• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Make Your Challenger Approaching Screen Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I can't really make one, but I thought of something. What if Mr.G&W would literally jump outta the challenger approaching box since he's already black, it could be a nice cut scene to watch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thanks for the fonts' names, as they look really good.

Not intended. :p

Anyway, here's another picture... this one is a VS. screen, actually. It really differs from the usual "Challenger approaching!" screen, by having an intro similar to Classic Mode intros, with the opponent on a silhouette. The announcer could yell "Challenger approaching!" instead of "Versus... <Opponent's name>!"

That is the best one so far I always wanted to see your current character vs challenger

And aaa yes the challenger approaching screen another famous thing about super smash brothers

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Here's mine I just whipped up. Tried to keep it simple. Turned out decent I think.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice

I went with the colors from the WiiU logo (kinda how Melee took purple for it's Challenger Approaching screen) for this one. I think a light colored challenger approaching would be interesting to see considering the previous screens have had dark colors.

So fire up dat Paint, Photoshop, Gimp or whatever you like and make your Challenger Approaching screen!
Really lovely, I actually would like to have this in the new game

farvin111

Smash Journeyman

I have been inspired by you guys and decided to flex my own artistic muscles!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So this is very poorly made but it's the middle of the night and I'm tired.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I might as well copy and paste an actual picture since I am in no way, shape, or form artistic.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I like the one in post #48.

Also, thank you for pointing that out, the smash nerd. If you had not said that, I would have.

I like the one in post #84.

Also, thank you for pointing that out, the smash nerd. If you had not said that, I would have.

Edit: This double post was not intended. It didn't load up properly when I submitted my post originally.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
I like the one in post #48.

I like the one in post #84.

Edit: This double post was not intended. It didn't load up properly when I submitted my post originally.
omg 2in1

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I will fail if I attempt to make one of these haha so I'll just admire everyone else's. I really like a lot of them. :cool:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681

I have been inspired by you guys and decided to flex my own artistic muscles!
This has to be the best one so far. I can tell you worked really hard to do this.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I really like how much lighter this one is. It makes it seem much more exciting than mysterious....and I like that feeling.
Hehehe yh i feel that.

What if how the screen looked reflected the char?

Like GDorf looked like Majoras Mask screen on the GC.

All gloomy dark magic and da.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Photoshopping Powers to the Rescue. And college level experience to assist! YEAH!

Here are all the photoshop layers.

If anyone can guess what video game character this is 50 imaginary dollars I will give to you. May have gotten carried with decorations...The decorations on the image might be too distracting...
Oh well... Enjoy!

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
Here is one i made...

I lurk here but thisis the first time ive posted.. had another account way back before Brawl came out.. forgot the pass

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So, I've been thinking. It's not necessarily a secret who the character is when these challenger appears! screens show up. Most of the time you'll straight up know the character from the silhouette even if you didn't know about them being in the game in the first place. So why not do something fun with it and make these screens reflective of the character? Maybe have a little animation? Perhaps like in SSE when you grabbed Toon Link, Jiggs & Wolf and they had a little cutscene. But doesn't have to be like that. Could be more referential to the source material. Here's a couple I threw together using this idea:

For Paper Mario:

This is the next chapter screen from the N64 Paper Mario game. Got his silhouette, the text in the original font and everything..

For Kamek:

This one would start out with Yoshi's Island graphics, then maybe Kamek does a flip on his broom, covering himself with the magic that he sprayed the bosses from Yoshi's Island with which turns him all 3D and it then goes into the battle.

I don't know, just a couple of ideas I had. There's a lot more possibilities.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
This one's going to look horrible, but it's what I had for an idea.

The white text would constantly slide around the screen, and you could change your character by cycling through using the analog stick (I just put 3 characters on here to show you can change it) and then finally pressing A to start the battle. I took inspiration from the VS. Screen and the Wii U-centric screens, and I decided to include the stage you would battle them on, which adds a little touch to it. I also degraded the graphics of the playable characters to add some nice detail. Mega Man is all white to contradict the blue dialogue boxes and the Wily Castle, and the warning sign will blink in unison with the scrolling text. Also, maybe if you waited long enough Totaka's Song?​

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
ok I have made one but it did not turn out right (just got gimp and hardly know how to use it) but I am still happy with it

the words are supposed to scroll sideways each one going in a different direction

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Dude it's like orange juice has a belly button bro it's amazing

im kinda drunk so i could regret saying that but it's cool bro i dig it

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Semi off topic: What happened if you actually lost the "challanger approaching" -match in all the games released so far? Would it just reappear after next game you played, untill you beat it and unlocked the character?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Semi off topic: What happened if you actually lost the "challanger approaching" -match in all the games released so far? Would it just reappear after next game you played, untill you beat it and unlocked the character?
You'd have to meet the requirements again before being able to rechallenge the character. Say you just did 100-Man Melee and lost to Falco, you'd have to do 100-Man Melee again. If you encountered a character via a certain number of matches played, the character would just reappear after the next match.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You'd have to meet the requirements again before being able to rechallenge the character. Say you just did 100-Man Melee and lost to Falco, you'd have to do 100-Man Melee again. If you encountered a character via a certain number of matches played, the character would just reappear after the next match.
Bingo and thats mechanic has ben here since 64

And is not going anyway on ssb4 despite luigi and toon link being revealed

TheLostAquarius

Smash Rookie
Looks very good. I like the futuristic theme of the screen as well as its simplicity.

I have made two more:

Simplistic in design with the character's silhouette being shown on the white part.
The "CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" captions are made with the concept of scrolling from right to left in mind.

This one has a Wii U theme, as you can see from the faint U logo in the background and the light blue text. The silhouette is white with the Smash Bros. symbol in the background.

Which of them do you like most?
You know, I kinda like the 3DS version of the "Challenger Approaching!" screen. It somewhat put you in a position, that made it feel like something's really happening, the hues of dark purple, green and blue... Accompanied with the sirens, it appeared as someone were to say: "This. Is. It." It had the lights of a crime scene, and the sirens moving me there too. Sooner or later, I'll try to create a recreation of the lovely "Challenger Approaching!" screen. To be honest, the lighting (when you're in a dark room, playing the 3DS version) is quite cool with all the lights off. Really puts on a show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom