• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Did those arguements really just happen?

Wow. Just...wow.

Why all the stupid Roy hate? I haven't seen a single valid reason for him not to be included in any of that, and that arguement about him only being in one game...didn't he literally just appear in Chrom's game or did I imagine that entire DLC with him and Ike?

A souless ginger insult to discredit Roy? Seriously?
I'm glad Chrono seems to be the sort of person who can counter all these points with sensible debate without getting irritated at this kind of nonsense. I don't think I'd have the patience when people are saying Chrom's more likely because Roy only appeared in one game so far. Both ironic and incorrect.

A few people just don't like his name. I think that's kinda stupid.
Please tell me this isn't a real thing.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
We'll I at least hope his side b, neutral b, counter, Bair, and Dair are the same. He could be a semi clone, like Ganondorf.
Double Edge Dance was pretty good, I would want him to keep it too but I would want Roy to be as different from Marth as possible. Flare Blade would be kept, probably would just have a different animation.

Counter is tricky....FE characters in Smash so far have all had that move, I would be ok if Roy kept it but maybe they could replace it with a fire projectile move.

As for his A moves, they will probably be the generic sword moves.

low tier user

Smash Cadet
Double Edge Dance was pretty good, I would want him to keep it too but I would want Roy to be as different from Marth as possible. Flare Blade would be kept, probably would just have a different animation.

Counter is tricky....FE characters in Smash so far have all had that move, I would be ok if Roy kept it but maybe they could replace it with a fire projectile move.

As for his A moves, they will probably be the generic sword moves.
Ok fine but I at least want him to have double edge dance and neutral b and counter

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Ok fine but I at least want him to have double edge dance and neutral b and counter
They could always use the idea of Roy's counter having an healing trait, iirc the Sword of Seals is able to heal him. Instead of the counter dealing damage he would hit the person away, they would take no damage but would be knocked back and Roy would be healed depending on how strong the moves is.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
They could always use the idea of Roy's counter having an healing trait, iirc the Sword of Seals is able to heal him. Instead of the counter dealing damage he would hit the person away, they would take no damage but would be knocked back and Roy would be healed depending on how strong the moves is.
Kind of like Ness's down B?

If hit by a fire attack I'd like it to heal even more as a little bonus.

low tier user

Smash Cadet
Yea, except it would heal no matter what type of attack it is, and a fire healing bonus would be great to add too.
What if you could have either one happen and change it in the options menu? Or it could only heal if hit by a projectile? What if we had the Melee announcer back?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Maybe he'd be able to heal a bit if he's allowed to fully charge his neutral special? Ike would keep the harmful explosion, but Roy could instead stab into the air and get healed (while hurting nearby foes)

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Maybe he'd be able to heal a bit if he's allowed to fully charge his neutral special? Ike would keep the harmful explosion, but Roy could instead stab into the air and get healed (while hurting nearby foes)
That would be good at least if you miss you get healed some, although if Roy comes back I don't see Ike using fire based attacks anymore.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That would be good at least if you miss you get healed some, although if Roy comes back I don't see Ike using fire based attacks anymore.

Ideally, yeah. I want Ike's neutral special to turn into a charge-and-release ranged attack. It never made sense to give Ike a fiery explosion when they could've just as easily given a generic "vague blue energy" explosion.

I would also actually want to see Roy's entire moveset changed around, though.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Ideally, yeah. I want Ike's neutral special to turn into a charge-and-release ranged attack. It never made sense to give Ike a fiery explosion when they could've just as easily given a generic "vague blue energy" explosion.

I would also actually want to see Roy's entire moveset changed around, though.
Me too I would want Roy to be as different as possible, If Roy gets in over Chrom and is still Clone-ish lots of people will be upset.

They could turn his Dash attack into a thrust to resemble his attack animation in FE6, Maybe give him a jab combo? Aerials may take some thinking, I think they would stay similar to Marth's. His Smash attacks need to be redone as well.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well, I've talked about this, but if we did get a ton of FE swordsmen, this is how I'd want them to be differentiated.

Marth: Made to be more of a fencer/stabbing character. Quick, range, lethal. Regal.
Ike: No real change, still swinging around his sword like a sledgehammer. Strong.
Chrom: Mobility options. Agile.
Roy: Interesting mechanics that interact with the fire, not just making him someone who's swinging an orange sword. Leaving zones of fire to control enemy movement. Clever.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, I've talked about this, but if we did get a ton of FE swordsmen, this is how I'd want them to be differentiated.

Marth: Made to be more of a fencer/stabbing character. Quick, range, lethal. Regal.
Ike: No real change, still swinging around his sword like a sledgehammer. Strong.
Roy: Interesting mechanics that interact with the fire, not just making him someone who's swinging an orange sword. Leaving zones of fire to control enemy movement. Clever.

Actually this sounds amazing. ^

Having four totally different play styles would at least make all the Fire Emblem lords feel fresh and exciting; I love the idea of using Roy's fire for something other than inflicting damage.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Some good ideas on the last page. I specifically would like to see qdMbp expand his idea for Roy into a full moveset.

Anyway, I know social groups were brought back a month or so ago, but I tried searching and I could not find the Knights of Elibe anywhere. Does anyone know if this group still exists (I created it), or did it get deleted?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I really want that ranged explosion from FE6 if Roy gets back in. Would help him differentiate from Marth.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I have kinda opposite envisions on Chrom, but that doesn't matter. You're idea on Roy sounds pretty cool. Makes sense too, as they could do a lot of innovative and tactical things with the fire, like setting traps. It's the freaking Sword of Seals! It should totally "seal" opponents in fire pillars or something.

Marth and Ike both fit into unique archetypes. They could be expanded on, if Sakurai feels the need (as I've seen some awesome ideas for Ike), however, I'd like Roy to fit into a nice archetype as well. My ideal Roy would be leaning towards the glass cannon archetype (something similar to G&W). Strengths includes: raw damage output, speed, and extreme priority for some of his moves. Having fire projectiles will definitely help him differentiate himself from the rest of the FE cast even more.

Sakurai isn't afraid to make move changes to vets, however, I'm still expecting Roy to be a semi-clone (or something like Lucas/Wolf) if he gets in (though, I do believe he'd be easy to de-clone completely if Sakurai feels the need). Even if Roy's a semi-clone, as long as they fix up the sword's hitbox mechanic (so it doesn't hinder Roy in the long run) or drop it all together, I think with help of projectiles for zoning/pressuring, I could see Roy being a very promising fighter.

As for the healing, well, I'm not sure how to implant something like that given the context of Smash. However, I've seen some hack movesets where Counter, iirc, heals 20% when successful as well as doing an awesome explosion animation. I've also seen another moveset where Roy's Final Smash heals him, so I think that could be an easy way to implant the healing.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Some good ideas on the last page. I specifically would like to see qdMbp expand his idea for Roy into a full moveset.

I've posted specials here before, though they weren't as much around the strategy/zoning theme as my recent post implied.

Here's what I'm thinking for new Roy specials.

ROY
Up Special
FIERY FLIGHT
Roy's sword ignites and he swings it underneath himself in an arc. A moment later, the arc explodes in a gout of flame, launching Roy into the sky. The sword swing knocks enemies downward and the explosion blows them up. While the special cannot be used again until he lands, Roy can attack afterward freely.

Side Special
BURNING BRAND
Roy raises his hand to the sky where it becomes emblazoned with his house crest and then jumps forward with his palm extended. If he hits an enemy, they are knocked horizontally and then marked for the next ten seconds with the crest symbol floating over their head.
Branded: Enemies that have been branded take 50% more damage from fire attacks and are launched a little farther.

Neutral Special
EMBER BLADE
(inspired by the ranged attack of the Sword of Seals)
Roy holds his blade out to his side and starts to charge it with fiery energy. When the button is released or when the attack is fully charged, the fire is released in to the side. While the attack is charging, the blade can hurt enemies who come too close.
Tap: A tiny spark is released.
Partial charge: A roiling ball of flame moves across the stage.
Full charge: A giant fireball moves across the stage, dripping damaging droplets down from it.

Down Special
PYROTIC PURSUIT
(inspired by the FE skill “Pursuit” where your character may attack again after your enemy's attack)
Roy switches his grip to reverse, concentrates and waits a second, and then jumps forward with a slash.
The trick is, while he's preparing for the slash he cannot be knocked back and if he takes damage his sword ignites, making the slash deal more damage in proportion to how much has been dealt to him.

Final Smash
FUNERAL PYRE
Roy raises his blade into the sky as it starts roiling with flame. Streams of flame shoot up off the screen and then droplets hail down onto the stage where they stick to whatever they touch and continue to burn.
The initial gout of flame into the sky has the potential to KO foes, but the factor is that the stage floor ends up being dangerous... kind of like playing “the floor is lava”.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thread is full of good ideas.

If only Sakurai browsed SmashBoards (though there are rumours)... :laugh:

axeljedi

Smash Rookie
Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....
No offense but please shut up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I want to ask fellow Roy supporters here about whether I should start up a new Knights of Elibe group. It would certainly be smaller than the one there (but also a lot more active). It was also give us a sense of community as well.

Once I finish a few more series analysises for my Smash 4 character analysis topic, I want to shift my priorities over to Roy since there is not anyone else stepping up the plate unfortunately. However, I am going to make this a team effort, and I am going make sure every Roy supporter, both recent and veteran from the pre-Brawl days has a role in this.

Everyone can help, even in subtle ways.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Moveset for Roy: Any button and he randomly turns into one of the newcomers and stays like that for the whole match.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its really strange how Chrom supporters come into this thread and troll Roy, and yet vice-versa never happens (Roy supporters coming into Chrom's thread to say he's awful).

This may sound haughty or arrogant, but I think Roy supporters in general are more mature (and probably more intelligent) than many other fanbases for Smash Bros. characters. Its truly ironic given how Roy detractors like to insult Roy supporters for not being "true FE fans" or "being ignorant about FE".

The fact is whether they like to admit it or not, Roy was a very appealing character in Melee, and was probably among the most popular newcomers in that game despite being a clone.

There is also a lot of people that would love to see Roy back, the problem though is that many among the speculator set seem to undersell his chances, and the detractors for Roy and supporters for other FE characters are extremely vocal and loud, and love to voice their opinion in basically every other post.

I hate to say it, but we may have to end up being as loud as they are. Each time one of these people attacks Roy, we eseentially need to dogpile them. It may sound like a cruel tactic but it will go a long way in making sure that these immature fanbrats realize that Roy is actually among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to ask fellow Roy supporters here about whether I should start up a new Knights of Elibe group. It would certainly be smaller than the one there (but also a lot more active). It was also give us a sense of community as well.

Once I finish a few more series analysises for my Smash 4 character analysis topic, I want to shift my priorities over to Roy since there is not anyone else stepping up the plate unfortunately. However, I am going to make this a team effort, and I am going make sure every Roy supporter, both recent and veteran from the pre-Brawl days has a role in this.

I'm definately for a new Elibe group. Let's do it!

bobadz

Smash Ace
Its really strange how Chrom supporters come into this thread and troll Roy, and yet vice-versa never happens (Roy supporters coming into Chrom's thread to say he's awful).

This may sound haughty or arrogant, but I think Roy supporters in general are more mature (and probably more intelligent) than many other fanbases for Smash Bros. characters. Its truly ironic given how Roy detractors like to insult Roy supporters for not being "true FE fans" or "being ignorant about FE".

The fact is whether they like to admit it or not, Roy was a very appealing character in Melee, and was probably among the most popular newcomers in that game despite being a clone.

There is also a lot of people that would love to see Roy back, the problem though is that many among the speculator set seem to undersell his chances, and the detractors for Roy and supporters for other FE characters are extremely vocal and loud, and love to voice their opinion in basically every other post.

I hate to say it, but we may have to end up being as loud as they are. Each time one of these people attacks Roy, we eseentially need to dogpile them. It may sound like a cruel tactic but it will go a long way in making sure that these immature fanbrats realize that Roy is actually among the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4.
To answer the first statement this thread is put in the veteran section. As such I think it acts as a place where common curtsey is left at the door.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm game for the group. It'd certainly show there's strong support for Roy on Smashboards as well.

As for Roy fans vs. Chrom fans; it's the few vocal idiots of the latter group that ruin the fanbase of Chrom. I feel sorry for people like Oppossum and some of the other nice, genuine Chrom fans who will get lumped in with the idiots and the fad hoppers. Some of the fad hoppers have already moved from Chrom to Robin.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I'd like it. Heck, I'll even try to help some. Just tell me what you need help with and I'll see if I can help.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm all for a new Knights of Elibe group as well. And, well, you guys know how passionate I am about my our boy... so I'm always here to help in any way I can. ;)

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
meh, know I do kind of do find myself liking Roy a little :\ but I still feel like someone else would get in not Roy but that's what I think o3o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom