• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
Hey guys, i main VIllager and doing well as him though i need a secondary that's good against these matchups since i have trouble with them:
Mega Man, Cloud, Mario, Fox and pretty much any matchup Villager struggles in.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I think Villager vs Mario is worth learning, and Mega Man is an even MU, just an odd one. Cloud I can't comment on properly, but against Fox it usually boils down to hitting your edge guards and shielding smartly. That said, a backup character to help deal with these guys might be good to have.
Maybe try :rosalina:. She's spacing oriented, everyone hates playing against her and few know the matchup. She does well against Fox and Mario. Mega Man is again close to even, but maybe her tools will make it easier for you to deal with him. Not sure about how Cloud/Rosa goes, but it can't be that bad.
Also consider someone like :4falcon:. If your regular game plan isn't working, having a backup character that plays very differently can be helpful. He may not have advantages, but he offers a different set of tools to play the opponent with. Really any rushdown or brawler character could work here as well.

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
Ah, thanks. i'll pick up Rosa as a secondary and see how she'll do. (Might get some tips from a really good Rosa in my area)
I'm already a decent cap so i'll keep him in mind.

Looking at the rest of your mains under your nametag, you should try out :4lucas: as well. He's a physically rounded alternative to the hyper defense and projectile spacing of Villager, and shares some assets like horizontal air speed, long range recovery, and threatening smash attacks.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So right now, I'm maining :4myfriends: Ike right now, but I'm having trouble with the fast characters(because Ike is pretty slow), especially sonic and pikachu.
Ike doesn't need a secondary for Sonic or Pikachu as he actually has solid MUs vs. both characters, especially Sonic. I believe @Nidtendofreak has a writeup about this MU or something? I could be wrong.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I think I need another secondary.
- Spaces with aerials
- Able to kill easily (i.e. doesn't rely on reads)
- Covers :4yoshi:'s bad matchups

I can add more if that's not specific enough.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I dropped:4sonic:recently, because I don't enjoy him as much as I used to a few months ago. I decided to narrow down my characters that I truly like (love almost everything about them) and I came up to:4mario::4marth::4shulk::4corrinf:only. I wanted to stick to Mario as usual. However, since Corrin came out, I was really interested by the character. I wanted to know this, but I think it's way too early to tell this: is Corrin a good secondary to cover:4mario:bad MUs (I think of:rosalina::4zss:mainly, because I think those are his bad MUs by many professional Mario mains)?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Corrin actually seems to have a pretty decent Rosalina matchup, but it's probably too early to make a judgement call. He definitely loses to ZSS though.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Corrin actually seems to have a pretty decent Rosalina matchup, but it's probably too early to make a judgement call. He definitely loses to ZSS though.
Oh I see...I personally don't think that Mario-ZSS isn't too bad and a lot more duable than Rosalina. Okay thanks. Will keep Corrin in my list for now along with Marth and Shulk as secondaries for Mario.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Man, idk how people can stick to one or two dudes. I'm tripping harder than ever because a number of characters have my interest, but playing them all is not really an option.
:4megaman: has cool tricks and item techniques up his sleeve, decent footsies/space control and a high learning curve. Not exactly a great character. Would probably pair him with :4cloud: or :4bayonetta: as a secondary.
:4bowserjr: I like his mixup style and strong juggles. His mediocre normals and grab hurt the way I like to play but that would change if I committed to him. Again, not a great character but one I see potential in. His secondary would need to be good at footsies because I need that in my life.
:4corrin: this guy is new, and his strong midrange spacing is definitely up my alley. Been playing him a bit and he's kind of slow and I feel like his ceiling is pretty low. Secondary would be :4zss:. I like this pair but it might be a bit boring.
:4lucario: is also cool. I think he's pretty good and fun to move around with. I'm concerned about his consistently but he has proven himself on an international scale to be viable. Secondary choice is up in the air. Again, his footsies are lacking.
:4gaw: I didn't expect to like him, but I do. Pretty good movement and buttons. Really food offstage which is a plus. He has good rep in other countries but not in the US. Secondary is also up in the air.
These are all pretty solid choices in my mind, but it's hard to commit. As a player, I enjoy footsies, being able to edge guard, having a projectile or item is a nice plus. Strong mixups are also nice. I guess I'm posting this here mostly to gather my thoughts in one place. If anyone has some words of wisdom, throw them my way. This is an ongoing problem and it's getting in the way of my ability to improve.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Man, idk how people can stick to one or two dudes. I'm tripping harder than ever because a number of characters have my interest, but playing them all is not really an option.
:4megaman: has cool tricks and item techniques up his sleeve, decent footsies/space control and a high learning curve. Not exactly a great character. Would probably pair him with :4cloud: or :4bayonetta: as a secondary.
:4bowserjr: I like his mixup style and strong juggles. His mediocre normals and grab hurt the way I like to play but that would change if I committed to him. Again, not a great character but one I see potential in. His secondary would need to be good at footsies because I need that in my life.
:4corrin: this guy is new, and his strong midrange spacing is definitely up my alley. Been playing him a bit and he's kind of slow and I feel like his ceiling is pretty low. Secondary would be :4zss:. I like this pair but it might be a bit boring.
:4lucario: is also cool. I think he's pretty good and fun to move around with. I'm concerned about his consistently but he has proven himself on an international scale to be viable. Secondary choice is up in the air. Again, his footsies are lacking.
:4gaw: I didn't expect to like him, but I do. Pretty good movement and buttons. Really food offstage which is a plus. He has good rep in other countries but not in the US. Secondary is also up in the air.
These are all pretty solid choices in my mind, but it's hard to commit. As a player, I enjoy footsies, being able to edge guard, having a projectile or item is a nice plus. Strong mixups are also nice. I guess I'm posting this here mostly to gather my thoughts in one place. If anyone has some words of wisdom, throw them my way. This is an ongoing problem and it's getting in the way of my ability to improve.
I think that Mega Man is the one closest to what you want. Mega Man has some decent footstool setups. Also, he has a nice mixup and bait-punish game with his projectile game. Also, he's pretty good at edgeguarding. However, like you said, be prepared to commit a lot of work with him.

I don't know if that's just me, but Corrin doesn't make me hype or doesn't have something cool and flashy? Is it just me?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I don't know if that's just me, but Corrin doesn't make me hype or doesn't have something cool and flashy? Is it just me?
There's the bite from Neutral B, D-air suicide, and maybe Up B kill.

Also nobody answered my post yet?

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
If you also like getting reads and a strong grab game, then :4lucario: is definitely for you C0rvus C0rvus I would also look to pair him with a secondary that counters really speedy characters such as :4zss: and :4falcon:, but not :4sheik:, because lucario really takes advantages of her low kill power.

Last edited:

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
Hello everyone, I too am lost in the land of finding a main. The issue I have is that I usually play team games typically maining support in such games so I am basically screwed. Now I will say some things about me to help narrow it down.

1. The type of characters I play regardless of roles in other games tend to mainly be scumbag characters like techies in Dota or some other character who is constantly annoying in a fun way, or mages so I have definitely narrowed down my choices to either zoners, or characters with super scumbaggy tricks to place around.

2. I LOVED playing Ivysaur in Project M, so that is a start.

3. I have played all of the cast but I can't really narrow it down after the obvious nopes (and ironically Rosalina who I ended up not liking.) Oh and no Robin, I really don't care for fire emblem.

4. I don't care how good the character actually is, but I DO care if their downsides become super disappointing and fun ruining. For instance I used to main Olimar as my character to train up and did rather well for a time, however I started sparring with more experienced players in the matchup that I know, and they constantly make life not fun by wrecking me nonstop if I try to get back to the stage making me feel like a crippled turtle or something. No one wants to feel like a crippled turtle.

Some candidates I have considered (Note this doesn't mean automatically stick to this list these are just the obvious characters I have considered and have played all of them with similar small misfourtunes to Olimar)::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4link::4megaman::4ness::4pacman::4samus::4mewtwo::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4wiifitm::4zelda:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Quick answers from my opinion
Kulty Kulty What bad matchups? Last I've seen :4mario: has none but :4sonic:, :4falcon: and :4yoshi:.
I don't think that Mario struggles against these characters.:4sonic:is not as bad as before patch 1.0.6 to where his kill power got massively nerfed. Mario does pretty good against:4falcon:and goes about even with:4yoshi:. I think that Mario's true worst MUs are probably:rosalina::4zss:by most people. Some characters like:4sheik::4metaknight::4dk::4darkpit::4pit::4ganondorf::4link::4marth:are perfectly duable for Mario even if he goes roughly even or slightly loses (by theory of course). I personally do think that:4corrinf:can have a pretty decent time against:rosalina:, because of her Yato Blade dealing so much knockback. I know it's too early to tell for :4corrinf::4bayonetta:since they just came out. Plus, if Corrin has the lead and gets that grab glitch against:4zss:, it's pretty much done for her (I think it won't be patched anytime soon since Sakurai stated that this version is the final version).

Kulty

Smash Ace
Kulty Kulty Right, I remember that Mario's super weak to swords. Choose a projectile-heavy character to counter the disjoints, like :4megaman:.
I guess that:4megaman:can be useful. I just wish I can play him since I'm not exactly comfortable with him just yet. I've been trying to learn him, because he's the zoning character that I enjoy the most (maybe even the only one, because in general, I find throwing off projectiles to be very boring and mindless). Plus, I feel that for Mario, fighting against sword users is not as bad as the previous games due to Mario's slight increase in range. But he still has to watch out for them. Against Rosa, I heard the MU is about even for Mega Man, but ZSS is again a nightmare for him due to her unfair advantages being completely bull****!

EDIT: I still want to solo main Mario, and then if I have problems, maybe consider another character.By curiosity, which character does well against these characters::4darkpit::4pit::4dk::4luigi::4marth::4metaknight::4gaw::4ness::rosalina::4sheik::4zss:(no I don't want the five latter because they're obnoxious and boring)? More in particular, who does well against:rosalina::4zss:mostly, because I feel the others are duable? Does Mega Man do good against them?

Last edited:

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
EarthShaker EarthShaker Here's a list of the most supporty characters. :4pacman::4duckhunt::4villager::4palutena::4wiifit::4zelda::4olimar::4corrin::4gaw:
Kulty Kulty Right, I remember that Mario's super weak to swords. Choose a projectile-heavy character to counter the disjoints, like :4megaman:.
Heres my problem I have...
:4pacman: Basically no throw
:4duckhunt: While I do the best with him, his recovery is kinda bad (I usually play him because I feel his options are there)
:4corrin: No
:4gaw: I disagree with this classification he is more of a gimmick/combo character.
:4palutena: Honestly just like fire emblem I cant stand kid icarus at all.
:4zelda: Believe it or not I actually do play her rather well, but she just gets bodied sometimes which is a drag.
:4olimar: Mained him for ages, then he just fell apart because of his problems when forced offstage.
:4wiifit: I have thought abount it.... but it is just the tilts aerials and jabs are all so.... ineffective at keeping safe converage.

Who needs a grab for a support character anyway? Just stick with :4pacman:, or go with :4duckhunt: if you're best with him.
Also, looking from the other side of it :4mario: is one of Meta Knight's worst matchups. Keep that in mind.

Just cape everything and win. Meta Knight has no projectiles, and all of his approaches outside of dair are very weak to cape.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Also, looking from the other side of it :4mario: is one of Meta Knight's worst matchups. Keep that in mind.
I don't think that Mario is one of Meta Knight's worst MUs. It can be the opposite or about even. I feel that Meta Knight is completely duable for Mario, because while Meta Knight can outrange him and edgeguard him a lot easier, Mario can combo him a lot and Meta Knight is light, so he will die from Mario's Up-Smash quite early. However, they both can combo well (MK being more deadly imo) and can juggle well. I personally feel that MK-Mario is probably 45-55 in MK's favor.

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
Who needs a grab for a support character anyway? Just stick with :4pacman:, or go with :4duckhunt: if you're best with him.

Just cape everything and win. Meta Knight has no projectiles, and all of his approaches outside of dair are very weak to cape.
Ya know.... now that I think about about why don't I just play both, depending on the matchup and go from there? I mean I don't need any duck hunt practice so I have the time to learn up my Pacman to his level.

Leffigi

Smash Rookie
Yo! I used to main Ice climbers in melee and brawl so who's a character like that? (Pls no rosalina)

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Btw guys.

Is it better to have 3 characters that have completely different playstyles between each other or characters that play relatively the same between each other? I hesitate between:4mario::4shulk::4megaman:or:4mario::4shulk::4corrinf:. I'm comfortable with either option. I personally think that the first one is more fresh and new as opposed to the other one. What do you guys think?

Kulty

Smash Ace
Can't help you Kulty Kulty
It's okay. Don't worry about that. I'll just play:4mario:as my only SERIOUS character and maybe consider:4metaknight:for MU coverage against :rosalina::4zss:since I think that MK is the only character that goes well against these two while having a different playstyle than Mario especially and other MUs to make it more even like:4darkpit::4dk::4luigi::4marth::4gaw::4ness::4pit::4sheik:. I'll still wait for:4cloud2::4corrinf:since I'm also interested in them, but don't know how they will fare against Rosa and ZSS.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I really like their grab game so I grab a lot in smash 4. I would always convert grabs into combos as well
If you're just looking for a grab-centric character, I'd consider :4dk::4bowser:; they have massive grab range as well as grab reward.

TSJ | Strat

Smash Rookie
Hey all! Recently with PM being shut down a lot of local tourneys have stopped playing it all together. I was a :ganondorf: main through and through. I am still doing decent with him, but at higher levels of play I can really feel the, "low teirness," starting to effect me. I want to pick up a new main but I have no clue who to pick! The obvious choice would be :4falcon:, but since I have yet to master pivoting his speed seems out of control and I cannot do a lot of combos that were possible in PM. Send help!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
It isn't PM so of course you can't do PM combos in Smash 4. That said, Falcon plays very similarly, it's just a matter of adjusting to Smash 4 physics. I say go for it, but don't expect instant success.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Hey all! Recently with PM being shut down a lot of local tourneys have stopped playing it all together. I was a :ganondorf: main through and through. I am still doing decent with him, but at higher levels of play I can really feel the, "low teirness," starting to effect me. I want to pick up a new main but I have no clue who to pick! The obvious choice would be :4falcon:, but since I have yet to master pivoting his speed seems out of control and I cannot do a lot of combos that were possible in PM. Send help!
I recommend:

- Captain Falcon (speed, style, fundamentals)
- DK (grabs, power)
- Ike (power, reads, good combos)
- Cloud (variety and PM-like recovery)
- Wario (jank but good lol)
- Greninja (more of an oddball recommendation, but a good character anyways)

All of the top tiers have their own style of play tbh. You should get used to Smash 4 physics first.

joltekz

Smash Cadet
NNID
joltekz
Hey everyone, been changing mains a lot recently and I want to settle on someone good (top tier/mid-high tier) and fun/flashy at the same time.

any help? Currently maining sheik and enjoying her to be honest since I can adjust my playstyle to what I want.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Hey everyone, been changing mains a lot recently and I want to settle on someone good (top tier/mid-high tier) and fun at the same time.

any help? Currently maining and sheik and enjoying her to be honest since I can adjust my playstyle to what I want.
"Currently maining [?] and sheik," who are you maining?

You should provide more details on the characters and/or playstyles you like to play.

Sheik is good for obvious reasons, although it will plenty of practice to overcome her primary weakness of early killing.

joltekz

Smash Cadet
NNID
joltekz
"Currently maining [?] and sheik," who are you maining?

You should provide more details on the characters and/or playstyles you like to play.

Sheik is good for obvious reasons, although it will plenty of practice to overcome her primary weakness of early killing.

I'm looking for someone flashy and top/mid tier who I can just you know start playing, some chars are very easy to pickup and be good with them.

so having to main that type of char is preferable for me.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I'm looking for someone flashy and top/mid tier who I can just you know start playing, some chars are very easy to pickup and be good with them.

so having to main that type of char is preferable for me.
Cloud, Captain Falcon, Mario, Luigi, Ness, and perhaps Corrin. I personally recommend Cloud. He's so strong and he doesn't require too much at all to play at a good level. Just be wary of being edgeguarded with him, as other players look to exploit that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom