• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Helicopter Spin is actually acceptable as Up B, "Peach float" and even second jump. Up B is as she flies away of screen in Tropical Freeze. "Peach float" is the descending DKC2 / DKC3 version. Second jump is her Tropical Freeze second jump. It's so easy..... Make her very light to compensate.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I agree. Taking up a special move to do something other characters can do freely out of their jumps feels like a huge waste. I'd much rather have Squawks or a barrel cannon for her up-B. (Squawks would be a nice way to reuse Mega Man's cut custom special where he calls Beat.)

Honestly, the barrel cannon should be DK's up-B. He's probably the character that's suffered the most for being stuck with a moveset from 1999, before Smash had all the references and personality it has today.
I disagree. I feel DK's moveset have aged the best out of the original 12 cast alongside Link. DK at his core is more of brawler and i feel the only changes necessary for his moveset were implementing his Roll from the DKC series (thank god Smash 4 did that) change his Side Special and Up Special.

The one that aged really badly on the other hand, is Samus. She is supposed to use her arm cannon as the main weapon and yet over half of her Smash moveset is just generic Punches and Kicks, and her Up Special is not even unique to her due to the Screw Attack beign an item since Melee (why wasn't it changed to the Shine Spark?) and Mii Gunner's moveset is basically what Samus's moveset should have been, at least in terms of Non-Special Moves (there's even a ****ing Samus Costume for it) doesn't help her ONE Physical attack she has in the Metroid series, The Counter Attack from Samus Returns, isn't even on her Smash moveset.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like movesets in Smash can be a hit or miss in most cases which kind of sucks given Sakurai's philosophy in where he never wants to drastically change a character's moveset because of the fans that have main them over the years. As much as I like semi-clone Falcondorf, I would still prefer Ganondorf with his magic powers:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^PM Ganondorf was a good start, they gave him a float mechanic that doubles as a reflector. It's a direct reference to something he does in Ocarina of Time. I think it's totally possible to make Ganondorf feel more authentic to how he functions in Zelda games while still feeling like the bruiser that Smash fans have come to love.

Back to Dixie: I'd think if we're gonna assign Helicopter Spin to a special move, it should be side B. It more closely mimics how it works in the SNES DKC games, and it compliments Diddy's Monkey Flip.

That said, I am in the camp that it would be more interesting as a float mechanic, and it frees her specials up to do other cool things. Like summon Kiddy Kong! I mean, that is the only reason we want her in the game, right? :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What I think of the aged Smash movesets is that they simply should incorporate some characters twice on the roster, especially some of the Original 12. Give it a cute name, like X Mode Samus or something. X Mode Donkey Kong, Mario, name it.

I think they did Link very well, Fox and Pikachu also have strong functional movesets that represent them well, even if Skull Bash is just weird now... Give Quick Attack more jumps or something to compensate for recovery loss. Side B should be Thunder Bolt. Donkey Kong is actually the very first Smash character with a gimmick with cargo, much like Kirby's jumps is those count. Anyway, some characters desperately need to be represented better. DK could use some different Specials outside Neutral and Down B. Samus needs to be projectile based more, way more. Mewtwo needs to have more actual psychic powers like a ranged "ghost grab", actual a good command grab, some powerful stuff as Psystrike, make him actually use buffs or barriers if they insist on the light weight playstyle. Ganondorf, well... Yeah. Charizard needs to behave like his 4 X Rock weakness and use more fire and flying stuff...

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
On the topic of Nintendo racers, if they aren't going to make a new F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, or Kirby's Air Ride, they should at the very least include C. Falcon, Diddy, and Kirby in Mario Kart. I also 100% believe the next Mario Kart will include more Nintendo guest characters. However, the name "Mario Kart" will never go away or be rebranded to "Nintendo Kart."
I'll be honest Im in the camp thats fully on board for "Nintendo Kart" in idea alone Idc what the name is. They dont have to name it "Nintendo Kart" because the Mario Kart brand is too strong but instead call it "Mario Kart: Nintendo Circuit" or "Mario Kart: All-Star Racing" or something.

I just feel with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit both on Switch. Nintendo is gonna have to do something different with the series on Switch if their is to be a main Mario Kart on the Switch (Nintendo could very well see Tour and Home Circuit as suitable replacements for the time being). The answer is simple either Double Dash 2 or Nintendo Kart or hell both and combine the two for the next Mario Kart.

The game can still mostly be Mario characters but we need to trim the fat obviously for this to work. So in my mind the roster of Mario characters in this game looks like this:

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Toad
  • Bowser
  • Peach
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • Waluigi
  • Daisy
  • Yoshi
  • Rosalina
  • Pauline
  • Toadette
  • Birdo

14 Mario characters out of lets say a 30 character roster a little under half. The other 16 characters should be:

• Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Villager
  • Isabelle
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Inkling Boy/Girl (one slot use alts like Yoshi/Shy Guy)
  • Captain Falcon
  • Fox McCloud
  • Olimar
  • Spring-Man
  • Kirby
  • Meta Knight
  • King Dedede
  • Samus

Of course racetracks based on all the series listed above. Instead of Retro cups we get 16 brand new courses based on Nintendo franchises and the 4 normal cups will just be standard Mario themed tracks.

Karts can be based off of Epona, Arwing, Wolfen, Samus's Gunship, Blue Falcon, Rambi, Enguarde, Warpstar, Dragoon, etc.

Items are mostly standard Mario kart fare with a few new items based on other Nintendo franchises. We really can have "the best of both worlds".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, Mewtwo. Was one of the most hype characters when it came to moveset speculation like when mega evolution and all that was new at the time, but then when it was brought back with its Melee moveset intact as SSB4 DLC, we were brought back to reality and the hype for a proper psychic fighter just fizzled out. Became pretty underplayed by Ultimate too despite all the patch buffs it got to compensate.

I disagree. I feel DK's moveset have aged the best out of the original 12 cast alongside Link. DK at his core is more of brawler and i feel the only changes necessary for his moveset were implementing his Roll from the DKC series (thank god Smash 4 did that) change his Side Special and Up Special.

The one that aged really badly on the other hand, is Samus. She is supposed to use her arm cannon as the main weapon and yet over half of her Smash moveset is just generic Punches and Kicks, and her Up Special is not even unique to her due to the Screw Attack beign an item since Melee (why wasn't it changed to the Shine Spark?) and Mii Gunner's moveset is basically what Samus's moveset should have been, at least in terms of Non-Special Moves (there's even a ****ing Samus Costume for it) doesn't help her ONE Physical attack she has in the Metroid series, The Counter Attack from Samus Returns, isn't even on her Smash moveset.
Yeah, DK is fine mostly outside of those few dated moves.

There was also her melee moves/finishers in Other M, which Smash no doubt inspired to some degree... I personally would've had beam switching for her neutral special, at the cost of less kill power for the charge shot depending on the beam that's active. As it is though, she's still high tier (or at least high mid) in Ultimate after her last buffs from one of the previous patches, and has been one of the most played characters online. There's still complaints about her jab move I guess in that it doesn't connect right, but I'd rather have a bad jab than a dysfunctional down air like Ridley's. Happy with him otherwise; is amusing how Rid and DK are like peers when it comes to their matchup with one anoother or just their range in dealing with matchups in general. Could be better, but at least they're not Mac or Ganondorf tier. Heavies ftw.

And then there's Dark Samus who many just forget is even in the game after a certain point. Echo fighter is better than nothing, but after seeing the Phazon attacks her assist trophy had in SSB4, is still a shame she couldn't of been a tad more unique. At least Dixie should more likely be done better whenever she gets in.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

I'm totally in favor of overhauling Samus too, but at least her current specials are all stuff she can actually do in the Metroid games. For DK, it's one out of four, the ground pound/hand slap, and he doesn't even get the classic rhythm right.

Giving him the roll was a good start, but if it were up to me, I'd wipe the slate clean and start from scratch as if he was a new character debuting in Ultimate. B would be the sound wave attack from Jungle Beat (maybe something like Mewtwo's Disable?), up-B would be a barrel cannon, and side-B would make him throw or roll a barrel. His Final Smash would be the moon punch from DKC Returns.

Basically, DK feels like a generic gorilla in Smash. I want him to feel more like the character I love. That reminds me, give him his voice instead of just stock growls. Grant Kirkhope or Takeshi Nagasako, either one is fine.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Oh, Mewtwo. Was one of the most hype characters when it came to moveset speculation like when mega evolution and all that was new at the time, but then when it was brought back with its Melee moveset intact as SSB4 DLC, we were brought back to reality and the hype for a proper psychic fighter just fizzled out. Became pretty underplayed by Ultimate too despite all the patch buffs it got to compensate.
To be fair, Mewtwo became heavily played on Smash 4 thanks to those last patches, the only reason people don't play as him much anymore is because people don't like getting hit in the tail. And this is coming from somone who's most played characters in Smash Ultimate are Simon, Mega Man, and Mewtwo (i am loyal to my characters to the end).

But honestly a lot of Smash movesets pre-4 suffer from characters having stuff made up for normals (Aerials, Jab and Smash Attacks, etc) while the special moves are the only ones that seem to reference the characters of origin. Samus as i said before suffers heavily from this, and Mewtwo does this too to an extent due to his huge amount of tail attacks that could be replaced with more visually striking "Psychic Attacks", though aside from the heavy amount of tail attacks, i do enjoy playing as Mewtwo a lot, it's the tail hurtbox that bothers me so much. But i never listen to Tier Lists anyways, which to me scream "i can't do it, therefore nobody can"

But no character will ever dissapoint me as much as ONE, and that one is Wario. Unlike Ganondorf who at least had the excuse of small development time, Wario was chosen as one of the earliest Brawl choices, and a moveset that could have EASILY been FILLED with references like Mega Man and Simon, with Shoulder Bash as a Side Special, Shake It's Shake Mechanic as a Neutral Special (at least Smash 4 onwards), Ground Pound as a Down Aerial, Multiple Wario Transformations as Normal Attacks like Smash and Titls, and his throwing ability as a cargo throw, but instead we get whatever the hell Sakurai was smoking that morning, its' dissapointing how a character with so much rich history gets a made up moveset of horse****. and yes i know they used Wario World moves, and those are among the lamest of his kit visually (why not use some cool ones like his Pliedriver?) the only moves i would rescue for his current kit are the Wario Bike, and the Wario Waft, because even though i hate Wario beign caracterized as anything close to Dragon Ball's Bacteria (NO, i don't care what some random japanese instruction manual and commercial says, or do you want Wario to use a coin the hypnotize you?), i do admit a Fart that launches you upwards is more unique than another Ground Pound, which is why i would rather have it as a Down Aerial instead (then again we have like, over 20 Counters)

Im not exeaggerating when i say every fanmod and fangame of Smash is FAR more fun and faithful to Wario as a character than the official Smash series. Smash 64 Remix, Smash Flash 2, Smash Bros Crusade, Project M, and Smash 2. All of them are more fun than what i've got. DON'T even get me started on Wario losing his Shoulder Bash in Smash 4, that was blasphemy and any excuse he gave was automatically bull****. It's like Sonic without his Spin Dash (and no Sonic 1 doesn't count because they have made like a thousand rereleases where they put the Spin Dash in) or Mega Man without his Mega Buster.

Don't get me wrong, Wario IS fun to play as in Smash Ultimate...............to an extent. It says something when everytime i want to finish my opponent, i do it with the Shoulder Bash. Im just really upset that what could have been a moveset filled with Wario Land history is instead just....................dissapointment. And no i don't care about Tier Lists, so that means jack **** to me.

After watching Fawful's Minion, i realize Kirby could use some retool too. Just because he's supposed to be easy to play doesn't mean he has to be visually boring and have made-up kicks. His Specials and Grabs are fine, but it would be cool if his Smash Attacks were changed to actual abilities, Spark for the Down Smash similar to Pikachu's, Spike for the Up Smash, and for his Side Smash turn the Hammer into a Smash attack, i mean Sakurai did turn Mario Tornado into a Down Aerial. For a new Side Special turn the Burn Dash Attack into it, working similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz. That should do.

I could go on but ****, look at how much i wrote already. I just have to say that at last i know Dixie's moveset would look more visually appealing due to Smash having more research into Normal Moves.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
People also dropped Mewtwo since they could no longer infinite airdodge with him like in SSB4. Without that luxury, his light + floaty problems became much more apparent, though the tail hurtbox change in Ultimate didn't help either.

I don't care how you feel about the concept of tiers, but they exist for a reason, and I'm a character loyalist too; else I'd just switch to maining Palutena by this point and call it a day.

Honestly, with a roster as big as Ultimate's, whether one is like low or mid tier is trivial. How they perform in their matchups is what's important. Even a low tier can be good on their own merits and have some good matchups, but someone more blatant badly designed like Mac or Ganondorf do not which was why I was ragging on them as an example. Samus was pretty bad at the start of Ultimate too (and infamously bad in SSB4), but with where she is now after all the buffs, her players have little room to complain from where I'm standing. The gripe with her being a dated Smash 64 character is valid, but still, others have aged far worse.

Kirby was honestly one of the most stylish Smash 64 characters to start out with, but would argue needs some modern touches now more than anyone. Charizard still isn't the same to me without Rock Smash which had a good purpose... And agree on Wario; he's a uniquely odd case.

People have kinda always been, and will always be divided on move/moveset utility (whether a move is good/well designed) vs moves that reference the characters' original games. Captain Falcon is one of the more popular Smash characters whose well designed, despite having nothing from F-Zero in his moveset except for the final smash. If I had to choose, would just prefer to have good designed moves for a character whether they happen to be a reference to something or not, but if something's a good move and a reference, then it's a nice bonus.

Ganon's bad in both moveset utility and move references. They tried to please the Ganondorf sword people with the new smash attacks, but you just have a rather incohesive moveset now, who still otherwise has the same problems as he did before. I don't envy Ganon who they're afraid to buff since they have to keep balance in mind for casual play too.

Ridley having some kick moves which you wouldn't see in Metroid doesn't stop me from enjoying him in Smash, but his d-air should either have a shackwave effect in its current form (to reference the Meta Ridley stomp), or should've been the pogo tail, but you got Project M Rid for the latter, so whatever. Otherwise good kit. Some of the moveset purists who I'd seen dump on Ultimate Ridley just came off as ungrateful to me after we waited all these years to get him playable officially. Not to say you can't have criticism of his or anyone's moveset, but the "They don't have this move, 0/10!" people have just been obnoxiously annoying from my experience.

But again, don't have to worry about kind of stuff with Dixie, who is one of the easier to execute characters by design with the hair spins.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
There wasn't much they could have done with Falcon anyway given that he's almost always in a car, but I think he still feels like F-Zero in the abstract: fast and hard to control, but mastering his movement makes him highly rewarding.

I think that's true of most Smash 64 vets in general; they aren't always pulling entire movesets and mechanics straight from their games, but they still capture the feel of their series in a broad sense. Fox has precision and agility, Link has his wide arsenal of items, Donkey Kong is quick and powerful with style. But honestly I'm kinda biased towards the simpler movesets anyway so don't listen to me.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I think it's possible to pay homage to each character's canon abilities and still make their movesets relatively simple. The ultra-gimmicky characters like Rosalina, Hero and Steve aren't as much fun to play, imho.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace

With Nintendo recently hiring for a 2D game and with a patent for I believe was Labo bongos, something tells the cynic side of me it's going to be a Jungle Beat sequel. I mean, I would love a sequel especially if they brought back Diddy, Dixie, etc., but to continue on with something that wasn't very popular even for Gamecube standards would be a poor business decision.

Of course, neither my scenario nor Hyle's speculation on it being 3D doesn't line up with what the Kremling Kampaigner said in that Country will be the brand from now on and there will be no more spin-offs at least for awhile. Unless the 3D game is called DK 3D Country which I think would be a stupid name.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Its easy enough to imagine something like "Donkey Kong Country Adventure" as a title for a 3D game.

I'd be surprised if its an open world collectathon given how much Odyssey was a Mario return to that and Nintendo doesn't seem keen on having their franchises compete with each other in genre.
I will never understand Nintendo's logic there. Mario Kart can only be the one Nintendo racer! 3D Mario can only be the one 3D platforming/collectathon series! Metroid Prime can only be the one First Person series! Etc.

But we can make 500 different 2D platforming games! Metroid, Kirby, Mario, Yoshi, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Country! Hell even Pikmin and Chibi-Robo can be 2D platformers now too!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will never understand Nintendo's logic there. Mario Kart can only be the one Nintendo racer! 3D Mario can only be the one 3D platforming/collectathon series! Metroid Prime can only be the one First Person series! Etc.

But we can make 500 different 2D platforming games! Metroid, Kirby, Mario, Yoshi, Wario Land, Donkey Kong Country! Hell even Pikmin and Chibi-Robo can be 2D platformers now too!
And its worth noting that even that's died down. Metroid has had one 2D game in the last 15 years, Wario Land has been supplanted by Wario Ware, and every DKC game (even the 3DS & Switch ports) have never once come out the same year as a 2D Mario release. I think Kirby only gets a pass because its more of a beat em up with platformer & puzzle elements than an outright platform game.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
You know, if Nintendo has truly adopted the DK series in-house, then somewhere down the line they'll have to eventually make a new DKC. How wild will that be? A Nintendo developed Country game is something I would never thought would ever happen, but now it may be an actual thing in the future. I just pray it will be more like Retro's DKC and less like New Super Mario Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Samus's jab should really just be a regular Power Beam shot functioning while walking like Mega Man's jab does. Down B being Morph Ball , F Air being a projectile , and she's golden.

Mewtwo needs more psychic based regular attacks with extra flair, extra range, he should be difficult to approach, be able to take more hits but have some end lag to his moves which he could cover with things like barriers, or Recover instead of Down B. Confusion must be replaced with Psychic which is the same thing X 10 , and you really don't wanna get hit by it at all. Smashes must be explosive and grandiose, but in animation they look fine. Just bigger hitboxes and more powerful looking animations. Tilts could be psychic energy blades with a cutting effect which are disjointed.

DK needs to control the ground better and I think Down B seriously deserves to be borderline broken move to give DK a serious sort of ranged treat. Give it triple the range for starts and serious hitstun on impact to make DK able to follow up things. Make it slap fast like in Tropical Freeze and give it strong shield break properties and a dazzling effect upon close impact. Also increase damage so it works kinda like you're fighting the big bosses. Up B is Barrel Throw and becomes a Barrel Blast Cannon in the air. Spinning Kong becomes Side B.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This video has, imo, the ideal moveset retooling for DK. I'dve done things a little different with Dixie's moves, tho...

I've watched it before, good video yes. Right now am using my phone data so can't check it since it's limited, but I liked their perspective.

You know what DK needs is a strong move to get people off him. I think Down B with strongggggg armour could just do that, give him something more ranged and something to control the stage with, and make him way harder to approach. Aerial Down B could be the Jungle Beat sound clap, also with armour, to keep the weaker combo moves not as fatal for him. Side B Spinning Kong together with Up B Barrel Throw which becomes the Barrel Cannon in the air could give him much needed recovery properties. Combine this with his power, agility and combos and Smash could have a functional super heavy for once.

I also would really like it if Diddy became less reliant on the Banana, or possibly get rid off it. He needs to be much more of a hit and run character, sending people high with his cart wheel and batter them with F Air, U Air, B Air barrages. Give back his great grab game. It fits him to be a speedster type of grappler, that's what monkeys do. Like the OG 12, some of the Brawl characters have movesets too much designed around Brawl's slow pacing. Diddy also needs some safe poking moves, I feel jab could have a 4th attack with a tail swipe for example, F Tilt either needs more power and range or be another tail poke attack. F Air needs it's old range desperately, and more power. Peanut Popguns should deal more damage and hitstun, and like this video said should be able to be used in conjunction with his Rocket Barrel Jet. In general the Rocket Barrel Jet should be able to let Diddy use his aerial attacks to make awesome aerial chases and follow ups. Imagine comboing someone way up high, another U Air could finish it but the enemy is too far off to finish them. Up B would solve that problem nicely. Now what to down with Down B? Give Diddy a Barrel Throw too but he holds it like a shield ? Chimpy Charge ? Simain Slam? I could see them giving him the long backwards somersault from DK64, working kind of like a backwards ZZS Down B, launching himself as a multiple hitting hit box? Possible spike properties? Possible to aim it slightly ? I dunno, something acrobatic would really fit Diddy better than the defensive Brawl playstyle. A super charged cartwheel also would be a really nice Down B now I think of it. Hold it like Sonic's Spin Dash and then Diddy launches himself cartwheeling into enemies dealing good damage, and can even be jump canceled and be used for recovery.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I wouldn't be against two Kongs having a barrel toss as a special move but are differentiated in type. Maybe with Diddy having a standard barrel he holds in front of him while Donkey Kong has the TNT version that's thrown at a slower speed but does more damage and can be set down as a timed explosive (that can also hit him if he's not careful).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This video has, imo, the ideal moveset retooling for DK. I'dve done things a little different with Dixie's moves, tho...

Not really feeling these concepts.

For DK, the new Down B is essentially a counter and leaves him ridiculously vulnerable. Jigglypuff's is high risk/reward whereas this lets DK heal for 15 seconds AND punish whoever stops him. Let Giant Punch become his Side B while his Down B stays the same. Barrel Cannon for an Up B is fine and the Barrel grab Neutral B is fine too, but him losing his Cargo Grab due to that limits his combo potential. Keep Cargo Grab.

The little suggestions for personality flourishes in his moves are OK, however the main idea with Donkey Kong is that he's agile and fast for his size in his home series and Smash. Since it's a fighting game, Sakurai emphasizing his violent side is fine.

With Diddy, the Popgun idea is great, but the Up B doesn't need changing. That explosive jump is great for escapes as is and good for foes huddled too close to you, especially if they're roll spamming around you. Functioning like ROB's isn't good for his hyperactivity. Diddy's not durable and you don't wanna give him a slow recovery. Losing the Side B for a cartwheel replacement is horrid considering all the use we get out of it as is: recovery, surprise attacks, light meteor smash, extra grab; the problem the Duke has with Diddy's cartwheel is that it changed from Brawl's version, where it functioned just like he wants it to.

Removing the bananas is fine, but he could have easily replaced them with the Orange grenades. Give it a weird trajectory and voila problem solved; now he won't over rely on his Down B but he's not wasting a slot on a transformation. Further, there's no point in having transformation characters if they play similarly. Zelda/Sheik, and the Pokemon trio vastly make up for their partners' weaknesses. A Dixie that's similar to Diddy might as well be an alt, and considering what Dixie can do with her hair, she's better off getting her own slot like the other DK characters. Kiddy's better suited to being a prop to help Dixie's moveset in a partner mechanic than it is to pair Diddy and Dixie, because they have more of a yin yang flavor. Even above that Dixie has what it takes to stand on her own like the other stars of DKC.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dixie hovering out of a jump is just Dixie 101! I feel like a lot of people who are saying it should be her up-B are the same people who want Dixie to be an echo of Diddy but just replace her up-B with DK's up-B like with Chrom using Ike's up-B. The problem with that idea is I feel like Dixie would have to be animated differently as DK uses both his arms and Dixie only has the one ponytail. Sure it's as powerful as two arms but I don't see it working like DK. Of course, this won't matter if Dixie gets in as a unique fighter....but I still can't imagine it.....
I'm suddenly imagining about Dixie getting her own kind of float-mechanic to what Peach possesses today, but with maybe little more vertical applications. But probably not that heavily inspired.

Also if we're discussing moveset overhauls... I'm still here waiting Wario to be more like his Wario Land-self wholly like PM to even picking up maining him ever again.

Marth in a kart wouldn't be that much more out of place for me than Link, but I agree with the message overall; Nintendo Kart is a diluted slippery slope to go down. Some other IP appearances in MK is welcome on occasion, but don't really see Nintendo going to Smash levels of crossover with it.
It's felt tad tiring at times that I can't sorta escape Smash Bros today whenever playing MK8D these days due having to see Inklings during wanting to take a break from them.

In whole though, I really wish Mario Kart could take a page from CTR: Nitro-Fueled in means of doing Mario-centric tributes, including many subseries which could have benefitted from Mario Kart's huge exposure (like... WarioWare... or Mario & Luigi RPGs...)

Nintendo Kart would not only feel redundant, but risk making these sort of crossovers even nauseatingly overabused for sake of garnering sales and ruin that special glint in them, in style of Sonic-franchise being more or less driven by nostalgia and "capturing his glory days" during last decade.

I could even argue that "Nintendo Kart", due being possibly more "casual" to get into than Smash (at least gameplay/fanbase-wise), would even slowly usurp Smash itself incase Nintendo would find it easier to produce for similar, if not even more profit.

Finally, I can't help thinking this hypothetical series would have to make way for 3rd Parties because one day we'll see tweets going "Please say I'm not the only one dreaming about racing as Sonic/Mega Man/Steve/Bayonetta/Cloud Strife/ in Nintendo Kart", and use the Mario Kart GP-arcade titles with Pac-Man in them to justify it...

Goodness, this really is a slippery slope...

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
DKC is already quite flexible when it comes to mixing linearity and exploration, and I imagine a 3D DKC will be exactly like that but in the 3rd dimension. I do think it will have more emphasis on exploration than something like Crash or 3D World, but not as much as Odyssey.
I've said it before, but the best possible blueprint for a new 3D Donkey Kong game is Wario World. It seriously has it all: naturalistic environments, optional paths that lead to bonus rooms and hidden goodies, super fun combat, etc.

Wario Land has been supplanted by Wario Ware, and every DKC game (even the 3DS & Switch ports) have never once come out the same year as a 2D Mario release.
That depends on whether or not you think Yoshi's Island is a Mario game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't be against two Kongs having a barrel toss as a special move but are differentiated in type. Maybe with Diddy having a standard barrel he holds in front of him while Donkey Kong has the TNT version that's thrown at a slower speed but does more damage and can be set down as a timed explosive (that can also hit him if he's not careful).
I'm more in favour of a super charged cartwheel honestly. It would represent the roll through multiple enemies part of DKC. And we all know, Diddy has the best roll and roll jump in the SNES DKCs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've said it before, but the best possible blueprint for a new 3D Donkey Kong game is Wario World. It seriously has it all: naturalistic environments, optional paths that lead to bonus rooms and hidden goodies, super fun combat, etc.
A 3D Donkey Kong Country game that plays like Wario World would be a dream come true. That would certainly be a tons better than DK64.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone. I got a stream of moveset ideas in the weeks to come so I'm gonna start early since November's around the corner.

So in addition to Hair Pivots, another category for Dixie movesets I came up with will be called "5th Limb." Basically, this category are the instances where Dixie uses her hair exclusively for attacks. It covers things like grabbing, throwing and anything one could do with their arm. For Dixie that also includes whip-like maneuvers, such as this:

Here, Dixie whips her hair in front of her to sting foes. It's most potent at the tip and boasts more damage than knockback while being reliably fast. There's little startup lag but a decent touch of endlag, and with all hair-related moves of Dixie the range is good for a Kong her size. This is an airborne attack, but in the context of Smash this works well as a Forward Air. Further, this could be angled diagonally (as shown), horizontally or vertically. Whichever works best for your imagination.

Here's the the transparent version:

Hope y'all like this. It's pretty straightforward and not flashy but it gets its job done nicely. Feel free to put it on twitter when the time is right!

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Out of curiosity, since Pauline has SHOWN that newcomers to Mario Kart Tour can get special costumes, what do you feel would fit Dixie BEST if she and the rest of the Kongs got alts?

I'd say it would be cool to see her DKC Cartoon design get in Tour in a modernized style by Nintendo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That's a great Kongcept, BirthNote BirthNote ! You're putting to picture a lot of the vague concepts I think a lot of us have but turning them into Kongcrete moves. Excellent!
Thanks! Happy to be back too! There'll be more coming soon; thanks for keeping the twitter and tumblr pages alive

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Looks awesome BirthNote BirthNote !

Funny enough I just finished some more DK Racing art! This time the Kremlings get an update. Mad Jack was the only one left unscathed (besides recoloring him) as everyone else got new drawings. Kalypso is going for the gold this time around and Kudgel somehow changed to Klubba!

Comparison shot between the old and the new.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Looks awesome BirthNote BirthNote !

Funny enough I just finished some more DK Racing art! This time the Kremlings get an update. Mad Jack was the only one left unscathed (besides recoloring him) as everyone else got new drawings. Kalypso is going for the gold this time around and Kudgel somehow changed to Klubba!

Comparison shot between the old and the new.
That's excellent Seashore! I updated the thread title to highlight both our posts!

Top Bottom