• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
15 seems pretty old for her, not sure what the american localizers were thinking hehe. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as they never redesign her to look that old.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
15 seems pretty old for her, not sure what the american localizers were thinking hehe. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as they never redesign her to look that old.
They can always plead the “artstyle/short angle”, though Crazy Galaxy Ashley is apparently definitely an adult.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
They can always plead the “artstyle/short angle”, though Crazy Galaxy Ashley is apparently definitely an adult.
Yeah it's not unheard of in anime and video games for Child looking characters to really be 15 or above so I wouldn't be suprised or care all that much. I just find that trope a bit of a cop out.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
And on that topic, I seriously hope one of Ashley's taunts are her calling the other player "Pathetic."

Oh, and no, Wario's victory theme is based on Wario Land's Stonecarving city, maybe give her something from WarioWare like the jingle or even Ashley's victory theme from Game and Wario.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So you guys think Ashley should get the normal WarioWare victory theme or her own special one?
Wasn't the WarioWare victory theme original to Brawl, and then became a song in Wario Land? If that's the case, I personally would prefer to see a new one for Ashley, as Ashley has no affiliation with Land. If I'm wrong, then nevermind.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ashley's original jump to breakout stardom, outstripping the WarioWare main characters, was with her theme song, so I'd be shocked if she didn't have it as a victory riff. That said, Ridley just has a dark remix of the "Find item!" Metroid theme, while having a fitting music of his own, so who knows?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It'd be cool if Ashley would be a kind of ambassador to warioware, and there could be other warioware characters in her victory animations or taunts or something, because really Wario is mostly just representing wario, not warioware. I think Ashley would fit right for the role, seeing as she's the most popular of it right now. :)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, you can add a supporter! Ashley is definitely my top one priority for Smash right now, along Medusa.

So you guys think Ashley should get the normal WarioWare victory theme or her own special one?
Considering the treatment for characters such as Dark Pit or Rosalina, it definitely would not be surprising to have her theme as a Victory theme. This song is just so popular.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Part of me thinks that the level finish theme from Ashley's Game & Wario game would work well (like in Super Mario Maker), but then I remember ... Ashley's Theme. It's just too iconic.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I like to see Ashley in smash ultimate I didn't know shes a popular character Im on board with more females is like asking Diddy Kong for Smash add me in the support list oh she might be likely because of the Mii Costume in smash 4 thats something to think about even her new song in Gamer her chances is 60%.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I've only returned to this site recently, so there are a lot of posts to read in the threads of characters I support, but I just wanted to quickly comment here to voice my support of Ashley. She was in my top 10 most wanted for SSB4 and she remains in my top 10 most wanted for SSBU.

Since then, her chances have just gone up and up, to the point where I consider her one of the most likely newcomers to be added. Newcomer selection is supposedly limited to an unknown degree, but even with that I still feel Ashley has incredibly strong chances.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think a higher priority will be held for female fighters? Or do you think gender wont be much of a factor this time around?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Do you guys think a higher priority will be held for female fighters? Or do you think gender wont be much of a factor this time around?
I don't think gender was ever a factor to begin with. The fact that a lot of female fighters got added last time was all chalked up to the fact that there were a lot of female characters who had amazing potential for movesets, Sakurai saw it and added them.

I seriously doubt the gender of a character has ever been considered when whether or not to add them to Smash Brothers.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Bawl was criticized for its lack of females. I don't know if it came to the attention of Sakurai but, it would be safe to assume multiple suggestions were made. I don't think Sakurai was pressured in person (maybe over social media) to add females it might have been more so a feeling of obligation. Personally, I do think Sakurai wanted to be more inclusive to the female demographic of the Smash fan base.

Smash 4 certainly received a great deal of Female fighters. I remember there were debates that got out of hand because people wanted more female characters and the ones they were suggesting others thought were stupid choices. I was certainly a sensitive subject.

Even though the Inkling and Daisy were added to Ultimate I don't see as much request for more female characters this time around. For, that reason people seem to be satisfied. People like Ashley because she's cute and adorable which I would say those traits are connected to her gender and age (even though we don't truly know her age). If Sakurai feel he needs more characters that exemplify those traits then he would hold Ashley at a high priority.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I don't think Sakurai took too much consideration in this, though I feel it had a slight affect.

Not to sound weird, but when you get down to it, SSB4 only had 2 purely Female additions with original move-sets; Rosalina and Palutena. Lucina was added in as a quick clone, whilst Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Robin, and Mii Fighters are all gender options (with only one of them having the female option as the default selection). There is also Wendy, who is just a skin of Bowser Jr. So whilst there were plenty of female additions, it hardly seemed to be a focus point, and often was just a side affect of Sakurai giving gender option to certain characters.

I feel if Sakurai was making female inclusion a focus in SBB4, we'd have gotten more original move-set characters such as say... Dixie Kong or are here supported Ashley. He addressed the issue of a lack of female fighters, but in a... less direct way.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm just shooting from the hip here, but I don't think gender has a lot to do with Sakurai picking characters. I think he prioritizes star power and moveset potential, and if the character in question is a female, more power to 'em.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well with Ashley and maybe Dixie and Elma, I think the roster has a healthy amount of female reps. But of course the more the merrier.

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Does the Blog on the Smash Website get updated around a certain time? I feel like every time I check up on it I see yesterdays post.

So far we're only seeing coverage of what we already know from the E3 presentation. I guess within a few weeks we'll be surprised with new stages and ATs. when that starts happening I'll be on the edge of my seat for Ashley!

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Does the Blog on the Smash Website get updated around a certain time? I feel like every time I check up on it I see yesterdays post.

So far we're only seeing coverage of what we already know from the E3 presentation. I guess within a few weeks we'll be surprised with new stages and ATs. when that starts happening I'll be on the edge of my seat for Ashley!
From what I've noticed, the blog gets updated on a nightly basis, as opposed to the last two blogs' morning schedule. And, if I remember correctly, it took a few weeks for the Sm4sh blog to start rolling out new information, too. With how much info was dumped last Tuesday, it might be a while before you get to the edge of your seat, haha.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman

During the Smash 4 days the I remember it took a while for the Miiverse pic of the day to start showing content that had not been shown at E3.

Olimar was the earlier characters to be revealed to correlate and bring attention to Pikmin 3 when it was being released in July 2013. Same thing happened when Diddy Kong was revealed for Tropical Freeze in February 2014. Fortunately, all the veterans have been revealed to come back so we don't have to wait on a slow re-reveal process and debate on whether a veteran will be cut.

Ashley's AT was revealed in January of 2014 which was about half-way through the Smash 4 speculation. I'd like to think Ashley was initially planned (or at the very least heavily considered) to be in the roster but, had to be cut due to time constraints and was reverted to an AT towards the end of development to compensate.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Going off by this, if Ashley STILL isn't seen by WarioWare Gold's release it would raise a lot of questions. I hope we have some kind of Direct in mid-July that shows off WarioWare Gold and other titles, and then at the end Ashley reveal!

At least this is what I hope for. But if Ashley is still unheard of even with Gold's release it's safe to assume her chances shoot up higher. Instead, we see the return of Kat and Ana as assists, maybe even a new WarioWare assist like Mona or Young Cricket

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I think the big dates for Ashley are July, before WarioWare Gold's release, and October, Halloween. If she is Smash, she should be announced in one of these two months.

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
If any WarioWare content is revealed on the release day for WarioWare Gold and Ashley is still missing it will look very suspicious.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Going off by this, if Ashley STILL isn't seen by WarioWare Gold's release it would raise a lot of questions. I hope we have some kind of Direct in mid-July that shows off WarioWare Gold and other titles, and then at the end Ashley reveal!

At least this is what I hope for. But if Ashley is still unheard of even with Gold's release it's safe to assume her chances shoot up higher. Instead, we see the return of Kat and Ana as assists, maybe even a new WarioWare assist like Mona or Young Cricket
If they don't show her before Warioware Gold is out I'll be pretty worried myself, haha.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
We've only seen two Smash Ultimate trailers, but the Inkling one did coincide with Octo Expansion in the March Direct. While it's human nature to see a trend where one hasn't necessarily surfaced, I would advise keeping something in consideration: we don't know how many newcomers there will be. For all we know, it's a single-digit number, and Sakurai wants to keep them close to the chest. Not to mention, that Inkling trailer could be an anomaly, as Nintendo needed a segue to actually announce the new Smash game; the trailer was less about Inkling and more about "OMG NEW SMASH BROS".

In other words, don't get your hopes up for Ashley in July, but also don't fret if she isn't announced when you want her to. This game will have a public development cycle of less than a year, so speculation won't be able to naturally thrive the way it did with Sm4sh. By the time we start to detect a pattern in newcomer announcements, we'll own the game.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Zabadoo. I'm personally expecting Ashley to come in October rather than July, myself. She is a Halloween character, after all.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If they don't show her before Warioware Gold is out I'll be pretty worried myself, haha.
I'm hesitant to really worry about that. Ridley was literally the only Metroid we got at E3, and nothing for Prime 4 in sight yet.

There's always a possibility they won't match up this time. Will WarioWare Gold really have that much fanfare? They could show her whenever they wanted, tbh.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Timeline A: Ashley is revealed for WarioWare Gold

Timeline B: Ashley is not revealed for WarioWare Gold. WarioWare Switch is revealed later this year with Ashley afterwards.

Timeline C: Ashley is not revealed until after the game is release and we have to unlock her to find out.

Timeline D: I don't want to think about it...

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Timeline A: Ashley is revealed for WarioWare Gold

Timeline B: Ashley is not revealed for WarioWare Gold. WarioWare Switch is revealed later this year with Ashley afterwards.

Timeline C: Ashley is not revealed until after the game is release and we have to unlock her to find out.

Timeline D: I don't want to think about it...
There's always DLC

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Let's face it WarioWare Switch is not a matter of if but WHEN. If WarioWare Switch is in the near future then that will help Sakurai reconsider. Especially if it comes to DLC.

Ashley has a lot of safety nets this time around.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

I can't confirm this, but i've heard from somewhere that a Yokai Watch rep said there was gonna be a 3ds direct in July, and one of the things in there would be the localization of Yokai Watch 3. Don't know if true though, but id believe it considering the lack of 3ds at E3. Also Ashley has already been shown for WarioWare Gold, but only as a Sticker atm.

Last edited:

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I think he means if she is unseen as an AT in Smash U itself. But I'm not sure we're getting a new demo and the blog is probably going to go through the already revealed stuff first.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman

We see Ashley on the official WarioWare Gold box art. Obviously the more popular characters are next to Wario. God forbid they put Ashley upside-down!

Top Bottom