (FIHL), should hit Luigi's Nair I think? It stays out pretty long so yeah lol.. I'm not sure someone should test. But yes, always keep fludd charged. It hurts luigi's and his traction.

Matt07

Smash Master
So Mario's dtilt=Luigi's ftilt? :laugh:.

I agree with Hippiedude, he knows his Mario brothers.

Regarding the Pit match-up umm well let's just say he jumps all over the place and attacks, so I can't hit him, his stupid retreating aerials, umm I hate his fsmash, I hate how you get hit by it twice, and it's so fast. Umm his over B he uses it at really ackward times and I gain about 10% damage, oh and he does his f-air to edgeguard, f-air,f-air,f-air it's so fast and powerful no point in recovering, I use the Cape it still hits me because of his hitboxes I can't touch him at ALL, all of his aerials seem to beat me and it's beginning to frusterate me, how can you guys be so good against Pit, I suck against him!

Yea...Pit is a pain, and I like writing the exact details so you guys can understand what I'm having trouble with :laugh:.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Regarding the Pit match-up umm well let's just say he jumps all over the place and attacks, so I can't hit him, his stupid retreating aerials, umm I hate his fsmash, I hate how you get hit by it twice, and it's so fast. Umm his over B he uses it at really ackward times and I gain about 10% damage, oh and he does his f-air to edgeguard, f-air,f-air,f-air it's so fast and powerful no point in recovering, I use the Cape it still hits me because of his hitboxes I can't touch him at ALL, all of his aerials seem to beat me and it's beginning to frusterate me, how can you guys be so good against Pit, I suck against him!

Yea...Pit is a pain, and I like writing the exact details so you guys can understand what I'm having trouble with :laugh:.
Have you tried FLUDD? I'm pretty sure Pit's aerials are affected by FIHL.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So the question is basically... how do I not suck against Pit? :laugh:

EDIT: Wow Judy, you're a real FLUDD fanatic aren't you?

Matt07

Smash Master
So the question is basically... how do I not suck against Pit? :laugh:

Yes basically :). He's so owning me, at least I can hit Metaknight's :).

Hmm I will try FLUUD and see how it does next time I fight a Pit, thanks Judge.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I think Pits nair and dair is affected by it not sure. The only thing I can tell ya, is not get pissed when getting spammed by arrows ^o^ I threw down my controller cause i kept getting arrowed spammed lmao.

Matt07

Smash Master
I think Pits nair and dair is affected by it not sure. The only thing I can tell ya, is not get pissed when getting spammed by arrows ^o^ I threw down my controller cause i kept getting arrowed spammed lmao.
Lmao, He doesn't Arrow Spam me, he's just so evasive, and hard to hit, and I get punished everytime. Last time I threw my controller I knocked the Wii down, and I threw it again about a week later, and it fell down, stupid wire controllers, but I think I learnt my lesson.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
All of Pit's aerials are affected by FIHL.

No, but it seems like everyone forgets to use it >_>

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
lol.

Monk just owned that question, seriously.

Although I will say that while thinking about it, you can FLUDD as well to screw up his "Perfect Camping".

Dory

Smash Journeyman
olimar is just a gay match up anyways >.>
i really dont like it =(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I agree. It's just too weird for me. Whenever someone chooses Mario I counterpick with Ike. =/

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
When it's intended to increase your chances of winning, it's pretty much a counterpick.

This case is a Soft CP.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
When it's intended to increase your chances of winning, it's pretty much a counterpick.

This case is a Soft CP.
Yah, but I'd much rather go for an advantageous CP rather than just a neutral one...then again, that's just me.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'd rather use a character I'm highly skilled with.

I never really listened to the adv/disadv stuff. Doesn't hold much water.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, why swap characters when Mario won't get the full tournament points? Gotta go pure Mario, he's just too good. And I'd be kinda mad if I had to knock a Mario out of the tournament, there so few and far in tournaments, well at least I think so.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Okay, so, if you read my post in the tourney thread, you'd notice that I said that I had to CP Game and Watch because the FIHL tactic no longer worked on him.

So, here's my question: How do you generally fight against G&W's defensive capabilities? It's nearly impossible for Mario to get past any of his moves without taking tons of damage. There is no openings whatsoever when I fight him.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Okay, so, if you read my post in the tourney thread, you'd notice that I said that I had to CP Game and Watch because the FIHL tactic no longer worked on him.

So, here's my question: How do you generally fight against G&W's defensive capabilities? It's nearly impossible for Mario to get past any of his moves without taking tons of damage. There is no openings whatsoever when I fight him.
Nair, it comes out faster than any of G&W's aerials. Also, Mario's jab is faster than anything G&W has on the ground. G&W can also be easily pressured toward the ledge on the ground by the FLUDD. Fireballs work well against G&W if you use them without being too predictable, also G&W's bucket has enough lag to get a Dsmash on him. Playing defensively works well against G&W most of the time but if you feel forced to approach just carefully use fireballs and Nairs. You can also sort of approach G&W with the FLUDD but it requires good spacing to avoid getting hit out of it. And if all else fails use your Up B.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How d'you return back to the stage from the ledge? I've been having a bit of trouble with this lately.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, me too, a lot of trouble. People will usually say Fireballs to disrupt there edgeguarding, using the Cape at the appropriate time, just enough rise to miss an attack, or reverse them.

But still against certain characters, I may take 50% damage before returning to the ledge.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
DI effectively, hopefully upwards. Save your second jump and fireball for anti-edgeguarding. Use FLUDD to push away your opponent. I don't bother using Cape when returning most of the time unless it's easily telegraphed. Air dodge effectively as well.

If you find yourself in a bind (as in, you're about to get mauled) and you're close to the ledge, use Up-B and abuse that amazing hitbox we got. It'll be enough to get you back and is also a good thing to use against Marths and Metaknights.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How d'you return back to the stage from the ledge? I've been having a bit of trouble with this lately.
I mean when hanging on the ledge. The best choice for me has usually been to just tap X and go from there, but when I become too predictable, I need another option.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ah right.

Yeah. Mario barely has any ledge options. A few ways is to break off from the ledge and DJ back onto the stage with a fireball. If your opponent is very close, you can break off and do a U-air and you'll be above the stage while hitting your opponent. You can also follow up that U-air with an Up-B.

That's all we have basically. You'll have to mix it up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't roll....
I barely ever roll. When I DO roll, it's when I've become too predictable and I know that HE knows that.
I've been currently trying to mix it up by ledgescarring with Mario's upB. Aside from that I needs options XD

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sadly Mario's ledge options suck besides what I said and cape stalling. It's one of his major weakpoints. It's why I always prefer to make it back to the stage when it's possible.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sadly Mario's ledge options suck besides what I said and cape stalling. It's one of his major weakpoints. It's why I always prefer to make it back to the stage when it's possible.
I see, probably because of his laggy Fair. I really wish they gave him his 64 one back...or some variation of it. I like the meteor as much as the next guy, but it'd be cool to have a reliable forward air. At least in Melee the lag wasn't a big deal.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah... the F-air in 64 was pretty awesome, but I kinda like the spike (even though it's super laggy and pretty much useless for practical use)... honestly I'd be just fine with it if it had a faster startup. The power of it doesn't really matter much.

Btw, I wish this thread was sticky'd.

Top Bottom