• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I like this one, it's similar to another idea I had with Ashley's trailer being in the style of Warioware. But instead of her gold design she's more like her original one with the long black socks, red shoes, etc.

Diamond city as a stage would work really well, you could have characters like Mona in the background, or perhaps even a stage hazard with her going around on her moped.

Another idea I had is if Simon actually is to come into Smash, they can both share a trailer, instead of a Vampire it's Witch Vs. Simon. But I'd actually prefer Ashley to be the start of her own trailer.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I think there doing it Smash 4 style where each character gets their own trailer. Simon Belmont will be the last character they reveal in the Smash direct before Smash comes out.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I would imagine Ashley's reveal to have the WarioWare style animations as well. I could see it start off with smoke coming from a cauldron. You can't see Ashley's face at first but then the smoke resides. You then see the title "Ashley brews a fight!" Then a new version (this will be the 4th remix) of Ashley's song starts playing.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Every day we don't get a deconfirmation I breathe a sigh of relief. While I think Ashely's chances are as good as ever I can't lie and say I'm convinced she'll be playable. She's my most wanted with Ridley out of the way.
I find Ashley has a lot of ways for a reveal trailer. But one starring Luigi's Mansion would be a great touch, perhaps it starts off with Luigi venturing into a
mansion with his poltergust ready in hand. Maybe he has a few friends with him, when looking around the mansion you can see two figures stalking them/him.

He hears a noise, he flashes his light to see a broom knocked over on the floor, he slowly walks over to it and while he does, you can make out a shadow behind him. Eyes glow red, Luigi looks at the viewer, he knows something is behind him, he slowly turns back and you hear a scream from them, then Luigi and Co being flung out from the mansion into a K.O, there Ashley is revealed along with Red.

This is my idea going with the Luigi's Mansion theme, I have some other ideas too.
This is pretty much the ideal reveal trailer. I feel like you can't not have Luigi in a mansion all spooked then Ashley comes out of nowhere mad that someone entered her home.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've somehow been converted into an Ashley supporter just reading through this thread and thinking of interesting new characters to add to Smash Ultimate. I know very little of her character from the actual games, but I've always liked her look and she seems quite popular in Japan. With Waluigi out, Wario could use a friend, and a Witch could certainly use a number of unique abilities. Just thinking about it, strangely, she just makes complete sense to me as an addition to the roster.

There's a lot of speculation given Assist Trophies not returning this time, which does strike me as odd that we haven't seen more of them. I don't think every one of them missing in action is going to be a character or an Echo character necessarily, but they've at least survived the first round of cuts. That's more than you can say for several characters we've already known. I doubt this was the entire set of assist trophies in the E3 build, and Sakurai will want to reveal more slowly throughout the next six months, but still... The idea instills me and many others with hope.

Another interesting thing is that Gamer isn't confirmed as a returning stage...which feels kind of odd. That was one of the more creative stages from Smash 4 that I think actually worked very well, and so much of Smash 4's lineup is already returning in terms of stages. Could they be saving it for perhaps an Ashley reveal?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've somehow been converted into an Ashley supporter just reading through this thread and thinking of interesting new characters to add to Smash Ultimate. I know very little of her character from the actual games, but I've always liked her look and she seems quite popular in Japan. With Waluigi out, Wario could use a friend, and a Witch could certainly use a number of unique abilities. Just thinking about it, strangely, she just makes complete sense to me as an addition to the roster.

There's a lot of speculation given Assist Trophies not returning this time, which does strike me as odd that we haven't seen more of them. I don't think every one of them missing in action is going to be a character or an Echo character necessarily, but they've at least survived the first round of cuts. That's more than you can say for several characters we've already known. I doubt this was the entire set of assist trophies in the E3 build, and Sakurai will want to reveal more slowly throughout the next six months, but still... The idea instills me and many others with hope.

Another interesting thing is that Gamer isn't confirmed as a returning stage...which feels kind of odd. That was one of the more creative stages from Smash 4 that I think actually worked very well, and so much of Smash 4's lineup is already returning in terms of stages. Could they be saving it for perhaps an Ashley reveal?
Haven't seen Gamer either, but in Wario's trailer you can see the WarioWare stage return. If Ashley got in though I think she could get a new stage in or outside of her mansion.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I think a Diamond City stage to give representation to the whole WW cast would be the best.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
It's possible every stage is returning. I'd imagine every franchise that had a new game in between Ultimate and 3DS/Wii U will get a new stage. We know the The Smash Ultimate Dev team is capable of receiving inside information from other games that coincide in development. A WarioWare Gold stage is in the realm of possibility.

From the Box art we can see a new character with a red ribbon in her hair to the left of Ashley. I wonder if they do anything with her. At the very least they'll probably make her a trophy for the WarioWare series.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
We've seen what 30 Assist trophies at this point? It was stated that there is going to be 50+ Assist trophys. We're more that halfway though the assist trophy deconfirmation. Ashley's got this!

splat

Smash Lord
We've seen what 30 Assist trophies at this point? It was stated that there is going to be 50+ Assist trophys. We're more that halfway though the assist trophy deconfirmation. Ashley's got this!
Keep in mind that not being an Assist Trophy anymore does not equal playable status, as shown by Isaac.

That being said, I really feel like she has a big shot this time around looking at how high she was rated in the Nintendo newcomer list in Source Gaming's Japanese poll, so I made a Smash Ultimate kind of stock icon as I'm finding myself more and more interested in Ashley.

AshleyIcon.png

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that not being an Assist Trophy anymore does not equal playable status, as shown by Isaac.

That being said, I really feel like she has a big shot this time around looking at how high she was rated in the Nintendo newcomer list in Source Gaming's Japanese poll, so I made a Smash Ultimate kind of stock icon as I'm finding myself more and more interested in Ashley.

View attachment 148709
That's possible, however, Ashley's associated with Wario. Isaac had nobody to reference him. Mr. Resetti is the only Brawl assist trophy cut that's from a series playable in Smash. It's understandable why they cut him, I doubt they'll just chuck Ashley out the Window!

Luminario

Smash Lord
Alright, let's talk about a reveal. What do you all think is a good way to reveal her?

I think something related to Luigi with his mansion. Including Red in some funny way.
I'm still kinda hoping for some sort of comical trailer with the various Smash character performing in a talent show. The judges could be Mario, Peach, and Wario, and the trailer cuts through various characters trying to impress the judges, like G&W juggling or Palutena putting on a light show (with Mario and Peach shielding their eyes from the light and Wario looking unfazed wearing sunglasses). Finally, the judges all look towards someone on stage who then casts a spell on a plant to turn it into the giant rose thorn monster, the camera pans to Ashley for the freeze frame, and gameplay ensues~

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It is very unlikely Rex will make the base roster, So Ashley is my most requested newcomer to make the base. No complaints from me about the rest of the newcomers if she makes it in at least. :p

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Ashley's all I wanted since Brawl. I can think of a good argument as to why she could be in (or in my opinion it's good) and I was holding my breath every time an Assist was shown during Treehouse and breathed a sigh of relief each time it wasn't her. I actually have hope this time, and it feels good. I'm just waiting on the Smash blog to deconfirm her now so I can go back to being bummed out.

There is no way Ashley would be removed as an Assist Trophy if she wasn't made playable.
We really don't know if she's been "removed" or not since the demo didn't have all 50+ trophies. It's nice to think so, though.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I'm just waiting on the Smash blog to deconfirm her now so I can go back to being bummed out.
There's no need to feel this way, there's more hope than you think. Considering Ashley is the top female fighter in Japan, which would make a good addition not only as a fighter but a female as well.

Going off by polls, she is usually in the top 5 in Japan, and the only female fighter so highly requested

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
There's no need to feel this way, there's more hope than you think. Considering Ashley is the top female fighter in Japan, which would make a good addition not only as a fighter but a female as well.

Going off by polls, she is usually in the top 5 in Japan, and the only female fighter so highly requested
I love your enthusiasm, but I've never seen official proof of this, nor that she is "usually in the top 5 in Japan." I love Ashley and want nothing more than to see her playable, but I'm trying to be realistic to avoid more disappointment. My usual argument for her is Badge Arcade/Nintendo pushing her in Japan (Halloween comic, Nintendo Dream magazine spread, 3DS themes, etc.)/Japanese popularity/WarioWare Gold advertising.

But realistically, something in me doesn't think she'll fit in the 'atmosphere' of the game. This time, the game focuses on everyone being back, the big previous stars showing up again, and our E3 newcomer was a huge boss villain. I'd love to see her, but I just don't think it's going to happen. If it does, I'm going competitive with her. I've never been competitive before.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Then you aren't looking hard enough. Ashley is by far the most requested female fighter in Japan.

Japanese reactions to Ridley consisted of mixed, most not really caring who he was or where he came from. They still want their newcomers, which a lot of requests are either for K.Rool, Waddle Dee and Ashley, it's very much a realistic possibility.

Which makes her the top most wanted female, which could hold a lot of weight to it seeing as Smash could use another female fighter or two. You could argue Village doesn't fit the atmosphere either, even the Wii Fit Trainer to some degree. This is Ashley's support thread, not "I don't think Ashley will happen" thread, be more positive, will ya? haha.

Anyway, a lot of people seem to think she has a very low chance of making it into Smash, but if you look around, do a bit of research and you'll find out sooner or later Ashley is a very possible fighter. Smash 4 has made her a blow out character, she is in numerous wanted lists, in Japan, she's heavily requested.

As an Ashley supporter since Smash Bros 4, I've dug around on the character for years and still do. They don't call me ThAshleyChannel for nothing! I know it she is realistic, even with the limited newcomer slots, we're 5 characters away from 70, so why not go the extra mile and add 5 more. Ashley is popular enough, well requested enough and has good moveset potential.

Her chances are high up there. We survived E3, we still have our chance. Think it high or low if you will, we have a chance.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, I do too, K.Rool would be a cool character no doubt but above all else, I want Ashley as the next playable character. As said before, she was treated well in Smash Bros 4. Assist trophy is one step up, having all her songs return plus a new updated version, being a Mii outfit which was probably from the ballot, 3ds Warioware was allowed two songs like the rest, they choose the standard WarioWare melody and to go along with it, Ashley's song.

There is no denying Ashley's popularity in Japan at this point.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Back during the Smash ballot days Source Gaming took a poll

Ashley took 13th place, however, 6 characters ahead of her are already confirmed for playable or AT. Banjo-Kazooie and Magolor don't seem likely at this point. personally, I never thought Bandana Dee was likely either. King K. Rool, Geno and of course, Ashley got those Mii outfits. That's saying something!

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman

Ashley took 13th place, however, 6 characters ahead of her are already confirmed for playable or AT. Banjo-Kazooie and Magolor don't seem likely at this point. personally, I never thought Bandana Dee was likely either. King K. Rool, Geno and of course, Ashley got those Mii outfits. That's saying something!
Ashley performance during the polls were probably hindered because people probably thought assist trophy characters and playable characters can't be in the game at the same time. I don't think Bandana Dee is likely either.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice

Does Sakurai care what some random news website thinks? Because I'm not seeing Ridley on that graph.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well, Sakurai said he put Ridley in for his strong western demand, which is why people think K.Rool and Ashley will cover Japanese demand.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Does Sakurai care what some random news website thinks? Because I'm not seeing Ridley on that graph.
It's a poll so it's not what the news website's opinion over the matter is. Source Gaming stated over 1,000 Japanese people submitted a vote. The results only show up to the top 19 so Ridley may have placed somewhere after. Ridley isn't as popular in Japan as he is in the west. Metroid games don't sell as well in Japan as in the west. Also, Ridley appeared in Smash 4 as a boss. Having appeared in the game already probably hindered the votes for him too.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
It's a poll so it's not what the news website's opinion over the matter is. Source Gaming stated over 1,000 Japanese people submitted a vote. The results only show up to the top 19 so Ridley may have placed somewhere after. Ridley isn't as popular in Japan as he is in the west. Metroid games don't sell as well in Japan as in the west. Also, Ridley appeared in Smash 4 as a boss. Having appeared in the game already probably hindered the votes for him too.
I hate being so negative about it, but seeing Ashley pop up in the daily picture on Miiverse made my heart skip a beat until I looked again and saw that she was an Assist. I don't want to go through that again.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I hate being so negative about it, but seeing Ashley pop up in the daily picture on Miiverse made my heart skip a beat until I looked again and saw that she was an Assist. I don't want to go through that again.
Ashley should have been an AT in Brawl and playable in 4! Better late than never I guess...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Consider me on board, I think Ashley's got a really great shot this time around. Massive popularity in Japan, all that promotional stuff outside of her own series, her Mii Costume in Smash 4 and her current absence among the Assist Trophy lineup... Currently one of the characters I'm expecting the most, honestly. Glad to say it too, I love her and she could be super fun.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Don't fret about it too much. Is it possible Ashley could not be playable? Yes, but worrying about it is not going to change anything.

Honestly, I believe this is her time to shine considering that she has extreme popularity and the April 1st Crazy Galaxy game joke.

So don't worry about it and let us see what happens.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Count me in on the support. She seems to have about everything she needs to become a fighter and then some. Not my most wanted choice, but definitely in my top 5.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Then you aren't looking hard enough. Ashley is by far the most requested female fighter in Japan.

Japanese reactions to Ridley consisted of mixed, most not really caring who he was or where he came from. They still want their newcomers, which a lot of requests are either for K.Rool, Waddle Dee and Ashley, it's very much a realistic possibility.

Which makes her the top most wanted female, which could hold a lot of weight to it seeing as Smash could use another female fighter or two. You could argue Village doesn't fit the atmosphere either, even the Wii Fit Trainer to some degree. This is Ashley's support thread, not "I don't think Ashley will happen" thread, be more positive, will ya? haha.

Anyway, a lot of people seem to think she has a very low chance of making it into Smash, but if you look around, do a bit of research and you'll find out sooner or later Ashley is a very possible fighter. Smash 4 has made her a blow out character, she is in numerous wanted lists, in Japan, she's heavily requested.

As an Ashley supporter since Smash Bros 4, I've dug around on the character for years and still do. They don't call me ThAshleyChannel for nothing! I know it she is realistic, even with the limited newcomer slots, we're 5 characters away from 70, so why not go the extra mile and add 5 more. Ashley is popular enough, well requested enough and has good moveset potential.

Her chances are high up there. We survived E3, we still have our chance. Think it high or low if you will, we have a chance.
Wait, is Dee that popular with Japanese audiences? That would be news to me.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
I came by to show my support for Ashley! After E3 it looks like her chances are even better. I got my Inklings but i'll be rooting for Ashley too!

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Going off by the polls from Japan, yeah, Dee is pretty requested among them. Also, we got Ashley stickers, at least I'm sure they are.

Along with the rest of the cast, however, Ashley is the only one off on her own. Nintendo knows Ashley sells, if Japan wants stickers they'll want Ashley more. Ashley's future is looking brighter and brighter! Hopefully she does end up being playable.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Wow the Ashley thread really took off and became lively after the announcements! I kind of took a break but now I'm itching with hype! Ashley's chances are looking good!

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Going off by the polls from Japan, yeah, Dee is pretty requested among them. Also, we got Ashley stickers, at least I'm sure they are.

Along with the rest of the cast, however, Ashley is the only one off on her own. Nintendo knows Ashley sells, if Japan wants stickers they'll want Ashley more. Ashley's future is looking brighter and brighter! Hopefully she does end up being playable.
Haha! Japan's really big on those stickers! Good for Ashley!

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman

Wait what are those stickers from? Do they come with the new WarioWare Gold game?

Top Bottom