• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As I've noted before, there are so many elements from the Country titles that could be incorporated into Dixie's moveset that could easily differentiate her from Diddy. Animal Buddies, barrels, Kong Pow meter, etc. If anything it would continue the kind of faithfulness from DKC that K Rool effectively did with his design finally applied to an actual Kong protagonist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just want her based around her own abilities honestly... Hair spins, hair grabs and Helicopter Spin, that's enough for me frankly. I wouldn't mind Dixie having a Bubblegum Popgun, Monkey Flip and the Banana as specials, and sharing a few normals and Aerials with Diddy. I love Diddy, and his moveset, I'd take a different variation of it with Dixie myself. She'd definitely be my second most played character then. But sure, the situation would be less than ideal. I just don't think giving her gimmicks just for the sake of it is a good idea.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So I have to ask, what counts as a gimmick? From my best understanding, all the following characters fall under gimmick:

Mario (Melee onwards)
Luigi
Ness:
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
DK
Kirby
Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Zelda
Sheik before SSB4
Marth
Roy
Olimar
Wario
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Dedede
Sonic
Snake
Metaknight (Brawl only)
Pit (Brawl only)
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Diddy Kong
Lucas
ROB
Mega Man
Little Mac
Rosalina
Duck Hunt
Cloud
Ryu
Bayonetta
Robin
Wii Fit Trainer
Corrin
Pac-Man
Bowser Jr.
Villager
Lucina
Greninja
Inkling
Isabelle
K. Rool
Incineroar
Ken
Simon
Richter
Banjo-Kazooie
Chrom
Steve
Sephiroth
Pyra/Mythra
Hero
Min Min
Piranha Plant
Terry
Joker
EDIT: Ridley

So that's about 63 characters in a 90+ roster. If I really stretch it, Pikachu and the Links can certainly apply, making it 67 characters and counting, plus whoever shows up in the Fighter's Pass. That's a decent chunk more than half.

Gimmicks have been part of Smash since '64; in that game, Yoshi, Kirby, DK, Jigglypuff, Luigi, Ness and arguably Pikachu, Fox and Samus had a gimmick that gave them an edge and that's 9/12 characters, aka 75%. It only got "worse" in Melee once more gimmick characters showed up and characters like Mario got a brand new move that changed his whole impact, which is the cape and the FLUDD.

In the DK category, Donkey Kong has his Down B, Side B and Cargo Grab as his gimmicks. Diddy has the bananas and Side B. K. Rool has his Belly Armor and Down B. These are all "gimmicky" characters, so Dixie getting a gimmick of her own would be perfectly fine for her series and not a big deal for Smash as a whole. What her gimmick could be can vary: she can get extra grabs thanks to her hair and a unique cargo grab; she can potentially summon animal buddies to help her; she can use items from DKC; she can tag in and out with Kiddy or Funky; she can have an in-depth use of bubblegum; she can be a 5-limbed fighter. The possibilities are certainly there.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Another one of Pikachu's "gimmicks" I guess is being too small to hit when landing or crouching, even though they fixed that previous issue for Pichu... Ridley's down B is gimmicky enough that I would add him to the above list too. But yeah, it's hard to not see Dixie having some kind of gimmick, especially as a DLC character, and that's okay.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another one of Pikachu's "gimmicks" I guess is being too small to hit when landing or crouching, even though they fixed that previous issue for Pichu... Ridley's down B is gimmicky enough that I would add him to the above list too. But yeah, it's hard to not see Dixie having some kind of gimmick, especially as a DLC character, and that's okay.
I legit forgot about the stabby tail, thanks for reminding me.

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
https://smallmariofindings.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F650744432670490624
I'd love to find the official image file or print for these jigsaw puzzle artworks someday.
That image was illustrated by Takahiro Kanie, he did a few of these illustrations across DKC-DKC2 levels which were incorporated into jigsaw puzzles. Think he may have dabbled in some Super Mario World1 & 2 art too as I vaguely remember seeing something Mario related on his Twitter.

Heres another puzzle in the set that i own:

He occasionally shares video game related art that he has created on his Twitter, including DKC art, maybe he has tweeted that particular one?

Twitter: https://twitter.com/takakanie?lang=en

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Diddy and Dixie (* ´) who choose and put on squitter shoes ∀ `) Emoko's remark was too divine and it was really fun to draw while imagining (// ́Д / ̀/) I love drawing, which makes a story with one picture ♡

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So I have to ask, what counts as a gimmick? From my best understanding, all the following characters fall under gimmick:

Mario (Melee onwards)
Luigi
Ness:
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
DK
Kirby
Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Zelda
Sheik before SSB4
Marth
Roy
Olimar
Wario
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Dedede
Sonic
Snake
Metaknight (Brawl only)
Pit (Brawl only)
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Diddy Kong
Lucas
ROB
Mega Man
Little Mac
Rosalina
Duck Hunt
Cloud
Ryu
Bayonetta
Robin
Wii Fit Trainer
Corrin
Pac-Man
Bowser Jr.
Villager
Lucina
Greninja
Inkling
Isabelle
K. Rool
Incineroar
Ken
Simon
Richter
Banjo-Kazooie
Chrom
Steve
Sephiroth
Pyra/Mythra
Hero
Min Min
Piranha Plant
Terry
Joker

So that's about 63 characters in a 90+ roster. If I really stretch it, Pikachu and the Links can certainly apply, making it 67 characters and counting, plus whoever shows up in the Fighter's Pass. That's a decent chunk more than half.

Gimmicks have been part of Smash since '64; in that game, Yoshi, Kirby, DK, Jigglypuff, Luigi, Ness and arguably Pikachu, Fox and Samus had a gimmick that gave them an edge and that's 9/12 characters, aka 75%. It only got "worse" in Melee once more gimmick characters showed up and characters like Mario got a brand new move that changed his whole impact, which is the cape and the FLUDD.

In the DK category, Donkey Kong has his Down B, Side B and Cargo Grab as his gimmicks. Diddy has the bananas and Side B. K. Rool has his Belly Armor and Down B. These are all "gimmicky" characters, so Dixie getting a gimmick of her own would be perfectly fine for her series and not a big deal for Smash as a whole. What her gimmick could be can vary: she can get extra grabs thanks to her hair and a unique cargo grab; she can potentially summon animal buddies to help her; she can use items from DKC; she can tag in and out with Kiddy or Funky; she can have an in-depth use of bubblegum; she can be a 5-limbed fighter. The possibilities are certainly there.
'A gimmick' is way different than being based entirely of gimmicks. Which a few characters seem to do as of late, especially through DLC. Sometimes I feel it's overdone. Sure, Dixie potentially having gimmicks of her own isn't bad, and makes her unique. But I'd stick with what's actually her own set of abilities, with the hair grab and Helicopter Spin. I personally don't see the use to include Animal Buddies, just because they can.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
'A gimmick' is way different than being based entirely of gimmicks. Which a few characters seem to do as of late, especially through DLC. Sometimes I feel it's overdone. Sure, Dixie potentially having gimmicks of her own isn't bad, and makes her unique. But I'd stick with what's actually her own set of abilities, with the hair grab and Helicopter Spin. I personally don't see the use to include Animal Buddies, just because they can.
Can you give some examples? Even one single move like Egg Lay can define a character, cuz Diddy's bananas certainly define him, and in Brawl, Pit, Metaknight and Charizard gliding made a huge difference on their playstyles. Not to mention, Mario's cape in Melee skyrocketed his threat level since he wasn't just reflecting projectiles; the dude was reversing attacks that could knock out teammates even when you disabled Team Attack. Nobody wanted to shoot anything at Fox, people made it their priority to keep Zelda from transforming, and nobody dared to meet Kirby, Ganondorf, DK, Yoshi, Dedede or Wario at the edge of a stage. Throwing anything at Villager was Suicide, But With Extra Steps. And if Pikachu was below you, God help you LOL.

I don't mind Dixie using an animal buddy here or there, it would fit fine IMO like Wario on his bike, Zelda using a Phantom or Duck Hunt summoning gunmen. It's basically weaponized fanservice. If she went the Pac-Man route and pulled out her own enemies, then that seems out of place.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I cant wait for the Switch successor so Nintendo cant rely on ports/remakes as a crutch. They can't say "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe ONLY sold 38 million copies on Switch so we're porting it to the Switch 2 as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Deluxe to recoup our losses on development".
Lord HELP us if this happens..if that happens I think Im officially done with Nintendo at that point. It was a fun 20 year ride. The only one out of that list I would be okay with is Smash because you cant get bigger than Ultimate and the only way forward is going down...and I know a LOT of people would hate that. Not me though as I would prefer a smaller more focused roster with character moveset revamps but at the same time if Ultimate got ported and added a few more characters in the deluxe version I also wouldn't complain especially if one of them was of course Dixie.
There is obviously a difference between having ports and relying on them, but I think ports should be an expected part of every new console generation, kind of like how basically every movie made the leap from DVD to Blu-ray. That keeps games relevant and available to anyone who wants to play them, even if they don't have the original hardware. That's why it's such a shame that Nintendo discontinued the Virtual Console. They're basically the only big name company that actually gives a crap about their history.

I may be going off on a tangent here, but it's not too late to resist the so-called "all-digital future" that some of you mentioned earlier, and I don't just mean gaming. Streaming has its perks, but if it ever becomes the only way to watch/play stuff, we're screwed. IP holders can and do lock stuff all the time if they don't want us to have it for whatever reason. Ask anyone who signed up for Netflix to watch The Office. That's why it's important to buy physical if you actually want to own the stuff you care about. No one can take your cartridges and Blu-rays.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just want her based around her own abilities honestly... Hair spins, hair grabs and Helicopter Spin, that's enough for me frankly. I wouldn't mind Dixie having a Bubblegum Popgun, Monkey Flip and the Banana as specials, and sharing a few normals and Aerials with Diddy. I love Diddy, and his moveset, I'd take a different variation of it with Dixie myself. She'd definitely be my second most played character then. But sure, the situation would be less than ideal. I just don't think giving her gimmicks just for the sake of it is a good idea.
My personal wish for Dixie is to feature the animal buddies for three of her specials and her hair twirl as her last one. I’d love Rambi as a neutral special that functioned kind of like Jigglypuff’s roll where he charges in place then dashed forward. Up B would be either Squawks or Rattly. Down B is harder to place but something with Squitter could be cool. Her forward B would be the hair twirl and function similarly to DK’s forward special.

The other option I would love is a tag mechanic with Kiddy Kong. Partners are a big part of DKC and I feel it could definitely be represented in Smash. They could each have a special that picks up the other Kong and throws them while the down special would be a tag. This would allow Dixie to have both her hair twirl and bubblegum gun as her other specials.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth is now the newest member of the Barrel. Welcome inside!
There is obviously a difference between having ports and relying on them, but I think ports should be an expected part of every new console generation, kind of like how basically every movie made the leap from DVD to Blu-ray. That keeps games relevant and available to anyone who wants to play them, even if they don't have the original hardware. That's why it's such a shame that Nintendo discontinued the Virtual Console. They're basically the only big name company that actually gives a crap about their history.

I may be going off on a tangent here, but it's not too late to resist the so-called "all-digital future" that some of you mentioned earlier, and I don't just mean gaming. Streaming has its perks, but if it ever becomes the only way to watch/play stuff, we're screwed. IP holders can and do lock stuff all the time if they don't want us to have it for whatever reason. Ask anyone who signed up for Netflix to watch The Office. That's why it's important to buy physical if you actually want to own the stuff you care about. No one can take your cartridges and Blu-rays.
OH MY GOD, THIS IS WHAT I TELL PEOPLE IRL!!! I was gonna chime in and say that the day games go all digital is the day I quit gaming, but I scrapped the post and kept lurking until I saw that dope comeback from Justin. Seriously, as convenient as digital seems, you own it even less than with the physical version. I get a distinct feeling that the companies making these products loathe the idea of consumers being able to use their products. It's like buying art from someone who can take it back whenever they want, but with no refunds. If a movie I've seen really stands out to me, like Spiderverse, I'll go outta my way to get the physical version.
My personal wish for Dixie is to feature the animal buddies for three of her specials and her hair twirl as her last one. I’d love Rambi as a neutral special that functioned kind of like Jigglypuff’s roll where he charges in place then dashed forward. Up B would be either Squawks or Rattly. Down B is harder to place but something with Squitter could be cool. Her forward B would be the hair twirl and function similarly to DK’s forward special.

The other option I would love is a tag mechanic with Kiddy Kong. Partners are a big part of DKC and I feel it could definitely be represented in Smash. They could each have a special that picks up the other Kong and throws them while the down special would be a tag. This would allow Dixie to have both her hair twirl and bubblegum gun as her other specials.
Hey if you wanna make a moveset that incorporates this, feel free. The OP can always use more.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I am in strong agreement. I would not mind if she shared a few of Diddy's moves (it may even be somewhat appropriate), though she would definitely be most satisfying with the majority of her moves being her own, as she now has plenty of resources to do this with, and she is one of those characters that is easy to brainstorm moves for.

Mario (Melee onwards)
Luigi
Ness:
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
DK
Kirby
Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Zelda
Sheik before SSB4
Marth
Roy
Olimar
Wario
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Dedede
Sonic
Snake
Metaknight (Brawl only)
Pit (Brawl only)
Zero Suit Samus
Ike
Diddy Kong
Lucas
ROB
Mega Man
Little Mac
Rosalina
Duck Hunt
Cloud
Ryu
Bayonetta
Robin
Wii Fit Trainer
Corrin
Pac-Man
Bowser Jr.
Villager
Lucina
Greninja
Inkling
Isabelle
K. Rool
Incineroar
Ken
Simon
Richter
Banjo-Kazooie
Chrom
Steve
Sephiroth
Pyra/Mythra
Hero
Min Min
Piranha Plant
Terry
Joker

I see a gimmick as a feature or action which is intended to be appealing on its own in a given context, and to make something more desirable. I would not count Pikachu's small size, for example, as a gimmick since Pikachu is naturally that small, and the size is not intended for Smash Bros. (the given context) to be appealing on its own, or to make Pikachu more desirable. Pikachu already was that size in the Pokémon.

As for Dixie, I do not believe she needs a gimmick because others have them, however, it does seem like the best course of ction to give her one since there are appropriate examples displayed in Donkey Kong. My selection would be as follows:

1. A cargo hold/throw (whether as a standard grab follow-up, or as a separate command.)

2. An infinite special in her hair spin.

3. At least one move that may be executed out of an otherwise helpless fall.

Animal friends would be a nice touch, but the issue I have with seeing them for Dixie (and most Kongs, for that matter) is that most of them are not associated with her specifically. For example, I could not speak 'matter-of-factly', but I always imagined that people associated Rambi with Donkey Kong before any other Kong. The other animal friends, while having no special affinity or association with other Kongs, also do not strike me as being close to Dixie Kong. As a result, I do not easily see how Dixie could use animal friends 'naturally,' unless the choice is the elephant, as Ellie debuted in Dixie's 'limelight' game, has many interesting ablities, and is the closest thing to a parallel with Rambi (he was essentially replaced by Ellie in that game).

As for tagging with Kiddy, I do like the idea, as it both leaves room for an inspired moveset and interesting abilities, and allows Kiddy to make an appearance (I gather that he is not especially popular, but he had the same status as Diddy and Dixie when they first appeared) without 'wasting' a spot on the roster. It would also make Dixie less likely to become too similar to Diddy, and potentially offer more power.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I am in strong agreement. I would not mind if she shared a few of Diddy's moves (it may even be somewhat appropriate), though she would definitely be most satisfying with the majority of her moves being her own, as she now has plenty of resources to do this with, and she is one of those characters that is easy to brainstorm moves for.

I see a gimmick as a feature or action which is intended to be appealing on its own in a given context, and to make something more desirable. I would not count Pikachu's small size, for example, as a gimmick since Pikachu is naturally that small, and the size is not intended for Smash Bros. (the given context) to be appealing on its own, or to make Pikachu more desirable. Pikachu already was that size in the Pokémon.

As for Dixie, I do not believe she needs a gimmick because others have them, however, it does seem like the best course of ction to give her one since there are appropriate examples displayed in Donkey Kong. My selection would be as follows:

1. A cargo hold/throw (whether as a standard grab follow-up, or as a separate command.)

Animal friends would be a nice touch, but the issue I have with seeing them for Dixie (and most Kongs, for that matter) is that most of them are not associated with her specifically. For example, I could not speak 'matter-of-factly', but I always imagined that people associated Rambi with Donkey Kong before any other Kong. The other animal friends, while having no special affinity or association with other Kongs, also do not strike me as being close to Dixie Kong. As a result, I do not easily see how Dixie could use animal friends 'naturally,' unless the choice is the elephant, as Ellie debuted in Dixie's 'limelight' game, has many interesting ablities, and is the closest thing to a parallel with Rambi (he was essentially replaced by Ellie in that game).

As for tagging with Kiddy, I do like the idea, as it both leaves room for an inspired moveset and interesting abilities, and allows Kiddy to make an appearance (I gather that he is not especially popular, but he had the same status as Diddy and Dixie when they first appeared) without 'wasting' a spot on the roster. It would also make Dixie less likely to become too similar to Diddy, and potentially offer more power.
That’s a fair point and I totally get where you’re coming from about the animal buddies not being tied to a specific Kong. My reasoning is that I just want the series in general to be faithfully represented and both the animal buddies and the tag mechanic are a core part to their identity. Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of my favorite games and I love Dixie as a character but I don’t think her moveset is all that exciting by itself.

She can float, attack with a hair spin, pick things up with her hair, and has a bubble gum gun in Tropical Freeze. In order to fill out the rest of her moveset, you would have to make a lot of moves up for her. She doesn’t really have much else to work with in terms of specials. Adding the animal buddies or Kiddy both make her more exciting as well as take direct inspiration from her series.

I want to try to avoid another Donkey Kong situation where a ton of his moves were just made up for Smash when the series is so much more interesting than that. Diddy Kong’s moveset is pretty faithful to DK64 specifically but the only reference he has to the original SNES games is his dash attack. Even then, Diddy’s forward special and down special seem to have just been made up for Smash. It took Donkey Kong several Smash games to even get the dash attack right.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I do wanna point out that Pikachu's gimmick is his Down B. That plus his electricity travelling on any surface.

The rest I can agree with, that was the only thing I wanted to add.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Sentiment is building...

You got to love the stark contrast in reception between then (2013) and now. Wish we had that enthusiasm when Tropical Freeze was announced.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
The initial Tropical Freeze reception was so embarrassing, the fake narrative that Retro was being forced to work on it and it being a 'waste of talent', it still pisses me off a little lmao. We've gone over this before, but I honestly don't think most of the people that were complaining were actually fans of Metroid, but rather were bitter that Nintendo didn't have a 'hard-core' title to save the Wii U. Clearly the only way to save the Wii U would have been giving Dixie a solo game, now that would have saved the Wii U, definitely.

Now, on the topic of a new DK game for Switch, it certainly seems like we have a good chance of getting one this E3, but what kind of game do we think it's going to be? I feel like a 3D platformer would probably grab more eyeballs, but a 2D platformer is probably a safer bet from Nintendo's perspective, although Tropical Freeze existing on Switch already might fill that niche for them, then again we did get three DKC games back on the SNES.......Personally, I think I would prefer to see DK finally go 3D again, I think it would be amazing to run around in 3D DK environments, swinging from trees and climbing mountains with the grace only a 500 pound gorilla (and monkey friends) can have. Spiderman PS4 and Miles Morales really made me want to be able to swing around as the Kongs, it would be so much fun playing around with momentum and physics in a 3D space. All that being said, I would also adore a new 2D DKC game as it is my favorite video games series, ideally we would be getting both, maybe one day.......also Dixie HAS to be in whatever this hypothetical game is.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Their have been a lot of rumblings and rumors that we are getting a new DK game at this E3. With even youtubers constantly talking about DK (which as discussed pages back never happens..) so if/when it doesnt happen Im gonna be SEVERELY disappointed.
It is bound to happen eventually. I just hope that the utmost care is given to ensure a quality product... and that Dixie (and certain other Kongs who have missed the spotlight 😉) is not forgotten about. If she makes a big enough appearance, it could be the help she needs to make her way into Smash Bros.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
McTroid is a known clout chaser who just says obvious things most would agree with for easy likes. I unfollowed him ages ago. I doubt what he even said there was genuine, given the less friendly things he’s said on DK before, cool as it would be for this to be his redemption arc.

I would expect Jon Cartwright to say something like that though.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its telling to see how much the context and environment has changed in 8 years since the reveal of TF.

The initial outcry at Tropical Freeze was rooted in a lot of factors. The glut of NSMB titles had made the 2D platformer less novel, Nintendo's minimal promotion/crossover of DKC elements made inclusions like playable Cranky/Dixie less meaningful to the general audience, and one of the biggest of course being that the Wii U was in desperate need of a killer exclusive in those early years. Tropical Freeze in many ways couldn't be that because it was tied to a brand that only only recent come back into the limelight, and the appeal of a 2D platformer (no matter how groundbreaking it was) didn't mean as much at that point.

Ironically, while the New Super Mario Bros games may have made the genre seem less interesting overall, I think the likes of Mario Maker 1 and 2 actually helped show the depth and creativity it could have largely due to the work of fans working outside the traditional Mario style level concepts. That and the numerous 2D platformer homage titles in the indie scene have done a lot to really showcase what it can do capable of beyond just as a retro throwback.

Moreover, the years removed from the situation of a weak console needing a big hit and Metroid fans desperate for their ship to be righted after Other M has allowed TF to be seen for what it was instead of what people had wanted it to be. And as the various YouTube essays have detailed, it was an incredible title that subtly redefined what games of its type could pull off. To compare it with a title belonging to Samus herself, it was the proverbial Super Metroid of platformers in quality and polish, it just took a couple of years for those outside the hardcore DKC fanbase to realize it.

Its why I think there is a real hunger and anticipation for another DKC game now. The return of K Rool as well as the 90s trilogy being on SNES Online has introduced new fans to the series' merits, there's an audience fully looking forward to a quality platformer being on the system, and with a Switch library that has a Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild a new Country title can be one appreciated for its own merits and not seen as a release that needs to buoy up a console.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
One thing that didn't help Tropical Freeze was how Nintendo unveiled it. It came with the usual Jungle Hijinxs theme, and even though it was a brand new rendition, it gave off that "Here we go again" feeling. That, plus Nintendo notoriously copy/pasting NSMB and the factors everyone else mentioned means we got a bland reveal trailer and people angrily wanting Retro to work on a "real" game, because DK was a "waste" of their talents.

Pure BS, but Public Opinion can override reality. While mild, Geoff Keighley's prodding about more "exciting" surprises at the Game Awards (during Cranky's reveal) shows where the gaming world's stance at the time. He says he's reflecting the fans when he asked and I believe him, but the situation is very "Chicken or the Egg". Not faulting him or anything.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So, Dixie is available for purchase in Mario Kart Tour as part of a bundle alongside in-game currency and a platinum taxi for $54.99 CAD. I'm really not a fan of the way Nintendo monetizes this game at all, but at the very least this kind of shows that Nintendo sees Dixie as a valuable character.
Screenshot_20210512-053050_Mario Kart.jpg

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So, Dixie is available for purchase in Mario Kart Tour as part of a bundle alongside in-game currency and a platinum taxi for $54.99 CAD. I'm really not a fan of the way Nintendo monetizes this game at all, but at the very least this kind of shows that Nintendo sees Dixie as a valuable character.View attachment 314857
I guess Dixie is one of the few things that isn't, in fact, cheaper than Diddy.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Seems like wires are cross whether this game will be 2D or 3D. My theory is that the game might be a hybrid kinda like Crash or Sonic.

It's really cool to see Donkey Kong trending on Twitter though. I've seen the occasional disappointment of it possibly being 2D or that it's "replacing Mario Odyssey 2", but it is overall positive. It's definitely better than last time where any positive comments were few and far between.

While I get the disappointment of it being 2D spinoff, I'll eat anything DK at this point. If it means DK has a stable home then surely a 3D DK and DKC 6 will get made eventually.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've seen a lot of rumors/leaks often not turn out to be anything (how long have we heard about Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch for example) but if there is merit to this, my overall prediction is an E3 reveal of a 2D title, likely for release in 2022. In terms of time it would fit the gaps we've seen in the last few years, would follow the pattern of mainline DK and Mario titles rarely coming out the same year, and would likely give next Spring a strong quarterly game.

As far as it likely being 2D, I can't really claim anything except intuition, but I just have a sense that Nintendo EAD just doesn't have much interest in non 3D Mario these days. Given that the only non-port games have been Mario Maker 1-2 (relying almost entirely on user generated content), it feels like a series in hibernation at the moment. However given there is a 2D platformer gap to be filled in both the market and as an area for designer ideas, DK fits easily into that role, especially as its the second most profitable variation after Mario. Its an IP that has broader awareness in the last few years, and with the strong sales of Tropical Freeze the most obvious move is to capitalize on it via another 2D entry.

That's not to say a 3D DK game won't or can't come out, and it could be I'm dead wrong and we see three dimensional Donkey Kong return at E3. But given Nintendo's tendency to reinvent and challenge themselves with games, a side scroller might be the most interesting opportunity for them, especially if many of those within Nintendo EAD really are DKC fans.

Top Bottom