• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Jackets

Smash Rookie
yo cyphus, maybe we can hit up Dibbz for some training one of those days. Whatcha think?

Avery

Smash Cadet
Alright, this mainly is going to go out towards the N.O. crew, but anyone is welcome if you have the time,money, and transportation.

Firstly, it seems as though a good bit of us plan on going to the Esplanade Tournament Wednesday. I spoke with Sars earlier who wants to attend (Possibly with Audi?) Austin spoke with Cyphus, Lee, mysterious friend who Lee claims is awesome who are also coming from what I understood. I'm sure Matt, and Kile who are regulars there plan to go, but if something would keep you guys from going try hard to make it. Me and Austin will most likely go, going to be hard regulating our sleep between tomorrow and Wednesday seeing as were going camp for Wii(s). Anyways last weeks tourney was fun, but hopefully more of N.O. can show up this time. I'll get in touch with La Place (Chad,Pierre, Kerry) and determine whether they are going or not. So I hope this weeks tournament has a better influence of N.O. smashers (points at Sars XD).

Besides Wednesday,

Saturday may be a Dibbz get together which everyone should feel free to attend, its not set in stone yet, but it was mainly time for **** and London Forces to get casuals in, but anyone should feel free to show. Not sure about a time seeing as It's not a definite thing yet, but if it does happens, Dibbz has 2 large TV's which are normally a hassle to take control of (both that is) but if we do happen to get both we could possibly hold another Dibbz unofficial tourney. So I'll have more news on Dibbz tomorrow probably after talking to London Forces more and figuring out how **** is going to fair in the situation.

Avery

Smash Cadet
Esplanade Tournament Wednesday 1/03/07

This will mainly be aimed at the N.O. smash crew, but anyone from BR, Houma, or Laffy feel free to show if you have the time,transportation and money.

Weekly Esplanade Tournaments:

Entrance: $5, Re-Entry $5

Details:

Re-Entry Available throughout first round only.
5 Stock.
Final Destination Only.(No other maps allowed.)
One Match (Not best 2/3).

Yes the rules are not regulation, but normally theres not much to complain about.

Prize(s):
*All prizes will be rewarded in the form of store credit!*
1st: Number of Competitors x 5, cannot exced $100 store credit.
2nd: Less than or equal to $50 store credit.

*All Entrance recepits automatically turn into store credit, giving you $5 of your money back in the form of a random crappy game!*

As of now, a lot of N.O. seems to be attending this weeks tournament, as well as Cyphus and Lee from what I understand. So its just a matter of talking to people now, I'm sure Matt and Kile are going to come, I need to clarify with Sars if he and Audi can make it, The **** will be there ^_^.

So if you need any information, or want to come to the tournament feel free to give me a call (504) 559-0014.

Also sorry for the short notice, its not going to be a major tourney or anything amazing, but last week we all had a good time so if you can make it feel free to come.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I always go to the esplenade tourneys, so I'll see you guys there. Also, I learned that they have tourneys at clearview every thursday that start at 5 (thats what the sign said). Lastly, I would really LOVE to know when you are all going to dibbz... if you are all going on that saturday post something so I can show up.

O yeah, did anyone record the tourney matches from Baton Rouge?

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Only FD? Well, that doesn't seem very fair. That's not even practical (and don't even get me started on how fun it seems). Who the hell came up with that?

Sudai

Stuff here
Cyphus, you should come up to BR on Thursday~ :D

We would need to set up something of course, but I want to play Thursday since I'm off work and the GF will be out of time.

Sudai

Stuff here
Done with the Elo points~ I'm gonna make a new thred for it~ "LA Power Rankings (Based on Elo)"

It'll have full explinations of the way Elo works as well as links that'll help people understand it better. :x

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
me and lee are going to NewOrleans tomorrow..prolly make it to that esplanade tournament, and then go to ricky's place for the night.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather play only FD than imba stages like Battlefield and YS.
YOU would rather play on FD than Battlefield and YS. I'D rather play on Dreamland 64 and FoD. Other people would rather play on Corneria or PokeStadium. Who is one person to say that these stages aren't as good (I use good as a loose term, of course) as FD, or any stage(I'm not talking about you, since you didn't make the descision, I'm talking about whoever actually made it)? Some people have advantages that come from platforms. Some people's entire strategy comes from the stages they play on, from how they play to what character they get. It's not fair to some people who don't have the right character to play on FD.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm not saying the FD-only system is "right" answer...but given time constrictions where u only get 1 round, FD is far and beyond the best choice.

You might have a couple characters that excell on it like falco and samus, but you DON'T have a character that cannot perform well on it. You don't get that luxury on platform level.

One reason the top tier are top tier is because they excel with platforms. (Take a good look at them), Platforms are hugely the majority of Smash Bros. Melee, and it is no wonder that the top tier are select characters that aren't bothered by them at all.
Go further down the tier list, and u find more and more charactes that suffer from them than not.
...So...at least when the only available stage is FD, your non-top tier such as DK can better hold their own against spacies with his shuffled UpAir combos, on FD ganon doesn't get trapped above platforms vs. marth, and so on and so forth.
With sole-FD you can blame a match on "stupid level"
well u could, but that would be just stupid.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
The notion of Samus exceling on FD is a common misconception. She needs platforms as much as Ganon does.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
tournament at esplanade mall: game trader @ 6pm.....come give us ur money, BatonRouge.
Me and Lee will be there.
afterward me and lee going to crash the night at ricky's place for some steamy buttsex.

Avery

Smash Cadet
Firstly, I'm glad to hear some of BR might come, it would be nice meeting and smashing with any of you who make it.

Secondly, I want to announce a Dibbz meeting day

Saturday the **** (Jackets+Myself) are going to Dibbz to casual with London Forces (Sars+Audi+Lozer?!) but we just wanted to extend the invite to anyone outside of town, and anyone else willing to come. Battousai, Matt,and Kile all seem like they want to go so they will most likely be there as well.

Dibbz is a PC Cafe located on Veterans Blvd. here in New Orleans. They have 2 large TVs which are completely free to play on. Refreshments are available for purchase but Fast Food is located nearly literally across the street.

Anyone is welcome to come, so feel free to head over to Dibbz for casuals and we'll treat you to some Bawls!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>___>

*Back from gametrader, trying to watch football, dead tired*

Yeah . . . So Cyphus and Lee are too good XD

Kalzar

Smash Cadet
this is setsuma posting from kalzar's name, but yeah, cyphus im sorry, i love you and youre awesome, but youre not making anymore power rankings reason being is because you dont know how good people are because you live in houma and you usually never play anyone besides in tournys so i think someone else should make the power rankings or tier list whatever it is. anyway im awesome. laterz

Sudai

Stuff here
Eric, Taylor, and even myself have aided in said tierlist, not to mention many other people I'm sure Cyphus has talked to, sooooo, your point is moot. Anyway, I'm making the power rankings with Elo..just need more data..

If anyone has brackets/pools from previous tournaments~ post them for me? :D

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Sets, I know what you're saying, but I'd like to point out that it's not just Cyphus that makes the 'hypothesis rankings' (as I like to call them). Hell, EET's one of them, and you know he gets around.
BTW, any word on when Brawl is coming out?

Jackets

Smash Rookie
gah, you suck yawara. imma see if i can come pick you up, but its not a definate thing.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
info regarding latest tier list

criticism, questions, ideas, are all welcome. I do post the tier lists, but its not entirely my call. I take what i currently have, make my own changes and then see what other players think. Lee, Taylor, Eet, etc give their comments, and 90% the time i see their logic and then agree to their changes. This latest update however has NOT been shared w/ other people for advice, so this is why i post it HERE for EVERYONE to give their ideas.

for the sake of debate and boredom, i'll defend some of the reasonings behind the recent changes.

Tier 1: Lee, Cyphus, John
Tier 2: Ricky, Taylor, Ray, Eet
Tier 3: Blaise, Flarefox, Mary, RSIA, Nicknyte

basically, i figured 3 tiers is best, cuz any more and it just becomes a big mess and less accurate and easily argued on tiny place movements and confusion as to where to draw a whole new tier.

Its NOT so much that Taylor has gotten worse, but moreso Ricky, Ray, and John have deffinately improved- Ricky (mario and fox) and Ray(sheik and half the low tiers), are deffinately to the skill level of Taylor, and John going even w/ Lee's Fox and my Falco has stepped up as well (while lee's sheik and my Doc usually win though, it prolly would be in his favor if we played on stages other than FD)

Starting in Tier 3, Blaise and Flarefox have both consistently placed high in tournaments and both taken rounds against players in Tier 2 and even 1. Flarefox's current affiliation w/ smash isn't entirely known, but assuming his skill was at least where he left off i think most would agree on his position.

i'm not sure if Mary has already retired or not, but from my experience against him, i found him really good. In the ****ty tournament we had at his apartment he brought me to my last stock a round. He has good tech, mindgames, and most importantly- his game is consistent, he doesn't seem to make horrible goofs..and when he did, he just moved on and didn't let it effect the rest of the match.

RSIA on the otherhand is very inconsistent, since sometimes he gets pwned and other times goes even with tier 2. Problem though is, how good is he now since he's been out of the game for a long time. One can only imagine he may have lagged behind, which is why i put Mary right above him, cuz at his best, i'd assume him a notch or 2 above.

Nicknyte, no matter what u say, is good now. He's improved alot and become alot smarter and more patient playing marth alot like John now. From me and lee's own last experience w/ him, we had many close matches w/ him, a few he won that i blame underestimation. NEVERTHELESS, that ****ing counts for something in my book! ;P

---
NOW as far as people left out that people think should be in Tier 3, i ask what have they done to equal the other Tier 3 players? I mean, i'm not an enlightened smash-oni, but i'm not stupid... i can tell when someone really threatens me in a match, and i can tell when i easily control the flow of battle and just sandbag til the win.

Dustin, Setsuma, Sudai, Sars, Audi, Everpower, etc, etc, etc are all good players but i think tier 3 has done something to at least separate them a tiny bit. The tier list doesn't say that Tier 4 can't beat tier 3.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure ANYONE in tier 4 can beat anyone in tier 3 in the right match, but they're consistency is simply put- not as good. And its w/out that consistency and "i don't know how to fight this character, i hate this level, zomg i messed up!!11" that Tier 3 seems to have a little more under control.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Setsuma, u deffinately donnot always perfrom so hot, amirite? look at the last tournament. I believe most people would know what i'm talking about when i say that you say "oh my god, i can't *insert smash term*!" pretty commonly in matches.

Using Nicknyte as in example: if he can get the job done w/ a character that has no technical difficulty, than all the more power to him. but i think good players can deffinately feel a difference off their oponents control and carelessness- and thats usually a safe judgement. and if those mistakes only happen when they're nervous/etc, than...well...that sounds like a pretty bad weakness that shouldn't be excused, u know?

AGAIN. The tier list is NEVER finalized. It aims to be improved and updated, so critism, ideas, comments, questions, insults, buttsex are all welcome!

Top Bottom