• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I always angle mine up by default. Them brawl habits.
Rule of thumb I've found if that if you're fighting a small character (Pikachu) always angle down unless you're pulling an Anti Air on them. If knocking off stage, go high, if shield poking, go low.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Where are you getting that Up-B goes higher?
I don't think the angled Fsmashes have changed, either.
In general, High-angled attacks deal +1 damage (which also increases knockback) and +10° knockback direction (sending higher). Low-angled attacks deal -1% and -10°. The change in direction does not apply to Sakurai-angle moves, like Luigi's ftilt, but the Luigi's low-ftilt has the amusing property of dealing 10 extra shield damage in PM.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I've picked up Luigi lately, what are some good uses for Fireball?

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I've picked up Luigi lately, what are some good uses for Fireball?
Aerial combo continuation
Defensive Zoning
With safe spacing, Fireball->Dash->WD Foward->Ftilt if hitconfirm, JC Grab if shielded, re position towards more advantageous position if otherwise
Damage racking and recovery denial (can be used for hit confirm finisher depending on matchup) for recovering opponents
Recovery Protection when recovering

Also, any of you guys going to Paramount 2015 in Orlando?

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Haven't heard of it, so probably not.

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I've never seen it mentioned and I just figured it out:
The bane of any Luigi is failing a WD, probably the worst form of which is when it comes out as a full jump. However, Cyclone causes Luigi to instantly start falling, as well as provides nice hitboxes and great ground speed on landing. Hence, if you find yourself accidentally jumping, just Cyclone and you'll swiftly return to the ground. Luigi's so floaty that you don't even need react particularly quickly for this to still be faster than waiting out the jump then FF'ing. Of course, Luigi does have some powerful aerials, and Cyclone has punishable endlag, so it would still be a good mixup to opt for the one once your opponent starts to expect the other.

Last edited:

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
S'up Luigi homies, I got a set from one of the local biweekly tournaments we have over here in Columbus recorded and would any of ya mind watching it and give me a opinion of what I'm doing right/wrong? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-aP5XnToVY
Your WD/Waveland work is pretty on point, good stuff man! Combos are pretty good and read punishes were great! Just remember these 2 things:

Don't use Cyclone unless you're 100% sure you won't get punished for the end lag or if you have literally no other choice in order to preserve your stock. I've found that against observant opponents, they'll wait until you jump when you don't want to and consequently Cyclone to get back down where they will punish your end lag.

Don't roll into your opponent. I'm pretty guilty of this myself.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
S'up Luigi homies, I got a set from one of the local biweekly tournaments we have over here in Columbus recorded and would any of ya mind watching it and give me a opinion of what I'm doing right/wrong? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-aP5XnToVY
Yee reppin the Fire Luigi colors ma home dawg

I'd suggest using that slick WD you got for more than just grab combos. Don't use your cyclone that much. I did that before, and once people know how to deal with it, you're screwed. Try using your D-Smash and your F-smash after WD approaching.

Something I tend to do a lot as well is combo F-tilts, try F-tilting into F-tilting into WD shorthop N-air into D-air.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
yo how the actual **** does misfire work in PM
so yesterday in training mode I was messing with misfire, and I think I discovered that you can create quasi-misfires. I think. what I did was hold down sheild for the duration of a full normal misfire (it wasn't flashing green) and then release b after I had stopped vibrating and released the charge. however, when I next used side b, if I just tapped it without charging it, I exploded with knockback and pixel effects similar to a misfire. I was able to get this pseudo-misfire every other time I side-b'ed if I "stored" a fully charged normal side b in between.

this confuses me because
A. I wasn't flashing green at all beforehand
B. I didn't realize that shield did anything to "store" non-misfire side bs
C. I looked in changelists and didn't recognize that this existed

is this a known thing? is this a regularly used thing? is it a glitch that only occurs in debug mode (which was what I was using at the time)? Am I imagining things and can you repeat it?

edit: after further testing I can conclude this isn't actually a thing and that the green flash just doesn't show up in debug mode, along with other things acting wonky

Last edited:

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, we should totally have a Luigi Skype call meetup! I'd love to talk with all of you guys and have some legit discussions about Luigi's matchups. Who's down?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hey guys, we should totally have a Luigi Skype call meetup! I'd love to talk with all of you guys and have some legit discussions about Luigi's matchups. Who's down?
I am entirely down! I tried to join the existing skype group but it doesn't seem to be maintained. Unless perhaps I missed something and a newer group was created.

Last edited:

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
i would be down too. I mostly play luigi in melee but I'm the only one around my area that plays luigi in both games. I would probably benefit from picking you guys' brains about some matchups I have issues with.

Sammy i don't claim to be an amazing player lol but I would say you could totally be more aggressive. You don't approach unless you use down b which I'm guilty of too, but it is easy to read. Try wave dash in with jab to grab, or even dsmash particularly on characters like bowser because they are combo food. Don't forget you can do rising cyclone on stage and it has awesome combo potential. Also you could utilize the fact that luigi can get two sh aerials in one sh and that might help you against bowser because all they do is up b out of shield lol

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I've been experimenting a little.

Every Luigi should realize that Green Missile has terrible priority. However, it may be lesser known that it has 5 frames of invincibility upon release, which overlaps with the first frame of hitbox.

When using it, remember the laws of priority. Since GM is always an aerial attack, it will pass right through melee attacks (which probably means you win, unless they have invincibility), but can clank with projectiles. Unstaled, an uncharged GM does 5%, fully charged does 26%, and Misfire does 25%. If you're out-prioritized then you'll probably just take a hit anyway; if you clank you'll do that stop-in-midair thing and be left open; and if you're in-prioritized you'll fly right through.

One use of this is for close-range Misfires in neutral. If your opponent is approaching and you predict an attack, you can just Misfire in their face. May be a good counter for stuff like Wizard Foot.

Another is for farming Misfires. If the opponent is camping with projectiles, you can just charge GM and release when a projectile is right in front of you, so the shot ends immediately. The opponent can take advantage of this, but they'll have to run into range, and whatever they throw out is liable to go right over you (especially grabs). This can be good for making Samus/Mewtwo/Lucario waste a charged shot, but be wary of the Missile -> Beam combo.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I've been experimenting a little.

Every Luigi should realize that Green Missile has terrible priority. However, it may be lesser known that it has 5 frames of invincibility upon release, which overlaps with the first frame of hitbox.

When using it, remember the laws of priority. Since GM is always an aerial attack, it will pass right through melee attacks (which probably means you win, unless they have invincibility), but can clank with projectiles. Unstaled, an uncharged GM does 5%, fully charged does 26%, and Misfire does 25%. If you're out-prioritized then you'll probably just take a hit anyway; if you clank you'll do that stop-in-midair thing and be left open; and if you're in-prioritized you'll fly right through.

One use of this is for close-range Misfires in neutral. If your opponent is approaching and you predict an attack, you can just Misfire in their face. May be a good counter for stuff like Wizard Foot.

Another is for farming Misfires. If the opponent is camping with projectiles, you can just charge GM and release when a projectile is right in front of you, so the shot ends immediately. The opponent can take advantage of this, but they'll have to run into range, and whatever they throw out is liable to go right over you (especially grabs). This can be good for making Samus/Mewtwo/Lucario waste a charged shot, but be wary of the Missile -> Beam combo.
Wow, never knew about that invincibility. There are actually 2 ways to do a grounded b reversed misfire that can horribly abuse this fact to the point where misfires should be nearly always be a threat. I'll show how to do them in the guide I am making (my recording stuff should get here by the second and then I'l just need a day or two to get footage). Essentially these grounded b reverses let you somewhat safely approach with misfire so you can use them in place of something like a shield slide. Oh, also would you mind if I quoted your post about edge cancelled side B's in my guide Cubelarooso? It is intended to be a guide that covers all intermediate to advanced Luigi techniques.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Of course, go ahead.

One of the best things about abusing the invincibility like that is how surprising it is. It can really throw the opponent off kilter, which is perfect for Luigi.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Idk but I'm wondering how a SM64 jump kick would work for the Mario Bros. as a new Nair for both of them with the same properties as their old Nair's.

People would be raging and salty at first, but I envision people exploiting the new nair and make it rediculously OP if you were to wavedash into it.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I've always liked traditional Sex Kick Nairs. They stand out as distinctly Smash, Melee in particular, and I'm kinda disappointed none of the newcomers got one.

This place ain't dead, btw. Especially if people post.

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I've always liked traditional Sex Kick Nairs. They stand out as distinctly Smash, Melee in particular, and I'm kinda disappointed none of the newcomers got one.

This place ain't dead, btw. Especially if people post.
To be fair Dedede Nair is used a lot like Luigi's, though possibly not in the combo breaker manner. It's a long lingering hit box that covers a large part of his hurtbox, that pops opponents up. If the hit box has lingered it only has a little bit of knock back (perfect for combo's). Like Luigi's one of its best uses is for descending to trade or start a combo.

Oh, now that I think about it you may have meant the attack animation.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mostly meant the animation, since I was also hoping someone would carry on Dr. Mario's mantle, which isn't technically a sex kick. But it's really the whole package that makes wraps the moves all into one iconically-Smash class.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Heylo fellow weegees. I got a question for yah: how do you make that aerial down-B twerk to give Mr. L dat dank recovery? I put my all my D-pads to Special and spin it hard, because otherwise I just cannot press the button fast enough without taking my hand off the controller. I sometimes forget though, and muscle memory makes me press down on the D-Pad (instead of the stick), so I'm wondering what methods you use, in case I'm missing something.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Heylo fellow weegees. I got a question for yah: how do you make that aerial down-B twerk to give Mr. L dat dank recovery? I put my all my D-pads to Special and spin it hard, because otherwise I just cannot press the button fast enough without taking my hand off the controller. I sometimes forget though, and muscle memory makes me press down on the D-Pad (instead of the stick), so I'm wondering what methods you use, in case I'm missing something.
Holy **** sorry I can't answer your question but that dpad trick sounds awesome. How well does it work?​

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** sorry I can't answer your question but that dpad trick sounds awesome. How well does it work?​
It works fine for height (makes it really easy actually), but my issue is getting used to it. I feel like I accidentally fireball instead of down-b because I'm hitting down on the d-pad lol

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I just use my pointer when I need to rise. If I only need to maintain height (for stalling, etc.), I stiffen my thumb, relax my fingers, and use my arm to press. I don't want to switch D-pad because I use it for certain jumps.

Green Missile has some strange behavior on walls. Normally, hitting a wall just causes it to end, which is fairly good for farming Misfires when used out of ledge-drop and into Up-B. However, there's something strange about Skyloft and Lylat. The full animation - hitbox and all - continues after Missiling into their sides. This makes the farming method generally ineffective, with one caveat. If performed with fairly strict timing (which Frame Advance indicates is not about speed) Luigi will grab the ledge right out of GM, as if it were sweet-spotted. This is actually much faster and safer if done correctly than the prior-mentioned method, but is also much harder and more dangerous if messed up.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It works fine for height (makes it really easy actually), but my issue is getting used to it. I feel like I accidentally fireball instead of down-b because I'm hitting down on the d-pad lol
I'm having issues with this. I charge the cyclone, but when I try using the d-pad it doesn't seem to register any inputs, and I just fall. B button works fine though.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Are you using the Full Set or the WiFi version?
You don't have to charge Cyclone in ProM, by the way.
I was using Wifi at the time.

You don't? I could've sworn there was a difference. Good to know.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Then that's probably the problem. 3.5 updated the way the game reads inputs, so that each button corresponds to a unique input. That's what allows spinning the D-pad to work.
However, the PMDT is currently unable to update the way the game records inputs, which is why there's a WiFi version in the first place. Online (or in replays), the other player's game (or your future game) reads what your game records, so it ends up doing the wrong stuff and not working properly if you're using the Full Set. The WiFi version circumvents this problem by using Brawl's method of reading inputs, but that comes at a cost.
In Brawl, and previous versions of Project M, two buttons would be considered the same if they corresponded to the same action. So, say you set each D-pad direction to "Special," pressed Left on the D-pad, then pressed Down while still holding Left, then released Left while still holding Down. The WiFi version would read that as you pressing "Special" once then holding it.

And yeah. Charging was sort of a dumb thing in Melee, especially since there was no indicator and it wasn't required for Mario. So they didn't carry it over to ProM.

Last edited:

Brosef Stylin

Smash Rookie
Recently picked up Luigi as a main, which was kind of out of the blue for me since I was mostly a Falcon/Marth person before. Got gud at wavedashing and L-Canceling, and suddenly Luigi made perfect sense for me. However, I'm still getting the hang of certain matchups. What's your guys' opinion on fighting Peaches and Lucarios? Both have been pretty tough.

otek

Smash Rookie
After having played Mr.R at JST7, I would say that Luigi beats Lucario.

Lucario has to commit to some kind of approach which is easily crouch cancelled. You can even beat his invincible DownB approach with your own, basically anything he can cancel his DownB out of will clank with your DownB, afterwards you can mash Dsmash or anything else. If you happen to get hit by a move, just DI away as far as possible, he shouldn't be able to combo you.
Combobreaker Nair is amazing, Down B is amazing as well.

Lucarios also almost never recover from below because sweetspotting works only from above the ledge afaik, so staying on stage and stuffing their UpB with an ftilt is a solid option. Just beware of his DownB -> auracancel nair, it has good priority.

Top Bottom