• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

D

Deleted member

Trey really exaggerates it. Or he's a total *****. I've been black out drunk posting and it won't be more than really angry with some typos.

And it isn't about the south hating Melee. North fl really has no scene except rice and zone. And Texas has tournaments. Br just got back from a tournament in Houston with 48 entrants. And arc texted me that they are going to try and do another one on February.

:phone:

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Trey really exaggerates it. Or he's a total *****. I've been black out drunk posting and it won't be more than really angry with some typos.

And it isn't about the south hating Melee. North fl really has no scene except rice and zone. And Texas has tournaments. Br just got back from a tournament in Houston with 48 entrants. And arc texted me that they are going to try and do another one on February.

For Melee? Pcola has Manko, Zone, Derrek, Amp and a few others for Melee. We have a scene, they just don't post.

D

Deleted member

I feel like most of those players are pretty inactive. That's like saying we have Eric Sudai and young Dylan. But you may know better than I. I just haven't seen north fl do anything for Melee in years except Rice and Zone showing up the other day.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
BRM Feb 2

we still have a BRM next weekend?
BRM will be cancelled for this weekend. (Feb 2) I'll post the next monthly now and start getting it hyped.

The venue has expressed to me that March 2nd will be too busy of a Saturday. The event has been moved to March 3rd a Sunday. We'll advertise way in advance and try to make up for the fact its a Sunday. Management has said that if it becomes too much of a problem we can resume Saturdays in the future which will be the very next month.

Turazrok

Smash Master

No last night was bad. I try not to post anymore but I was waiting for like 2 hours at a ***** party for my friends to arrive and bored and continually drinking and it got damn bad.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I feel like most of those players are pretty inactive. That's like saying we have Eric Sudai and young Dylan. But you may know better than I. I just haven't seen north fl do anything for Melee in years except Rice and Zone showing up the other day.

Considering I play with most of the at least 2-3 times a week, and the others a few times a month, I wouldn't call them inactive.

D

Deleted member

so you play melee 2-3 times a week, but you host a tournament without melee. does no compute

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
so you play melee 2-3 times a week, but you host a tournament without melee. does no compute
I play PM with them, they play Melee with each other. Most of us play more than one game. Melee players play Melee and PM, and Brawl players play Brawl and PM here. Everybody plays PM, not all play Melee or Brawl.

I'll make you guys a deal. I'll add Melee if we do the tournament on Sunday. Think you guys would be more willing to head this way?

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Oh most certainly if it's on a sunday. Saturday I'm not missing that concert, but sunday I will definitely trek that way

I'll probably have a car full all for melee

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Oh most certainly if it's on a sunday. Saturday I'm not missing that concert, but sunday I will definitely trek that way

I'll probably have a car full all for melee
Then I will add Melee to the list once I finalize all the venue stuff. And the reason it wasn't on the original list was because we had a much more limited schedule.

Look forward to seeing you guys!

D

Deleted member

well props to your brawl players because pretty much everyone here that doesnt play melee wont play PM

D

Deleted member

true. but you and battou played melee before you played brawl. idk of any brawl players that melee PM or melee. chkn seems to be interested but i dont really know him. also thomas played PM a bit but idk if he even lives in la anymore.

-Ran

Smash Master
I played Melee only casually amongst friends before Brawl. I always had an appreciation for Melee, but never realized the competitive scene existed in such a capacity until I was attending Smashfests for Brawl. I grew tired of waiting in line to play Brawl during the initial push to get better, so I'd start to play in the Melee setups.

Lol.

D

Deleted member

All the brawl players here feel like we kinda missed the boat on Melee's scene. PM is fresh, and the metagame has a long way to evolve. :D
respect, based on the fact that no brawl players want to try pm and most the brawl community in la talks **** about melee being a "bad game."

nb4 i get flamed:

i cant think of someone that still plays melee to this day and didnt give brawl a competitive chance. we all wanted it to be awesome. and ive said this since day one. but brawl is made into a hit and run game. if you liked melee you wont like brawl (considering we've all tried hard to enjoy it). and if you like brawl, you may or may not like melee. but before you talk **** about it, you should give it an in depth look. brawl says you get 1 or 2 hits and run away and try and do it again. you control neurtal space and mostly you fight for the first hit. melee says you fight for every moment of the game becuse your stock depends on literally every input you make on the controller.

Tesh

Smash Hero
respect, based on the fact that no brawl players want to try pm and most the brawl community in la talks **** about melee being a "bad game."

nb4 i get flamed:

i cant think of someone that still plays melee to this day and didnt give brawl a competitive chance. we all wanted it to be awesome. and ive said this since day one. but brawl is made into a hit and run game. if you liked melee you wont like brawl (considering we've all tried hard to enjoy it). and if you like brawl, you may or may not like melee. but before you talk **** about it, you should give it an in depth look. brawl says you get 1 or 2 hits and run away and try and do it again. you control neurtal space and mostly you fight for the first hit. melee says you fight for every moment of the game becuse your stock depends on literally every input you make on the controller.
Thats actually a bit unfair. You are comparing low level brawl play to high level melee play. I've watched low level melee tournaments and pools. Its still pretty bad. Its still people being dumb, not making the most of their advantages, messing up edgeguards and making the game look slower than it could be.

A good player backed by a good brawl character doesn't simply reset after 1 or 2 hits (unless its ****ing olimar). Resetting isn't simply easy just because people have arguably too much defensive freedom after being hit. Everything you do still matters and at high level play, you don't reset, you get reset. I'm not gonna deny that some common matchups more or less embody what you just said (like ****ing olimar/ics), but there are plenty of fast paced matchups too. The game is younger and alot less people can play as fast as the best.

P:M annoys me because it really only appeals to Brawl players that want to play Melee but are turned off by the Melee community.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace

nb4 i get flamed:

My personal favorite Smash is Brawl, but that's just because I like the mind-game poking strategy. It's waaayyy different than melee, but I feel it's more fun and suspenseful. That's my opinion.

But you know what? Melee is awesome too. Melee, Brawl, 64, P:M... It's all Smash, and I effing love Smash.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
P:M annoys me because it really only appeals to Brawl players that want to play Melee but are turned off by the Melee community.
This. I think the worst thing about Melee is some of the community. I've had people try to make me feel like a bad person because I like Brawl, and that's not right. That's not to say Bawl players moan about Melee, too. It may or may not be the majority, but damn, they're vocal.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the patience to play Brawl. It's also a really good feeling knowing you are inputting all these button combos at all times; like an obstacle if you will. It takes a long time to perfect and it is gratifying once you get it down. That being said I don't hate on Brawl players, I can see why people play it, but it's not for me.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
true. but you and battou played melee before you played brawl. idk of any brawl players that melee PM or melee. chkn seems to be interested but i dont really know him. also thomas played PM a bit but idk if he even lives in la anymore.
Me!

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the patience to play Brawl. It's also a really good feeling knowing you are inputting all these button combos at all times; like an obstacle if you will. It takes a long time to perfect and it is gratifying once you get it down. That being said I don't hate on Brawl players, I can see why people play it, but it's not for me.
Basically, this^

I've played doubles with Gunner/Okuser/some guy who was here for like a month in Brawl and it was a lot of fun. I even enjoy picking it up for a game or two when somebody wants to play it, but I just do not want to play a campier Smash game. I have two other Smash games that I find a lot more fun.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
P:M is appealing because those who are attracted to it find it fun in some way, shape, or form? Does it matter really what the reason may be for people playing it so long as they aren't damaging the reputation of the game itself?

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice

nb4 i get flamed:

Well, let's think about this for a second. 1 or 2 hits and run away is what makes brawl so apealing in my oppionion. I will ,honestly, admit as a competetive fighter melee is better than brawl and requires more work to be good at it. It has more combos/follow ups/more strategy. I ,however, do not agree that melee is by any means a better game than brawl or more fun. Smash bros has never been about combos or fast paced matches with 0-death strings if you play smart. Smashes best aspect is the ability to have complete control of your character in any situation and in that area brawl suceeds 100%. Every match is less like a fighter and more like an adventure with you trying end the other persons life. There are so many more situational things in brawl than in melee. Top players can't mindlessly steam role through the lesser players that don't have as much tech skill. They realize that 9 times out of 10 were all on equal playing fields with one of us possessing maybe 1 or 2 moves/surprises the other person hasn't seen which we have to use at the perfect time or waste it. Melee requires you to train and practise more but Brawl requires you to be smarter and personally I'd rather put my mind up against someone and see who can conquer each other first than a person who happens to have more free time than me and can end me in tournament without me having any control in the match. It's BECAUSE brawl allows you to play slow and pick your moments that makes it so good. And 9/10 melee players just aren't patient enough and are too nitpicky about every little detail that involves them not being able to *insert move here* to *easy read* to *offstage situation really easy to edgeguard*. Where brawl requires a continued string of reads to play out a match

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Well, let's think about this for a second. 1 or 2 hits and run away is what makes brawl so apealing
lmao what
They realize that 9 times out of 10 were all on equal playing fields with one of us possessing maybe 1 or 2 moves/surprises the other person hasn't seen which we have to use at the perfect time or waste it. Melee requires you to train and practise more but Brawl requires you to be smarter and personally I'd rather put my mind up against someone and see who can conquer each other first
Says the metaknight main.
And 9/10 melee players just aren't patient enough and are too nitpicky about every little detail that involves them not being able to *insert move here* to *easy read* to *offstage situation really easy to edgeguard*. Where brawl requires a continued string of reads to play out a match
You said earlier that you liked brawl because its like an adventure to end the opponent's life, right? Well in Melee, it's ACTUALLY an adventure to end the opponent's life. One read can win you a stock.
So, though you have to make less reads in Melee (which might not even be true), your reads are so much more important and impact the match.

Getting a correct read in Melee is so much more satisfying.

Sudai

Stuff here
Smash bros has never been about combos or fast paced matches with 0-death strings if you play smart.
Completely wrong. Both Smash 64 and Melee are all about being able to capitalize on an opponent's mistakes by comboing them. 64 even more so than Melee.

Melee requires you to train and practise more but Brawl requires you to be smarter and personally I'd rather put my mind up against someone and see who can conquer each other first than a person who happens to have more free time than me and can end me in tournament without me having any control in the match.
Top tier players steam roll lower tier players in Brawl all the ****ing time. Brawl does not require you to be smarter than melee at all. The smarter player in Melee tends to win even when they have a bit less tech skill. Do you think soccer is a bad game because pros steam roll low tier players due to having vastly superior technical prowess?

Where brawl requires a continued string of reads to play out a match
Once again, wrong. Melee requires reading DI and reading techs and that's just to allow a combo to continue. You seem to think that combos just happen in Melee when they really don't. It's just like brawl where you have to predict and/or react to situations to continue a string, you just get rewarded for it more in Melee. Not to mention the plethora of approach options that Melee present requiring even more reading/reacting on the part of both the attacker and defender than in Brawl.

I've played both on a competitive level so don't claim I don't know what I'm talking about. I was placing 2nd and 3rd consistently in LA and top 16 at HOBOs when I played Brawl seriously. Brawl is not a bad game by any means but the only thing you posted that it has over Melee is that it's slower paced, and some people prefer a slower pace. The rest is factually wrong.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
Completely wrong. Both Smash 64 and Melee are all about being able to capitalize on an opponent's mistakes by comboing them. 64 even more so than Melee.
What? did you not understand what I was saying? I said it's never been "about". I never said that those things weren't in there. Smash is about being able to control your character in any situation on a 2D playing field. Brawl gives you more control in that area than both melee and 64.

Top tier players steam roll lower tier players in Brawl all the ****ing time. Brawl does not require you to be smarter than melee at all. The smarter player in Melee tends to win even when they have a bit less tech skill. Do you think soccer is a bad game because pros steam roll low tier players due to having vastly superior technical prowess?
For one, top tier players don't "steam roll" lower tier players nearly as bad as they do in melee. And as proof of that, there are way more top brawl players than melee players. This last Apex was an example of that. Salem came out of nowhere and beat some of the best players brawl has upsetting everything. Yet, on the melee side top 8 were the same as it has been for the past 3 years with very slight changes. There is no way at all a random or a slightly well known player will ever have an upset and beat Armada,Dr PP, or Mango. It is possible but it's illogical to think so. And if you look back 64 has even less top players. Isai is the best and for a random to beat him is even more impossible than melee.

I think it's a pretty horrible analogy to compare soccer to smash........But if you want to go there. Did I say Melee was a bad game? I said it's a superior competitive fighter compared to brawl. Instead of jumping on me because you saw the words "rather" and "brawl" together how about you read what I said. Just like I think actual in real life soccer is better competitively than video game soccer. I don't think running around kicking a ball all day to be a top soccer player is more "FUN" than just doing it in your room and having more control over your outcomes. The payoff is better yes, but at its bare essentials the one which is more fun and easier to pick up wins out.

Once again, wrong. Melee requires reading DI and reading techs and that's just to allow a combo to continue. You seem to think that combos just happen in Melee when they really don't. It's just like brawl where you have to predict and/or react to situations to continue a string, you just get rewarded for it more in Melee. Not to mention the plethora of approach options that Melee present requiring even more reading/reacting on the part of both the attacker and defender than in Brawl.

I've played both on a competitive level so don't claim I don't know what I'm talking about. I was placing 2nd and 3rd consistently in LA and top 16 at HOBOs when I played Brawl seriously. Brawl is not a bad game by any means but the only thing you posted that it has over Melee is that it's slower paced, and some people prefer a slower pace. The rest is factually wrong.
Once again, instead of actually reading what I posted, it seems that you just skimmed over it. Don't act like you're the only person who has played both. Brawl obviously requires more reads than in melee. The entire game is based on reads lol. Strings hardly exist and reads take their place. Also don't make DI/reading techs sound harder than it is. In melee the more you play the easier it is to read that stuff till it's almost like a science. When you hit someone they don't have NEARLY as much options as in brawl and you can actually hit them into a pre-planned/practsed string. In brawl ,however, even Ally drops dthrow reads and when he does get them he had to be a lot smarter than covering the 1 or 2 options the same read requires in melee

Top Bottom