• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
You know, as long as Ashley and K. Rool get in, I can't say I'll have much of an opinion on the other newcomers. All I need are those two and this roster will truly be ultimate, in my personal opinion. Anything else - even if they're all Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters - would be icing on the already-perfect cake.
I feel the same way as long as they keep Sponge Bob, Shrek, and Goku away from Smash.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
What are your thoughts on Ashley getting her hand lightning Zappy attack from her minigame in Game and wario?
It's funny you mention it. I was drumming up a rough idea for a moveset the other day, and I made her Standard B that lightning move. I thought it'd be cool if it functioned like a slower and weaker fusion of Palutena's auto-reticle and Fox's blaster, but you could charge it up for a more powerful projectile that sacrifices the homing aspect for more damage.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
What are your thoughts on Ashley getting her hand lightning Zappy attack from her minigame in Game and wario?
I think it should be either her neutral B or side B. Maybe have it charge like static electricity as time passes. Sort of like R.O.B.'s lazer.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
It's funny you mention it. I was drumming up a rough idea for a moveset the other day, and I made her Standard B that lightning move. I thought it'd be cool if it functioned like a slower and weaker fusion of Palutena's auto-reticle and Fox's blaster, but you could charge it up for a more powerful projectile that sacrifices the homing aspect for more damage.
That'd be pretty fun, I could definetly see it sort of like that.

I think it should be either her neutral B or side B. Maybe have it charge like static electricity as time passes. Sort of like R.O.B.'s lazer.
That'd make a lot of sense, Having it be a bit of time to charge up the shock sounds fun, would also kind of tie her in with Wario since one if his moves is on a timer also.

Seems the consensus is it being tied to Neutral B.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think it would be nice as a standard attack (akin to Zelda's magic and Rosalina's space-themed attacks). I believe it would be slightly lackluster as a B-move, although it is a possibility.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Ha! If Sakurai did that it would be the Ultimate troll of the History of Sakurai's trolling!

Get it?! ULTIMATE TROLL!!!
Hahaha. My most pie in the sky wish would have her alternates would be her dressed up like the other warioware cast members.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Eh...Pokémon's got 9 now! Spread the Wealth! Give Wario a second rep!
Hell, Pokemon could stand to do that. At this point, of the 9 Pokemon we have, 6 are from Gen 1, and one is the Pikachu pre-evolution from Gen 2.... Speaking of a colorful cast of characters, Pokemon has so many choices that it's a little absurd that they haven't pulled more from other generations, which is why I see us getting a new Pokemon rep too.

Back on topic, that leak falls apart even more when the statement of 10 members of the press know this... What an absurdly low and seemingly random number of people to reveal all of Smash to. While I get the angle of Ashley appearing seeming more credible, I suspect that's what people making up fake leaks are aiming for anyway. Ashley isn't as obvious a pick, but I'm sure her growing popularity has put her on the radar of several people.

I think if there is anything that's really quite hopeful for Ashley's chances, it's the fact that Sakurai seems to base Wario almost entirely around the WarioWare series. All of his stages have come from WarioWare, as have the assist trophies, and his move set. That has earned him a lot of criticism from fans of Wario Land, but I think with that in mind, he obviously acknowledges WarioWare on a fairly sizable scale.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Hell, Pokemon could stand to do that. At this point, of the 9 Pokemon we have, 6 are from Gen 1, and one is the Pikachu pre-evolution from Gen 2.... Speaking of a colorful cast of characters, Pokemon has so many choices that it's a little absurd that they haven't pulled more from other generations, which is why I see us getting a new Pokemon rep too.
This is because Gen 1 is by far the most popular and recognizable to general audiences. Look at the recent success of Pokemon Go and the big pivot Game Freak is making with "Lets Go!". I do think we'll see Decidueye or Lycanroc though, because Sakurai likes to add at least one new Pokemon per game.

As for Ashley, I'm completely in support of her, but I think the relatively smaller number of newcomers this time around might hurt her chances, since she represents a smaller series that already has a representative in Wario.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
To support this rumor, I thought this was an interesting read:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...east-half-dozen-characters-still-be-revealed/

Furthermore, someone in the comments section of this article mentioned the following:

"I know nobody will trust this leak I'm posting but I will leave it here so when the reveals do happen I'll have it. Only 10 members of the press know this info from E3 as well.
8 brand newcomers and 3 echo fighters.
Newcomers are: Inkling, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Chorus Kids, King K. Rool, Elma from Xenoblade X, Dixie Kong (not a clone), and Ashley.
The echo fighters are Daisy, Dark Samus and Octoling.
For evidence, Ashley has yet to appear as her assist trophy from 4 in any ultimate footage show so far. Official or otherwise. This leak was also passed around at the convention the day before the direct even aired."

Now, I obviously believe all of the information above is total BS until officially confirmed, but man, that is definitely a plausible lineup of newcomers if it's true.

Leaks always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but yeah that roster does look likely (maybe too likely lol). My heart would be broken if Octolings got in as echo fighters over Impa or Chrom, but honestly that would be a solid line-up, and K Rool, Dixie, Ashley, and Dark Samus would more than make up for that.

It is interesting that Ashley is appearing in leaks though. I mean, even if it is BS, she's now appearing next to the likes of K Rool, which is a good sign for her popularity and possible inclusion.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
It's funny how a missing AT changes everyone's opinion.
Well yeah, especially in certain cases it raises an eyebrow more than others. Of course in the end we could be over thinking things, I do personally believe it does increase our girls chances.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I would say her natural B should be a charged shot as she does on Game N' Wario. She could probably shoot it out fast, perhaps it even auto shoots where the player is upon hitting B, like how she automatically shoots in her own game.

I can see most of her specials involving Red in some way (excluding natural B), if they will be working as a team Red should be a big part of her moveset. Heck, it would be pretty cute if her natural air was spinning around and letting her hair slap people. Honestly, I think most of her air based attacks would be mostly made up specifically for the game.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Ashley will be the Tessa from Red Earth hey Capcom how come Tessa wasn't a rival of Dr.Strange. The reason why I didn't put Ashley on my list because Warioware aint a big franchise as Donkey Kong or Yoshi. There this one chance that Ashley might be a assist trophy if Ashley playable I think Mona will take her place.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I want to temper my expectations for Ashley so bad, but every passing day just makes me more and more excited for her potential reveal. Which is why my spirit will be irreparably crushed if she gets a post on the Smash Blog as an Assist Trophy.

On another topic, what spells do you think Ashley could use for her other specials? I see a lot of talk of lightning fingers for neutral-B, but I'm havin' a hard time coming up with any other spells.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
On another topic, what spells do you think Ashley could use for her other specials? I see a lot of talk of lightning fingers for neutral-B, but I'm havin' a hard time coming up with any other spells.
I really want a random debuff spell, like her Assist Trophy. Either a projectile or a area of effect, but such a move would be unique. Shrinking, poison (Lip's flower effect), weakening attacks even... There's potential.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I really want a random debuff spell, like her Assist Trophy. Either a projectile or a area of effect, but such a move would be unique. Shrinking, poison (Lip's flower effect), weakening attacks even... There's potential.
Super Smash Bros Crusade's version of Ashley had a side-B where, if it hit the opponent, it would make them heavier for a short period of time. However, it also had a slight chance to backfire and make Ashley heavier instead.

I think something like that would be cool, but either way, you're right. A debuff move would be sweet (and not something we've seen before if I remember right).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's funny how a missing AT changes everyone's opinion.
Yeah. A few times in Smash 4 speculation that came back to bite us. (The Isaac fandom most of all), but this time...I dunno.

In Ashley's case, the timing is perfect for her to have been considered. She was experiencing a miniature renaissance with her own sort of spinoff thing, and was reaching a popularity peak around the time of roster decisions.

For another AT in similar circumstances, Dark Samus is an easy echo to envision, and would give people more Prime stuff. I don't imagine Dark Samus was planned that early, given how Echoes *seem* to be handled, but as a response to Metroid mania it might've been a good choice? All of that is conjecture of course unless Sakurai says otherwise. But regardless of *that*, both the AT missing and the replaced color palette are in DS' favor.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros Crusade's version of Ashley had a side-B where, if it hit the opponent, it would make them heavier for a short period of time. However, it also had a slight chance to backfire and make Ashley heavier instead.

I think something like that would be cool, but either way, you're right. A debuff move would be sweet (and not something we've seen before if I remember right).
Technically, there's Jigglypuff, with Sing and Rest, but in Rest's case, it's not really the goal of the move. Edit: Now that I think about it, Inklings' Ink lowers defenses, and Bayonetta's witch time slows the opponent.

Anyway, a "transforming others" move would still be unique.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I want to temper my expectations for Ashley so bad, but every passing day just makes me more and more excited for her potential reveal. Which is why my spirit will be irreparably crushed if she gets a post on the Smash Blog as an Assist Trophy.

Here's an Ashley moveset I made about a month or so ago (on page 3... before all y'all newbies came and flooded the place!).

Ashley

Character Concept: Zoner/Debuffer. Ashley is a slow and floaty character. Most of her normals/smashes/aerials are also relatively weak. However, her specials are what capitalizes on her abilities as a spellcaster. She can trap and control opponents and the stage with her side and down specials, and harm the opponent with several ranged debuffs.

Normals

· Jab: Multihitting move. Red pops out and swipes twice with his pitchfork, and then jabs repeatedly.
· Side Tilt: Ashley produces dark magic slightly away from her, hitting opponents with darkness. This has great range (similar to the range of Mega Man’s jab/side tilt).
· Up Tilt: Ashley waves her doll above her in an arc.
· Down Tilt: Ashley swipes her wand down, dealing minimal damage but tripping the opponent.
· Dash Attack: From her running animation, Ashley twirls and spins a decent distance, hitting opponents in her path.

Smash Attacks

· Note: All Smash Attacks cause Ashley’s hair to turn white.
· Side Smash: Ashley points her wand forward and a purple explosion will appear in front of her.
· Up Smash: Ashley charges up her wand and raises it in the air. A small thunderbolt will hit the wand and create a small field around it. It will not have the same range as Pikachu, but will cover above her and to the sides.
· Down Smash: Red pops out and circles around Ashley, swiping the ground with his pitchfork.

Aerials

· Neutral Air: Ashley spins around with her wand protruding outwards. Similar to Villager’s N-Air.
· Forward Air: Quickly swipes forward with her wand. This has good range as the “swipe” produces a darkness effect in front of it.
· Back Air: Ashley turns around slightly and smacks the opponent with her doll.
· Up Air: Red becomes a parasol and Ashley whacks opponents upward. Good for juggling.
· Down Air: Red spikes with his pitchfork. Spiking move.

Grabs

· Red pops out of Ashley’s hands and grabs at the opponent. This has great range, and can act as a tether, but like most characters with great-ranged grabs, it has long ending lag, so use carefully!
· Pummel: Red hits the character on the head with the hilt of his pitchfork.
· Forward Throw: Red shapeshifts into a Venus Flytrap and bites the opponent, sending them forward.
· Back Throw: Ashley grabs Red’s tail and yanks him backward, causing the player to be thrown behind her. This is her best killing move.
· Up Throw: Red throws the opponent upwards, jabbing them with his pitchfork.
· Down Throw: Red turns into a broom and sweeps the opponent down.

Specials

· Neutral Special: Hocus Pocus! Similar in function to Shulk’s Monado arts, press B to shift through Ashley’s 4 different hexes. Once activated, press B again to shoot out a hex that will have some effect on the opponent. These spells have great range, covering a distance of about half of Final Destination. If an opponent is hit by the spell, it lasts for 10 seconds. Once a hex is active, you are unable to activate this move again until the current hex/debuff is over.
o Attack Drop: Ashley becomes surrounded by red tinge. An average-moving spell when shot out. Lowers the damage output of the opponent (0.7x less damage) when active.
o Defense Drop: Ashley becomes surrounded by green tinge. An average-moving spell when shot out. More knockback taken to the character (1.2x more) when active.
o Speed Drop: Ashley becomes surrounded by blue tinge. A quick-moving spell when out. Lowers the speed of the opponent (0.7x less) when active.
o Poison: Ashley becomes surrounded by purple tinge. A slow-moving spell when shot out. Deals poison damage over time to the player (overall does about 15% damage)
o Note: Ashley will lose the tinge around her when the hex lands; the character hit with the spell will then have that color when the hex is active (this makes it easier to see who is debuffed and when you can use this move again!).

· Side Special: Lightning Bolt. Press Side-B once for a quick spark of lightning to shoot out of Ashley’s hand. Holding the Side-B will make three lightning bolts shoot out in succession. These can be angled up or down, depending on the situation. One spark of lightning has similar damage/knockback to a fireball.

· Up Special: Broom Ascent. Ashley ascends upward with her broom. The entire broom has a hitbox. You can direct it a la Fox/Falco’s Up Special.

· Down Special: Cauldron Mine. Similar to Snake’s mines. Two-turn setup. Press Down-B once and Ashley pulls out a small cauldron, placing it where she is standing. Press Down-B again and she will point her wand to the cauldron, causing it to explode.

Final Smash
· Pantalones Giganticus: Ashley swipes a hex forward, and it travels in a straight path. Anyone caught in the path will be transported to a cutscene. Ashley enlarges them and yells out her spell “Pantalones Giganticus!”. Instead of it doing what it is supposed to do, nothing happens. Ashley then sighs “Oh no, not again” as the characters instead explode, knocking them backwards as a finishing blow.

The Final Smash is dumb, but funny. Realistically, it'd be the Venus Flytrap or something along those lines.

Luminario

Smash Lord

I have a moveset I made for her months ago.
Ashley clearly has the makings of a viable debuff mage character, capable of inflicting a variety of weaknesses onto opponents into order to hinder their stats and abilities. Being a mage, Ashley has a variety of ranged attacks, but is incredibly light due to being so small. As with all her appearances she doesn't have many voice lines.

Entrance: Ashley flies in on her broom, she gets off and the broom (who is actually Red) turns into her wand.
Idle: Ashley just stands there, looking pretty bored.

Jab: 2 swipes with the wand followed by a jab forward with the base forward.
Flurry: the skull spellbook appears in front of Ashley, opens, and starts wildly turning pages as an attack. Flurry finisher is the book closing abruptly. Keep in mind the spellbook is almost as tall as Ashley is herself.
Ftilt: Spin then downward swipe with the wand.
Utilt: Spins the wand skyward, knocking opponents above away. Good vertical range.
Dtilt: Upwards swipe with the wand. Very good combo starter.
Dash: Ashley magically spins the wand in front of her. Multihit. Think Mewtwo's dash attack with an item from Melee.

Fsmash: Ashley holds out her wand, and a vicious purple explosion appears just in front of her. Bit of a startup but very strong and her most reliable kill move.
Usmash: Ashley summons her skull spellbook above her and after a small startup the book shoots an orb of dark energy straight upwards. The orb reaches slightly less than Palutena's Usmash and gets weaker the further it travels.
Dsmash: Ashley grabs her wand with both hands and turns it as if she's mixing something in a cauldron, while a whirlpool of dark energy appears on the ground around her feet, sucking people in then blasting them out. Pretty similar to Peach's Dsmash.

Nair: Lets go of her wand in front, before it spins wildly and goes around Ashley once in a clockwise direction.
Fair: Ashley brings out a small vial of an unknown substance and throws it forwards in a slight arc. If this vial hits an opponent or the ground it creates a small explosion. Bit of a startup and can be reflected.
Bair: Ashley turns her wand back into Red and holds his hand as she turns around backwards. Red then swipes with his trident at those behind her. Good range but weak unless you get the trident sweetspot.
Uair: Ashley turns her wand into an umbrella and opens it above her for a second. This attack slightly halts her falling momentum. Quite a bit of endlag.
Dair: Grabbing the top of the wand, Ashley jabs the base downward fast.

Grab: Red turns back to imp form and tries to grab anyone in front.
Pummel: Red jabs the opponent with his trident.
Fthrow: Red wails on the opponent a few times before hitting them away.
Bthrow: Red turns into the broom, flying the opponent around Ashley before swatting them away behind her.
Uthrow: Red turns back into the wand and Ashley cast a spell rune on the ground below the opponent which shoots up a pillar of dark fire.
Dthrow: Red turns into the broom and whacks the opponent from above, shooting them up. Good combo throw.

B: Hex. Upon pressing B Ashley summons her spellbook and begins charging a curse. Pressing B while the book is out will let you cycle through the different curses available to you, shown by the colour the book is currently glowing and a symbol above it. It takes around 2 seconds to charge a curse and if you change to a different curse the charge time is reset and you'll have to wait another 2 seconds. When the curse is fully changed Ashley will stop charging and her wand will start to glow in the colour of the curse charged. Upon pressing B with a curse charged Ashley will cast a lightning bolt forward (around the range of Ness' PK Fire) and anyone hit will be affected by the current curse. Can be reflected and can't be stacked, so the new curse takes over the old one. There are 4 curses available:
Red: Attack Hex. Symbol is two swords crossing. Lowers how much % and knockback the opponent's attacks do.
Blue: Defence Hex. Symbol is a shield. Raises how much % and knockback opponent recieves from attacks.
Green: Speed Hex. Symbol is a wing. Lowers land and air speed. Doesn't last as long as the other curses.
Yellow: Item Hex. Symbol is a Present Box. Causes the opponent to immediately drop any item they pick up, including ones summoned in matches like Link's Bombs and Peach's Vegetables.

Side B: Sigil. Ashley shoots a projectile from her spellbook straight forwards. Without any Hex charge, this is simply a weak ball of dark energy, but with the Hex charge this attack does a variety of things depending on the colour of the charge. Uses up the Hex charge.
No charge: Weak ball of dark energy. Alright pestering tool similar to Lucas' PK Fire and travels slightly further than it but with more endlag.
Red charge: Powerful firey explosion with large blind spot near Ashley. Essentially Palutena's Explosive Flame with less size.
Blue charge: Shoots 3 fast icicles forwards, one after the other at different heights.
Green charge: Shoots a green ball quickly forward that then slows and stops before popping a couple of seconds later and sending a windbox away from it. Opponents that touch the ball before it pops will make it pop immediately and take damage.
Yellow charge: Creates a rotating star in front for just a second that reflects. Hits through opponents shields like Palutena's Reflect but hits the opponent away further.

Up B: Broom Ride. Ashley turns the wand into a broom and flies it in a straight line in any direction chosen. Around the same range as Fox's Up B. quick with a slight hitbox on the broom.

Down B: Rose's Thorns. After quite a bit of startup, summons a miniture version of the rose monster plant from Smooth Moves in front of Ashley. This plant then stays still on the ground with only its head visible until an enemy comes into range and it chomps upwards like a Pirahna Plant. Due to its head being so visible it's easy to take out with any attack. Mostly used to cover ledge options but other strategies can easily be worked in with using it.

Final Smash: Hocus Pocus. The dark cloud from her days as an Assist Trophy. Her version of Luigi's Negative Zone.

Taunt 1: Red turns back into imp form at her side and strikes a pose, as Ashley brings out her bunny and hugs it.
Taunt 2: Ashley turns away from the camera before turning her head slightly to face it as her eyes shine red for a second.
Taunt 3: Ashley turns her wand slowly as stars spin around her, just like in her Smooth Moves cutscene before she casts her spell.
To sum it up the concept is debuffer, where she cycles through the different curses she can cast with B. Side B uses the curse charge from B in different ways, Up B is the basic broom recovery, and Down B is a little rose monster trap. Her various normals use her dark magic, Red, and the spellbook, and her FS is the dark cloud from her days as a AT though this should probably be changed since FS's are now one-and-done killer attacks.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I remember the small controvercy that caused back in the day. Was really funny.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Power even had to step in to deconfirm the claim, It was pretty coincidental something like "I have granted kids to hell" was accidentally placed into the song of a witch, who has a demon friend and likely practices dark magic.

Top Bottom