• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
So it just me, or does Kirby's down throw completely destroy Luigi? I know floaties in general suffer Kirby's down throw, but is there any way to avoid the follow up? I always get ftilted or upsmashed even though I di up and away from the down throw.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
So it just me, or does Kirby's down throw completely destroy Luigi? I know floaties in general suffer Kirby's down throw, but is there any way to avoid the follow up? I always get ftilted or upsmashed even though I di up and away from the down throw.
DI the living CRAP outta that throw. and try to get the Cyclone to come out so you can get away.

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Hey guys, I've been looking into picking up Luigi partially because he seems really easy to wavedash/waveland with and I was wondering if there's any kind of AT specifically for Luigi that i should look into learning once I've mastered the wavedashing wavelanding and l-canceling.

Any help is appreciated.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been looking into picking up Luigi partially because he seems really easy to wavedash/waveland with and I was wondering if there's any kind of AT specifically for Luigi that i should look into learning once I've mastered the wavedashing wavelanding and l-canceling.

Any help is appreciated.
Learn to be able to move with him. It's a lot harder than you think. And I mean effortlessly going between Dashes and WDs (Alternate Quickly in same direction for maximum speed) to even Dash Dancing. That's by far the most important thing you need to know. I guess outside of that, practice Fireball Wavelands, you'd be surprised the combos Weegee is able to do using those.

I will warn you, he's NOT an easy character to play high level due to how frequently you can screw up an AT and get easily punished.

Last edited:

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
Learn to be able to move with him. It's a lot harder than you think. And I mean effortlessly going between Dashes and WDs (Alternate Quickly in same direction for maximum speed) to even Dash Dancing. That's by far the most important thing you need to know. I guess outside of that, practice Fireball Wavelands, you'd be surprised the combos Weegee is able to do using those.

I will warn you, he's NOT an easy character to play high level due to how frequently you can screw up an AT and get easily punished.

hmm, I'll keep that in mind. thanks for the tips.

also, are luigi's fireballs land canceled like samus's missiles or game and watch's bacon?

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
yeah also get comfortable with his recovery. it can be punished easily if you are not careful but also you can live forever with it. tapping B fast for tornado and sweetspoting side B is essential. Also storing misfire is important as well

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I'd also suggest getting quite comfortable around the ledge. Luigi can wavedash quite far, directly from the ledge, and attack while invincible. He can also edgeguard extremely well by doing a backwards wavedash towards the edge with a tiny bit of fastfalling thrown in (not too much or you'll plummet off to the bottom of the screen). You can even pull off some cheese and wavedash into the ledge and then wavedash right back on the stage just to gain some invincibility. If I had to guess I'd say the ledge and Luigi should be good friends, and that you should practice there a decent amount.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Jumping up and then throwing a fireball is always fun. Also how is teching a hit that would kill you risky? I am not suggesting not going for sweetspot but if you miss it then teching the hit is really the only thing you can do besides just take the hit.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Jumping up and then throwing a fireball is always fun. Also how is teching a hit that would kill you risky? I am not suggesting not going for sweetspot but if you miss it then teching the hit is really the only thing you can do besides just take the hit.
I believe he thinks that you saying "you can always tech the dair if you miss though" means that you think that sweetspotting isn't too essential, and that you can just go for risky techs instead of making certain to sweetspot. I'm guessing that what you realy meant was that you should try your hardest to sweetspot, but if you happen to miss, teching is an option.

Also I really need to experiment with fireballs. Do you guys use it for things other than forcing people to approach?

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
if you alternate between shorthopped and grounded fireballs it makes most heavy slow characters approach (bowser, ganon, dedede).

They are great combo extenteders, combo enders, good for gimping, and can be used to help secure a recovery.

Also it is good for making your opponent do anything. For example if you opponent doesn't tech on a platform/teching on a platform try to throw a fireball across it. It forces them to make an action / get him by the fireball and you can follow up from there.

Here is an example of combo ender at 3:05 ish.... I will try to find more of the examples and update this post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xinQlLSuS5k&list=PLyaYqOyMQvIHF_bA_hiWGou-95hjCNOGu&index=4

I have a couple of old videos of me playing on this channel.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I believe he thinks that you saying "you can always tech the dair if you miss though" means that you think that sweetspotting isn't too essential, and that you can just go for risky techs instead of making certain to sweetspot. I'm guessing that what you realy meant was that you should try your hardest to sweetspot, but if you happen to miss, teching is an option.

Also I really need to experiment with fireballs. Do you guys use it for things other than forcing people to approach?
Haha yeah, what this guy said about what I said.

Also, about fireballs, so if you take the time to learn how to do perfect alternation between WD and Dash, you can use this for maximum speed/acceleration. Using this, I've found if you plop a ground fireball and you Dash->WD immediately forward, you can pull off a Ftilt if they get hit, otherwise, just shield slide and choose your options appropriately.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
if you alternate between shorthopped and grounded fireballs it makes most heavy slow characters approach (bowser, ganon, dedede).

They are great combo extenteders, combo enders, good for gimping, and can be used to help secure a recovery.

Also it is good for making your opponent do anything. For example if you opponent doesn't tech on a platform/teching on a platform try to throw a fireball across it. It forces them to make an action / get him by the fireball and you can follow up from there.

Here is an example of combo ender at 3:05 ish.... I will try to find more of the examples and update this post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xinQlLSuS5k&list=PLyaYqOyMQvIHF_bA_hiWGou-95hjCNOGu&index=4

I have a couple of old videos of me playing on this channel.
Ah, I've been trying fireball in the middle/end of a combo and it is indeed working slight wonders. Guess I underestimated the friendly little ball of fire. Sounds like there is a lot of fireball tech I should learn- thanks for the advice!

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Ah, I've been trying fireball in the middle/end of a combo and it is indeed working slight wonders. Guess I underestimated the friendly little ball of fire. Sounds like there is a lot of fireball tech I should learn- thanks for the advice!
Also, thanks for the cool trick Broasty- sounds like a safe but useful technique.

Oh my this post came out wrong, didn't even mean to double post in the first place. Please excuse my ineptitude as I attempt to get rid of it. Is there even a way to delete your own post?

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
After watching Eddie Mexico awhile back at SSS in Melee and having a local player here in Illinois, Sago, play Luigi... I'm picking up my favorite plumber. I already know basics such as some BnB combos like Wavedash>Dsmash and Wavedash>ftilt. I know storing misfires, don't need to charge up your down B like in Melee. Anything you guys can tell me to help utilize Luigi more? He's honestly my most fun character now right next to Samus. I was doing really well with him to, literally picked him up last night and was doing well against an Ike player who just placed 9th Wednesday in a 46 person weekly at EXP.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
After watching Eddie Mexico awhile back at SSS in Melee and having a local player here in Illinois, Sago, play Luigi... I'm picking up my favorite plumber. I already know basics such as some BnB combos like Wavedash>Dsmash and Wavedash>ftilt. I know storing misfires, don't need to charge up your down B like in Melee. Anything you guys can tell me to help utilize Luigi more? He's honestly my most fun character now right next to Samus. I was doing really well with him to, literally picked him up last night and was doing well against an Ike player who just placed 9th Wednesday in a 46 person weekly at EXP.
I'd say practice wavedashes with him in 30 minute chunks whenever you have a chance until you are extremely comfortable transitioning between his wavedashes and attacks (including aerials). It's also quite important to learn the different lengths possible with Luigi's wavedash, especially the max distance wavedash because it opens up tons of options you would not otherwise have. It is also very important to thoroughly know the hitboxes of Luigi's up tilt and up air since they are amazing for combos, and his down special is a really good approach mixup. If you mash b a little bit at the end of a grounded down b you'll pop up in the air a bit which 1) lets you chase any opponent you knocked up with the attack or 2) lets you avoid a counterattack if you hit their shield, and you can then use another aerial if you wish. There are lots of mixups available like wavedashing towards your opponent with your shield up (I heard it works really well against Marth). I'd also advise that you learn how to waveland on platforms since it makes it far easier to advance against certain people, especially projectile spammers. Finally in terms of recovery it is really important to learn how to sweet spot both the side b and the up b, and you may also want to save your double jump until you are right near the stage because Luigi's recovery is predictable without it. Beyond that I don't know what to suggest since I'm still a newcomer to Luigi myself.

By the way, did you guys know that B reversing isn't only for in the air? You all likely know this, but if you wavedash forwards you can b reverse a fireball while still on the ground due to Luigi's low traction- seems like it could be useful.

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I'd say practice wavedashes with him in 30 minute chunks whenever you have a chance until you are extremely comfortable transitioning between his wavedashes and attacks (including aerials). It's also quite important to learn the different lengths possible with Luigi's wavedash, especially the max distance wavedash because it opens up tons of options you would not otherwise have. It is also very important to thoroughly know the hitboxes of Luigi's up tilt and up air since they are amazing for combos, and his down special is a really good approach mixup. If you mash b a little bit at the end of a grounded down b you'll pop up in the air a bit which 1) lets you chase any opponent you knocked up with the attack or 2) lets you avoid a counterattack if you hit their shield, and you can then use another aerial if you wish. There are lots of mixups available like wavedashing towards your opponent with your shield up (I heard it works really well against Marth). I'd also advise that you learn how to waveland on platforms since it makes it far easier to advance against certain people, especially projectile spammers. Finally in terms of recovery it is really important to learn how to sweet spot both the side b and the up b, and you may also want to save your double jump until you are right near the stage because Luigi's recovery is predictable without it. Beyond that I don't know what to suggest since I'm still a newcomer to Luigi myself.

By the way, did you guys know that B reversing isn't only for in the air? You all likely know this, but if you wavedash forwards you can b reverse a fireball while still on the ground due to Luigi's low traction- seems like it could be useful.
Thanks for the tips! Movement with any character is definitely something everyone should practice. I still do it myself with Samus and I've been playing her since Melee (a large break between Melee and PM but you get my point). B reversing is an awesome addition from Brawl. I was already utilizing it with Luigi yesterday and I do it all the time with Samus' charge shot. I'm guessing Luigi's hitbox data works in BrawlBox? I'm only asking since Kirby's outright makes it crash and I haven't really bothered with Samus since its roughly the same from Melee.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Yeah, BrawlBox works, although I don't think there's much more difference for Luigi than Samus.

On the topic of sweetspotting, I think it's good to get a feel for Luigi's ledgegrab range. It extends much farther out and down than one might visually assume, and that can be a great tool against certain edgeguards.

Man, I wish I could've gone. Tell them to move the next CEO to Georgia pls
Any Luigis going to Tipped Off?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Yeah, BrawlBox works, although I don't think there's much more difference for Luigi than Samus.

On the topic of sweetspotting, I think it's good to get a feel for Luigi's ledgegrab range. It extends much farther out and down than one might visually assume, and that can be a great tool against certain edgeguards.

Any Luigis going to Tipped Off?
I might be able to depending on when and where it is.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
So how do you guys personally deal with the :ganondorf:MU? I fell like I can die pretty easily from his Fair at around 70%-80%. I know you can pretty much win by not approaching but its hard for me not to.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
So how do you guys personally deal with the :ganondorf:MU? I fell like I can die pretty easily from his Fair at around 70%-80%. I know you can pretty much win by not approaching but its hard for me not to.
Ganon is surprisingly hard. It's weird because I have to be more methodical in this mu than some others, and many consider ganon to be the worst char in this game. Although I don't agree with that sentiment.

To be honest I'm not 100% how to deal with this mu. I normally just throw out fireballs because of ganon's hatred of projectiles and just try to bait out fair and down/side b.

TFO

Smash Cadet
I feel as though Luigi is stronger than most people give him credit for. Sadly, he is currently outclassed by others with similar advantages. Lets hope a dedicated Luigi player can cause a stir soon. Has there been any Luigis other than Vist's small stunt at Xanadu that have found success?
When somebody tells you that anybody is bad because they're low on the tier list, don't listen to them. Tier lists are bogus because (I think) they rank characters by how often they're used in tournaments and how much a couple pro players "of the same skill" win with the specific character. Because Luigi just happens to not be a character everybody uses, and has weird physics, he gets a low rank on the tier list.

TFO

Smash Cadet
How do you beat a :ganondorf: that just sits in a crouch and constantly waits for you to come at him (and obviously crouch cancels everything) I get him to move sometimes by projectile spamming but most of the time he just kicks my fireballs and they disappear . I also can sometimes WD in with my shield and grab him but I need some other strategies! Whenever I get in range, he just D-tilts me away with that stupid big boot.
IMO, I think :ganondorf: is actually one of Luigi's harder mu's

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ganons that go in are easy because you can just react and then combo to 80 percent.
Patient ganons are balls because they have the range and hit hard. What I like to do is just do some wavedash fireballs to get hits and bait out a laggy move. Be careful of Wizard kick when you do that because it hits like a bus. However iirc cyclone clashes with Wizard kick and you have the advantage. Either way be weary Ganon can get yah.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
What sucks more for me is that I have some of the best :ganondorf:players in my region. Arty (who has beaten Kels in one of our monthlies), MerzA, DLA, Trail. I wish that MU wasn't in his favor.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Here's a secret:
D-angled f-tilt has an extra 10 shield damage.
Give this man a cookie!

Oh man guys, I've been putting a lot of stuff I've developed in the lab out on the streets, and it's freaking amazing what Luigi is capable of! Once I solidify the playstyle developed, I'll make a video showing all the new techs and all the options so you can make Luigi even more offensive than you've ever imagined!

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I've also been experimenting with him in the lab. People don't expect the hidden techniques luigi actually has. It's amazing..if only I had software for making videos, I'd also show what I've learned with him in PM

Last edited:
Top Bottom