• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
so whens the first tourny...lots of new ppl now
I could have one set up easily, but when it comes to attendance and prize money, I'd have a little difficulty.

1. Since the facility I use for tourneys is in New Orleans, all of the normal Laf and other somewhat distant places would have a long drive, and I'm sure it's not worth it for most of them.

2. The only way I can use the facility is with permission of my church. My CYO leader-person-lady can get me use of the building. The problem is that, since I'm in the CYO, they'd want it to be a fund raiser. And the funds would probably come from the entrance fees, which would make the pot smaller.

If I could solve these two problems, then I could probably hold a tournies often.

Sudai

Stuff here
Sudai vs Lee = 2 - 3
Zelda vs Ike = 1 - 1
Zelda vs Sonic = 1 - 1
Snake vs Pit = 0 - 1
Sudai + Lee vs Any other team = Pwn - 0
Din's fire from behind Pit spamming arrows = too good.

Online lag sucks bad.

Gnuf plays a weird Lucas. Need to get used to that.

Gonna try to get to Dibbz....try try try... Bah mom. Anyway. What time do you guys all normally get there?

Edit: Oh. Sudai + Lee as DK + DK = lmao wtf lose.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
i had to play a weird lucas b/c i really didnt know what to do with zelda. i only played a zelda main like once and he owned me with dins fire. so you gave me some ideas on how to counter, kind of. i tried to play sonic but it just didnt cut it online

gg btw. it was fun

D

Deleted member

taylor + vaughn > sudai + lee
for no reason.
so we had an extremely belated christmas party and i got drunk on free beer, and made some pro *** pool shots (i missed more easy shots than i did ridiculous ones), and showed my amazing (to noobs) ddr skills (or lack there of?). fun time but now im tired and drunk. wooo.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
Me and JP got you and Lee a few times, Sudai, so it definitely isn't pwn - 0. More like pwn - able to count on one hand.

Lee, it was awesome playing you, you're too **** good and you're Pit is downright frightening. I am gonna go ahead and john on the lag though, PKT2 is hard sometimes with lag :urg:

gnuf, I'd like to play you sometime to see how different your Lucas is from mine, maybe I'm doing it totally wrong :shrug:

Being a fat lazy *****, I love Brawl. I can play tons of people without having to step out my front door, that's so nice I don't even care how ****ty the lag is...although it is ****ty. 'cause **** it, it's only a video game.

Also, Sudai, stop playing said friend and just come over to my place. No scrub Wolf, no pro 5yo Sonic, just mano y mano.

Sudai

Stuff here
Almost 10k post in this thread...lol

Taylor, your DDR skills are much better than mine and I still draw Oohs and Aahs from people. A lot of people just really don't see many good players at the game. (I am by no means good at DDR. 6-7 footer max ftl)

Gnuf, we'll have to play some more some time. I don't get how you got ***** by Din's fire though. Psi Magnet = free 10-16% recovered. lol.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
Gnuf, we'll have to play some more some time. I don't get how you got ***** by Din's fire though. Psi Magnet = free 10-16% recovered. lol.
I knew that PSIM absorbed din's fire:p. When i tried to do it (maybe a total of 5 times) i always got hit, so i started thinking that it didn't. Guess i'll have to try harder!

I'll play anytime you want.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, it does. You have plenty of time to pop it up once you see Zelda start to summon the fireball. And unless you're right next to her, you'll be done putting the thing away before she can punish you for it too.

D

Deleted member

i had gotten to the point that the only song i had left to pass on extreme was PSMO but now im rly out of shape. i tried max 300 and about 10 seconds into it the game froze because the machine at don carters (or celebrate bowl? o.O) sucks. then i made it mostly through paranoia 270 which is the easiest **** ever, and die about 9 seconds before the end.

i mean, i was drunk johns. i dont think i ever felt like i was going to die that much.

Yorenec

Smash Cadet
Bump.

Funfun matches tonight.

Me and Shy getting owned by Lee's Marth 2v1= we suck.

Shy, I hate your Pikachu with a passion. Your Pit too.

I also literally **** bricks when I managed to pull off that comeback versus your Falco, didn't think it was going to happen at all.

That Corneria match was also probably one of the most randomly ******** things I've ever done in my life. The stupid arwings wouldn't let me camp properly :(.

I also probably would have lost most of those G&W matches if I hadn't fought Slim's G&W for like five hours straight the night before.

D

Deleted member

apparently lucas is my new best. hes also the char i most enjoy playing. houma and no be afraid. be very afraid.

and if houma or no coming to la for the tourney on the 19th?

peace my brothas

Sudai

Stuff here
So.. Me and Lee = Awesome Team. Especially when we're Zelda + Ness. Din's Fire spam + psi magnet = win. Chasing with Din's Fire AND PK Thunder = Double win.

Also.. Me and Ken = Awesome Team. Doing so many ******** team combos tonight, but we only got beat once and we were Tink + Mario. No idea how we lost that. XP

*advertisement* www.allisbrawl.com
-Go to it. Play a bunch of people. Get better. Be able to compete with the better people in Louisiana.
-Search for the Louisiana Group. Join it.
-Join the Sveet League and hope you aren't in me or Lee's pool.

D

Deleted member

sudai, why dont you ever come play at vaughn/eric's house? no lag ftw.
also what was that brawl league eric posted back when the game came out or right before it?
it's obviously not the same thing but im curious. it said it had a max of 1600 participants.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I should have info on a possible Gameware tournament by the end of tomorrow. I think it's supposed to be in a couple of weeks, here in BR.

eet

Smash Ace
sorry, ive been lazy and havent added a lot of you to our wii. Its just easy when you live with some of the best smashers or they all come over every night lol

but im adding the whole list now, and going to allisbrawl.com?

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking quite a bit lately about Brawl's stages. It being so early in the game, there isn't a generally accepted list of Bans, Counterpicks, and Neutrals. Seeing how we have tournaments coming up, what do people think about possible stage lists? We have 41 stages, plus the potential for custom stages. For now though, I'm not interested in custom stages.

In developing a list to use in my tournaments, I'd first rather determine what makes a stage neutral, counterpick, or banned than look at each stage on its own. I think this would help create a more uniform stage set. That said, there is quite the variety in Brawl's stages, so after finding general criteria for banned, counterpick, and neutral stages, some stages should be considered individually.

Neutral stage

To me, a neutral stage is typically easy to define. There are no damaging stage hazards, stage movement is minimal (no scrolling or sudden shifts), there isn't a significant random element (Poke Stadium Melee is an example of acceptable randomness), and there are no permanent major obstructions (such as walls).

Banned and Counterpick stages

A stage should be banned if there is a moderate to strong random element (how Mushroomy Kingdom might be a different stage altogether at random is a good example of this, so is New Pork City's monster); permanent walls (I feel that they support degenerative techs, such as DDD infinite chain grab, many neutral A inifinites, Fox's shine inifinite); unreasonably unavoidable stage hazards, especially those which can KO at ridiculously low percents and give variable or no warning; and any stage which is conducive to degenerative play (An example of this is using Fox on Hyrule in Melee to laser spam for a damage lead and then run away until time gives victory. The only way [theoretically] to beat this is to go Fox and do the same. I hope this gives and idea of what I mean).

Basically, it's okay for stages to hurt (and KO) players. Hazards may appear in a random order, too. However, hazards should be predictable, like the canons in the Great Sea stage.

That said, any stage that doesn't fall under neutral or banned should be considered counterpick. It's acceptable for gameplay, but not for the random stage that starts a match.

Walk-off edges

I didn't mention walk-offs above because I honestly don't know what's fair to do with them. In Melee, a few things (notably Fox's waveshine) got all walk-offs banned from nearly every major tournament. However, things are not the same in Brawl. Sure, some characters may be able to backthrow at a low percent for a quick kill, but it's not gamebreaking. Right now, I do not see a problem with temporary walk-offs, like in Delfino Plaza. I personally don't think they will be a big deal, and stages with walk-offs, like Yoshi's Island (Melee), should be allowed, maybe even considered neutral. Then again, I haven't played as much as some people, and I do not know how such stages may or may not be abused (other than DDD's chain grab).

My list right now would look something like this:

Neutral: 7

Battlefield
FD
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Counterpick: 21

Delfino
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Eldin
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Banned: 13

Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Wario Ware
New Pork City
Summit (? Ice Climbers' stage)
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island
Big Blue
Onett
Hyrule Temple

I want to be generous with the list at first, because the stages haven't been fully tested in tournament settings. Sure, some are obvious bans, like Wario Ware, but not all of them.

But yeah, I'd like to know what other people think and hear your reasoning for what's fair and what's not. Whatever come of this discussion may end up shaping my tournaments for a while, so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sudai

Stuff here
Important parts in color. I've been in a few tournaments online. Most like 5 neutrals (taking out both PKMN stadiums and putting them into counterpicks) and despite the windmill change from Melee to Brawl in PKMN Stadium 1, I still think it should be neutral. All but one have had all other stages as counter picks, though I like your banned list for the most part.

Neutral: 7 -1 = 6
Battlefield
FD
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2 - I've generally seen this as a counterpick. The wind and lightning stage transformations completely change the way you're going to be fighting thought a fight. One changes the physics of the game while the other makes gimping easier. (Knock someone down on a belt and they are basically forced to fall off the stage.)
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Counterpick: 21 + 1 - 1 = 21
Delfino
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls - Banned. It changes gameplay from "Kill your opponent" to "Survive the stage while keeping your opponent away from you." I might consider it neutral if not for the spikes on the stage and the seemingly random "Speed up!" element to it.
Eldin
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Skyworld
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i got to test my skills versus nola.
i seem to go about even with john DK/Ice vs his Ike/Link, DJ's Meta, and Ricky's...well..he plays alot of characters. I dont think his toon is as good as others i've seen, but he plays a very smart Lucario that gives me trouble.

maybe its that n00by-arrogance complex but i feel pretty confident in a tournament setting against everyone though. =]
----------------------------------------------------

after sat and sun, i've requested off 3 weeks from OliveGarden so i can hang out with my friends for a bit again. I'd like to take a trip to BR and get to hang w/ you guys, even outside the whole smash thing.

---------------------------------------------------

and in the most important news...if anyone has noticed my absence...i was in FL to meet my online friend, Megan. As harsh as an emotionless ******* and logical materialist that i am, what i'm capalbe of would certainly surprise everyone, especially myself. Every second was perfect with her. Since we locked eyes for the first time, there was never an ackward moment, and with each hour we spent it felt like months together, with our 6 year buildup of knowing each other online. We moved so fast, it just felt so natural. We gave alot to each other, in every respect of which that can be interpreted...and when it came to our last meal before she had to bring me to the airport, i started crying because i was missing her already. At the airport was probably the hardest thing i've done in my life. She could only follow me so far..until the security checkpoint....and it was a long line, that left us gradually parting further and further away. probably the hardest thing i've doen in my life. i put on my sunglasses to hide my eyes from everyone.
We'll be together again though, for good, i'm sure. She wants to move here, go to school w/ me, but i know its going to be difficult for her. She's been homeschooled the 2nd half of her life, and she has to take the ACT and get her parents approval and financial support for this. They have yet to know about me, and...they can't. They're very conservative folk that live on a farm basically. But it'll work out, i know it will, cuz me and megan both want it too ****ing much. =]
-----------------------------------
moral of the story is, i dont really care about anything else right now, lol
oh yea, and beer at the Miami airport bar, is 5.25 a bottle (and thats budlight), Corona was 6, lol.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I can see what you're saying about PS2. The gravity change does last a decent while, but I don't know how significant that is. The conveyor belts might knock someone off the edge, but I'm pretty sure that you just grab the edge right afterwards. Anyways, PS2 is definitely a debatable neutral/ counterpick.

Rumble Falls is also iffy. I know the speed ups aren't the same all the time, but it tells you speed up some number of times, which I'd hope corresponds to how fast it goes (or it's the same rate each time it speeds up). I really don't see a problem with having to keep up with the stage while fighting. That is just a matter of being competent and knowing the stage. Sure, some characters may have horrible trouble keeping up, but that's the nature of counterpicks: they can strongly favor one character over another. The spikes are definitely dangerous, but they're stationary relative to the stage. I think the spikes are more of a problem than the speed up. I'll probably test the stage out some in order to see how random the speed ups are.

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
and in the most important news...if anyone has noticed my absence...i was in FL to meet my online friend, Megan. As harsh as an emotionless ******* and logical materialist that i am, what i'm capalbe of would certainly surprise everyone, especially myself. Every second was perfect with her. Since we locked eyes for the first time, there was never an ackward moment, and with each hour we spent it felt like months together, with our 6 year buildup of knowing each other online. We moved so fast, it just felt so natural. We gave alot to each other, in every respect of which that can be interpreted...and when it came to our last meal before she had to bring me to the airport, i started crying because i was missing her already. At the airport was probably the hardest thing i've done in my life. She could only follow me so far..until the security checkpoint....and it was a long line, that left us gradually parting further and further away. probably the hardest thing i've doen in my life. i put on my sunglasses to hide my eyes from everyone.
We'll be together again though, for good, i'm sure. She wants to move here, go to school w/ me, but i know its going to be difficult for her. She's been homeschooled the 2nd half of her life, and she has to take the ACT and get her parents approval and financial support for this. They have yet to know about me, and...they can't. They're very conservative folk that live on a farm basically. But it'll work out, i know it will, cuz me and megan both want it too ****ing much. =]
Welcome back dude and I wish the best of luck to you on your long distant relationship. I admire the courage it takes to give Love of a shot over the internet and actually meet up with that someone in RL...I guess I just got lucky and found Love the old fashion way in person my senior year in high school(which was 5 and half years ago) (we went to rivalry High Schools but she was always at my schools dances)...which some may not consider so lucky but every relationship and situation has it's advantages and disadvantages. But as long as the good outway the bad then your good to go and it's worth fighting for.

as far as stages go...I agree with the list exept for the 2 stages that Sudia commented on...I wouldn't want to play on Poke Stadium 2 or Rumble Falls in a tourney...but I guess I could roll with the punches if I showed up to a tourney that had those 2 stages in it

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
***, i just worked 8 hours on 2 hrs sleep.It was a doozy. i think im falling in love with my job coach, shes a 36 year old black woman, but i thought she was like 25 when i first saw her, i dunno shes awsome i like being around her, i dunno i think shes dating some black dude though lol, oh well

is anbody doing the smash wars online tourney thing tomorow? what time do u have to singn in?
peace out

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
***, i just worked 8 hours on 2 hrs sleep.It was a doozy. i think im falling in love with my job coach, shes a 36 year old black woman, but i thought she was like 25 when i first saw her, i dunno shes awsome i like being around her, i dunno i think shes dating some black dude though lol, oh well

is anbody doing the smash wars online tourney thing tomorow? what time do u have to singn in?
peace out
ROFL!!!! dude you are all over the place :laugh:

I have no clue on the tourney thing but I'll check it out once I get home

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Yo, I'll be at dibbz tonight till 10. So if anyone needs a reason to go and play Brawl, Melee or whatever, I'll be there.

lol, same time post

D

Deleted member

shyg= too good. i love him.

and cyphus, im earnestly delighted for you. im almost gay, so such a thing makes me rly happy. cant wait till you come hang out down here. and for the record, you should probably look into writing a romance novel; for real.

so like, im going to zippy's and getting steak nachos. im so hungry.
okthxbai

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
my internet went down yesterday, probably wont be back on till monday. im just bumming off of someone's internet with barely a signal...-_-

i wanted to play in the tournies =\

Top Bottom