• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Guys, Roy's latest appearance in a Fire Emblem game was in FE7, so this will be Roy's design in sm4sh.

:troll:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Kid Roy confirmed for Smash.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Still, Marth and Ike had no reason to use their Awakening attires. In Marth's case, his attire was the same as Lucina's and with Lucina in the game, theirs no reason for him to use that attire. With Ike, his attire in that game was pretty bad hence his Radiant Dawn attire taking priority.

Roy's case is much different then both of them. He clearly has an attire available that blows his Melee/Binding Blade attire out of the water and it would be a HUGE mistake to push it aside for the old Melee one. Not saying he can't have his Melee attire, i'm just saying it needs to take a back seat (i.e. an alt attire) to his Awakening attire which has every reason to be his primary attire.
When it comes to Roy's attire I it would make the most sense to have 4 melee alts. and 4 Awakening alts. like how Wii Fit Trainer and Olimar/Alph are handled (though it would be cool to have 8 colors for both alts. like Little Mac) the question like you said is which alt will be advertised more on one hand Awakening is newer and better imo but Melee has nostalgia and popularity to Smash and FE fans alike so it's up to Sakurai really.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
When it comes to Roy's attire I it would make the most sense to have 4 melee alts. and 4 Awakening alts. like how Wii Fit Trainer and Olimar/Alph are handled (though it would be cool to have 8 colors for both alts. like Little Mac) the question like you said is which alt will be advertised more on one hand Awakening is newer and better imo but Melee has nostalgia and popularity to Smash and FE fans alike so it's up to Sakurai really.
I think Wario would've been a better comparison, considering he only changes outfit styles, but I agree regardless.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He can keep his Melee attire as an alt for people that are nostalgic for his appearance in Melee though Awakening as I said many times before is a much better choice for a primary attire for many reasons I mentioned before.

I think Wario would've been a better comparison, considering he only changes outfit styles, but I agree regardless.
^ This. Wario kept his classic yellow attire as an alt while he kept his relatively lesser known Biker attire as his primary attire mainly because it makes him more unique and makes him stand out.

Roy can follow suit with this by having his (IMO) superior Awakening attire as his primary attire and then have his old Melee one as an alt for people that miss using it. It also makes sense to change up his attire given he's likely to have a moveset overhaul so it would accommodate that well by giving Roy a new look.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Considering the amount of ideas people have to make Roy original, how competitively viable do you all think Roy will end up being? I can see him being mid tier given how small Marth's sword has become but I feel he will be better than Marth this time because of his rush down playstyle vs marth's spacing game which got ruined in smash 4.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Considering the amount of ideas people have to make Roy original, how competitively viable do you all think Roy will end up being? I can see him being mid tier given how small Marth's sword has become but I feel he will be better than Marth this time because of his rush down playstyle vs marth's spacing game which got ruined in smash 4.
I was actually thinking about this the other day and I thought he can very well end up being upper-mid/low-high tier in the game. When you think about his major flaws in Melee like him getting combo'd all the time, him being prone to getting edge guarded, and his tipper being really weak (compared to Marth's center which is still pretty good), those flaws are pretty much non-existent in a Sm4sH setting.

- Combo's aren't prominent in the game
- No more edge-guarding
- Roy getting balanced like everyone did in the game and him potentially getting a revamped moveset

All they need to do is buff his Blazer (like I mentioned before in my custom moveset) and make his tipper similar to Marth's center and he'll be completely viable to play as competitively.

SSSword of Seals tier.

Since I think Lucina is underrated as it is, and she gets so much mileage out of fsmash punishes... Roy is gonna be terrifying, and if he's not viable I'm gonna go in there San-style and dig him out.

If Roy's Blazer can kill, I will be so happy. I know a secret with Dolphin Slash that lets it true combo from a standard from 0-around 120/130. I intend to keep it a secret from most players, it should most definitely work for Roy.

Kid Roy confirmed for Smash.
Young Link, Pichu, and Young Roy reveal to tie up the Melee veterans. Roy brought in as well. This brings an adolescent special sale featuring Lucas, Young Roy, Roy (he's 15 and still our boy), Young Link, and Pichu. Mewtwo too because of the first movie special where he's shown as a child. Throw Ryu in for the hell of it. 10/10 would buy individually to give Nintendo more $$$.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Or they can release a Roy DLC pack

Roy
Revamped Roy
Kid Roy
Dark Roy
Dr. Roy
Eliwood-like Roy
Roy that has OHKO stats because that's the only thing FE fans give a s*it about
The Roy that lives a block away from your house
Hollywood Roy
Pro-Wrestler Roy
US President Roy
Bronie Roy
Mason for his hard work of managing the Roy for DLC website

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Fixing Roy's sourspot should be top priority since that would help him immensely. Smash 4's mechanics also help Roy's viability.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Or they can release a Roy DLC pack

Roy
Revamped Roy
Kid Roy
Dark Roy
Dr. Roy
Eliwood-like Roy
Roy that has OHKO stats because that's the only thing FE fans give a s*it about
The Roy that lives a block away from your house
Hollywood Roy
Pro-Wrestler Roy
US President Roy
Bronie Roy
Mason for his hard work of managing the Roy for DLC website
I'll take 20.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That'll show people for complaining endlessly about "3 Marth's" or "too many FE reps".

For all their complaining and moaning, they'll get 12 Roy's + Mason (because he helped Roy get in) to fill up all the DLC slots.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I was actually thinking about this the other day and I thought he can very well end up being upper-mid/low-high tier in the game. When you think about his major flaws in Melee like him getting combo'd all the time, him being prone to getting edge guarded, and his tipper being really weak (compared to Marth's center which is still pretty good), those flaws are pretty much non-existent in a Sm4sH setting.

- Combo's aren't prominent in the game
- No more edge-guarding
- Roy getting balanced like everyone did in the game and him potentially getting a revamped moveset

All they need to do is buff his Blazer (like I mentioned before in my custom moveset) and make his tipper similar to Marth's center and he'll be completely viable to play as competitively.
I remember one post saying that Roy could be higher than Marth in the tier list. Seeing that Marth got nerfed drastically from Brawl to SSB4, this will be Roy's chance to outclass him.

I agree with the stuff you said about balancing Roy out for SSB4. Let's hope he fixes the flaws he had in Melee especially competitive play so that he can stand out.

There may be some complaining from the detractors if an updated tier list has Roy higher than Marth, especially on GameFAQs. Roy really doesn't deserve to called "Ginger Marth".

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I remember one post saying that Roy could be higher than Marth in the tier list. Seeing that Marth got nerfed drastically from Brawl to SSB4, this will be Roy's chance to outclass him.

I agree with the stuff you said about balancing Roy out for SSB4. Let's hope he fixes the flaws he had in Melee especially competitive play so that he can stand out.

There may be some complaining from the detractors if an updated tier list has Roy higher than Marth, especially on GameFAQs. Roy really doesn't deserve to called "Ginger Marth".
I think Roy already out did Marth in PM. From what I hear, Roy's is top tier while Marth is upper-mid tier.

But yeah, the day where Roy finally outclasses Marth in a official Smash Bros game can very well happen. It'll be a great day for the Royvolution.

As for GameFAQ's, you would be wise to not venture there often. It's almost like an upside down world there.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I think Roy already out did Marth in PM. From what I hear, Roy's is top tier while Marth is upper-mid tier.

But yeah, the day where Roy finally outclasses Marth in a official Smash Bros game can very well happen. It'll be a great day for the Royvolution.

As for GameFAQ's, you would be wise to not venture there often. It's almost like an upside down world there.
I'm going to listen to what you said. I am very aware of how GameFAQs are, and thankfully, I am not a member over there.

Those people there complain about his stats, his clone status, and more. And of course, arguing that his popularity came from Super Smash Bros. Melee, but the same thing can be said to the detractors about other characters like Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and much more. I'll never join GameFAQs and any other discussion boards that argues and complains about stuff.

As for Project M Roy outclassing Marth, I didn't know that. I actually believe it. Someday, I'll try that mod and also Brawl Minus so that I can have much fun with Roy. For Brawl Minus, I may go ahead and use those unique aerials and that Blazer when I have that chance.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Adding on to what I said before, I still think the Sheik MU will be unfavorable for Roy in the game. With her CG's still being a force to reckon with, it'll be Roy's toughest MU's for sure.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'm going to listen to what you said. I am very aware of how GameFAQs are, and thankfully, I am not a member over there.

Those people there complain about his stats, his clone status, and more. And of course, arguing that his popularity came from Super Smash Bros. Melee, but the same thing can be said to the detractors about other characters like Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and much more. I'll never join GameFAQs and any other discussion boards that argues and complains about stuff.

As for Project M Roy outclassing Marth, I didn't know that. I actually believe it. Someday, I'll try that mod and also Brawl Minus so that I can have much fun with Roy. For Brawl Minus, I may go ahead and use those unique aerials and that Blazer when I have that chance.
I've gone deep into GameFAQs. To put it short, I'll never join there.

As for Project M, yeah, many agree that Roy is better than Marth thanks to all the buffs he got, and Marth himself being not as effective as he was in Melee thanks to everyone else being improved and having the proper tools to counter him now.

Adding on to what I said before, I still think the Sheik MU will be unfavorable for Roy in the game. With her CG's still being a force to reckon with, it'll be Roy's toughest MU's for sure.
It seems no matter what, every character seems to struggle against Sheik.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I've taken out a good number of Sheiks in FG with Shulk and Lucina. You just need to be careful with not making too many mistakes and baiting out her attacks.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I've taken out a good number of Sheiks in FG with Shulk and Lucina. You just need to be careful with not making too many mistakes and baiting out her attacks.
Yeah, I've also beaten a good handful of Sheiks myself, mainly with Shulk and Ness.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The RTC thread is gonna go wild tomorrow when it's Roy turn to be rated.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've also beaten a good handful of Sheiks myself, mainly with Shulk and Ness.
There was one Sheik player that gave me a lot of trouble. I couldn't even beat the person, until the last battle where the user self-destructed giving me the chance to beat the person, and I managed to beat that Sheik user.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
*twitch* As a Marth main, people bringing up how nerfed he is is a sore spot for me...ugh It hurts so much...But I swore to myself that I will not falter again never give up on Marth, and hopefully, if Roy does come back, I will finally have my two perfect mains.

For me, I do honestly think that Roy will be higher on the tier list than...*cringe* Marth I'm so sorry bby, that is, if he gets revamped. I do think tier lists are a load of crap, but it's still nice to see my mains do well. ...Please don't hurt me...

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
*twitch* As a Marth main, people bringing up how nerfed he is is a sore spot for me...ugh It hurts so much...But I swore to myself that I will not falter again never give up on Marth, and hopefully, if Roy does come back, I will finally have my two perfect mains.

For me, I do honestly think that Roy will be higher on the tier list than...*cringe* Marth I'm so sorry bby, that is, if he gets revamped. I do think tier lists are a load of crap, but it's still nice to see my mains do well. ...Please don't hurt me...
Don't feel bad, man. While Marth is not as good as he was in Melee and Brawl, he's not terrible, and he's still capable of doing a lot of stuff. Props to you for sticking with him, and I suggest to not give up on him regardless of what the tier lists say.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

There may be more balance patches when more DLC rolls in, so don't lose hope.

The RTC thread is gonna go wild tomorrow when it's Roy turn to be rated.
Don't create any unnecessary ruckus though, please. I'd like the day to go smoothly.

:231:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Smash 4's mechanics also help Roy's viability.
I can't help but disagree here. Sm4sh has felt like the game wants you to not take risks, while Roy was always about taking a stupid risk with the slight chance of high reward. Shielding was a hard counter, and with shielding more powerful than ever I think the archetype Roy had from the past will need some serious renovation to become viable.

Personally, the sadistic person in me wants Roy to have absurdly high shield damage on his smash attacks so that players can't just shield-to-win against his advances, as well as lingering hitboxes on certain moves to fiercely punish rolls.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I can't help but disagree here. Sm4sh has felt like the game wants you to not take risks, while Roy was always about taking a stupid risk with the slight chance of high reward. Shielding was a hard counter, and with shielding more powerful than ever I think the archetype Roy had from the past will need some serious renovation to become viable.

Personally, the sadistic person in me wants Roy to have absurdly high shield damage on his smash attacks so that players can't just shield-to-win against his advances, as well as lingering hitboxes on certain moves to fiercely punish rolls.

Wait, so Roy is an aggressive, risk taking character who has a flame sword???? Forget about the fact that there will be five Fire Emblem reps, I'm getting him at launch just like Mewtwo! Plus having five Fire Emblem reps means that even more Mario reps aren't out of the question!

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord

Well, either way, I'm sure they're gonna do something to make Roy better than he was in Melee. As for the high shield damage and lingering hitboxes, I think that could actually work since I'm sure they're gonna fix up some Roy's attributes and buff other things to make him better at rushdown than Marth.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah but his major flaws in Melee like being combo'd and getting edge guarded are pretty much non-existent in Sm4sH.

Not only that but other characters who's movesets involve them fighting up close have done well like Falcon.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Yeah but his major flaws in Melee like being combo'd and getting edge guarded are pretty much non-existent in Sm4sH.

Not only that but other characters who's movesets involve them fighting up close have done well like Falcon.
Yeah, since combos have been toned down, and edgeguarding is gone, that's gonna be a pretty significant improvement for Roy, considering those were arguably his biggest flaws in Melee.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Yeah, since combos have been toned down, and edgeguarding is gone, that's gonna be a pretty significant improvement for Roy, considering those were arguably his biggest flaws in Melee.
His PM design, which is my favorite, is really combo-dependent. Sourspots for combos and sweetspots for finishers. In Melee, it was obviously a lot about mock combos (difficult strings combined with mind games, since Roy had like no hitstun).

Edge-guarding is still a thing, but edge-hogging is not. I think buffing Blazer is one of the key things Roy needs, but since Marth's DB isn't a recovery tool anymore I wonder what Roy would get in the way of assistance to horizontal recovery. Dr. Mario suffers from such a bad recovery that he's hardly viable; I'm afraid Roy might receive similar treatment.

Roy hits hard and falls fast. His SHFFL was a beautiful combo tool, but it was never harnessed to its full potential before PM, and his movement was made glorious with what I believe is a near-perfect wavedash. Sadly, a lot of that will be gone.

I'm not saying Roy is going to be bad, but he's going to be incredibly different, and that might be a bad thing. I can't enjoy Marth anymore because of his changes; I just don't want that happening to Roy, too. If Roy as an aggressive swordfighter can be successfully implemented in a way that also allows him to deal with the defensive focus of Sm4sh (i.e. shield damage and lingering, wide hitboxes for roll punishes - down smash fire nova, anyone?), then it'll be fine.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
His PM design, which is my favorite, is really combo-dependent. Sourspots for combos and sweetspots for finishers. In Melee, it was obviously a lot about mock combos (difficult strings combined with mind games, since Roy had like no hitstun).

Edge-guarding is still a thing, but edge-hogging is not. I think buffing Blazer is one of the key things Roy needs, but since Marth's DB isn't a recovery tool anymore I wonder what Roy would get in the way of assistance to horizontal recovery. Dr. Mario suffers from such a bad recovery that he's hardly viable; I'm afraid Roy might receive similar treatment.

Roy hits hard and falls fast. His SHFFL was a beautiful combo tool, but it was never harnessed to its full potential before PM, and his movement was made glorious with what I believe is a near-perfect wavedash. Sadly, a lot of that will be gone.

I'm not saying Roy is going to be bad, but he's going to be incredibly different, and that might be a bad thing. I can't enjoy Marth anymore because of his changes; I just don't want that happening to Roy, too. If Roy as an aggressive swordfighter can be successfully implemented in a way that also allows him to deal with the defensive focus of Sm4sh (i.e. shield damage and lingering, wide hitboxes for roll punishes - down smash fire nova, anyone?), then it'll be fine.
I think they will most likely buff Blazer, and when it comes to Dr. Mario, I play him, and his recovery, while having very poor distance, is honestly not THAT big of a problem, you just gotta be careful and try to mix it up.

Roy's gonna be very different in this game, and whether it will be for the better or the worse we'll have to see. I agree the loss of his SHFFL will be pretty harsh, but I'm sure the other changes will benefit him in some way.

As for Marth, I'm a character loyalist, and I keep playing my main regardless of how nerfed they are. He's been a secondary throughout the series, and I continue to play him in Smash 4. I like Lucina more since she better fits my playstyle, though.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I can see Roy being buffed by giving his sword attacks a trail of fire that does minor damage by itself, upping his damage output and making it easier for him to hit people.

Most Sheiks I encounter in Melee/PM are free for my Roy, she's an easy matchup beyond the cg. Sethlon said it's one of Roy's easiest matchups when I asked in the PM Roy Skype group if I was the only one who found the Sheik matchup easy. The only Roy I truly study and look up to is NEO's, and he destroys Sheik. In this game her semi-cg works on pretty much everyone, and even if she could be in range to grab him again after a throw, sm4sh doesn't let you regrab until a certain amount of time passes, so she'd just have her bread-and-butter throw followup shenanigans she has on everyone.

I have an extensive background on GameFAQs, I created an email at 10 just to have an account, then I found the Fire Emblem boards years later around 2010. I also regretted looking at other boards around that time.

Worst times of my life. Let's just say I made a Fire Emblem Facebook page, when there were no Fire Emblem Facebook pages that posted even once, and I tried to get complete strangers outside GFAQs to like the page. I heard it's getting worse over the years for GameFAils. Yeaahhh...

Sweetspot fsmash should push opponents too far back to punish with most options. Usmash and maybe a new dsmash should poke through exposed shield areas at least a bit.

I wouldn't say it's gone, it's just less viable and relies more on reads. Edgehogging is gone, but not exactly edgeguarding itself. Edgestealing as a new mechanic forces your opponent off and takes their ledge invincibility, putting them in a worse position, but they're less likely to repeat a previous option to get on stage. There's also hitting rising opponents before they snap to the ledge, I get a lot of stage spikes from hitting Zelda/Palutena/Mewtwo after teleports. I don't know why more people don't take the opportunities for both. There's also stage teching and immediately retaliating, which is so fun to do and see. Edgeguarding becomes easier and more prominent if you catch someone out of jumps. The overall edge and offstage game in this game gets pretty deep.

Considering other fastfallers in this game have excellent SHFFs or plain SH/FH aerials that still allow really nice movement and pressure, Roy will be fine in both loss of SHFFL and against opposing defensive options with an at least great aerial game.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Lol... If Roy become better than Marth in this game he will be the FIRST not-Link Clone/Semi-Clone that is actually better than the original character.

Never mind, Dr. Mario (Melee) is better than Mario (Melee) and the other space animals (Brawl) are better than Fox (Brawl)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I would be disappointed but not surprised if so the returning DLC veterans were virtually unchangwd, tbh. Mewtwo has no customs and a near identical moveset; Lucas looks the same. It really made Mewtwo disappointing when he had no customs; it felt like he was only half implemented as a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom