• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
I firmly agree with your assessment and I personally think they will give Pika some loving in the next update. It's important to remember that this patch was more a design refocus than it was a balance patch.

Even Axe was really upset with those nerfs, and he doesn't even play Pikachu against their best PM players anymore, he basically just plays Marth/Falco. Even if PMBR's intent was to cut down burst movement I think Pikachu was the one character that deserved to have it. That kinda was his "thing".

Similarly EVERYONE dropped Meta Knight for the same reasons, but the difference was he was a pretty stupid character in 3.0, and he's still quite strong.

Last edited:

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
Is there a list of tournaments for the Louisiana area?
I would like host one that is well fleshed out and I don't want to step on anyones toes.
Goals: cheap to enter, fun to play, and a few pinches of salt for a well seasoned event.
50% of proceeds going to local charity, more Nintendo swag, big ass trophies, overall professionally run.
Name: School Yard Smash
Date: hopefully Second Saturday in May(depending on other tourney dates)
Platforms: <PM><Melee><WiiU>
Stream: Yes(with local favorites and guest appearances)
Input: welcome. I will be checking the boards at least once a day for feedback and input

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
In Baton Rouge there's a biweekly every first and third Sunday. There's a monthly in Metairie on the last (?) Saturday of each month. And the LSU smash club is going to start hosting free entry tournaments w/o prize pools each month as well. Are you on facebook? It might be easier to find the information that way on the Louisiana smash fb group.

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
In Baton Rouge there's a biweekly every first and third Sunday. There's a monthly in Metairie on the last (?) Saturday of each month. And the LSU smash club is going to start hosting free entry tournaments w/o prize pools each month as well. Are you on facebook? It might be easier to find the information that way on the Louisiana smash fb group.
Thanks for the monthly info. Would you have more info on the big things semi annuals or quarterly events. I don't do FB and the tournament I plan to throw will be a large scale annual event with multiple sponsors lined up already.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
second to last saturday on each month

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the monthly info. Would you have more info on the big things semi annuals or quarterly events. I don't do FB and the tournament I plan to throw will be a large scale annual event with multiple sponsors lined up already.
Well there's summer con and winter con. But the last winter con in January was kind of a disaster, so nobody wants to go to another one of those events. There are other tournaments that just kinda happen sometimes but there's no set schedule -- Revival of Lafayette and The People's Tournament. The People's Tournament 2 will be happening this summer but I dunno when the next Revival of Lafayette is.

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
Is there a list of tournaments for the Louisiana area?
I would like host one that is well fleshed out and I don't want to step on anyones toes.
Goals: cheap to enter, fun to play, and a few pinches of salt for a well seasoned event.
50% of proceeds going to local charity, more Nintendo swag, big *** trophies, overall professionally run.
Name: School Yard Smash
Date: hopefully Second Saturday in May(depending on other tourney dates)
Platforms: <PM><Melee><WiiU>
Stream: Yes(with local favorites and guest appearances)
Input: welcome. I will be checking the boards at least once a day for feedback and input
Where would this be held?

VVB

SD Champ
You can probably expect the next Revival of Lafayette on the first Saturday of March. We haven't nailed the date down 100% yet, but it's a good chance it will happen then.

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
To answer @captain-clutch question we would like to have the inaugural event at Lee High School(Temporary Building 4510 Bawell, Baton Rouge La ) and next year house the competition in the New Lee High's Digital Media Center.
I have learned a lot from winter con: I didn't know that smash4 was that popular, I learned that smash4 pools take 12hrs, and I learned to acquire an abundance of setups especially because people can lose and take their setup within the first few hours of the day.
Do to the things I have learned I plan to: rent all wiiU setups that will be in play along with contract of intent and time, provide food truck services at least twice that day, and since I do not have to pay for facilities I can afford to provide security just in case the salt becomes a little to heavy, Also I can employ bracket managers that will not play any games/ participate in any tournaments to keep the chaos to a minimum

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
This is awkward. The answer is yes, there is unfortunately no hope for smashcon. Wintercon 2015 scarred souls and wasted hundreds of travel dollars for many players.

Last edited:

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
I want to make a good home for the SMASH community. So input from all three(PM.Melee.WiiU) smash enthusiast would be great (Sorry 64 and brawl maybe next year) . What would you like to see from a tourney? What turned you off in past tournaments? I want to have a tourney that is Fun and Rewarding, One in which you can talk about in a good way...

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I want to make a good home for the SMASH community. So input from all three(PM.Melee.WiiU) smash enthusiast would be great (Sorry 64 and brawl maybe next year) . What would you like to see from a tourney? What turned you off in past tournaments? I want to have a tourney that is Fun and Rewarding, One in which you can talk about in a good way...
I'll play anything and enjoy all games, but mostly enjoy the 3 you mentioned, so I'll chime in.

I can say the LSU tourney yesterday was an example of absolute success. It was free, which was a big draw, and many people from other parts of the state who don't travel often came to this free tourney with no prizes, so that really says something about free entries imo.

I'll answer your questions in specifics:

a) What would you like to see from a tourney?
The biggest draws for me would be these, most influential first: Free entry, Saturday/Sunday, Payment for setup rentals, certain Charity donations, Free food, Large venue space, dedicated Friendlies setups, 4-5 min time limit for Smash 4 (ideally 4), 3stock for PM

I realize these won't all be possible in the same tournament (especially free entry + charity donations) but those are the biggest factors for me. I currently don't bring setups because I don't want my things stolen. If I can be given payment and people keep watch around setups then I wouldn't hesitate to bring a setup. I could bring most of a Melee setup and most of a PM setup, assuming you allow Wiis for Melee setups. I only say "most of" because I'm not physically able to carry a CRT around, but I could bring the other things. I also can't attend any tourney on the weekdays, I go to school full time and work part time. Sat/Sun are the only days I can do anything else.

b) What turned you off in past tournaments?
Small venue space, no dedicated Friendlies setups, 4 stock for PM, 6 minute time limit for Smash 4.

The LSU tourney was an example of so many things that went right, including a dedicated friendlies table. However, even though smash 4 had 2 stock rule, they had 6 minutes on the timer and (according to what I heard) that stretched things out significantly. They made up for it with dedicated TO's that managed to keep track of everyone including coming to you to let you know when you had a match if you were eating outside. The only thing I wish was better is that I wish they could have a bigger number of friendlies setups (with compensation for setups, this shouldn't be hard) and that Smash 4 was 4-5 minutes at a maximum. The other thing that I didn't like at the LSU tourney was 4 stock for PM- that drew matches out significantly longer than they should have and I never got to enter Melee as a result (needed to leave at 8, Melee scheduled to start at 7, but 7:30 saw PM matches still in their infancy)

So, all in all, if you want to learn from anyone, learn from the LSU monthlies. LSU's monthly was probably the best tournament I've been to besides the LasT series, which used Laser Tag's upstairs space and had convenient access to Laser Tag's food downstairs in their main area. You may be able to do something like have a free tournament one month, and a paid entry + prizes tournament another. If you're a biweekly kind of person, then do free for one biweekly and paid the next, so you can hit both types in one month.

Last edited:

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
GOOD:

- venue with plenty of parking
- out of state attendance/high attendance numbers in general
- pot bonuses (if there is no prize pool, then free entry)
- potential for venue fee to be waived if you are merely spectating or if you bring a setup
- food nearby
- cooperation/willing to listen to local community
- stream and commentary
- friendlies area
- efficient TOs who can run bracket as quickly as possible, know rulesets, willing to kick people playing friendlies on tournament setups off or DQ no shows after an appropriate amount of time
- other stuff i'll think of it and others will have more suggestions

BAD:

- tournament running too far behind schedule. so schedule events appropriately
- venue too small

mostly it's just a lot of little stuff that makes the tournament much better if done right and stuff that's really big that can't be ****ed up
but pretty much if you don't **** up the big things it'll be ok

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
- potential for venue fee to be waived if you are if you bring a setup
~i don't know about the spectators because they might hog friendly setups, leave trash for others to pick up, and overall fairness to everyone, but if they would volunteer/signup to do a simple task(nothing hard, strenuous, or even time consuming) then I could defiantly allow free entry.

- cooperation/willing to listen to local community
~that is a must.

- stream and commentary
~funny or more serious?

- friendlies area
~ would a section away from the main brackets be better or worse?

- pot bonuses
~money/pot/trophies which would be the best or is there a good mix or magical combination of the three?

-I currently don't bring setups because I don't want my things stolen. If I can be given payment and people keep watch around setups then I wouldn't hesitate to bring a setup.
~a Chucky Cheese program will help us out here.... Florecent indicator on the game console and or monitor and the matching indicator on the responsibleresponsible party of the setup will be the only one allowed to remove that setup.

This will be an annual event. I will have to charge money to make it worthy of an annual event.(but charging money doesn't mean a ton of money cheap and reasonable)
There a good group of great people putting on monthlies and weeklys LSU / Cove /Metarie that is why I want to start an annual.

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
A mix of the three would be excellent. Getting a trophy for smash is like a dream. Getting money is incredibly rewarding as well.

Last edited:

heyitshoward

Smash Apprentice
well if you just make sure that the internet can handle a stream then you can find volunteers in the community to help set one up.
friendlies area being away from main bracket area would of course make perfect sense because as a TO you must know which setups are open for tournament and which are reserved for friendlies.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
- potential for venue fee to be waived if you are if you bring a setup
~i don't know about the spectators because they might hog friendly setups, leave trash for others to pick up, and overall fairness to everyone, but if they would volunteer/signup to do a simple task(nothing hard, strenuous, or even time consuming) then I could defiantly allow free entry.
I like this idea a lot. That would be a really positive thing overall imo.

- stream and commentary
~funny or more serious?
Like Iceman said, both. I personally would love the idea of one serious commenter and one complete jokester commenter and the look on the serious guy's face when the jokester keeps cracking jokes.

- friendlies area
~ would a section away from the main brackets be better or worse?
Far enough away that it won't interfere with the space of the tournament games, but close enough so that if someone was playing friendlies in between their tourney matches the TO would be able to get to them with little effort. I would say ideally that they should be off to the side, but in the same room. If it's a relatively small venue, this may change but expect there to be delays in tournament matches as a result of going room to room for people. (not good)

-I currently don't bring setups because I don't want my things stolen. If I can be given payment and people keep watch around setups then I wouldn't hesitate to bring a setup.
~a Chucky Cheese program will help us out here.... Florecent indicator on the game console and or monitor and the matching indicator on the responsibleresponsible party of the setup will be the only one allowed to remove that setup.
I like the idea of a person being a dedicated setup monitor. The fluorescent indicator would do nothing to prevent people from stealing unless a person was monitoring the setups. I'm not as worried about console theft as I am about game disc and SD card theft, especially when changing setups for the next game's tournament.

This will be an annual event. I will have to charge money to make it worthy of an annual event.(but charging money doesn't mean a ton of money cheap and reasonable)
There a good group of great people putting on monthlies and weeklys LSU / Cove /Metarie that is why I want to start an annual.
An annual event sounds great. You'll get a lot more time to plan and a lot more time to make something great for your attendees.

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
Thank You @ iceman48 iceman48 @ Sapphire Dragon Sapphire Dragon @ 'V' 'V' @ heyitshoward heyitshoward & @ Yams Everywhere Yams Everywhere
I know know to do:
-smaller Trophy & Cash
-Setup Monitors(I would like more info on best practices)
-entrance fee will be waived for those who bring setups/ as well as access to any swag first
-The venues interwebs can handle stream but I would love to get pointers from those streaming successfully w/o frame drop and general tips

**I would also like to form a small committee that would help me make a few decisions, PR, and keep all the communities happy or at least try. Just let me know if anyone is interested. **
|HOTEP|

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
-Setup Monitors(I would like more info on best practices)

**I would also like to form a small committee that would help me make a few decisions, PR, and keep all the communities happy or at least try. Just let me know if anyone is interested. **
Two people monitoring opposite sides of the room would probably be fine. No need to be fancy, as long as they pay attention to the movement around setups they should be fine.

Your best bets on a committee would be JNig/Jsalt, VforExtreme/Vaughn, Iceman, whoever ran LSU's monthly (Diego? Not sure what his account is here), and Sudai. Sudai will insist that he doesn't play the game anymore so isn't best suited, but don't mind that. He's very kind, a genius, and a long time veteran to the community, so he can really help guide you on a lot of things.

Last edited:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I want tournaments where there are no entry fees, no venue fees (which are just ploys for TOs to pocket pleyer's money), but there's already a guaranteed $100 pot and at least a $100 bonus to go to the winner.

TL;DR - Entry fees are an outdated practice, venue fees are ripoffs no matter the amount, and TO's should be paying players to attend their events.

In addition to that - unless you are liked by the community, you shouldn't be allowed to run tournaments, so basically taylor, vaughn, and diego are the only qualified people to run tournaments.

Unless a TO has all the necessary help and equipment, no events should be allowed to happen.

Also, if an entry fee and/or venue fee has to be charged, then both should be waived if an entrant brings a set-up, whether it's used or not. It's a pain to take the time to unplug a tiny console and/or a tv and lug it around in a vehichle to a tournament. So much responsibility should be compensated.

Top Bottom