• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
A Direct, on a Sunday, featuring a 3D remake of Mother 3, Final Fantasy 7 remake, and a port of one of Xbox's most profitable exclusives (and one of its only exclusives)...

...Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

On another note, I've been looking through the Smash website and skimming over each character's background color (you know, Mario is bright red, Kirby is that faint, light pink, Ridley is that dark greyish-purple, etc.), and it got me thinking: what would Ashley's color be? I'm banking on either a neon, darker shade purple or a bold dark red.
Honestly any shade of red works for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A Direct, on a Sunday, featuring a 3D remake of Mother 3, Final Fantasy 7 remake, and a port of one of Xbox's most profitable exclusives (and one of its only exclusives)...

...Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

On another note, I've been looking through the Smash website and skimming over each character's background color (you know, Mario is bright red, Kirby is that faint, light pink, Ridley is that dark greyish-purple, etc.), and it got me thinking: what would Ashley's color be? I'm banking on either a neon, darker shade purple or a bold dark red.
I'm thinkin' red or orange.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I know Ashley also has recieved a costume as well, however it seemed that they might’ve reused the assets from her Assist Trophy for it, but it’s something nonetheless.
That's definitely not reused assets. You can tell by the skull brooch and textures on the shoes that it's a new asset.

To be fair some of those have other reasons for happening- Ko Takeuchi had a big hand in badge arcade and he seems to like to draw Ashley. The line about unlocking the power of crossovers probably means nothing. The person who wrote the flavor text dialogue likely has 0 connection to anyone working on Smash Bros right now. Different dev teams, different studios even.
While true, it doesn't rule out the possibility. Rodin's assist trophy was foreshadowed in Bayonetta 2's Switch release. It's not something we can really gauge until it happens or doesn't happen.

And of course, she gets special treatment in Gold's opening with a unique call alongside series stalwarts Jimmy T. and Mona, before the others get ''and the rest!'' treatment. But on another note, am I the only one that noticed 5-Volt answering instead of 9-Volt? Does she just answer for the latter, or is she going to be handling the Nintendo microgames while 9-Volt works on his smash hit Gamer?
I think 9-Volt answers the phone sometime later, but it seems she will be a Microgames host as well in this game.

5-volt is apparently hosting Rhythm Heaven themed games.

So there's this one Direct leak Making the rounds on 4chan, and it's gotten some stuff right so far (pop figures, MK8D updates, and the Lt Surge trailer seems likely given today's May and Brock reveals). They said that the Direct would be on the 22nd of July and it would reveal Dixie Kong and King K. Just giving y'all a heads up. A lot of details looks sketchy like the Cuphead port, but I think it's still worth acknowledging.
Nothing outside of lucky guess territory so far (IMO). However, as stated before, the lack of Warioware Gold is a big red flag for me. The lack of any 3DS content at all is a bit of a red flag. Nintendo is continuing to support it for the time being and it has stuff coming out soon so not talking about it doesn't make any sense.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's my question. If Ashley does become a fully realized playable character, would her eyes be red or black like her current design/assist trophy?

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Here's my question. If Ashley does become a fully realized playable character, would her eyes be red or black like her current design/assist trophy?
really hoping for red and black eyes, most likely will use red and black too as it has appeared the most.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Totally with the Red eyes. It's more iconic to her than the simplicity of Game and Wario's black eyes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
5-volt is apparently hosting Rhythm Heaven themed games.

So there's this one Direct leak Making the rounds on 4chan, and it's gotten some stuff right so far (pop figures, MK8D updates, and the Lt Surge trailer seems likely given today's May and Brock reveals). They said that the Direct would be on the 22nd of July and it would reveal Dixie Kong and King K. Just giving y'all a heads up. A lot of details looks sketchy like the Cuphead port, but I think it's still worth acknowledging.
As a Mother fan, I’ve been burned too many times to even be mentally capable of believing this leaks. Plus, stuff like Doshin the Giant really seems like it’s a troll leaving Riddler-like clues to its fakeness.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Another thing about these "leaks", there are at least 5 a day posted on 4chan and they all say something like "yeah i have a friend who works at Nintendo" or "Sorry my English is not very good" even though in there post they make like zero grammar mistakes, the worst offenders are the ones who just say "yeah these characters are in the game", I can't understand why the smash community continues to give these "leaks" attention, it's only encouraging this behavior to show up time and time again. I don't mind the fake one's like the springman and decidueye one a couple months ago, because at least they tried.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Another thing about these "leaks", there are at least 5 a day posted on 4chan and they all say something like "yeah i have a friend who works at Nintendo" or "Sorry my English is not very good" even though in there post they make like zero grammar mistakes, the worst offenders are the ones who just say "yeah these characters are in the game", I can't understand why the smash community continues to give these "leaks" attention, it's only encouraging this behavior to show up time and time again. I don't mind the fake one's like the springman and decidueye one a couple months ago, because at least they tried.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I want red to be default because that'll be the reference people will use for the fanart, but I don't mind if they change her eye color for the alts.

Speaking of, I found this beautiful Ashley art to replace Alm. I love how dark and old timey it looks. It's very fitting for a Halloween themed character like her. A little detail I just noticed, I think she's supposed to be holding her teacher.

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of, I found this beautiful Ashley art to replace Alm. I love how dark and old timey it looks. It's very fitting for a Halloween themed character like her. A little detail I just noticed, I think she's supposed to be holding her teacher.

It kind of reminds me of something from Ib.

Awesome find though! Do you know the artist?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Samcrumpit Samcrumpit That's a great new avatar! I really like it.~ =)

Personally I would like for Ashley's eyes to be black just because I like the idea of her hair turning white (and eyes red) on certain attacks. However, as a casual matter, I do prefer the red eyes as the default. I just want the gimmick more. >_>

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
So has everyone has talked about the character who they think is most likely to join smash but whats a character who you think is the least likely or someone you don't want in smash? why? (for me I don't mind if any character comes honestly, as long as its not a character that'll ruin the series or something lolol)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So has everyone has talked about the character who they think is most likely to join smash but whats a character who you think is the least likely or someone you don't want in smash? why? (for me I don't mind if any character comes honestly, as long as its not a character that'll ruin the series or something lolol)
If I keep it strictly to wants then I think Shantae has like a 5% chance. Absolutely abysmal.

If I'm being completely honest, I want Shantae even more than Ashley or Geno at this point. The only reason I support Geno first is because I've been supporting him for over a decade now and this is the greatest chance he's ever had of getting in. However, Shantae is my true most wanted.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to see that this thread is active but, now the problem is that this thread is too active and it doesn't help that I'm too burnt out to read everyone's posts when I take a 24 hour break from Smashboards. I will respond when someone quotes me here though.
I heavily disagree with this. Sure I’m not an Ashley supporter, but to be frank, I’m willing to look at this logically and Ashley is no where near a guarantee.
The quote you disagreed with is my post here:
I believe at least half a dozen newcomers with maybe a couple of Echos sprinkled here and there then another half a dozen more or so for DLC. I'm sure Ashley will be in the base game. Anyone saying less is being overly pessimistic.
I will admit I'm almost positive I was in a tired state and more susceptible to making mistakes when writing that post. In this case, I was thinking faster than what I was typing. Going back and rereading it I should have switched those last two sentences.

To clarify, The being overly pessimistic part was meant to apply to expecting less than half a dozen newcomers but, because that statement came after saying would Ashley be in the base game I can see how people would think I meant not expecting Ashley is overly pessimistic.

I don't guarantee Ashley's inclusion either but, I feel confident.
Ashley would have to compete with characters from the ballot like King K. Rool and Geno who have been acknowledged by Sakurai and were a considered big heavy hitters in Japan during the ballot (ie King K. Rool was an entirely new constume with new textures, and Sakurai admitted to actually wanting Geno) and many others who recieved much more vocal support than Ashley did back in 2015, which could lead to less amount of votes for Ashley in the ballot and behind set popular characters. Not to mention characters from recent games that would also be considered like Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, and Pokémon.
Now that you had your jabs at me I hope your prepared to take some yourself.

Geno's a character that gives me a knee jerk reaction every time he's mentioned as a likely contender, especially when he is put into comparison with Ashley. It's kind of like a thou shalt not put other gods before me kind of thing if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Geno's a stupid character or that I don't want to see him in Smash but, what I am saying is that his hype has been artificially fabricated by his fanbase and the media. The hype is a bit more natural this time around as he has a Mii outfit that can be used for evidence of argument. What I find funny though is the people who argue for Geno's inclusion love to milk that Mii outfit for as much as it's worth.

On the other hand, the Ashley supporters tend to state her Japanese popularity first before mentioning she could be upgraded from AT since her AT is still missing. Often times The Ashley supporters neglect to even bother mentioning her Mii outfit as if it's implied the reader should be knowledgeable enough to remember she has a Mii outfit.

And so my question to Geno supporters is why does Geno's Mii outfit carry more weight to it than Ashley's? I just can't see how, without a personal bias weighing it down.

The next thing Geno supporters like to mention is Sakurai's comment about having considered Geno as far back as Brawl. The reason why Sakurai made the statement is because he was specifically asked by the interviewer about Geno's Mii outfit. Hypothetically speaking what do you think Sakurai's response would have been if the interviewer's question would have been geared toward Ashley's Mii outfit? If Sakurai claimed he considered adding Ashley as far back as Brawl would you be surprised?

Sakurai also stated he considered Heihachi and Takamaru at one point for Smash as well but because neither of them are playable yet it brings up the detail about how heavily a character is considered is what is missing. Do you think Sakurai would put more effort into Geno's consideration than Ashley?

When comparing Ashley to Geno we're comparing a 1st party character still appearing in video games as of today to a 3rd party character from a single video game over 20 years ago.

Is popularity what puts Geno ahead? Smashboards seemed to think Geno performed better than Bayonetta on the Ballot in the time leading up to Bayonetta's announcement. Even if the Ballot was a hoax I doubt the demographic of Smashboards fully matches everyone who voted and who they all voted for since you could submit multiple votes.

Geno rant over. It feels good to get that off my chest.
It wasn’t until after 2015 that Nintendo decided to promote Ashley heavily, but by the time they did Sakurai would’ve already selected the roster. Really, there just seem to be a lot of characters that Sakurai would’ve chosen over Ashley either due to A) Some first and especially third party characters that were more popular than Ashley and thus were prioritized over her, and B) There were some characters from recent games that had a moveset that he enovisioned already that he found unique enough to add in the game that he prioritized over her.
I don't know if someone has corrected you on this statement yet because I don't feel like catching up on this thread yet but, Ashley was promoted heavily up until the planning phase was finalized in December of 2015 and even after.

We also have reason to believe WarioWare Gold's Development started around the Same time as the finalization of Ultimate's roster

*Also this thread is so peaceful, it feels very different than some of the others. I like it here despite how my post sounds. Lol.
I glad you feel that way! I like it here too :)

StormC

Smash Hero
If it were up to me, red without irises like Wario Gold.

Sakurai would probably go with red irises and black pupils like the classic design though.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Noooo! I don't want to get involved in this conversation but I have to do it. >_>

Geno's a character that gives me a knee jerk reaction every time he's mentioned as a likely contender, especially when he is put into comparison with Ashley. It's kind of like a thou shalt not put other gods before me kind of thing if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Geno's a stupid character or that I don't want to see him in Smash but, what I am saying is that his hype has been artificially fabricated by his fanbase and the media. The hype is a bit more natural this time around as he has a Mii outfit that can be used for evidence of argument. What I find funny though is the people who argue for Geno's inclusion love to milk that Mii outfit for as much as it's worth.

On the other hand, the Ashley supporters tend to state her Japanese popularity first before mentioning she could be upgraded from AT since her AT is still missing. Often times The Ashley supporters neglect to even bother mentioning her Mii outfit as if it's implied the reader should be knowledgeable enough to remember she has a Mii outfit.

And so my question to Geno supporters is why does Geno's Mii outfit carry more weight to it than Ashley's? I just can't see how, without a personal bias weighing it down.
It's just as you said. Ashley is a currently popular character and Geno is a side character from a game 20 years ago. Which one makes more sense to add as a Mii costume? The demonstrably popular and more current character or the old character with "artificial" hype?

There's literally no reason to include a Geno costume if his fan demand is overstated. Plenty of characters get tossed around in this community as so-called "contenders" but poor Isaac fans didn't even get a returning AT. So why are Geno fans any more special?

Also, Geno's costume was unique in that it got its own splash screen similar to how characters were announced:

Which was unique to his mii costume alone.

In addition...

The next thing Geno supporters like to mention is Sakurai's comment about having considered Geno as far back as Brawl. The reason why Sakurai made the statement is because he was specifically asked by the interviewer about Geno's Mii outfit. Hypothetically speaking what do you think Sakurai's response would have been if the interviewer's question would have been geared toward Ashley's Mii outfit? If Sakurai claimed he considered adding Ashley as far back as Brawl would you be surprised?

Sakurai also stated he considered Heihachi and Takamaru at one point for Smash as well but because neither of them are playable yet it brings up the detail about how heavily a character is considered is what is missing. Do you think Sakurai would put more effort into Geno's consideration than Ashley?
Context matters: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/

Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing.

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.
We can play hypotheticals all you want but the facts remain that Sakurai wanted to include him as a fighter and that the Mii costume wasn't included because he thought "This is all I have to do", it's explicitly a "This is the least I can do" type of situation. It's an apology, not a compromise.

The big roadblock that's changed this time is that Square is involved in Ultimate's development cycle from the beginning rather than the end. And this interview took place around the time that Ultimate's roster would have been finalized. Considering the inclusion of Ridley, a longtime requested character (and much more viciously de-confirmed one; Sakurai literally mentioned he'd have to wave a magic wand to include him) is in, it's completely fair to assume that this game will cater to long time fan demand.

You can't seriously tell me that if Sakurai said half the stuff he said about Geno, about Ashley instead, that you wouldn't be all over it. Especially given the timing of this interview.

But sure, you're right about us not knowing how deeply he considers them. However, Takamaru is vastly more popular in Japan (and would be a retro on top of that) so that could be a reason for exclusion and Heihachi... well, he might actually be in this game. xD

We don't know yet.

I will say though, if he doesn't get in this time... he's never getting in. The timing has never been more perfect and Square is involved from the beginning. If he can't get in with that, it'll never happen.

When comparing Ashley to Geno we're comparing a 1st party character still appearing in video games as of today to a 3rd party character from a single video game over 20 years ago.

Is popularity what puts Geno ahead? Smashboards seemed to think Geno performed better than Bayonetta on the Ballot in the time leading up to Bayonetta's announcement. Even if the Ballot was a hoax I doubt the demographic of Smashboards fully matches everyone who voted and who they all voted for since you could submit multiple votes.

Geno rant over. It feels good to get that off my chest.
Smashboards is ludicrous then. xD

I'm thinking K. Rool is pretty obviously the most popular for inclusion. Geno could be somewhere in the Top 20 but no one knows for sure. I will say though, Geno is popular outside of this forum. The plethora of youtube videos and flash videos and such should speak to that. Not to mention being in several popular smash mods.

All that said, I'd still put Ashley's chances at inclusion at around 35-40% and Geno's at around 30%. Unfortunately, Geno might have to compete with Sora and that could end up being his death nail. But I'm sure Sakurai knows himself if he doesn't shoot this gun now, it'll most likely never happen. That pressure could actually be what causes him to shoot whereas Ashley is a character that will always have a chance to be included.

This isn't now or never for Ashley. It virtually is for Geno.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Can we not make this an Ashley vs Geno thing?
In my opinion Ashley is more likely than Geno but they both have a decent chance this time, and one character isn't stealing a slot from the other.
Sorry if I misread the situation, but this thread is so nice and peaceful and i'd hate if it devolved into constant arguments like other threads.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
In my opinion Ashley is more likely than Geno but they both have a decent chance this time, and one character isn't stealing a slot from the other.
Sorry if I misread the situation, but this thread is so nice and peaceful and i'd hate if it devolved into constant arguments like other threads.
Ashley is in my Top 3, don't get me wrong.

But like I said, with Geno this is make or break. The stakes have never been higher for us long time supporters (and I'm most certainly a long time supporter). I had to say something because it sounded like his chances were being undermined.

All that said, I'm not foolish enough to place Geno over Ashley. She has slightly better odds.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hey hey, why not have both Geno and Ashley? Both are unique characters and could easily work well in Smash. Hell, even the Japanese Smash ballot according to Source Gaming tied in terms of overall votes and demand. I think Ultimate can have both.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey hey, why not have both Geno and Ashley? Both are unique characters and could easily work well in Smash. Hell, even the Japanese Smash ballot according to Source Gaming tied in terms of overall votes and demand. I think Ultimate can have both.
Ashley and Geno would actually be amazing.
Sakurai could do it too, it's only a matter of IF.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Oh know this sounds like wishful thinking, but what do you all think the chances are of Ashley getting into MK8D now that the game is getting updates again?

If she's actually in Smash, then I don't see why they wouldn't add her in, even if Warioware is 2 degrees removed from Mario. A strong chance if that's the case. If she's not in Smash, then most likely not. God, I wish that series got more recognition. And people think Waluigi has it bad.
I knew this would happen. NintendoEverything specifically said that MK8's "updates" were mentioned after a discussion on Labo. It isn't saying more characters will come, it's implying more Labo functionality will come. Everyone's going to be really disappointed when the next update is for another Labo steering setup.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I knew this would happen. NintendoEverything specifically said that MK8's "updates" were mentioned after a discussion on Labo. It isn't saying more characters will come, it's implying more Labo functionality will come. Everyone's going to be really disappointed when the next update is for another Labo steering setup.
Don't see how the manner in which a topic is brought up means anything, either. Besides, what more steering can you do with Labo when there's already a non-labo wheel accessory for Joy-con?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Here’s to hoping we get news soon with this new tournament and Comic Cob coming next week guys.

D

Deleted member

I'd actually like if we could make this an Ashley vs Geno thing.

As in them both being in the game and being able to fight each other.
That'd be cool.

Also, I stopped believing the asserted leak as soon as it said that the new 2D Mario would have a painted look like that one level in NSMBU.

I just couldn't see them do that for a mainline Mario title.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Heh, Sorry... I wasn't criticizing Geno with ill intent.

There is only a few possible newcomers that can be placed at a higher priority than Ashley because they have strong supporting evidence. If someone is going to claim Ashley is not likely because "X" specific character is more likely, then I will rebuke them for it.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Of course, I'm absolutely all for them both to get in. xD

They aren't competing with each other.
Yeah, they may both be magic users but hey have very different kinds they use.

I'd say if Ash has competition for a niche, it's Arle Nadja and Lip for that magical girl spot. As for Geno, maybe Paper Mario? They technically come from the same series, I'm not sure if that's a settled matter or not in the Geno thread.

Neyonel

Smash Rookie
In both Sm4sh and Game and Wario, her latest game appearances, she had black eyes, though her badge arcade appearances have mostly had red eyes, as well as her appearances in the games overall, so it's tough to gauge which is more likely. Personally, I do like the red eyes more overall, but her having the black eyes turn red along with her hair turning white is a really cool touch. We wouldn't really see that effect a whole lot in the game though, so as far as playable goes, I'd agree with having red eyes as the default with black in some alts maybe.
Here’s to hoping we get news soon with this new tournament and Comic Cob coming next week guys.
Keep holding on, man. Can't say I'm too hopeful about either of those events in particular, but hey, I'd love to be proven wrong!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, they may both be magic users but hey have very different kinds they use.

I'd say if Ash has competition for a niche, it's Arle Nadja and Lip for that magical girl spot. As for Geno, maybe Paper Mario? They technically come from the same series, I'm not sure if that's a settled matter or not in the Geno thread.
We need more magic users in Smash. The only two I can note of the top of my head is Zelda and Robin. As for Geno's competition, the Geno thread believes that other Square characters are the bigger threat to Geno's chances(Specifically Sora), rather than other Mario characters. Say what you will about Mario getting a ton of reps, you need to recall that in Melee the Mario series took up about 20% of the roster. As long as we don't cross that threshold, we ain't doing anything that has not happened before.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The leak was smart to not show his name you do not want to miss with the Mother Fans. Nintendo must be making a decision to take Mother 3 a port or remake. A 3D Mother 3 was going to happen on the 64 but it got cancel. It wont be that surprising sense Reggie been teasing Mother 3.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In both Sm4sh and Game and Wario, her latest game appearances, she had black eyes, though her badge arcade appearances have mostly had red eyes, as well as her appearances in the games overall, so it's tough to gauge which is more likely. Personally, I do like the red eyes more overall, but her having the black eyes turn red along with her hair turning white is a really cool touch. We wouldn't really see that effect a whole lot in the game though, so as far as playable goes, I'd agree with having red eyes as the default with black in some alts maybe.

Keep holding on, man. Can't say I'm too hopeful about either of those events in particular, but hey, I'd love to be proven wrong!
Honestly, at this point I think Ashley's eye color is whatever she wants it to be.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
We need more magic users in Smash. The only two I can note of the top of my head is Zelda and Robin. As for Geno's competition, the Geno thread believes that other Square characters are the bigger threat to Geno's chances(Specifically Sora), rather than other Mario characters. Say what you will about Mario getting a ton of reps, you need to recall that in Melee the Mario series took up about 20% of the roster. As long as we don't cross that threshold, we ain't doing anything that has not happened before.
I didn't consider that. Like, who wouldn't pick Sora over Geno just from a business standpoint? But in actuality, it's probably way easier to acquire Geno.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I didn't consider that. Like, who wouldn't pick Sora over Geno just from a business standpoint? But in actuality, it's probably way easier to acquire Geno.
Business wise, it absolutely makes sense. On the legal side of things is where Sora starts to falter. Say whatever what you want, Disney stuff is gonna be in the game if Sora gets in. There is no avoiding it, the Mickey Mouse head symbol is literally the key chain of the base key blade. Plus, you would be ignoring a majority of what is in the Kingdom Hearts series if Nintendo were to try and avoid any Disney reference, and you know how Sakurai is with misrepresenting a series. Plus we also have to take in account Sakurais mindset. Would he be willing to put in any Disney character, even as a trophy? Doesn't he avoid representing non video game Ip's? At the end of the day, Sakurai has the rights for Geno, evident by the costume.

Top Bottom