• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Link Moveset Discussion (Edited so that you can talk whichever move you want)

Tektite

Smash Apprentice
~The Moveset Discussion Thread~​

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

A character's moveset make him/her unique. It defies their tier placing and their overall awesomeness. So I bring you the Link button mashing discussion.​

Other move related discussions:

The Offical Dtilt Spike Topic

Frame Data (Chris is working on it :p)

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
I like the pictures in this thread, and I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if these dead Link boards will actually contribute a whole lot.

EDIT:
Hey Tektite, we have the same post count! Except I did join 8 months before you... I'm a major lurker here.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
if anyone has seen Izaw or Rains newest vids on youtube you'll notice that they use jab-cancel into jab-cancel. its a very usefull way to rack up damage

Tektite

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I saw. I used to do that before. Though I figured doing a grab after a jab cancel was better. I just couldn't always get the timing down. I etheir did it too late so that my enemy can block or I do it to early and will just do the last jab attack.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Jab cancels are useful against most opponents, but be wary vs Mario (he's the first one to come into my head anyway) because he can easily jab cancel out of YOUR jab cancels... or do a lot of other things too.
Mostly try to use jab cancels into a retreating zair for good spacing, a dsmash for a finisher, or at the very beginning of a stock to rack up a little damage.
Note however that jab cancels can be easily DI'ed out of, even at low percents, so do only one or two in a row at any given time.

Ftilt is good for punishing aerial foes when they air dodge past you, because it the hitbox starts behind Link, then goes over his head and all the way out front. While the lag after the attack isn't too bad, you'll have to act fast to get out of your opponents way if you whiff the ftilt.
It's also a good finisher at higher percents (and comes as quite a surprise too!) and an opponent who is planking or holds onto the edge too long, the tip of ftilt will knock them a solid distance away from the ledge.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
A, A then at the end of the animation of the last attack, smash the stick as hard as you can (not really) downwards. Then you do the same, but instead of crounching press Z. Then you hit the opponent in the head a couple of times just to show im he's your biatch. works all the time XD

also ftilt is a good move to use after an airborne attack

check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQBQh_Ifnk&feature=channel_page

someting like that. sorry for bad quality and sorry to Dylan just for doing this....

GimmieCookie

Smash Cadet
Although rarely used, the third jab is good for some spacing. Plus it's good to toss in a few third jabs (not to many mind you) to keep your opponent guessing.

The FTilt has minimal windup/ending lag, though it does still exist so be careful.

Hmmm....

I can't think of much else to add, unfortunately. Maybe later.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Actually against a lot of opponents you want to finish the jab 60-75% of the time, especially when they have 0-50% damage. At especially high percents (like 150%+, which is not too uncommon) jab cancels should only be used on fast fallers for the dsmash finish. Of course I guess you could do a utilt finisher at those percents too.

Also,
I posted this in "Link Frame Data" rather than here, lol.
If the opponent is trying to recover from sideways, make sure that rather than using the spin attack (like you would in Melee) or even fsmash, you use ftilt. Ftilt covers more vertical and horizontal range than fsmash, with far better horizontal knockback. Ftilt is great for edgeguarding at high percents when you can't go down and bair stagespike or even nair or dair the opponent. It's best used with craq walking or pivot boosting to get to the edge in time.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Jab cancels have been thoroughly discussed a number of times. I would suggest reading the section in Nintenjoe's guide, or watching Izaw's video.

The part of this involving Link's metagame is rather simple, as Chris alluded to earlier with, "is there anything more to discuss? it's pretty basic attacks."

Side-notes I would want to mention would be to keep a proper horizontal spacing with your jabbing to keep yourself harder to punish, and try to "cancel" into less punishable moves. Personally, I like dishing out a good ol' serving of jab>jab>retreating SH Zair, followed with a variety of possibilities after Zair; but don't be afraid to mix it up.

ShadowCosmos

Smash Cadet
Yea I've found that aside from the third jab and the forward smash, most players can just shield any move that you decide to jab cancel into if they're expecting it so mixing it up would be a good idea.

On a side note, is it technically faster to crouch out of your second jab into another move?

I guess this has already been established, but you can cover a surprising amount of distance with a craiq walked f-tilt.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yea I've found that aside from the third jab and the forward smash, most players can just shield any move that you decide to jab cancel into if they're expecting it so mixing it up would be a good idea.

On a side note, is it technically faster to crouch out of your second jab into another move?

I guess this has already been established, but you can cover a surprising amount of distance with a craiq walked f-tilt.
It is faster to crouch to do your next move. The wait between just letting the window of the third jab is far too long to be effective. Fast, but not fast enough. Definitely do a crouch after two jabs and what not.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
i don't think it's nessecary when you wanna jab-cancel into grab tough, it think....
Same concept as the crouch. It may feel faster when you don't crouch because of one less analog tilt but it is faster. You'll cancel the getting up animation with the move and that animation canceling makes it faster than just waiting a bit. It all works out in the end, I assure you.

ShadowCosmos

Smash Cadet
I think I already know the answer to this.... but is there any frame data on the crouch canceling windows and maybe also the jab locking animation times?

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
To clear up the needing-to-crouch-myth:

Link does NOT need to crouch when "jab canceling" into any move because he has a "false" jab cancel. The crouch will not speed up anything because you must wait for the end of the 2nd jab to begin with. If anything, you will introduce a frame of the crouching animation before the next move, causing more lag for yourself.

The only time Link can truly "jab cancel" is when crouching to initiate more jabs, avoiding the 3rd. At that time it is needed to crouch; otherwise no.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
i just did some testing of this. Blubba is correct, if you wanna cancel the third jab into the first jab crouching will speed it up, but for any other move it's unessecary

SuSa

Banned via Administration
To clear up the needing-to-crouch-myth:

Link does NOT need to crouch when "jab canceling" into any move because he has a "false" jab cancel. The crouch will not speed up anything because you must wait for the end of the 2nd jab to begin with. If anything, you will introduce a frame of the crouching animation before the next move, causing more lag for yourself.

The only time Link can truly "jab cancel" is when crouching to initiate more jabs, avoiding the 3rd. At that time it is needed to crouch; otherwise no.
This is true.

Also since the thread title says we're on utilt:

Utilt can be SDI'd down and tech'd. (So it spikes, aint' that a *****?)

On heavy's at lower %'s (or fastfallers) you can get 3 utilts in.

The first hit of Bair sets up for a reverse utilt at mid %'s . (SH approaching Bair, first hit, FF, buffer turn around, utilt)

I prefer to use it as a damage racker on heavies/fastfallers and a way to continue by bair setups.

Top Bottom