• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
ggs to the dudes at the shrimp, I think I got like 5th or 7th. First time I've ever came back home with my hands hurting.

I'll take a game off you someday, Vaughn.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I recieved word that the venue is going to open up for 10am for everyone. As such, we've revised the schedule and pushed back a couple of events to accomodate this change.

Changes: Brawl Doubles - pushed back from 10am to 11am
Brawl Singles/ 64 Doubles - pushed back from 11am to 12pm.

As always, arrive on time and bring set-ups!

LEGIT QUESTION: Every year, someone always says something about crews. Unforunately, there's never enough time at smashcon to run crews. How would you guys feel about swapping doubles for every smash game for crew battles? Erick told me LA gets recognition as a doubles state (idk how much though). What are your thoughts?

Imo, it'd be a fun idea. It'd be a different change of pace from your standard singles/doubles only tournament. I beleive we could get a little more hype from it, not to mention if we got a good stream in order, we could get some views. Crews are pretty hype, right?

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I would have more fun doing crews than I would doubles. I think they're more exciting and a good bonding experience, but it's up to you.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I would have more fun doing crews than I would doubles. I think they're more exciting and a good bonding experience, but it's up to you.
That decision is actually up to Erick, but if you guys supported the idea a lot, it would help in making it happen. :)

@ iceman48 iceman48 - I would think so. In whichever way you guys would think would be the most entertaining.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it would be a very bad decision to get rid of teams. it will hurt your attendance for sure if you do. crews are fun, but people dont come for crews. they sometimes stay after and do it for fun. just my opinion and everyone i talked to at the tournament today.

D

Deleted member

in regards to smashcon, jnig is running brawl as far as i know. who is running the other tournaments?

D

Deleted member

this is going to sound hateful but i dont mean it to be harsh.

but all the decent players want to play doubles.

'V'

Smash Lord
Tha Shrimp 005: Tha Shrimpy Shrimp (Top 8 & Characters)

Melee Singles:
1: Lee :foxmelee: / :sheikmelee:
2: TaylorHJ :foxmelee: / :marthmelee:
3: Owl :foxmelee:
4: Dope :falcomelee:
5: Citrus :jigglypuffmelee:
5: Jackets :foxmelee:
7: V01D :foxmelee:
7: V :zeldamelee:

Project M Singles:
1: Lee :fox:
2: Dope :dedede: / :falco:
3: DF :rob:
4: TaylorHJ :fox: / :marth:
5: V :fox: / :metaknight: / :zelda:
5: magi_ :link2:
7: RJ :ivysaur:
7: Mushroom Dynamite :lucas: / :luigi2:

The Melee characters keep getting more one-sided with every tournament. LOL

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
Also, Summercon should definitely NOT swap out Doubles for crew battles. The big money usually revolves around Singles and Doubles. Keep it that way.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Don't get rid of doubles. You can't change an event (that drew at least 4 people I'm sure) like the day before. We personally have traveled and almost had to sleep in our car and taking pm doubles was one of our goals. H and his partner play doubles more than singles. People who also play for money like doubles more. Don't get me wrong crews would be hella hype in the future, but we need more warning in the future.

Also, I'm salty about losing to Dope and Vaughn. Although I put the fear in V to not play fox against that ivy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it is unreasonable for erick to run every tournament. im putting this out there to try and better the community and hopefully my relationship with erick after he is making efforts to make the community happy:

not only will i will attend smashcon but i will run melee singles and teams if someone else runs pm singles and teams (that isnt erick). if erick runs smash64 and overlords everything else and we have TOs for each event, it should run smoothly. i wont be caught hosting more tournaments than those two though. someone else step up with your own laptop and do the job. i will seed for you if youre having trouble. its not hard to run a bracket. but to play and run a bunch at one time gets a little hairy.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Shot Erick a text concerning your offer. I'm hoping he'll make a post in response. Thanks for making the offer. That would be awesome if we could get some more competant volunteers to help make this event run smoothly.

I also just remembered Erick's brother, Jwulf has been confirmed as TO for 64.

I'm going to be riding shotgun for Jnig for Brawl, but my goal is to help him mainly by rounding up players, sending them where they need to go, trying to get results from players who didn't report in, etc, while he mainly runs the bracket. Especially with the layout of that upstairs room and where we set up brawl, it's really hard to see around that corner and tell if we have any open set-ups and who's playing tournament match or not. Having that extra body out there will really help.

Last edited:

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
it is unreasonable for erick to run every tournament. im putting this out there to try and better the community and hopefully my relationship with erick after he is making efforts to make the community happy:

not only will i will attend smashcon but i will run melee singles and teams if someone else runs pm singles and teams (that isnt erick). if erick runs smash64 and overlords everything else and we have TOs for each event, it should run smoothly. i wont be caught hosting more tournaments than those two though. someone else step up with your own laptop and do the job. i will seed for you if youre having trouble. its not hard to run a bracket. but to play and run a bunch at one time gets a little hairy.
Unless I missed it somewhere, I was never aware that TOing Sunmercon was a volunteer position.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Denti is in need of housing near or around BR. I assume Oracle is coming with him as well.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Ok so for those of you who haven't heard me and Tyler have found a sweet venue and are planning a tournament for July 20th.

What I want to know is what would attract each of you specifically, so please don't hesitate to answer when I ask what attracts you to a tournament/makes you not want to go. Is it venue fee? Entry fee size? Location? Attendees?

We already have a mandatory $5 venue fee but what I want to know is if $10 entry fees hurt more than they help. The reasoning for a $10 entry fee would be to increase the prize pool/attract OOS players, but if doing so would cause a lot of local players to not go I'd be against it.

Also the games being ran would more than likely just be PM and Melee.

'V'

Smash Lord
What I want to know is what would attract each of you specifically, so please don't hesitate to answer when I ask what attracts you to a tournament/makes you not want to go. Is it venue fee? Entry fee size? Location? Attendees?
FOOD!!!

We need more substantial food options at our venues during tourney times so that we don't have to do too much waiting on people leaving to get food from other places and things like that. More people are starting to jump on ordering a bunch of pizzas during tourney time. We need to start doing more things like that. $10 venue would be perfect to go towards something like this.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Ok so for those of you who haven't heard me and Tyler have found a sweet venue and are planning a tournament for July 20th.

We already have a mandatory $5 venue fee but what I want to know is if $10 entry fees hurt more than they help. The reasoning for a $10 entry fee would be to increase the prize pool/attract OOS players, but if doing so would cause a lot of local players to not go I'd be against it.

Also the games being ran would more than likely just be PM and Melee.
From the perspective of a new player, I would MUCH prefer $5 entry fee. Other things that would attract me are the promise of friendly setups, Free/Very cheap side events, decent location that has food options, and of course a few notable players being there is cool. As for side events, what I'd love to see run is crews and wasadu(?) doubles.

D

Deleted member

$5 entry fee doesnt attract "notable players"
unless me and lee count as such.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
$5 entry fee doesnt attract "notable players"
unless me and lee count as such.
If it's a local tournament, I'd say best and 2nd best in Louisiana qualify as notable players, but I understand raising the entry fee to attract out of state entrants. $5 as opposed to $10 is a better incentive for me personally to go.

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Well this venue has food, a bar, and plenty of space so we should be able to cater to all of those things.

I'd really like to get a good turnout to this thing but I don't want people to be turned off by venue fee. Thank you for your responses, if anyone else would like to chime in please don't hesitate.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Speaking for some of my New Orleans crew- if there is a $10 venue and $5 entry, then that's already 2 events those players are not competing in. Poor summer johns. Plus there have been a few more events than normal lately. That is a GREAT thing. Venue fees especially in excess of $5 heavily detract from attendance and participation. $10 entry tournaments are cool with me (if it's 10 for singles, 5 each for teams), but only if they're set apart more than a month with regular $5 per tournaments happening more regularly. We're trying to grow the scene, make more players come out and make those players better. Not just feed Lee. srs lol.

D

Deleted member

$5 venue fee and $10 tournament entry is reasonable. (should be $5 per person in teams though)

everybody **** riding on lee. i beat him at the cove and im going to win saturday.
#shotsfired

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
Im 16,SO I can't go to it unless my parents are willing to drive and they said no because it is kind of far

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
95% sure Taylor was referring to the drunk comment but he's a scrub and didn't quote it.

Also Vaughn, you are old. DJ Young Kalzar shall always be young though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom