• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
You were like the first people in like over 5 years that came over for more than 5 hours/stayed the night, that's prob why.

come over again before school starts, bring other vidya games and ****.

also don't forget scrabble.

EDIT: @DF but less anime means more reasons to sleep instead of practice.

Last edited:

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
You were like the first people in like over 5 years that came over for more than 5 hours/stayed the night, that's prob why.

come over again before school starts, bring other vidya games and ****.

also don't forget scrabble.

EDIT: @DF but less anime means more reasons to sleep instead of practice.
Mm in Mario strikers? No super strikes, bowser off, no robots, underground arena only?

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
@ RuslinJimmies RuslinJimmies we should go to that
Get off work
It'll be cheap
I doubt I can. I just realized with the current way the schedule is I won't have weekends off ever. I'm gonna ask for a raise and switch back to stocking and work 2-10 to have a definitive schedule that works with school in the fall. The managers on board when they hire more people. Sooo more tourneys then.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It used to be super reliable to grab with, back in like 2.0 or 2.1.
Now they have it to where you need a good set-up or a read. Which is better designed tbh.
But super-throwing someone down to their death is the most satisfying thing in the game.

Last edited:

VVB

SD Champ
I'm messing with the idea of running 5-man crew battles by region (Lafayette, BR, NOLA, North LA, etc) if time allows rather than running doubles. I know that it's kinda tough getting 5 people from the region, so I wouldn't mind if you had to pick up a couple guys that aren't from your region, as long as the majority of the crew is from said region.

Would that be something of interest?

Logz

Smash Cadet
It's a good idea in theory, but I don't know if it'll work since you just announced it on such a short notice. I'd say stick with doubles and see how it goes. Try crews out the next time you guys plan a lafy tournament if doubles doesn't end up working or you find a way to save time.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Doubles should never be nixed for crews imo. It should always be an addition. Also you could get 5 from BR, Laffy, and Nola. When college isn't in session North La has like 3 players whose primary game isn't brawl. Mainly because Shreveport melee and pm doesn't travel.

Tldr:
Doubles is sex and money.
Crews is hype and less/no money

VVB

SD Champ
Doubles should never be nixed for crews imo. It should always be an addition. Also you could get 5 from BR, Laffy, and Nola. When college isn't in session North La has like 3 players whose primary game isn't brawl. Mainly because Shreveport melee and pm doesn't travel.

Tldr:
Doubles is sex and money.
Crews is hype and less/no money
The only reason I even thought of the idea of crews is because how it plays out as far as time restraints. Doubles are already pending and I figured single elimination crews would be quicker, but still give a team related event to play. I realize that it was short notice, just putting it out there...

I'll definitely try to work it into future events.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
After a long time, the Cove Monthly event page is up:

https://www.facebook.com/events/250088178521186/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

It's this Sunday, for all you Melee players. Sorry about the short notice. Van was doing a lot of stuff the past few weeks and he's still doing things. He won't even be able to make this tourney until like the very end for a hype UMvC3 money match. We've got a Mario Kart 8 side tourney this time.

Edit: I'm thinking about alternating between Melee and P:M for the Cove Monthly series with 3-stock P:M games. What do people think of this?

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Edit: I'm thinking about alternating between Melee and P:M for the Cove Monthly series with 3-stock P:M games. What do people think of this?
I think 3-stock games are definitely jumping the gun, looking at any other region's top players has their games going by at a pace very similar to Melee's. All we need are players to be better. "Well when they get better we'll change it back" doesn't work because even if players get better and stocks drop faster, there'll never be a time when you think "Man, with three stocks this game is too quick, time to change back to four stocks so it can run on time instead of ahead of time."
A less drastic (but also less effective) solution is reducing the stage list. It's not like in melee where everybody knows ahead of time what they ban/strike against certain characters/players. I've found myself spending a lot of time mid-set thinking about what stages I should ban, or even just trying to remember what stages were already banned, often as much as and upwards of a minute. That's a lot in between each game for both players; in Melee the decision is often almost instant.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
I definitely support the idea of a reduced stage list, but what stages would people people be happy to get rid of?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'm down for those going away but not warioware.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I definitely support the idea of a reduced stage list, but what stages would people people be happy to get rid of?
Stages people seem to hate because playing on them is awkward or different? Lylat, Skyloft, FoD (and skyworld to a small extent)
Stages with environmental factors that affect the pace of play (Random or not)? Yoshi's Island (brawl), Yoshi's story (melee), PS1

Getting rid of all of those would leave 7, 5 of which are entirely suitable as neutrals (middle five bottom row).

But not all of those necessarily need to drop out. Sky world has a much more unique platform layout, sticking out over the edge makes them an additional recovery option, BUT the side blastzones are really close there so using them for that purpose or general maneuvering is not crazy safe. Plus they add a unique dynamic to edgegaurding by allowing the edgegaurder to more safely approach the character recovering before they can reach the edge for invincibility, unless they recover low, where an edgehog is just a fall through the platform away. The reason I included it up there are the awkward edges. They aren't as bad as Lylat or Melee battlefield's, but they do add an element of stress for a player to consider if they want to do a delayed edgehop. If you included it you'd have 8, Dunno why But I like that number.

Yoshi's story also isn't that bad. Randall just makes annoying saves that seem random if nobody is watching the clock. It's Also a really small stage. The reason I included up there it is there are already two small stages that are better- Wario Ware and Green Hill Zone.
And FoD isn't bad, the platforms are just annoying to deal with for anyone that doesn't practice on them. With so many stages in PM, practicing on FoD is gonna be less rewarding than it is in melee, so I feel like most aren't going to.
The thing with these last two is you're kinda getting into redundancy when you're trying to eliminate it for the sake of a smaller list.

There's also a few of the top row stages worthy of consideration, but they are either very large for Singles (norfair, Dracula's, distant planet) or strangely shaped (metal cavern, which is good for a small stage but has the weirdest floor of the small stages).

Personally I like:
BF, SV, PS2, FD, and DL as neutrals (centerr bottom five)
And Skyworld, WW, and GHZ as counterpicks (all middle row)
That's total 8 stages instead of 14. Could work with either 1 or 2 bans.
I'd also be down to see GHZ or WW be neutrals.

Why is Warioware so important (just out of curiosity)?
it's a better version of Yoshi's story I think. No Randall. The unique platform arrangement also makes circle camping harder since being on a top platform means you are far from center stage and have a longer jump to get to the opposite end of the stage.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
Well, it seems to me that most people generally don't like:

Yoshi's Island Brawl
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Pokémon Stadium 1
Skyworld

If we were to eliminate all of them, we'd be left with 9 stages. People seem to really like Warioware and Green Hill Zone, so they would most likely end up staying even though I would personally be ok with just neutrals for the stagelist.

I see nothing wrong with the neutrals. Just like with Smashville's platform, Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams have their timers as well.

I feel like 9 stages won't really solve too much of the problem, but if people really want to play with 4 stocks, then that's probably the best solution I can come up with. At least it'll make stage counterpicks a little easier.

So, 9 stages with 2 bans. I think that would be good. Any takers on this?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
A side-note about Yoshi's story- Randall can randomly cause tether recoveries to fail.
Also forgot to mention, FoD has a habit of also breaking up grabs annoyingly or making tech rolls super short if a platform comes up at the wrong time. Granted the platforms are on a timer, but I'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has memorized them, especially if the timer happened to not be identical to Melee's.

But yeah, that list is okay with me. I wouldn't include YS or FoD but again that's just me; I'm okay with compromise, especially when I don't run the tournaments lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom