• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

@deanelazab

Smash Rookie
I'm about 30 minutes from New Orleans, and I am starting to stream regularly. I will stream Golden Chariot if allowed to - I have all the equipment needed except for one or two USB webcams for player cams - and a second headset for casters.

I've streamed tournaments at www.twitch.tv/getgoodsmash (although the only VoD there was from my very first time streaming, with no commentators or a good overlay.

And as of last night, I've streamed friendlies at www.twitch.tv/bestrin and there will be more to come. The audio from last night was **** because the streaming was impromptu and I didn't bring a decent mic.
Hey man, I will bring a full astro a40 setup for the stream if you want a second commentator.

Also gg's today guys, if I didnt introduce myself I was the guy in the green shorts playing pit/lucario.

Last edited:

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Who's commentating at the Chariot?
I'll commentate for quite a bit - can't give away my Ness tricks in friendlies all day hue.

But like I said before, I don't have any designated commentators because everyone who's commentated for me before was up in Ruston.

Anybody who is presentable and confident is welcome to commentate- and it will be appreciated.

Sudai

Stuff here
So long as it isn't super campy I feel like I'll have fun with it. I had a lot of fun with Brawl until people realized how easy and optimal it was to just camp forever.

ChKn

Smash Ace
As long as the metagame revolves around matches that last under 5 minutes, I'll be perfectly happy. Sets should not take longer than 16 minutes (assuming Bo3) to complete. I really hope that the community can look at the stock/timer options and have faster matches than in Brawl.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
"As long as the community agrees to pander to my optimal ruleset instead of adhering to an already existing standard and everyone agrees to not play campy, I won't totally hate this game."
-U guys

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
"As long as the community agrees to pander to my optimal ruleset instead of adhering to an already existing standard and everyone agrees to not play campy, I won't totally hate this game."
-U guys

There's a big difference between "people playing campy" and "the optimal way to play is campy." I'm not asking people not to camp because people will do whatever it takes to win, I just don't want the win condition in Sm4sh to be camping.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
No dashdancing...

NOT FUN.

But truly, if I feel like they are removing MOVEMENT options from Smash, I really won't play it very much. I enjoy playing Smash more than other games because of the platform fighting and movement options that can be utilized. Street Fighter is a box.

'V'

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try it out at Best Buy tomorrow. If the E3 demo is anything like how they did things last year, though, everyone will only get 1 game each. I'll mess around with Brawl for a little bit before trying it out so that I can compare it properly. I have a very strong feeling that it'll be similar, though.

I'll most likely play it casually for fun, but on a competitive level, I don't see myself really bothering at all. And that is my honest opinion. Respect it if you would.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I will gladly respect your opinion, Vaughn. However, I find it more difficult to do so than usual for a couple of reasons.

Your obvious bias is projecting a darkness and negativity on a game that you HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET. I don't understand how all the melee'ers are already judging the game. Not only that, but melee'ers seem to only want melee 2.0. Please look at this as a fresh game, a NEW game, that is totally different and unrelated to any other that came before it. A father and son can share similarities, but to call the two the same person is a falsehood.

Going into the experience of playing it already deciding that it isn't "up to par", is an unhealthy way of experiencing anything new. All the melee'ers dismissing the game already are doing themselves, the game, and thus the community a disservice by being armchair game reviewers on a game they have yet to even play.

"Brawl 2.0 confirmed." Don't give me that bull****. This is a totally new incarnation of the thought-form that is SSB. Though I have had small part in this community, I think it's really special. I'm disappointed to see veterans and newbies alike dismissing a game before they even give it an honest try. Most melee'ers probably won't even do that!

I urge you to try to open your mind. Perhaps you will find that your assumptions were true, and that all was for naught. But, in freeing and opening your mind you will find that you will have gained something you wouldn't have before. You will be able to have a truly unique experience, instead of one shrouded by expectations.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
This is why I said that I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I'm not writing it off just yet, but my expectations are quite low. I've learned my lesson from 6 years ago. Pessimism has it perks, dawg.

D

Deleted member

but then truth is, you can judge a game by observing it being played. the only hope is if things are changed before the release, which is doubtful.

'V'

Smash Lord
It's too close to release date to make drastic changes to the system, unless the changes were for the Wii U version only, which won't be the case because both games are supposed to play the same.

I can confirm this. I've worked as a game tester before and I know how deadlines work.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
That's cool, man. I'm glad that whatever you're doing works for you. I'm going to use this opportunity to tell a story.

Once, a man was planning a picnic. It was a beautiful Saturday morning when he decided to do so. He made his food, packed his basket, his blanket and called his friends to join him. With a smile on his face, he stepped outside to see a massive thunderhead above his city. The man was heartbroken. He proceeded to have a terrible day because his picnic was ruined.

A story that's been told many times, no? But, why? The man has expectations. He sees the sun shining outside his window, he demands a picnic! But then I ask, what ruined the man's day? Most people will tell you that it was the rain. But that's not true. It was his relationship to the rain that made his day into a shadow of what it could have been.

Don't let your experience decide your mood. Only you have the power to do that. You are the common denominator in the you and your experiences. So, in my mind, being pessimistic about something so that you won't be let down by it is a band-aid solution for a problem that needs medical rehabilitation.

Hope this helps you or others in the thread. It is not my intention to belittile, degrade, or otherwise defame you or your opinions. I only say this in hopes that those that hear might become those that listen.

Edit: Taylor, I think you can watch a movie and then judge it. Playing a game is a different story. I don't see how you can see that at all >.>

Last edited:

ChKn

Smash Ace
Apparently, by air dodging into the ground, there's more landing lag than actually landing. I'm interested to see how it'll work in terms of punishing.

I'm gonna bring my notebook with me and write down what I notice. We can use this opportunity to get more people in our community.

D

Deleted member

well the thing is i dont care if smash 4 is good lol. i never got my hopes up and perhaps that was the man's problem. high expectations. im gravy dunking melee for ever.

'V'

Smash Lord
That's cool, man. I'm glad that whatever you're doing works for you. I'm going to use this opportunity to tell a story.

Once, a man was planning a picnic. It was a beautiful Saturday morning when he decided to do so. He made his food, packed his basket, his blanket and called his friends to join him. With a smile on his face, he stepped outside to see a massive thunderhead above his city. The man was heartbroken. He proceeded to have a terrible day because his picnic was ruined.

A story that's been told many times, no? But, why? The man has expectations. He sees the sun shining outside his window, he demands a picnic! But then I ask, what ruined the man's day? Most people will tell you that it was the rain. But that's not true. It was his relationship to the rain that made his day into a shadow of what it could have been.

Don't let your experience decide your mood. Only you have the power to do that. You are the common denominator in the you and your experiences. So, in my mind, being pessimistic about something so that you won't be let down by it is a band-aid solution for a problem that needs medical rehabilitation.

Hope this helps you or others in the thread. It is not my intention to belittile, degrade, or otherwise defame you or your opinions. I only say this in hopes that those that hear might become those that listen.
Or you could just let people analyze the game for themselves like we've been doing for I don't know how many years now... Seems like a better solution to me. Just like people shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to trash a game that isn't out yet, they also shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to defend it either.

Everyone has different first impressions of a game. Leave it at that.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Impressions are one thing, judgments are another. I also never defended the game. I am merely asserting a perspective that, in this instance, applies to gaming. I never said you shouldn't analyze the game. Analyze away! I would never want to hinder anyone in doing that. By your response, I think you thought I was attacking you or trying to limit you. On the contrary, I only want to lift you up, brother. I realize this usually isn't the place for such a thing, but when I see an opportunity, I seize it.

I'm glad to leave this exchange on your terms, though. It's appropriately symbolic.

Everyone has different first impressions of a game.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm gonna try it out at Best Buy tomorrow. If the E3 demo is anything like how they did things last year, though, everyone will only get 1 game each.
That's pretty crazy, there's a lot I'd like to test.

How exactly did it run? Were there so many people that everyone could only feasibly get a single match in? What if there's fewer people this time, and how many setups did they have then?

Just would like to know so I can know how much of a timespan I have to go through my Pika test list.

ChKn

Smash Ace
The E3 demos for smash were 4-player, 2 min FFA. Every hour should cycle through at least 10 batches of people (40 total) if they keep the settings the same and if there's only one setup. If there are at least 200 people, you'll most likely only get to play once.

Shoutouts to Bman for hanging out with us today.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys see the stuff the payers posted?
A couple of highlights:
Holding the edge and then someone else getting on puts you into a tumble.
Spot dodge is a good option.
They tested SDI on a SMART BOMB and it's either non existent or minuscule.
Regular di nerfed too.
Fox up smash didn't kill at 110%.

Have you seen brawls smart bombs? How can that not be Sdi'd

I better get a mega kanga out of a pokeball for this crap

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Man, they nerfed a lot of things related to movement. I hope there are good menu toggles to deal with this, since you can already turn off "customizations"

The E3 demos for smash were 4-player, 2 min FFA. Every hour should cycle through at least 10 batches of people (40 total) if they keep the settings the same and if there's only one setup. If there are at least 200 people, you'll most likely only get to play once.
So, assuming there are 2 to 4 setups, and under 100 people, how many chances would each person be able to play?

(I am bad at math, please forgive me. <3)

'V'

Smash Lord
That's pretty crazy, there's a lot I'd like to test.

How exactly did it run? Were there so many people that everyone could only feasibly get a single match in? What if there's fewer people this time, and how many setups did they have then?

Just would like to know so I can know how much of a timespan I have to go through my Pika test list.
Well last year they had games like Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8. They had a line and made sure every person at least had one turn, however some of those games could only be played one player at a time, save Mario Kart 8.

I imagine it'll be much better seeing as how it'll be 4 players for 2 minutes, so you can probably get multiple games in, but lots of people are looking forward to this and will be constantly going in and out of the building. Cycles will probably get longer as the day goes on, or the reps might have some kind of sign-in system. Hopefully they'll have more than one setup. Last year they only had one.

Did you guys see the stuff the payers posted?
They tested SDI on a SMART BOMB and it's either non existent or minuscule.
Regular di nerfed too.
Ummmm... What!?

ChKn

Smash Ace
Man, they nerfed a lot of things related to movement. I hope there are good menu toggles to deal with this, since you can already turn off "customizations"

So, assuming there are 2 to 4 setups, and under 100 people, how many chances would each person be able to play?

(I am bad at math, please forgive me. <3)
I'm just wildly speculating lol. With 2 setups, you have 8 people playing, so if I assumed that 40 people play in an hour, 80 should play per hour. 400 would play in 5 hours.

I really hope they have more than one setup and have the GC adapter. I feel like the BR Best Buy is more hyped than the Harvey location.

@ 'V' 'V' http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/
http://smashboards.com/threads/raykzs-smash-4-impressions-come-and-ask-doubts.357850/#post-16876911

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Someone please, what stage did a fox up smash not kill at 110%

Imagine Armada vs Mango.
Mango dash dances in typical style.
Gets a roll, up smash armada at 90 ftw...
Except no dash dancing and no death.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Fox usmash not killing at 90 isn't that big a deal.

The other stuff is legit tho.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How is that a bad thing, fox's upsmash is crazy ridiculous
So if that were in melee?
"oh no guess I gotta laser camp and Nair shine for 30% more, life as a fox main is so hard"

Top Bottom