• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lylat Short Hop Technique!

Is this the best stage for Ganon?

• Totally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vampire

Smash Rookie
NNID
VampireLoveLife
3DS FC
3566-2787-2183
Good news Ganon mains! Lylat is possibly the best stage choice for Ganon.
Okay, I'm not sure if this is known already, I researched it and can't find anything simular to what I have discovered. I found this out by messing around on Lylat in training. (This is only useful when you're on Lylat)

Ganon's short hop D-air was a great killing method, there was such little ending lag, you could throw them around like hot cakes. Sadly in smash 4 it's been nerfed and it can no longer be performed. Well you can perform short hops once again while on Lylat.

Lylat is constantly turning side to side which is what allows the short hop. Say the stage is leaning to the right, if u D-air to the right as well it cuts out the ending lag and it becomes a short hop.

It may be a little difficult get used to but if you get it down and perform them properly it seems like a great strategy. Not only does it make Ganons D-air a more useful and reliable attack again at times but I think it's even better at baiting your opponent towards you. They'll think they can punish you for throwing out a laggy attack and they'll start running towards you like flies on s***. You can then combo the short hop with a quick F-tilt to send them flying.

I wouldn't spam it though, intelligent players may catch on and ruin the exploit. Save it for high percents, use it as a way to take away stocks.

Again, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this cool technique, I just happens to figure it out on my own and rushed to the boards to help out my fellow Ganon mains. So next time you're on Anther's ladder and you don't know which stage to counter pick with, go with Lylat! I hope this helps any Ganon mains in the future!

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
@ Z1GMA Z1GMA spoke about this a while back.

In brawl we avoided Lylat because of the lag it gave to Ganon's short hop dair, but in S4 it's the other way.

I do think Lylat, with its platforms, long ceiling on top, and other tidbits as well, does make it somewhat a potential stage for Ganon. The higher than normal platforms help Ganon's nair poke much better, which I find to be a big benefit.

Lylat recently moved from starter to a counterpick stage though.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
@ Z1GMA Z1GMA spoke about this a while back.

In brawl we avoided Lylat because of the lag it gave to Ganon's short hop dair, but in S4 it's the other way.

I do think Lylat, with its platforms, long ceiling on top, and other tidbits as well, does make it somewhat a potential stage for Ganon. The higher than normal platforms help Ganon's nair poke much better, which I find to be a big benefit.

Lylat recently moved from starter to a counterpick stage though.
I hear some people are trying to make a movement to swap the places of DL64 (starter) and Lylat (CP) to CP and starter

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
@ Vampire Vampire , tilting stages benefit Ganon in more ways as well:

When dropping someone downhill with Flame Choke, you get additional time/frames before they touch the ground, which means you get a garantueed Dtilt on some characters that you normally can't garantuee a Dtilt on due to how fast they can act.

In a very slight uphill, you can hit some ppl with Jab that are normally to skinny to be hit with Jab, or too quick to get hit with Dtilt.

verbatim

Smash Ace
How do you guys feel about this versus Battlefield? I traditionally like to play on Battlefield since I can shark with Dark Dive's last hit as I'm recovering, but the smaller size is an issue.

Also, this stage is a starter on Anther's and my opponent's pretty much always ban it regardless of wether or not they like it (even if means letting me go Battlefield, but that could just be MU inexperience), so I doubt we'll be able to play it unless someone messes up on striking counterpick stages.

Vampire

Smash Rookie
NNID
VampireLoveLife
3DS FC
3566-2787-2183
@ verbatim verbatim
I think lylat and BF are the best stages for Ganon, IMO at least. The platforms make it easier for ganon to approach, particulary when your opponent is projectile camping. You can also drop through platforms to land quick fairs, this works a lot for me, my opponent usually never see them coming. And this may sound small and meaningless but BF has notable designs on it's floor, I use these designs as guidelines to land accurate wiz kick cancels without fail.
Also, my opponents don't usually ban bf in my experiences. I fight there a lot actually. Maybe it's just a run of bad luck on your part, I'm sure it will change in the future.

Vampire

Smash Rookie
NNID
VampireLoveLife
3DS FC
3566-2787-2183
@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm
I see, I didn't know this was an already known thing. But either way it's a very interesting find, I'm using it a lot now.

Also, I saw your fight against DKwill, great game. Your ledge trumps were awesome.

Vampire

Smash Rookie
NNID
VampireLoveLife
3DS FC
3566-2787-2183
@ Z1GMA Z1GMA
So you discovered this then? I'm sorry for posting this then, I didn't know if it was known or not.
Thank you for the flame choke tips, I didn't know that. Lylaf is definatly my favorite ganon stage. everything seems to be in his favor.
Also, I read about how you said you can buffer out a B when you full hop f-air. How do you do this exactly? I spent a lot of time in traing trying to do it but to no avail. I would really appreciate the help

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
@ Z1GMA Z1GMA
Also, I read about how you said you can buffer out a B when you full hop f-air. How do you do this exactly? I spent a lot of time in traing trying to do it but to no avail. I would really appreciate the help
You have to do a "Rising" fullhop Fair. Press jump and then A a split second after (easy if you roll your thumb from jump to A).
Then just buffer (try mashing) a B-move upon landing.

Vampire

Smash Rookie
NNID
VampireLoveLife
3DS FC
3566-2787-2183
@ Z1GMA Z1GMA
Okay, I can perform it now. Thanks for the help. And cool discovery, hope you'll unlock more neat stuff for ganon

Top Bottom