• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Alright, I need some suggestions. I want a character that I can main in both Smash 4 and Melee. I enjoy spacing-type characters and aggressive, combo-based characters. I played a bit of Marth in Melee (never was good though) and he isn't too great in Sm4sh. I played Jiggs, same deal + brutal learning curve. Lately I've been playing Fox; I enjoy him in both games, but I'm a bit worried about his viability in Sm4sh. There's also Shiek; I'm a huge Zelda fan and Shiek is great in both games, but I never see Melee tourney wins with her and as much as I love Zelda characters, I'm not too passionate about this one.

Winning is important to me, but I want a character I won't get bored of playing with and who's skills are relatively transferable between games. Thanks!

just6822

Smash Rookie
Which character(s) have the most damaging / varied combo game? I've looked into most of the cast for guaranteed setups and whatnot, but would like some input from people that know more than I do. Please and thank you~

Last edited:

Honest

Banned via Warnings
Alright, I need some suggestions. I want a character that I can main in both Smash 4 and Melee. I enjoy spacing-type characters and aggressive, combo-based characters. I played a bit of Marth in Melee (never was good though) and he isn't too great in Sm4sh. I played Jiggs, same deal + brutal learning curve. Lately I've been playing Fox; I enjoy him in both games, but I'm a bit worried about his viability in Sm4sh. There's also Shiek; I'm a huge Zelda fan and Shiek is great in both games, but I never see Melee tourney wins with her and as much as I love Zelda characters, I'm not too passionate about this one.

Winning is important to me, but I want a character I won't get bored of playing with and who's skills are relatively transferable between games. Thanks!
If you enjoy combos and don't think Sheik is good enough in Melee then Fox is probably your best bet. Fox has some great combos in both games and is probably top 10 atleast in Sm4sh. Captain Falcon would be my second suggestion, he is good in both games and has some pretty snazzy combos.

Which character(s) have the most damaging / varied combo game? I've looked into most of the cast for guaranteed setups and whatnot, but would like some input from people that know more than I do. Please and thank you~
I would highly recommend Sheik. She has excellent combos that don't have to be the same thing over and over again. Her customs give her amazing setups into a sweet spotted up smash, and overall her mobility and fast moves make her a good choice in pretty much every matchup.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Alright, to elaborate on my previous posts, Im not able to find another character that I like as much as Shulk. I can play other characters, but I cant get myself to practice them enough to be competent with them. I'm not sure what to do when I want another character to play aside from my main but can't find the another character to sink some time learning.

Honest

Banned via Warnings
Alright, to elaborate on my previous posts, Im not able to find another character that I like as much as Shulk. I can play other characters, but I cant get myself to practice them enough to be competent with them. I'm not sure what to do when I want another character to play aside from my main but can't find the another character to sink some time learning.
Well, not being able to find a character you enjoy as much as your main is rather normal. There is a reason you picked him as your main and not another character. As for trying to find secondaries I would suggest just not playing Shulk for a bit and finding the character you enjoy the most that isn't him. Or, you could just figure out who Shulk has a bad matchup against and get characters who cover his weaknesses so that you only need to not play him when you have a bad matchup.

Dr. Slam

Smash Cadet
I already main Link, but I'd like to find a second main so that I don't get sick of him. I've figured out how to aim the trajectory of Link's bow and bombs to get the desired effects, and I found that kinda fun. What are some characters that take time to learn their gameplay/have a high skill ceiling?

Thanks!

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^Dont be fooled by the whiners who think she's easy modo, Sheik IMO is by far the hardest character to play as at a high level of play. one mistake can lead to an absolutely devastating amount of missed opportunities and do to her inability to kill until very high percents(and even then all her ko moves require a hard read) and not being the heaviest character around either you absolutely have to be on point with sheik at all times since when you're trading you're always losing. Peach has a lot of technical shenanigans so she may be what you're looking for too.

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
hey guys I have been getting in the competitive scene and have been a part for about 2 months. while I go around playing many characters I concluded that I needed to stick to 1 or perhaps 2 characters. however after testing all of the characters there seems to be none that match my playstyle. while some characters I use are more effective than others there is not a particular character that I feel 100% confident with that I can do well. I already know all of the stuff that is needed but now I have to work on character specific training. however since I cannot pick a character I cannot start to train.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am not a noob at the game so please do not offer the advice of learning basic controls or "get gud lol". thanks!

just6822

Smash Rookie
I'm not much of a smash player, but your question is a general fighting game question, so maybe I can help.

If "none" of the characters suit your playstyle, that means you either don't understand the engine or you're simply looking to play in a way that doesn't fit the game. As a player you have the ability to practice learn and adapt; my advice would be to pick a character that you like and learn the engine instead of worrying about "your style". That part comes after.

Sorry if that sounds offensive, I'm not insulting you. Good luck~

edit: "Character you like" doesn't mean in terms of gameplay. Maybe you like Shulk's silly quips or a specific Sonic color, anything that draws you to a character by visual design or for any other reason.

Last edited:

Honest

Banned via Warnings
hey guys I have been getting in the competitive scene and have been a part for about 2 months. while I go around playing many characters I concluded that I needed to stick to 1 or perhaps 2 characters. however after testing all of the characters there seems to be none that match my playstyle. while some characters I use are more effective than others there is not a particular character that I feel 100% confident with that I can do well. I already know all of the stuff that is needed but now I have to work on character specific training. however since I cannot pick a character I cannot start to train.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am not a noob at the game so please do not offer the advice of learning basic controls or "get gud lol". thanks!
I had the same problem when I tried to find a main after Squirtle didn't get in. It was very hard because at first, nobody was like Squirtle and I wanted another Squirtle. But, the point of this is that I eventually played different characters until I found Bowser Jr. I had played him before but for some reason it just sparked and I fell it love.

This strategy might work for you as well. Try just selecting random characters and take note of who you enjoy and who you don't, then eventually you will find someone. Good luck, this process isn't easy and it will be frustrating!

Dr. Slam

Smash Cadet
I had the same problem when I tried to find a main after Squirtle didn't get in. It was very hard because at first, nobody was like Squirtle and I wanted another Squirtle. But, the point of this is that I eventually played different characters until I found Bowser Jr. I had played him before but for some reason it just sparked and I fell it love.

This strategy might work for you as well. Try just selecting random characters and take note of who you enjoy and who you don't, then eventually you will find someone. Good luck, this process isn't easy and it will be frustrating!
^This. I myself have been playing a few matches with each character, just going down the list and trying to get a feel for each one.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Alright, I need some suggestions. I want a character that I can main in both Smash 4 and Melee. I enjoy spacing-type characters and aggressive, combo-based characters.

I played a bit of Marth in Melee (never was good though) and he isn't too great in Sm4sh. I played Jiggs, same deal + brutal learning curve. Lately I've been playing Fox; I enjoy him in both games, but I'm a bit worried about his viability in Sm4sh. There's also Shiek; I'm a huge Zelda fan and Shiek is great in both games, but I never see Melee tourney wins with her and as much as I love Zelda characters, I'm not too passionate about this one.

Speaking as someone who attends and participates in both Melee and Smash4 tournaments, they're both different games. Characters from one game to another don't stay the same for the most part.

I can't for the life of me play Fox in Melee, not just because of the amount of grinding and practice you need before becoming proficient with him (which is time I don't have), but also because my hands hurt a lot after playing him due to the amount of inputs I need to be pressing: this isn't a problem for some people, but it is for me since I have bad wrists due to an injury I suffered years ago which I'll never fully recover from. I do enjoy playing Fox in this game because he doesn't require me to strain my hand while still being a very solid character. Hopefully this answers your doubts: Fox is indeed a very good character in this game. He is fast, his neutral game is good, he has many movement options, and can capitalize on a mistake very well.

Sheik is top tier in Melee and is considered top tier in Smash4 as well, so you can't go wrong with her either. Peach is my main in Melee, but I play Sheik as a secondary in Melee because the Peach vs Marth MU makes me want to pull my hair out. She is very solid in this game as well, though her moves are slightly different: for example, F-air is a combo move in this game but is a KO move in Melee. Even minute things such as getting needles is different.

Overall, if you choose to go with either Fox or Sheik for both games, you'll be fine. But it's not a bad thing if you have different mains from one game to another, so don't be afraid of being open to trying different mains for each game: the way you play them is very different, after all.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641

If you're looking for a characters that transfer between Melee and Wii U your options are very limited as Daveman Cozy pointed out, but thankfully my story is very similar and that's how I came to my most consistent 3ds/Wii U main which is Peach.

Long story short, Peach has been my goto character in video games since Mario Kart 64 and Melee was no exception. Played casual for years but after getting into the competitive scene I appreciated her even more because her wavedash was very short, which meant I didn't have to rely on the metagame-dominating technique like so many other characters.

Stepped out of competitive smash for a while but came back for Sm4sh, and after watching Mew2King's Peach game on Youtube I was able to transfer a lot of his techniques over to my 3ds game, especially emphasizing the fair and other aerials. Armada not so much because you can't really "dashdance" in the new games. The only caveat is she can seem a bit slow if you're used to playing with faster characters so there is that to consider.

I haven't really researched anybody else but other options may be Puff, Sheik, or even Link (Link has a trend of being bad on the odd numbered games and good on the even numbered ones so there's that). Also, I'd definitely keep my eye out when Mewtwo comes out because despite the physics being different it doesn't look like he's changed too much.

Edit: Also I should have noted that I play a generally more aggressive Peach than most in both games, since you said you liked that :)

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I need some help choosing a character. I am used to 64 smash so id like to play a fast-ish character that uses lots of aerials including short hop aerials. Also if they can combo easily that'd be good too. Any suggestions?

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Oh jeez.. 64.. that's.. going to be quite the adjustment since smash 4 isn't anywhere near as combo-based as 64.You can combo for days with sheik, i guess. but keep in mind that it will rarely ever lead to a kill and you'll have to repeat the process a ton of times.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Hey guys I need some help choosing a character. I am used to 64 smash so id like to play a fast-ish character that uses lots of aerials including short hop aerials. Also if they can combo easily that'd be good too. Any suggestions?
:4bowserjr: CAN be fast if you Jump Cancel out of Side B often enough. He practically lives in the air, due to disjointed aerials that come out fast, have great range, and allow for quite the amount of juggles, especially his FAir, NAir, and UAir. Just to give you a taste of the juggles he is capable of, here's a few to get you hype:

At 0%, Side B --> JC --> DAir --> Shorthop FAir --> Jab string [juggle ends here] or DTilt (juggle may end here, unless the 3rd hit misses, in which case you can go for another SH FAir --> anything) or UTilt x? --> UAir x?)
At 50-ish%, Side B --> JC --> UAir x2
At 75-ish%, Side B --> JC --> UAir --> Up B --> A (Hammer)
At 100-ish%, see above, but omit the UAir.

At 70-ish% or so, you can carry people from the edge of the stage, ALL the way to the blast zone, with just shorthop FAirs.

He's also blessed with Cannonballs and especially Mechakoopas to help cover his approaches. Even when you're at 100-ish%, he's pretty heavy (:4charizard: heavy, in fact!), and his recovery's awesome (2 jumps, a Side B JC, then Up B), so he'll be around for quite a while.

If you're looking for more movement speed that's not tied to a Side B, as well as more cover fire to go along with your aerial raids, perhaps :4duckhunt:? Upclose, at low%, shot-up Clay --> SH FAir x2. Also at low%, UTilt x2-3 --> UAir.
You can practically forward shorthop towards folks with your entire arsenal of Cans, Gunmen, and even Clays out 'n about, especially Cans.
Said arsenal can also help you "get in" on folks that normally have walls of projectiles to wade through, like :4samus:, :4tlink:, and :4megaman:.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Hiya there, I've just recently came into a very strange intersection that I haven't been able to figure out. I guess I found the right place.

I've normally been fine with picking my main since I've arrived on the Smash scene with the release of Smash Bros 3ds. I decided at first to pick up :4zss: as I mained her in Brawl so it was easy to pick up. But as time went by, I found myself enjoyed the newcomer :rosalina:. I really enjoyed her playstyle and long story short, I got very good with her. I still pocketed ZZS, but for any more serious play, I used Rosaluma.

But then there was a strange other that I picked up which I was very good at. :4charizard: A very unorthodox character, but one I've proven to show an excessive amount of skill with. But now, it got to the point where I'm able to perform pretty much equally as well, but for different reasons.

For example, during the neutral, I can get about 50% fairly quickly on a character with :rosalina: on a typical player by playing a game of combos and aerial juggles. With :4charizard: I can yield about the same damage on that player but by utilizing stage control and edgeguarding tactics. But the thing that changes is an overhaul of my play-style which I can easily switch.

But the question is, who should I classify as 'the main?' I'm simply finding it difficult who I should practice more with during friendly spars and which character that I've been wanting to use more often. I've also never been to a tournament which I would love to when my life situation gets a bit better. But let's say if I enter a tournament for the first time, I don't know anybody and I have to pick a character for my first opponent. Who would I choose at this point when picking a character for the first match of the set? It just feels so, confusing for me if you can understand. Maybe I'm just thinking a little too hard and there's advantage of having practically the same performance level with two characters that I just can't think of.

PS: This is solely based on my experience with these two characters and my performance level playing as them. I'm not here to argue metagame or tierlists, if I wanted to do that, I'd go to another thread.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Hiya there, I've just recently came into a very strange intersection that I haven't been able to figure out. I guess I found the right place.

I've normally been fine with picking my main since I've arrived on the Smash scene with the release of Smash Bros 3ds. I decided at first to pick up :4zss: as I mained her in Brawl so it was easy to pick up. But as time went by, I found myself enjoyed the newcomer :rosalina:. I really enjoyed her playstyle and long story short, I got very good with her. I still pocketed ZZS, but for any more serious play, I used Rosaluma.

But then there was a strange other that I picked up which I was very good at. :4charizard: A very unorthodox character, but one I've proven to show an excessive amount of skill with. But now, it got to the point where I'm able to perform pretty much equally as well, but for different reasons.

For example, during the neutral, I can get about 50% fairly quickly on a character with :rosalina: on a typical player by playing a game of combos and aerial juggles. With :4charizard: I can yield about the same damage on that player but by utilizing stage control and edgeguarding tactics. But the thing that changes is an overhaul of my play-style which I can easily switch.

But the question is, who should I classify as 'the main?' I'm simply finding it difficult who I should practice more with during friendly spars and which character that I've been wanting to use more often. I've also never been to a tournament which I would love to when my life situation gets a bit better. But let's say if I enter a tournament for the first time, I don't know anybody and I have to pick a character for my first opponent. Who would I choose at this point when picking a character for the first match of the set? It just feels so, confusing for me if you can understand. Maybe I'm just thinking a little too hard and there's advantage of having practically the same performance level with two characters that I just can't think of.

PS: This is solely based on my experience with these two characters and my performance level playing as them. I'm not here to argue metagame or tierlists, if I wanted to do that, I'd go to another thread.
Pick however you're feeling like playing. Having two mains is fine, and consider yourself to have two.

Or you could just pick who has the better matchup, and change accordingly. That way you basically have them both as a main AND secondary, all in one package!

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
What char can zone really well? I need a defensive zoner that uses projectiles to counteract my constant aggressive style with greninja. Basically, hot and cold/ yin and yang type of thing.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Rosalina has an excellent midrange zoning game. Pac-man is also absolutely fantastic at controlling space with the his fruits and hydrant.(especially with the custom on-fire hydrant)Megaman's an option too.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
If you're just playing on for glory then pick whichever you have the most fun with. however if you are playing with the objective of winning tournaments when you get around to attending them the you should go with Rosalina as she is a big meta threat and can reap massive amounts of reward.

Honest

Banned via Warnings
What char can zone really well? I need a defensive zoner that uses projectiles to counteract my constant aggressive style with greninja. Basically, hot and cold/ yin and yang type of thing.
For good zoning characters, :4olimar:, :rosalina:, :4pikachu: and :4duckhunt:. My personal favorite is Olimar, but competitively I would suggest :4pikachu: or :rosalina:.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Well you'd be looking at top tiers
Every good character has really good aerials and most are fast
Easy bake combos? Yup, top tier
:4sonic::4diddy::4falcon::4sheik::4luigi:
Sonic and Falcon sound like your cup of tea
You might have familiarity with the latter, cause, well :falcon64:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
For good zoning characters, :4olimar:, :rosalina:, :4pikachu: and :4duckhunt:. My personal favorite is Olimar, but competitively I would suggest :4pikachu: or :rosalina:.
you forgot to mention bowser junior as a defensive zoning character. while he isn't the highest tier character when used correctly he can be very efficient.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
hey guys I'm still trying to work on a main except now I don't know who to try due to the potential changes the 1.0.6 has brought. without knowing how the meta stands I cannot make an informed decision. Please help.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
Hello, so I've been playing Smash competitively since the end of 2012, starting with Brawl, and since then I've been aware of the problems that can come out of not maining a top tier character. I picked Olimar ever since watching Nietono in tournament videos, despite barely knowing the character back then, but ever since, I have sticked with him as my definite main in Brawl and I found myself adopting a likeness to characters that not many people use and unconventional characters in general. I also picked Jigglypuff out of admiration for Hungrybox in Melee and found out I really enjoyed playing Puff, even in Brawl, even though she was probably the worse character in the game. When Sm4sh came out I immediately went out to try Olimar, my old main, but was kind of disappointed with his major nerfs, so I opted for Duck Hunt, who was a perfect fit for me, a heavy-zoning, camping-based player. I placed all my hopes in him, since he was considered top tier early in the days, and I really liked his quirky design and unconventional style; however, he was quickly dropped down a couple of tiers because of his laggy aerials, extremely unreliable smashes and a steep learning curve. Nonetheless, I sticked with him. I also picked Jigglypuff just as some sort of "gate guardian" at the start, just to switch to DH once my Puff was beaten, I enjoyed playing with her a lot, especially since she was considerably buffed from Brawl and was made much more viable; however, she's still, in my opinion and a lot of Puff mains or secondaries as well, an unreliable and gimmicky character.
Just when the nerfs to Rosalina and Sheik were made, and Diddy rose up to the top of the tier list, I was seriously considering taking him, as tons of players did, but I decided that it was way cooler to be loyal to your characters and win with the characters you like, even if they are very tough to use well and not as good as top tiers, so I stayed maining DH and Jiggly, adding Olimar later since Dabuz demonstrated he was still viable and I already had tons of experience with him from the Brawl days. I have 3 mains (actually only DH and Olimar when playing serious matches, unless I think a matchup is favorable for Puff) that are not very well placed in the tier list, that are much harder to use effectively than, say, Diddy or Rosalina, and that, when facing top tier characters, I'm forced to practically outsmart them in order to win. I have fared quite well in my local competitive scene, rising up to top 3 in my state ( a place that is kind of inexistent in Mexico's national scene at first, although it's slowly but surely rising to fame) and becoming known because of not using conventional and popular characters, like Diddy and Falcon, and even placing 3rd in a regional using only Jigglypuff, a character that was deemed "the worst" and "very bad" by almost every player here prior to the tournament. After that, I have consitently placed in top 3 at regionals with Olimar and DH, and I'm kind of proud of many local players starting to use Jigglypuff, Olimar and DH because of me.
All of that aside, I have recently been sponsored by a local gaming brand, altogether with the other top players in my state in order to create a competitive team that represents my region in national and other major tournaments, so I've had the urge to step up my game, especially since my training partners (the other top players in my region) have become considerably better and now I feel that I'm the weakest link in the team. They all use top or high tier characters, like Falcon, Diddy, Luigi, Mario and Fox and I'm torn between staying with my 3 mains to the bitter end or finally opting for a top tier that may help me become better. I've tried Rosalina, who is a heavy zoning character, just like Olimar, that kind of suits my style, but for some reason I just can't feel comfortable playing with her, and I SD a lot when trying to recover. In the other hand, I feel very inspired to start using Sheik, but she's quite a change in playstyle from my gimmicky/campy/zoning-based characters. I don't really know which top tier would be the best suited for my style and also be one I enjoy playing with. Also, I feel that attempting to try and learn a new character from the very beginning at this point kind of represents a disadvantage in comparison to other top players that have used top tier characters since the start and are now quite familiar with them.
So, in summary, should I stick with my mid-tier mains and just try to rough it out against top tiers, or start anew and take a top tier character in order to stay competitive?
TL;DR: My mains are not that good, and I can't decide between being character-loyal and take the loses or switching to a top tier, and in that case, which top tier I should switch to.

Last edited:

Nightowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YiffyWolfen
hey guys I'm still trying to work on a main except now I don't know who to try due to the potential changes the 1.0.6 has brought. without knowing how the meta stands I cannot make an informed decision. Please help.
It's all about the waiting game right now. Just go with whatever's been working for you. You might be surprised to so a little extra damage here and there.

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
A recommend secondary for Ness? I was thinking about Mewtwo or Marth.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Someone mentioned awhile ago when I played him that I was good with Pit in a match. I've never really main Pit and this player is so ****ing good, I was trying to play different characters. So far, Marth, Fox, and Lucario has pretty much been using since Melee/Brawl and much to my surprise, I seem to be enjoying Pit, Yoshi, Toon Link, and Zamus along with Lucina (no brainer here). Makes me wonder if I should pick up Pit alongside the other charcters more

SILENTWALL

Smash Rookie
Attention: If you haven't updated to 1.0.6, please backup your 1.0.2 update file (Wii U). Probably it will help you to compare the different between these two versions in the future. Same as 3DS version. Thanks.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Maining Mewtwo seems to be a difficult thing to do for a lot people. However, I've managed to find great success with him. <3 Don't be so quick to give up on the guy, people! :3

epic11

Smash Cadet
NNID
achrafrises
3DS FC
4613-7611-5770
Here is some general advice for all the people who are looking for a main!!
I played the 3ds version for about a month untill i thought of maining Ness, see you shouldn't play too much with one character and then drop him after a few days. I just recommend everyone to play with all the characters for a while (at least a month) and then pick a main.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I'm currently maining Yoshi, alongside Mii Brawler and Charizard. But, in terms of matchups, is there anyone else in particular that would make my life easier against certain members of the cast?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Maining Mewtwo seems to be a difficult thing to do for a lot people. However, I've managed to find great success with him. <3 Don't be so quick to give up on the guy, people! :3
That makes 2 of us

I can definatly main mewtwo

And plus

Seriously you have got to give a few more days before you can assume hes not that good

Hes mid/low tier this tine. Not low/lowest tier

Oh a unrelated character thing for everyone

If your having trouble finding custom specials and trophies you don't own yet.

Good news theY spawn more often now.

Last edited:

sadejester

Smash Rookie
I like characters with very strong normalsets who can control the pace of the match. Frequently my main characters are zoners, but not always. I tried Samus but it's too hard to get kills with her. Fox is nice, too, but I find him to be a little on the slipery side. How is Greninja in this game?

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Hello! I am looking for a secondary to Shulk, generally to cover bad mater bad matchups and play a slightly different playstyle, I have a very hard time against the likes of Fox and Shiek, so I want a character that's balanced and can handle rushdown alright! thank you to anyone who replies!

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Hello! I am looking for a secondary to Shulk, generally to cover bad mater bad matchups and play a slightly different playstyle, I have a very hard time against the likes of Fox and Shiek, so I want a character that's balanced and can handle rushdown alright! thank you to anyone who replies!
I've heard from the boards that Olimar and Mario are great choices for Shulk.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I'm already pretty familiar with Olimar so I'll definitely give him a try! Thank you alot c:

Jaycen_Thunda

Smash Rookie
Hi all, glad I found this thread, I'm really looking forward to your help as I'm at my wits end lol.

What characters could you reccomend for a player that is coming from a 2D Fighter background?

I'am coming from Street Fighter 4/Mortal Kombat , and I'am trying to get into Smash.
My mains in Street Fighter are Dudley and Zangief.

My main playstyle in Street Fighter is to knock you down and mix you up on wake up. I really hate using projectiles as I never use them correctly, so I kind of rely on my character's presence to be a threat.

So far I'm liking Bowser, Palutena, and Sonic, but I can't seem to translate none of my Street Fighter experience through these characters.

Let me know if you need anything else, like a brief description on what or who Dudley or Zangief are to better narrow possible main choices for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom