• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Pit and Palutena will probably start singing "Who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion?"

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Costumes would be great as a cool reference to the Badge Arcade but they'd probably be recolors based on other WarioWare characters.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Would you want Ashley recolours or costumes?
I think anyone would prefer costumes. I'd love to see Ashley be the "4th Link". Although costumes take more effort so they'll probably recolor Ashley to match the colors of the other WarioWare character cast. Sort of like how Lucina's colors swaps match the other female Awakening cast.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think anyone would prefer costumes. I'd love to see Ashley be the "4th Link". Although costumes take more effort so they'll probably recolor Ashley to match the colors of the other WarioWare character cast. Sort of like how Lucina's colors swaps match the other female Awakening cast.
There is a possibility there are more than 8 alts this time for some characters. Ridley had 8 alts in the demo if I recall, but we know he has a mecha alt. And there was little mac who had a ton of alts in smash 4. So there is a possibility Ashley could get both costumes and color references.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if we're getting a Direct before August. There is still a bunch of stuff to reveal about Wario Ware Gold and that would also be a good place to announce Wario Land VB and maybe even Wario Ware Switch. I kinda feel that such a Wario-focused Direct would be a great place to reveal a playable Ashley, specially with a bait-and-switch finishing trailer like the Inklings'.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm fully expecting at least one character a month til release. July or August

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Ashley would be best revealed during WarioWare Gold's release to raise awareness for the game, or even a Mini-Wario direct prior to the game's release. If not then, October. That is also the month Nintendo started pushing Ashley back in 2015 with the 3DS theme.

One Newcomer monthly would be about 5 before the game comes out in December, which fits perfectly as the game should have 5 more to round up the characters to a good 70. So either late July, early August or October. WW Gold drops pretty early in August, so a good time to reveal Ashley would be July to gain talk of WarioWare across the web.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think the Wario Land VB remake is definitely happening. There is a lot pointing to it, including trademarks. I can see Wario-themed Direct in late July, just before Wario Ware Gold's release, happening. You know, a Direct with the final trailer for Gold, Wario Land VB announcement, Wario Ware Switch reveal and confirming Ashley as a playable character in Smash. That would be great.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
He said that 3 years ago

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, and it is a very good sign that Sakurai has acknowledged her popularity. We may have less newcomers this time around, but I think Ashley can snag a spot, the only thing that will get in her way is if Sakurai thinks WarioWare doesn't need a second rep, but it is a big enough series to warrant another rep.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, and it is a very good sign that Sakurai has acknowledged her popularity. We may have less newcomers this time around, but I think Ashley can snag a spot, the only thing that will get in her way is if Sakurai thinks WarioWare doesn't need a second rep, but it is a big enough series to warrant another rep.
That's precisely the biggest argument against Ashley and also the reason why I say her chances would greatly increase if the 4chan 3DS leak is real. WarioWare Gold, Wario Land VB remake and a new WarioWare for the Switch would basically confirm that Wario definitely deserves his second rep.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Early on in speculation, after the reveal back in March people kept blurting out every third party character in the book as if they're all getting in. Problem is, 3rd party characters get bottle-necked for spots.

Many major 1st party contenders got deconfirmed or their chances look even worse after the E3 direct. I thought Ashley was in a good position prior to E3 but now her chances are looking even better.

Even if we get only five more non-echo Newcomers, I still see Ashley ahead of the chopping block. I'd also say, expecting only 5 Newcomers is being pessimistic.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
A lot of the characters I wanted either stayed as Assist, turned into an assist or became part of a Final Smash so Ashley is one of the few left I'm rooting for ;o

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know what WarioWare was prior to Brawl. I saw Wario and celebrated over the Mario spin-off roster getting another major character. Then I realized Wario got his own stage and had to ask my more knowledgeable friends "What is this?!"

People see Wario and say "Hey I know that guy from the Mario games!". No one ever says "Hey it's that guy from the WarioWare games!". If Ashley got in nobody would question she's an original WarioWare character.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'd like to think that in a perfect world, some of the assist trophies of popular characters would get promoted. Isaac and Ashley would be the top of that list for me, and they just happen to be among the few ATs that haven't been shown yet.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I'd like to think that in a perfect world, some of the assist trophies of popular characters would get promoted
Funnily enough my first prediction for Smash 5 was that most of the newcomers would be upgraded assist trophies. That probably stemmed from the fact that three characters that I wanted most were assists. Lyn, Takamaru, and of course Ashley.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Funnily enough my first prediction for Smash 5 was that most of the newcomers would be upgraded assist trophies. That probably stemmed from the fact that three characters that I wanted most were assists. Lyn, Takamaru, and of course Ashley.
Now there's two ways they could feasibly go about doing this. The first way is taking unique Assist Trophy characters (looking at the list of uncomfirmed trophies, Ashley, Isaac, Dillon, Saki, Skull Kid), and turn them into fully-fledged characters. The second and much lamer way is taking Dark Samus and Shadow and making them Echo Fighters. Will we get a combination of these? I hope so. I would be terribly upset if they only went down the latter route.

Last edited by a moderator:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I remember wanting Saki in Smash 4 but, Little Mac was the only Assist trophy in Brawl that upgraded. The thing about Ashley is that she's got a Mii costume and is still a relevant character.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
They'll probably find a new WarioWare character to take Ashley's place. I'm sure Kat and Ana will return. I could see Young Cricket and Master Mantis make a debut as an assist trophy.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Someone at a different thread came up with this: https://image.ibb.co/fCCWSy/Smashcircles.png

I don't think they're all accurate, but look at Robin. He is clearly showing his book to someone small. Considering Ashley is a witch, she is definitely a perfect fit. This might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it's a great argument in favor of Ashley.

A closer look:

I'd actually bet 5 bucks that Ashley will be added to that spot if she is actually in Smash. Everything fits: size, personality, magic-users.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Someone at a different thread came up with this: https://image.ibb.co/fCCWSy/Smashcircles.png

I don't think they're all accurate, but look at Robin. He is clearly showing his book to someone small. Considering Ashley is a witch, she is definitely a perfect fit. This might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it's a great argument in favor of Ashley.

A closer look:

I'd actually bet 5 bucks that Ashley will be added to that spot if she is actually in Smash. Everything fits: size, personality, magic-users.
Seeing that Doctor Mario is measuring Game & Watches heartbeat on the far left it does appear some of the characters are interacting with others. When Ridley was added he was put in on the far right. I do think the newcomers will take up the far ends when added.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
This is the kind of speculation I've missed.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
This is the kind of speculation I've missed.
It's a bet I can't lose, to be honest. The only way in which I would need to pay is if Ashley is added to Smash and she is placed somewhere else in the picture, but I'd still win because Ashley made it to Smash!

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman

A closer look:

What are the Red circles for? Are they just open spaces in which a newcomer could fit in?

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Just joined to give Ashley some support! Everyday she isn't deconfirmed is such a happy day. I hope they keep this going right into playable status!

Soo much going for her at present, being a female and them wanting to get the female count up to a respectable level,
Being a first party Nintendo character,
A new game coming out soon.
A lot of love the last two years with her themes selling amazingly well in japan, Plus badge arcade love.
Being an assist and getting a costume in Smash 4.
Having her theme not only remixed once in smash history, but twice! (in jp).
Her assist being MIA currently!

While all of this was stated before it's got me super hyped. The Warioware stage from the last game is MIA too along with the Kat And Ana assist trophy!
So I think they will be showing all of that off as a cross promotion for Warioware gold soon, with, I think we can all hope, a beautiful reveal for Ashley!
It just makes a lot of sense for them to be holding all this back and probably, an assist trophy to take over for Ashley's (jimmy t?) to push hype for warioware gold. Soon Guys, soon! The stars are aligning too perfectly.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

A closer look:

I definitely believe it. I can't think of another small magic user that is quite likely to be a newcomer like Ashley.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I definitely believe it. I can't think of another small magic user that is quite likely to be a newcomer like Ashley.
Kamek is like literally the only one I can think of that's in the realm of possibility to be there, but that's still at an absolute stretch, compared to Ashley.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Kamek is like literally the only one I can think of that's in the realm of possibility to be there, but that's still at an absolute stretch, compared to Ashley.
It would be kinda random. Sure we would be getting a villain and a Yoshi rep, but he isn't exactly popular or requested. Anyway, I hope the Ashley with Robin thing is true, not only because of Ashley being in the game, but it would spawn a ton of fanart of Robin teaching Ashley magic arts and I love that sort of heartwarming art.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
They brought back the Mushroom Kingdom U stage. Kamek was a stage hazard in that stage. Unless they pull and Alfonzo I don't see it happening.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
The Gamer stage has yet to return. I wonder why they didn't show it. I guess it's hard to position characters when being chased by 5-Volt. Even if the stage is revealed it would make Ashley seem even more likely.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
The Gamer stage has yet to return. I wonder why they didn't show it. I guess it's hard to position characters when being chased by 5-Volt. Even if the stage is revealed it would make Ashley seem even more likely.
I just hope the other regions outside of Japan get the Smash 4 Remix of Ashley's song. I like the new version!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hopefully Gamer returns, it was my favorite designed stage in Smash 4. I could see it in Ashley's trailer.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Almost certain they'll be showing that stage, the Kat and Ana AT and Ashley (fingers cross playable) Before the new Wario game is out, on july 27th! Marketing reasons and stuff.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Almost certain they'll be showing that stage, the Kat and Ana AT and Ashley (fingers cross playable) Before the new Wario game is out, on july 27th! Marketing reasons and stuff.
Yeah, that does bring up a good question. I remember last year we got a mini Fire Emblem direct in July shortly after E3. If the leaks are true and a new WarioWare switch and Wario Land VB are on the way then we could see a mini Wario direct. The 3DS wasn't mentioned in E3 at all so I'd like to imagine Nintendo will give WarioWare Gold another look especially if the game has a story mode.

Otherwise, we don't need a direct to reveal characters. I remember Robin and Lucina's trailer came out of the blue. They might just do that with Ashley maybe a week or so before WarioWare Gold is released.

Top Bottom