• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
I kinda want to return but Pacman didn't work out. Basically I found I wasn't a fan of a lot of his... smaller traits (His grab STILL bugs me, I really don't like his side b, and some of his fruit mechanics come down to being over complicated and therefore being kinda unfun to pull of (I pulled them off alright but it as really boring)) Suprisingly I really enjoyed the simple but effectiveness of Olimar and Duckhunt more, I feel like there very simple tools have a lot of flavor regardless.... but the horrid time getting back on stage for Olimar and Duckhunt's... meh tricks are still kinda weak and ineffective for me.

Anyone have any other ideas of who I should try? (Also I already tried Rob, Rosalina, Paulatena and Wii fit... none of them worked for me either.)

I don't know it is hard for me, I LOVE Olimar and Duckhunt, but its just.... the small things kill it for me.

GreenTheAssassin

Smash Rookie
Hi i kinda just joined smash boards cause i noticed this thread while surfing the web. Ive been playing smash since November in 2014 and ive never been able to stick to a character. I have mucked around with ness, mario and fox but none of them felt right. I like characters who have cool combos and flashy attacks.

Note: i dont have any dlc characters wince i was waiting for them to all come out so i will be getting them all soon.
Extra note: i have played one game of cloud at a friends. He is fun

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I kinda want to return but Pacman didn't work out. Basically I found I wasn't a fan of a lot of his... smaller traits (His grab STILL bugs me, I really don't like his side b, and some of his fruit mechanics come down to being over complicated and therefore being kinda unfun to pull of (I pulled them off alright but it as really boring)) Suprisingly I really enjoyed the simple but effectiveness of Olimar and Duckhunt more, I feel like there very simple tools have a lot of flavor regardless.... but the horrid time getting back on stage for Olimar and Duckhunt's... meh tricks are still kinda weak and ineffective for me.

Anyone have any other ideas of who I should try? (Also I already tried Rob, Rosalina, Paulatena and Wii fit... none of them worked for me either.)

I don't know it is hard for me, I LOVE Olimar and Duckhunt, but its just.... the small things kill it for me.
Perhaps try Toon Link? He has a similar gameplan to Olimar and DH but he has good bomb confirms and an overall good moveset.

Edit: Make sure you learn how to Glide Toss, it makes his bombs much better.

Last edited:

BercilakMK

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing Smash 4 since release and spent a ton of time in training, online, and with friends. I can't even come close to finding a main because all the characters have something that I can't get past. As mentioned earlier, you need to actually like the character you main. The issue I run into is, I either like the character OR I like their playstyle. For example, I love how Mario plays for the most part, but I can't stand him as an actual character, and I really like Mewtwo, but I hate how he plays. I feel like I've tried everybody and I just can't get...comfortable I guess? I love this game, but any ideas how to get past this? I'm thinking about just dropping it entirely.

GreenTheAssassin

Smash Rookie
GreenTheAssassin GreenTheAssassin For flashy combos but none of the characters already mentioned, go with :4bayonetta: or :4mewtwo:.
BercilakMK BercilakMK Well, as your name ends with MK, play :4metaknight:. Or, just go with an in-between for the two you already talked about. That would be... probably :4drmario:. Because why not?
Which sword fighters would you say are flashy/combo like?
Edit: also anyone like cloud? The second i get him i will be maining him or he will be a secondary so maybe someone like him to practice or someone to cover his weaknesses

Last edited:
There's so few swordfighters, when actually counted up. I think :4feroy::4marth::4metaknight: are the most stylish. As much as he seems a good choice, :4cloud: is done to death and kinda boring, plus he doesn't have full combos, only short chains.

Last edited:

BercilakMK

Smash Rookie
GreenTheAssassin GreenTheAssassin For flashy combos but none of the characters already mentioned, go with :4bayonetta: or :4mewtwo:.
BercilakMK BercilakMK Well, as your name ends with MK, play :4metaknight:. Or, just go with an in-between for the two you already talked about. That would be... probably :4drmario:. Because why not?
Thanks for the quick response! I've been playing Link all day today for the first time in a while and I really like how he feels, and don't hate him completely as a character, so I think I'll at least main him at the tourney. Wondering what your thoughts are though, should my secondary be, MK, Doc, or Pit?

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
Perhaps try Toon Link? He has a similar gameplan to Olimar and DH but he has good bomb confirms and an overall good moveset.

Edit: Make sure you learn how to Glide Toss, it makes his bombs much better.
Oddly enough, I find myself thinking very very mildly about sonic. I mean the MAIN thing Olimar and Duckhunt have in common is they are scumbag type characters, and Sonic is basically the king of scumbag type characters since he doesn't even need a projectile to be a complete and utter annoying piece of *Message altered* joy and love that we all enjoy *Message returned*. I don't know though... its just.... his games.... I don't like him as a character if that makes sense but everything points me that way.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't have so much to do with finding a main as it does finding a couple characters to play on the side; I main Jiggs and have no plans of changing that for the foreseeable future.

So currently I have three other characters (one from each game in the series) I enjoy playing occasionally, or in certain match-ups: Peach, Dedede, and Wii Fit Trainer. Besides the fact that I like how much personality all three characters have, I find all the technical stuff with Peach and WFT very appealing, and Dedede provides a nice change of pace.

But here's the thing... It's pretty ridiculous, honestly, but it makes me sad that some characters won't get as much attention as others since some are just plain better. I'm not debating the validity of tier lists or anything, I just think all of the characters are pretty great in their own way and should get some appreciation, and I'm okay with being an underdog, so keep in mind the tier a character is on doesn't matter too much for me (I main Jiggs for crying out loud). If I changed my three side characters, I'd like to switch them for some who need a little more love.
Anyway, thought some of you might have fun with this. I'd like to know which three characters (one Melee veteran, one Brawl veteran, and one new challenger) you think are:
(1) Lowest tier (in your opinion)
(2) Least popular (Edit: To clarify, I meant disliked by the general populous, such as Sonic.)
(3) Least used

Thanks guys. :)

Edit: Just want to add, if you feel the tier thing is too controversial, no need to answer that one!

Last edited:
Lowest tier: Well, Wii Fit and Dedede aren't well-tiered characters, as much as they may have untapped potential.
Least popular: Peach. Not much of an explanation needed.
Least used: Wii Fit Trainer. Probably THE least used character in the game, which contributes to her tier placement.

OOOH, you meant it that way. Ok, edit.
Lowest tiers minus Jiggs: :4zelda: (melee), :4charizard: (brawl), :4palutena: (newcomer)
Least popular and least used are the same thing.
:4drmario: (melee), :4lucario: (brawl), :4wiifit: (newcomer)

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
(1) Lowest tier (in your opinion)
(2) Least popular
(3) Least used
1. :4jigglypuff:, but since you already main her, :4zelda: would be my runner-up vote.
3. :4olimar: is probably the character I've seen the least of.

I'm unsure how to answer 2 because it seems like it would go hand in hand with 3 to me.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Lowest tier: Well, Wii Fit and Dedede aren't well-tiered characters, as much as they may have untapped potential.
Least popular: Peach. Not much of an explanation needed.
Least used: Wii Fit Trainer. Probably THE least used character in the game, which contributes to her tier placement.

OOOH, you meant it that way. Ok, edit.
Lowest tiers minus Jiggs: :4zelda: (melee), :4charizard: (brawl), :4palutena: (newcomer)
Least popular and least used are the same thing.
:4drmario: (melee), :4lucario: (brawl), :4wiifit: (newcomer)
Haha, at first I was laughing because I thought you meant the characters I play already fit the bill! Thanks for the input! :) Oh, and just so you know, for the second question, I meant more like which characters are least liked. For an example, I know Sonic is high on the tier list, and there are a decent amount of people who use him (I think?), but he seems to be disliked in general. Was kind of confusing, sorry about that.
1. :4jigglypuff:, but since you already main her, :4zelda: would be my runner-up vote.
3. :4olimar: is probably the character I've seen the least of.

I'm unsure how to answer 2 because it seems like it would go hand in hand with 3 to me.
Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually considered switching Peach for Zelda; she's pretty fun! About Olimar, it's true I haven't seen him as much myself for a while now... Not to get too off-topic, but is there a particular reason for that, like the Cloud match-up?
Also, see my reply to DJXYZ above as far as the second category goes; sorry for the mix-up!

High Entia

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing Smash 4 since release and spent a ton of time in training, online, and with friends. I can't even come close to finding a main because all the characters have something that I can't get past. As mentioned earlier, you need to actually like the character you main. The issue I run into is, I either like the character OR I like their playstyle. For example, I love how Mario plays for the most part, but I can't stand him as an actual character, and I really like Mewtwo, but I hate how he plays. I feel like I've tried everybody and I just can't get...comfortable I guess? I love this game, but any ideas how to get past this? I'm thinking about just dropping it entirely.
My friend was having this dilemma awhile back and this is what I told him to do to help him get through it:
1. Play a couple matches with every character. Don't just play one match because it's not enough to fully know how much you like the character. If you don't know exactly how a character is supposed to be played, watch some videos online of them being played at a competitive level.
2. After you finish your playing session, rate each character on this scale:
3 - I enjoyed playing this character very much and could definitely see myself preforming well using him/her/it.
2 - I didn't mind playing this character, but it didn't feel completely right.
1 - I didn't like using this character. He/She/It doesn't suit my playstyle well and I can't see myself using them.​
3. Once every character is rated, rule out all of the 1s. You aren't going to be using them if you don't like their playstyle.
4. Look over the 2s. If there was anyone you feel could be a 3, try them out a bit more to be sure of their rating. After you're sure every 2 belongs there, rule them out, too.
5. Play each of the 3s, again. There likely shouldn't be a whole lot, so you probably don't have too many characters to play. Keep playing each character over and over again. If playing them starts to feel like a chore, rule them out. Your goal is to find a character that you love playing so much that you will never get bored of them. This could take a considerably long time but, trust me, it'll all be worth it once you find the character you love.

In addition to this, it sounds like you like playing characters you like both for their playstyles and as actual characters. How about trying out a character's game which you haven't played before? I tried out Shulk way back in November of 2014 and, since I'm a very defensive, spacing, and zoning oriented player, I absolutely loved how he felt. I normally prefer to use characters I like as characters, much like yourself, but I added him to my roster of characters anyways, despite never playing Xenoblade Chronicles. I eventually decided to play the game to learn more about Shulk and now I absolutely love Shulk as a character, too. The very same could happen to you with any character you don't know much about.

Another bit of advice I have is this: DO NOT let public opinion discourage you from choosing a character. You are the person playing the game. You enjoying your character is your biggest priority. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. This is coming from someone who has been playing Rosalina since day 1 and has put up with all of the hate that people give her and her players. Sure, she may not be the most fun character in the world to watch, but I absolutely love playing her. She fits my playstyle amazingly and I love both Super Mario Galaxy and her character. It doesn't matter who you like to play. Play them. Even if your favorite character is someone like Rosalina or Sonic, play them. This is about you. Not about everyone else. If you let the public choose a character for you, then you may very likely not be using the character meant for you and you probably won't enjoy playing the game as much either.

Just remember to never give up looking! There IS a character out there for you. You just have to keep trying and trying and trying. It may take awhile to realize the character you love. However, finding the character for you is worth it! Trust me! Best of luck finding your main!

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
About Olimar, it's true I haven't seen him as much myself for a while now... Not to get too off-topic, but is there a particular reason for that, like the Cloud match-up?
Not too knowledgeable on his matchups, all I know is he does quite well against Rosalina but gets completely stomped by Sheik.

People tend to prefer offensively-oriented characters to defensive ones, and his series isn't as recognizable as Mario, Pokemon, etc., so he just isn't a popular pick in general.

Oh, and just so you know, for the second question, I meant more like which characters are least liked. For an example, I know Sonic is high on the tier list, and there are a decent amount of people who use him (I think?), but he seems to be disliked in general.
Ah, least enjoyable to fight against, then?

:4bayonetta::4sonic::rosalina::4cloud2::4lucario: come to mind.

:4zelda:Melee, :4olimar:Brawl, :4bayonetta:Sm4sh imo

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Olimar is uncommon for a few reasons. He's simply not a popular character in general, but he also has a high learning curve, due to Pikmin management being a big part of his game. On top of that, I guess because of his Brawl incarnation, he is perceived as slightly scummy or lame, but at the same time perceived as much weaker than his Brawl incarnation. Both of those things are more or less true, so he doesn't attract a lot of attention (he's in mid tier, on par with Bowser and Marth in my opinion. Not bad, but not a huge threat by himself. That's just me tho.)

Fortunately we have players like Myran, Angbad, and ImHip repping him strongly. He's a really cool character to watch in high level. When he gets 2 or 3 purple Pikmin, things get really exciting.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
High Entia High Entia
Just wanted to say I really like this; think I'll recommend this method to some friends.

Lavani Lavani
Thank you! I'm definitely giving Zelda serious consideration at the very least as I mentioned before; I have a friend who loves the character, but she doesn't feel like she does the character justice (she's an Ike main), so she's actually been wanting me to make Zelda my secondary.
Olimar would be natural for me since he was my secondary after adjusting to the changes from Brawl; switched him out at some point for Dedede, but I honestly miss playing him sometimes, so I'll give that consideration as well.
I actually really enjoy Rosalina, but am made to feel like I shouldn't. Peer pressure. :|

C0rvus C0rvus
You know, it's funny, Olimar was the first character I felt comfortable with during the transition from Melee to Brawl, and everyone around me didn't know how I could stand it, 'cause they couldn't figure out the whole management thing, and I mean at that time it didn't even matter quite as much since he was generally stronger. I also seemed to be the only one who was really familiar with the Pikmin games... He took some getting used to due to changes from Brawl to Sm4sh, but I feel confident I could switch back to him at any time if Dedede isn't feeling quite right.
I do have a problem with at times feeling like I'm too good with some of the better characters for friends/others I play against to deal with, like I'm taking enjoyment out of the game for them (I'm not saying I'm amazing, but in comparison to those whom I normally play with around here.), and Olimar seemed like one of those characters. With Jiggs being my main, my friends are scared of me, but still feel like they have a shot because of all the disadvantages I constantly have to deal with. But yeah, I'll still consider Olimar, 'cause when it comes down to it, I want people to improve anyway, and I probably shouldn't feel so guilty if they're not putting in the work to overcome what I throw at them... ? :/

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
High Entia High Entia
Just wanted to say I really like this; think I'll recommend this method to some friends.

Lavani Lavani
Thank you! I'm definitely giving Zelda serious consideration at the very least as I mentioned before; I have a friend who loves the character, but she doesn't feel like she does the character justice (she's an Ike main), so she's actually been wanting me to make Zelda my secondary.
Olimar would be natural for me since he was my secondary after adjusting to the changes from Brawl; switched him out at some point for Dedede, but I honestly miss playing him sometimes, so I'll give that consideration as well.
I actually really enjoy Rosalina, but am made to feel like I shouldn't. Peer pressure. :|

C0rvus C0rvus
You know, it's funny, Olimar was the first character I felt comfortable with during the transition from Melee to Brawl, and everyone around me didn't know how I could stand it, 'cause they couldn't figure out the whole management thing, and I mean at that time it didn't even matter quite as much since he was generally stronger. I also seemed to be the only one who was really familiar with the Pikmin games... He took some getting used to due to changes from Brawl to Sm4sh, but I feel confident I could switch back to him at any time if Dedede isn't feeling quite right.
I do have a problem with at times feeling like I'm too good with some of the better characters for friends/others I play against to deal with, like I'm taking enjoyment out of the game for them (I'm not saying I'm amazing, but in comparison to those whom I normally play with around here.), and Olimar seemed like one of those characters. With Jiggs being my main, my friends are scared of me, but still feel like they have a shot because of all the disadvantages I constantly have to deal with. But yeah, I'll still consider Olimar, 'cause when it comes down to it, I want people to improve anyway, and I probably shouldn't feel so guilty if they're not putting in the work to overcome what I throw at them... ? :/
Sounds like you ought to work on your mindset, unless you just play the game among friends. But if you're a competitive player, this sort of thinking will only get in the way. Everyone has to deal with it in varying degrees, myself included. Playing good characters isn't cheap or for tryhards. Always been an issue personally as well.
I agree about Olimar. He was my most hyped newcomer in Brawl, so I got used to him pretty quickly. Plus, Pikmin management is a lot easier in this game. He is harder to succeed with in this game for sure, though. His tools are a lot less overwhelming than they were in Brawl.

RitsuoFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
RitsuoFox
Uhm, hey there!
I need some help with my main char choice (For Sm4sh, that is), I'm pretty new to the competitive side of smash, and still kinda bad too. ...Okay, I'm very bad atm, but that doesn't matter now.
I really need some advice in the question of choosing my main, so I can start practicing in terms of combos, techs, etc.
I played some online matches, and because I'm very shy I usually test characters against Level 9 bots (I know that it's not a very good choice, but I really like challenge myself against their pitch-perfect movements, instead of gimp them with things like rolling) but I good a pretty good idea of the kind of character I like to use.
It seems like I play my best (And also like more) playing with characters that mainly use swords, or straight up fists. I can't deal with more projectile-based characters like Megaman or Samus, for example. (I also can't use Link/Toon Link that well, they specials are basically all projectiles)
Other thing that I noted is that I CAN'T play with slow characters, if you put me to play using a Ganondorf chances are a level 1 CPU can beat me to a pulp (Okay, i'm not THAT bad)
But, in the matter of speed I really like fast / fast paced characters, Like Little Mac, Sonic, Fox and Captain Falcon.
I love playing all the four characters mentioned above, but I also love playing as Falco, Pit/Dark Pit, Marth/Lucina, Shulk and Doc. Mario.
My favorite has to be Little Mac. His control over the ground-fightning and his ground-breaking speed both amaze me. I would like to definetely make him my main. But I feel like playing only on the ground would get repetitive, so I would like to have a sub (Or multiple ones) with good aerial control, or maybe a mix between aerial-ground.
Oh yeah, and one character that fits in the "sword characters" that I think I would like a lot is Cloud, but I don't have any DLC, is it a good idea getting him apart just to test, or even play with him? (Here in Brazil most of the DLC is really expensive, and our banks don't convert our money to dollars anymore, making buying 3DS eshop currency a real pain)
I would love some suggestions between some of the characters that I mentioned, maybe one that's not in there that I could like, that I never used before, maybe even some guides would be really helpful!

If you read everything, thank you! It really means a lot. And sorry, I know that I write alot. x.x

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
C0rvus C0rvus Agreed. I'll work on this; is there anything in particular that helps you redirect this kind of mindset you could recommend?

RitsuoFox RitsuoFox I know you technically didn't mention him, but have you considered Meta Knight? He's very fast on ground with an excellent dash attack that's hard to punish, is a sword user, no projectiles to have to worry about, and he's also great in the air. You don't have to worry so much about fighting off-stage once you get used to his recovery options, either (up special, side special, and down special are all really useful recovery moves). If he doesn't feel quite right to you at first, I would recommend at least giving him a little time as he's quite a bit different from the rest of the roster and he may just suddenly click with you; try to really get a feel for his recovery in training mode if you're willing to give him a shot.
Also, about projectiles/items, I would suggest you practice catching items in mid-air (to start with) in training mode, as it will be useful for you in certain match-ups, like when you're fighting Peach, Diddy Kong, Link, etc.
About being shy, I can totally relate! I don't have too much trouble when I'm playing with people in-person, but for some reason online, I get all shaky! So don't worry, you're not alone. x)

Last edited:

RitsuoFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
RitsuoFox
KniteBlargh KniteBlargh Thanks for the response!
But about Meta Knight, I saw some people playing him in tournaments, and recently I've been using strictly only the Random char (10/10 best main) so I endend up as Meta Knight a few times. One thing is for certain: He really has a different feel from the other characters just like you said, it will take some time to get things going with him, but he seems like a pretty good option. Atm i'm worthless with him xD but maybe I can make something out of him, thanks for the suggestion!
Also, about the projectile situation, I'm not the best, but when not using a strictly "projectile-only" char I can deal with them pretty well. I'm getting the hang of the throwing arcs, grabbing mid-air and things like that, my problem seems to be with the characters that use the projectiles, not the projectiles themselves xD (But against players that know really well what their doing with their projectiles I get insta-rekt, it's sad x.x)
But I have to say, I also feel much better playing people in person. I think, for me at least, that it's mainly because online I never know how the other person is reacting to the game, specially when I get owned online, but when that person is just by my side, with a serious face or just laughing and talking to me, I feel much better. (Still, chances are I'll still be shaking with someone by my side, just not as much as online xD)

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
Hello all! I'm a:4shulk: player looking for another character to pick up and learn. Been playing Shulk for quite some time already, and while I'm certainly not bored of him yet/ anywhere near mastering him yet, I'd like to give the rest of the cast some love.

My playstyle is a fairly defensive/ punish based one, but I really struggle against hyper offense (usually in the form of :4sheik:or :4fox:). Tried out some rushdown/ combo based characters, but aside from :4kirby: and :4cloud:, most of them feel way too fast/ are really hard to for me to control/ combo. My playstyle with Kirby doesn't really involve his lengthy combos, and I've lost quite a bit with him, despite genuinely liking him. Had a bit more success with Cloud, but he honestly feels like a faster, more offensive oriented Shulk.

So with that, I'm a bit unsure as to what my next step should be. I'd like to try a more offensive based playstyle, but I haven't found a character that I can really ease into. Perhaps I should just stick to Kirby and Cloud, but try and use them differently? Or maybe another character would better suit my playstyle/ patch up my weaknesses better?

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I'm facing a bit of a concern right now.

It's been AGES since I last posted here, last time I asked for advice was probably on whether to use :4fox: or :4falcon:.

But anyway, I'm asking for some advice on a character to use as a secondary. Since I'm a VERY dedicated Lucina main. Mained her since the 3DS, and I'm just concerned on which character to sub so I can deal with certain MUs, and that I will enjoy using as well, since I look for fun factor in a character as well.

I've asked for some advice from a member of the Zelda Social via PM. He's recommended either :4myfriends:, :4feroy:, :4pit:/:4darkpit: and "maaaaybe" :4metaknight:. Which one would you recommend?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
As I have said, I'm no longer participating in super-competitive Smash since I don't have the hands to pull off the amount of advanced tech required. But if I ever was to return, I'd need a character that ignores my weaknesses as a player... and I have a lot, so there probably is no answer.
- A fast-traveling, low-lag spacing projectile
- No tether grab
- Aerial movement options to prevent getting juggled
- Isn't extremely fast-paced
- A moveset that prevents autopiloting

Right off the bat I'd be playing Palutena and Mewtwo as co-mains (similar controls), so keep that in mind.
Pit fits the bill. Arrows travel fairly fast uncharged and have low endlag when used from a fullhop, though they're more for longer ranges. He's got a bunch of double jumps and good air control to escape combos. Defensive playstyles probably suits him best, and he doesn't have much of anything that can readily be abused.

I'm facing a bit of a concern right now.

It's been AGES since I last posted here, last time I asked for advice was probably on whether to use :4fox: or :4falcon:.

But anyway, I'm asking for some advice on a character to use as a secondary. Since I'm a VERY dedicated Lucina main. Mained her since the 3DS, and I'm just concerned on which character to sub so I can deal with certain MUs, and that I will enjoy using as well, since I look for fun factor in a character as well.

I've asked for some advice from a member of the Zelda Social via PM. He's recommended either :4myfriends:, :4feroy:, :4pit:/:4darkpit: and "maaaaybe" :4metaknight:. Which one would you recommend?
It depends on what you're looking for. IMHO the Pits are like a 90% upgrade to Lucina, but if you're just looking for a swordsman for a secondary then they'll work nicely. If you're looking for somebody very different but still competent Ike would be the best fit. Roy I don't think would have many matchups over Lucina.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
It depends on what you're looking for. IMHO the Pits are like a 90% upgrade to Lucina, but if you're just looking for a swordsman for a secondary then they'll work nicely. If you're looking for somebody very different but still competent Ike would be the best fit. Roy I don't think would have many matchups over Lucina.
It's kinda like I'm looking for a character to fit my playstyle. I dunno if showing some matches I had would be good enough. Since I've been told I have a "unique" Lucina.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
It's kinda like I'm looking for a character to fit my playstyle. I dunno if showing some matches I had would be good enough. Since I've been told I have a "unique" Lucina.
If you have footage, it may help. Or what matchups would you want to have a secondary for?

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
If you have footage, it may help. Or what matchups would you want to have a secondary for?
Alright. Some of these will be from 1.1.3 though. I'll tag which ones are from which patch. :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ChiFRRbJmE
Vs. :4ness: (1.1.2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuSe-MYnv8
Vs. :4zss: (1.1.3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8We7Jj_cBm8
Vs. :4cloud: (1.1.4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB6tnDMPbE0
Vs. :4samus: (1.1.3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFoumlPziSY
Vs. :4zelda: (1.1.3)

I make some horrendous mistakes in some of these matches.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Hey, I have a question if you guys don't mind. Right now I main :4mewtwo:. Always have ever since his release, and I don't plan on dropping him any time soon. I have so much fun with the character that literally every other character on the cast pales in comparison to him, but I don't want to solo-main him. I've hopped around with secondaries/tertiaries a lot, way too much in fact, but I can't pick a character that I actually like for an extended period of time before dropping them again.

So, my question is if you could maybe give some recommendations on who I could try. I guess you could say my problem is that I look too much into whether or not I find the character fun to me or not, which hinders me since 98% of the higher tiered characters are boring to me. Thank you in advance!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You think you change mains a lot? Welcome to Papa's house.

Anyway, an effective secondary can fit a couple general molds. First is the character you choose in order to cover your main's bad matchups, or ones you don't like. In the case of Mewtwo, some bad (read: disadvantageous or difficult/uncomfortable) matchups I can think of off the top of my head are...
:4metaknight::4sheik::4fox::rosalina::4greninja: give or take.
Now perhaps you struggle particularly hard with Rosalina. Some good secondaries might be :4metaknight:(does better against all of the above), :4cloud:(easy to get started with, gives Rosa hell and is generally a hard MU for a lot of dudes), or :4diddy:(debatably beats Rosa, can compete better with the others as well, I think he's super fun too). This is just an example though. Figure out your biggest struggles and check out some counterpicks if you decide to use this method.

Another method is finding a secondary that plays differently than your main. You may have to get out of your comfort zone here, but that's kind of the point. Learning characters that play the game differently expands your knowledge of the game, as you'll see it through a different lens. Mewtwo is a very footsies oriented, lightweight but tall, anti-zoner, edgeguarder supreme with a kill throw. Not bad. Some very different characters that may be worth exploring would be...
:4falcon:: A bait and punish character who kinda skips neutral and puts foes in the vortex. You will learn the struggle offstage, and he will push your ability to stay out of disadvantage and apply pressure via positioning and baiting, among other things.
:4diddy:: Less range but more mobility, and more centered on clever mixups and item play. I just think he's hella fun lol.
:4fox:: Probably the complete opposite of Mewtwo, his advantage is great, neutral is good, disadvantge is bad. You can dominate players with safe pressure and 50/50 situations, but lose momentum and find yourself heavily punished and/or edgeguarded.
:4ryu:: A bit slower, but when he gets in the combos come out. He's probably got a bit much to remember and be able to execute to be an effective secondary.
:4bayonetta:: Same as above but more or less, but honestly she's a bit easier and a bit better imo. Her footsies are meh, but her combos are devastating and her disadvantage is among the best in the game.

This method can work if your regular shtick isn't working out. You can swap things up and mess up your opponent's ability to download/adapt to your playstyle. This is how I prefer to do things, but you could argue it's less effective.

Anyway, this post got longer than I expected but I hope it helped. If you feel like getting more specific I can try and help you narrow things down. I have experience with a good number of characters.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Pardon the double post, but I owe another user a reply :U
Alright. Some of these will be from 1.1.3 though. I'll tag which ones are from which patch. :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ChiFRRbJmE
Vs. :4ness: (1.1.2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuSe-MYnv8
Vs. :4zss: (1.1.3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8We7Jj_cBm8
Vs. :4cloud: (1.1.4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB6tnDMPbE0
Vs. :4samus: (1.1.3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFoumlPziSY
Vs. :4zelda: (1.1.3)

I make some horrendous mistakes in some of these matches.
I saw that you has some good grasp on stage control in these matches. You seem to like to swing a lot, even when it isn't safe. Sometimes it paid off, too, but in a lot of instances, your thirsty Shield Breakers got you punished. You seem to thrive on opponents fearing the break or simply getting out spaced. I saw some good edgeguards and short hop air dodge approaches.

:4bowser:Perhaps try Bowser to continue the trend of making opponents fear and respect you. He has the ever-present option to go for a shield break, but his power and very strong jab and grab game makes opponents not want you to get close. His edgeguarding is pretty good too. I see on your channel that you have at least played him before, so maybe try him out again.
(:4dk: is a similar option here as well.)

:4bayonetta:She's super good at edgeguarding, Witch Time is a constant fear, and she has some moves you can just throw out whenever. She might be up your alley.

:4mewtwo:Has good buttons and a similar style to the way you play Lucina. Also good offstage and has a plethora of kill options that you may be wanting from your main.

:4corrinf: Another character with strong spacing. She has a projectile, which you may like.

Just a few baseline suggestions. Really it's a trial and error thing, since you can apply your playstyle to any character. Hope this was of some use, though.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Pardon the double post, but I owe another user a reply :U

I saw that you has some good grasp on stage control in these matches. You seem to like to swing a lot, even when it isn't safe. Sometimes it paid off, too, but in a lot of instances, your thirsty Shield Breakers got you punished. You seem to thrive on opponents fearing the break or simply getting out spaced. I saw some good edgeguards and short hop air dodge approaches.

:4bowser:Perhaps try Bowser to continue the trend of making opponents fear and respect you. He has the ever-[resent option to go for a shield break, but his power and very strong jab and grab game makes opponents not want you to get close. His edgeguarding is pretty good too. I see on your channel that you have at least played him before, so maybe try him out again.
(:4dk: is a similar option here as well.)

:4bayonetta:She's super good at edgeguarding, Witch Time is a constant fear, and she has some moves you can just throw out whenever. She might be up your alley.

:4mewtwo:Has good buttons and a similar style to the way you play Lucina. Also good offstage and has a plethora of kill options that you may be wanting from your main.

:4corrinf: Another character with strong spacing. She has a projectile, which you may like.

Just a few baseline suggestions. Really it's a trial and error thing, since you can apply your playstyle to any character. Hope this was of some use, though.
Thank you so much for the feedback. I was surprised that you even looked at my other videos as well!

I will most definitely try out all of these fighters, and who knows. Maybe I'll be making Turtle Soup once again with Bowser. Again, thank you very much. I'll try each character out in some friendlies with some friends of mine or members of the Zelda Social after I've had some practice with each of them. :yeahboi:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Hello all! I'm a:4shulk: player looking for another character to pick up and learn. Been playing Shulk for quite some time already, and while I'm certainly not bored of him yet/ anywhere near mastering him yet, I'd like to give the rest of the cast some love.

My playstyle is a fairly defensive/ punish based one, but I really struggle against hyper offense (usually in the form of :4sheik:or :4fox:). Tried out some rushdown/ combo based characters, but aside from :4kirby: and :4cloud:, most of them feel way too fast/ are really hard to for me to control/ combo. My playstyle with Kirby doesn't really involve his lengthy combos, and I've lost quite a bit with him, despite genuinely liking him. Had a bit more success with Cloud, but he honestly feels like a faster, more offensive oriented Shulk.

So with that, I'm a bit unsure as to what my next step should be. I'd like to try a more offensive based playstyle, but I haven't found a character that I can really ease into. Perhaps I should just stick to Kirby and Cloud, but try and use them differently? Or maybe another character would better suit my playstyle/ patch up my weaknesses better?
If I understand correctly, you'd really like another character who isn't much like Shulk, so maybe not even a sword user? Do you enjoy Kirby? What do you feel you're struggling with the most when it comes to playing him?
Most of the offensive choices are pretty fast (not sure how fast is too fast for you). However, there are a couple decently offensive (swordless) characters who aren't all that fast such as Ness and Villager. Ranai's shown good examples of playing Villager offensively.

Grandma Wilkins

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm a Toon Link main that is having trouble with Rosalina, Game and Watch, and partially Pikachu. I need a secondary that can help me with these matchups. Any thoughts?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Hey I'm a Toon Link main that is having trouble with Rosalina, Game and Watch, and partially Pikachu. I need a secondary that can help me with these matchups. Any thoughts?
:4cloud: beats 2/3. Pikachu is doable with Toon Link. So is Game and Watch, but that's besides the point.
Pikachu is the sort of character you can't really counterpick. He has slight losses to Luigi and Fox, but they aren't enough to really counter a Pika player imo.
:4darkpit:might be worth picking up. Electroshock Arm bodies Luma, which helps a lot. He also is just a generally balanced character, so he could be good that have in your pocket.
:4metaknight:is good against all three, but he's actually pretty hard, and not a super effective secondary in my experience. He s an options though. Just know he's more work than you may be expecting.
:4yoshi:my buddy plays Rosa and hates this character. MU is likely around even, but Yoshi makes lots of players uncomfortable for some reason. I can't say anything about his Pikachu matchup, though. Not a clue. Can't be that bad though.

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
If I understand correctly, you'd really like another character who isn't much like Shulk, so maybe not even a sword user? Do you enjoy Kirby? What do you feel you're struggling with the most when it comes to playing him?
Most of the offensive choices are pretty fast (not sure how fast is too fast for you). However, there are a couple decently offensive (swordless) characters who aren't all that fast such as Ness and Villager. Ranai's shown good examples of playing Villager offensively.
I guess my wording was a tad confusing. I do enjoy Kirby, but again, I can't seem to use him as efficiently as I would like to, nor does he produce the same types of results as with Shulk. My main struggles with playing him was that I tend to have more of an issue approaching with him, and then comboing once my opponent is in the air; the only "combos" that I've really been using are his fThrow to either fair or upB. Since it seems like Kirby is more combo oriented than other characters, I was hoping to find someone to compliment Shulk's defensive playstyle without seeming too foreign, maybe be able to more offensive pressure, if that makes any sense.

As for fast characters, try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to properly control Greninja, Sonic, or Captain Falcon, especially with their aerials (to be fair, I'm also struggling with Shulk's speed monado, but because of his range, it's not as much of an issue. This also applies to Cloud).

I actually like Villager quite a bit, but his playstyle seems a lot more defense oriented? I'll definitely take a look at Ranai. though.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I guess my wording was a tad confusing. I do enjoy Kirby, but again, I can't seem to use him as efficiently as I would like to, nor does he produce the same types of results as with Shulk. My main struggles with playing him was that I tend to have more of an issue approaching with him, and then comboing once my opponent is in the air; the only "combos" that I've really been using are his dThrow to either fair or upB. Since it seems like Kirby is more combo oriented than other characters, I was hoping to find someone to compliment Shulk's defensive playstyle without seeming too foreign, maybe be able to more offensive pressure, if that makes any sense.

As for fast characters, try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to properly control Greninja, Sonic, or Captain Falcon, especially with their aerials (to be fair, I'm also struggling with Shulk's speed monado, but because of his range, it's not as much of an issue. This also applies to Cloud).

I actually like Villager quite a bit, but his playstyle seems a lot more defense oriented? I'll definitely take a look at Ranai. though.
I'd say Cloud is actually more similar to Shulk than Kirby in playstyle, and fits what you're describing better. You may also want to consider Ike since his playstyle can be similar to Shulk's, and while he's not as fast as Cloud, the buffs he's received in various patches have only added to his ability to compliment offensive play.

From what I understand (speaking with Kirby mains), approaching is one of Kirby's main struggles. Kirby's aerials are pretty nice for keeping your opponent from rushing in, while giving you possible opportunities to punish, and dair can connect with some really good stuff like up smash, down smash, and inhale (incidentally, some copy abilities can greatly improve Kirby's ability to approach, so they're important). I'm no expert here, though, so if you really like Kirby, I'd check out his board and see if some of his dedicated players have advice for you! :)

Yeah, the thing about Villager is that he/she can play both ways. There are a lot of moves for walling out an opponent, but they simultaneously help with approaching and leading into great combos.

BlueDaruma888

Smash Cadet
I'd say Cloud is actually more similar to Shulk than Kirby in playstyle, and fits what you're describing better. You may also want to consider Ike since his playstyle can be similar to Shulk's, and while he's not as fast as Cloud, the buffs he's received in various patches have only added to his ability to compliment offensive play.

From what I understand (speaking with Kirby mains), approaching is one of Kirby's main struggles. Kirby's aerials are pretty nice for keeping your opponent from rushing in, while giving you possible opportunities to punish, and dair can connect with some really good stuff like up smash, down smash, and inhale (incidentally, some copy abilities can greatly improve Kirby's ability to approach, so they're important). I'm no expert here, though, so if you really like Kirby, I'd check out his board and see if some of his dedicated players have advice for you! :)

Yeah, the thing about Villager is that he/she can play both ways. There are a lot of moves for walling out an opponent, but they simultaneously help with approaching and leading into great combos.
So I checked out Ranai upon your suggestion (specifically the match vs. ZeRo @ Genesis) and holy crap I've been absolutely astounded as to what he can do. I will most likely be keeping Kirby because I really love the little guy, and out of the strange, personal reason of already having two sword characters in the form of Shulk/ Cloud, I'll put Ike on the back-burner. But I think I'm willing to give Villager a shot!

Only thing I'm concerned about Villager at the moment is Fox; the guy already gives Shulk trouble, and I imagine his reflector can ruin Villager's day. But I guess that's something to bring to the players on the boards.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom