• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
A lot of people underestimated Dixie even before this announcement. No matter how much sense it makes to us, people still doubt she will make it saying crap like "We already have K. Rool; no need for another DK character." or the worst one "Echoes are deconfirmed. Dixie never had a chance." If anything, what Reggie said is more applicable to us than we care to admit. She is an all-star, no doubt, but to the rest of the world, she is just as an underdog as Joker once was.

In other words, it's way too damn soon to give up now. While my anticipation for her has admittedly been lowered because of this announcement, my hope hasn't been squashed either.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie was not deconfirmed because Reggie never said anything about new franchises.
The thing is though, it's been advertised that everyone who was ever playable has made a return, and that's well known. "Characters new to the series" is redundant cuz we knew since June that characters old to the series are all back. He has no need to specify that because there were never any old characters to bring back after the E3 Direct. Therefore, people will take that to mean brand new characters from brand new franchises.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
To be frank I’ll take Dixie as an echo at this point. She’s got no shot against third-parties and I’d rather have her in the game than have to wait 7-10 years for a sequel. Nintendo keeps hyping this game as the biggest crossover in gaming history so I expect the DLC to all be third-Party and from new IPs. If that’s the case I can at least hope for Banjo and Crash.

I still stand by my point that the DK franchise is getting significantly promoted. Did you see how many appearances DK had at The Game Awards? He was in the Joker trailer, Mario Tennis three second clip, Smash ads etc. Even my dad who hates games said, “That’s Donkey Kong”. However Dixie’s inclusion in Smash isn’t that important for promoting the franchise as a whole bc that’s K. Rool’s job, so while I’m disappointed it’s echo or bust it seems.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
These are the times where SEGA has as many reps as DK.
Ouch lol I see what you’re saying but I count Bayonetta as a Nintendo rep cause the rights situation is like Pokémon. In that case Game Freak/Creatures Inc. has more reps than every franchise but Mario.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
The thing is though, it's been advertised that everyone who was ever playable has made a return, and that's well known. "Characters new to the series" is redundant cuz we knew since June that characters old to the series are all back. He has no need to specify that because there were never any old characters to bring back after the E3 Direct. Therefore, people will take that to mean brand new characters from brand new franchises.
I'm sure it was a promotional statement, for people who don't follow Smash as closely as we do. The audience for the game awards may not necessarily be the Nintendo audience so he's hyping up the fighter pass as much as possible.

I''ll admit, I don't think Dixie is likely at this point and I'm expecting mostly third party characters, but she's not done yet.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Man they really downplayed DK in the opening. I counted 3 times I saw anyone, not counting the scene of everyone on the cliff. Two scenes were blink and you miss it and the other one was K Rool in a multiplayer match.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm sure it was a promotional statement, for people who don't follow Smash as closely as we do. The audience for the game awards may not necessarily be the Nintendo audience so he's hyping up the fighter pass as much as possible.

I''ll admit, I don't think Dixie is likely at this point and I'm expecting mostly third party characters, but she's not done yet.
Honestly I'd love to be wrong about this, and you do have a point regarding PR speak. For me it's the end of the line. I have the game in my hands and I'll hopefully enjoy it.

Maybe Dixie's time will come in the next Smash, but that's so far off that I have no idea where my life will head. I just finished moving, and so I wasn't active during the final countdown but I really did enjoy this thread. Whenever the next Smash comes around I hope a HUGE chunk of the creativity and love for this character migrates with it, and I hope we don't simply accept Echo status for Dixie, as I'm confident she deserves more than that.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Honestly I'd love to be wrong about this, and you do have a point regarding PR speak. For me it's the end of the line. I have the game in my hands and I'll hopefully enjoy it.

Maybe Dixie's time will come in the next Smash, but that's so far off that I have no idea where my life will head. I just finished moving, and so I wasn't active during the final countdown but I really did enjoy this thread. Whenever the next Smash comes around I hope a HUGE chunk of the creativity and love for this character migrates with it, and I hope we don't simply accept Echo status for Dixie, as I'm confident she deserves more than that.
Agreed, I gotta get this off my chest but when I started here the reason why I tried to tolerate that situation cause so many users on Game FAQ's(the place I regret being at for so long) shoved it down my throat about it. After being on this thread and the inclusion of Isabelle I feel like it wouldn't actually happen since the echo treatment go against her history and characteristics which the devs almost always do a good job with the characters with their move sets.

I have no ill feelings towards the people who would the echo treatment but when it seems like the least likely situation to happen so they might be relying on false hope. People should never judge a book by it's cover, Dixie has a lot of potential to become her own fighter and it is quite a shame that she hasn't been on the priority list to get in but life is never going to give everything that's desired.

I've really enjoyed being on this thread and I'm glad she still has a lot of great supporters, let the spirit of Dixie live on in all of our hearts.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love Joker's inclusion into Smash Bros, I do feel that the game is slowly becoming less about Nintendo's legacy and more about generating internet hype.

Regarding Reggie's quote, I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie himself doesn't know the full roster seeing as it seems Nintendo of Japan are the ones calling the shots looking at this latest announcement. If we do only end up getting third party characters, here's hoping we get a second wave of DLC characters focused entirely on Nintendo reps.

A lot of people feel Joker's inclusion is undeserved, with Persona having a long history on Sony consoles, HOWEVER two of the series' spin off titles: Persona Q and Persona Q2, were both exclusive to Nintendo 3DS, the latter of which featured Joker as a main character. Persona is also connected strongly to the Shin Megami Tensei series, which has had a strong presence on previous Nintendo systems. I feel many references to those games could easily be represented in Joker's moveset as Personas he could summon. SMT has been around 1987 debuting on the original famicom and is way more deserving of representation over someone like Minecraft Steve imo.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
To be frank I’ll take Dixie as an echo at this point. She’s got no shot against third-parties and I’d rather have her in the game than have to wait 7-10 years for a sequel. Nintendo keeps hyping this game as the biggest crossover in gaming history so I expect the DLC to all be third-Party and from new IPs. If that’s the case I can at least hope for Banjo and Crash.

I still stand by my point that the DK franchise is getting significantly promoted. Did you see how many appearances DK had at The Game Awards? He was in the Joker trailer, Mario Tennis three second clip, Smash ads etc. Even my dad who hates games said, “That’s Donkey Kong”. However Dixie’s inclusion in Smash isn’t that important for promoting the franchise as a whole bc that’s K. Rool’s job, so while I’m disappointed it’s echo or bust it seems.
Nope. Dixie would likely not be implemented as an echo. In fact, I think that's why it's not "Dixie or bust" and rather just "bust" because if Dixie could be an echo, she would have been in this game.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Nope. Dixie would likely not be implemented as an echo. In fact, I think that's why it's not "Dixie or bust" and rather just "bust" because if Dixie could be an echo, she would have been in this game.
I agree with what you’re saying but I’m still not ruling out echoes as DLC separate from the Fighters Pass, but at that point I think Funky’s more likely.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As much as I love Joker's inclusion into Smash Bros, I do feel that the game is slowly becoming less about Nintendo's legacy and more about generating internet hype.
That's exactly why I'm glad I didn't buy the fighter pass. I always had a gut feeling it was either gonna be A. All super relevant promo picks or B. A 3rd party ****fest. Looks like we're getting the latter. So in my mind I have no desire to continue to speculate about Smash because I've always hated 3rd party inclusions in Smash and always will. I just unlocked all the first party characters and left all the 3rd parties locked away behind "Challenger approaching" and plan to keep it that way forever. In my mind the "Ultimate" Smash is going back to 64 and Melee's original vision of Nintendo All-Stars duking it out and I've successfully recreated it due to the "streamlined" unlock system allowing it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo just isn’t confident enough in their B-list characters for them to be DLC. They know third party characters generate discussion and headlines and they know it gets interest outside of the diehard Nintendo bubble. If I were to guess, Nintendo asked Sakurai if they wanted to include an Atlus/SMT character due to the good business relationship, and Sakurai landed on Joker, being a big fan of Persona 5. Nintendo might also be trying to push Smash as a general gaming crossover to make it more competitive with other consoles.

As for the future of Dixie, I’m not sure. I feel like Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Toad are all sort of in the same boat; recognizable characters from classic Nintendo series that fly under Sakurai’s radar since they aren’t the first or secondary protagonist of their IP. These types of characters probably don’t interest him unless they can be easily cloned or have a really standout gameplay mechanic. Fans will have to keep supporting these characters if they can hope to move the needle rather than assuming they’ll just get in.

As a Persona fan, I’m fine with Joker, and I imagine the next Smash will go back to the regular Nintendo newcomer roster + 1-2 third parties, but Smash DLC I expect to maintain its third party focus for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think it's fine to keep this thread alive. I think the way to go forward would be to do as the Isaac fans are: get our character into more games. We need to make sure there's no six-year hiatus for her adventures again, and the way to do that is by showing Nintendo how much we care about the character. Making sure she stays in the next Donkey Kong Country, getting her into Mario spin-offs, anything helps in the long run. That's the approach the K Rool people (myself one of them) did last time.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Have you guys seen Papagenos last video? This is obviously just a random 4chan poster but some guy predicted Joker. He also said the other characters are Crono from Chrono Trigger, Banjo, Edelgard from Fire Emblem and Sylux from Metroid Prime.

Banjo would be hype, but the rest of the roster is frankly terrible to me. The thought of another Emblem rep is disgusting and it’s gonna really tick me off if Metroid gets three reps this game. I know some of you guys don’t like the sales argument but Metroid and Fire Emblem don’t deserve to have 13 reps between them.

Obviously this hasn’t been confirmed by any means, but if it’s true I just want a Smash reboot by a different director. Sakurai is a great director but he is very biased and that annoys me not only as a DK fan, but as a fan of Nintendo in general. I want a reboot simply for the fact to balance the character rosters representation per franchise.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
What's wrong with all of the 3rd parties joining? You all don't like Super Smash Bros M.U.G.E.N!? Nah but for real tho, I am happy with Joker's inclusion as a Persona fan but to be honest if Joker wasn't in I wouldn't have lost any sleep. Meanwhile, Dixie missing in action just bothers me... While Dixie has an extraordinary place in my heart, she wasn't my most cherished character but was the character I wanted to see the most and the one I supported the most because I don't understand how she is not already in.

I hope I don't sound like an old person set in their ways opposed to change but the more I look back at it the I appreciate the masterpiece that is Melee. From a marketing perspective, I can understand what Nintendo is doing with all of the 3rd parties, and I respect it but looking at what Smash has become it's strayed so far away from its original vision. I wanted Tails because Sonic looks weird without his player 2 (like Mario without Luigi) but I respect Sega for giving other IPs a chance to shine. Crash is just my favorite character of all time so I'd be thrilled to see him regardless if he is a 3rd party or not. I understand things evolve and I am delighted and happy with how much work Sakurai and his team put into this game. I'm pretty much done with speculation. It was a great run.

My optimism for Dixie's inclusion has hit an all-time low. The "flavor of DLC" Nintendo seems to be aiming for are things that would create tons of hype and generate news headlines to bring attention and new customers their way. I'll always love Dixie but, I just don't think she can compete with that. In a perfect world, a 1st party shouldn't have to contend with a 3rd party for a slot in a NINTENDO GAME ABOUT "NINTENDO ALL-STARS" DUKING IT OUT, but hey at the end of the day we aren't the judges or creators, we are just the consumers.

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys seen Papagenos last video? This is obviously just a random 4chan poster but some guy predicted Joker. He also said the other characters are Crono from Chrono Trigger, Banjo, Edelgard from Fire Emblem and Sylux from Metroid Prime.

Banjo would be hype, but the rest of the roster is frankly terrible to me. The thought of another Emblem rep is disgusting and it’s gonna really tick me off if Metroid gets three reps this game. I know some of you guys don’t like the sales argument but Metroid and Fire Emblem don’t deserve to have 13 reps between them.

Obviously this hasn’t been confirmed by any means, but if it’s true I just want a Smash reboot by a different director. Sakurai is a great director but he is very biased and that annoys me not only as a DK fan, but as a fan of Nintendo in general. I want a reboot simply for the fact to balance the character rosters representation per franchise.
If Nintendo are the ones picking the DLC characters this time, then it'll mean they're biased too in this case,which would be inescapable. It's something I unfortunately think we're going to have to learn to live with.

I just genuinely don't think he was commenting on new franchises at all. Frankly, he seemed like he was struggling for words as well, so it could've been him just going over the DLC parameters to stall.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend quitting now. If there is a wave 2 of DLC, then you'll want to continue to be vocal all the way to it. When K. Rool was confirmed as a Mii costume, the majority of us continued on as if nothing happened. If you guys were on Nintendo's radar at all, admitting defeat now would be the final nail in Dixie's coffin.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
On one hand, I do like the surprise 3rd parties bring. Joker's reveal was downright the most blindsiding Smash reveal ever. I would even say it was more of a shocker than Snake in Brawl; at least Snake popped up at the end of a Smash trailer. No one had any idea that trailer was for Smash until we saw the logo. Even though I have no attachment to the character, I can't deny that I'm a little excited.

On the other hand, I do wish we could have gotten the remaining few Nintendo characters who really do deserve to get in at this point first and who don't have any other notable role in the game. The only characters who fit under this banner imo are Dixie Kong and Toad. It feels like the floodgates have been opened for pretty much any 3rd party character and 1st parties are getting left in the dust unless they're especially popular or immediately relevant (or Piranha Plant). I know some would say we're at the bottom of the barrel of Nintendo characters, and we arguably kind of are, but so what? This is a celebration of Nintendo...right?

tl;dr I'm conflicted on whether to be excited or upset.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm not upset about it honestly. Yeah it sucks we didn't get Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, or Captain Toad. The last remaining all-stars and probably won't. But I'm trying to look at the bright side. We got King K. Mother****ing Rool in the base game. A character a lot of people loved but seemed Nintendo didn't. We got Ridley! A character deemed "too big" to work and yet here he is. We got Isabelle, Inklings, Chrom, and Incineroar as our "relevant" Nintendo picks. All great choices IMO. Daisy is a cool addition and another Nintendo All-Star. Dark Samus was a cool echo as well. I personally don't think we're at the "bottom of the barrel" with Nintendo characters. All-Stars? Yes but Nintendo characters? No...they are the Walt Disney of videogames they have thousands of cool/quirky characters I could list a ton of Nintendo characters that could've been added like Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Porky Minch, Sylux, Captain Syrup, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Medusa, DJ Octavio, Octolings, Chibi-Robo, Twintelle, King Boo, Black Shadow, King Hippo, Magalor, Rex & Pyra, Paper Mario, Hades, 9-Volt, Chorus Kids, I could go on and on. Yeah a lot of these aren't as well known as Mario or Link, etc. But when we have a roster with Corrin, Shulk, Roy, etc. in it any Nintendo character is possible and I'd argue a lot of the ones I listed aren't as "niche" as you may think.

The problem is the characters I listed above won't make headlines or become trending on twitter for a day like any 3rd party character will because "Isn't it so wacky and cool, Master Chief got added to Smash!? Everybody!" People who would mock Nintendo for being a kids system and Smash being a "childish babies fighting game" are now talking about Smash because a character from a game that never appeared on a Nintendo console beating up on Nintendo characters is "so cool". Then those people MAY go out and buy a Switch, the game, and the DLC, they'll realize that the game probably isn't for them and abandon it after a week selling their Switch in the process. But you know who is loyal to Nintendo? Nintendo fans! Know what Nintendo fans love? Nintendo IP/characters. So all the headlines and twitter talk at the end of the day probably won't make that much of a difference. I doubt their are playstation fans out there right now dropping everything that they are doing to go buy a Switch, a copy of Smash Bros, and the DLC just to play as Cloud, Snake, and Joker. If I'm wrong and Switch sales and Smash sales increase tenfold once the DLC releases I'll eat a bowl full of cockroaches. But somehow I doubt it.

Like I said I'm not upset. I do get to save $25 and spend it towards other parts of Nintendo I enjoy like Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4 (if that game even still exists), Bayonetta 3, Animal Crossing, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc. Not like I need extra content to keep me busy with Ultimate when Nintendo's 2019 Switch line-up is looking stacked to the brim already. Also the fact that the DLC is OPTIONAL helps alleviate the stress/anger. I don't HAVE to buy it and I'm glad I didn't. I would be more upset if Joker and the rest of the 3rd party characters coming were added in the base roster instead of King K., Ridley, Isabelle, and Incineroar instead. While I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for Piranha Plant I gotta say the Plant ain't looking that bad now...lol

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe during the Brawl era I would have been mad about all the third parties but there's no pushing back against them now. They offer a different flavor in Smash and I appreciate that. I'm looking forward to seeing how Joker is implemented. Dixie and Bandana Dee are the only Nintendo characters I feel are really missing out on the fun, but you can't win them all. All I can ask for at this point is Banjo makes it on the Fighter Pass.

I guess if you weren't a K. Rool/Ridley supporter for this game, there's a good chance you got left in the dust. I got my anger out in the Smash 4 era. Now I'm just zen about it.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I made a tweet about it. I think I did an OK job responding to the development. Guys, don't stop making fanart and other stuff for Dix! There will be other video games.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I made a tweet about it. I think I did an OK job responding to the development. Guys, don't stop making fanart and other stuff for Dix! There will be other video games.
Can you put my fanart of Dixie looking tough from the OP? It's my only entry in the fanart section

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Can you put my fanart of Dixie looking tough from the OP? It's my only entry in the fanart section
Already did it a little while ago.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not upset about it honestly. Yeah it sucks we didn't get Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, or Captain Toad. The last remaining all-stars and probably won't. But I'm trying to look at the bright side. We got King K. Mother****ing Rool in the base game. A character a lot of people loved but seemed Nintendo didn't. We got Ridley! A character deemed "too big" to work and yet here he is. We got Isabelle, Inklings, Chrom, and Incineroar as our "relevant" Nintendo picks. All great choices IMO. Daisy is a cool addition and another Nintendo All-Star. Dark Samus was a cool echo as well. I personally don't think we're at the "bottom of the barrel" with Nintendo characters. All-Stars? Yes but Nintendo characters? No...they are the Walt Disney of videogames they have thousands of cool/quirky characters I could list a ton of Nintendo characters that could've been added like Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Porky Minch, Sylux, Captain Syrup, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Medusa, DJ Octavio, Octolings, Chibi-Robo, Twintelle, King Boo, Black Shadow, King Hippo, Magalor, Rex & Pyra, Paper Mario, Hades, 9-Volt, Chorus Kids, I could go on and on. Yeah a lot of these aren't as well known as Mario or Link, etc. But when we have a roster with Corrin, Shulk, Roy, etc. in it any Nintendo character is possible and I'd argue a lot of the ones I listed aren't as "niche" as you may think.

The problem is the characters I listed above won't make headlines or become trending on twitter for a day like any 3rd party character will because "Isn't it so wacky and cool, Master Chief got added to Smash!? Everybody!" People who would mock Nintendo for being a kids system and Smash being a "childish babies fighting game" are now talking about Smash because a character from a game that never appeared on a Nintendo console beating up on Nintendo characters is "so cool". Then those people MAY go out and buy a Switch, the game, and the DLC, they'll realize that the game probably isn't for them and abandon it after a week selling their Switch in the process. But you know who is loyal to Nintendo? Nintendo fans! Know what Nintendo fans love? Nintendo IP/characters. So all the headlines and twitter talk at the end of the day probably won't make that much of a difference. I doubt their are playstation fans out there right now dropping everything that they are doing to go buy a Switch, a copy of Smash Bros, and the DLC just to play as Cloud, Snake, and Joker. If I'm wrong and Switch sales and Smash sales increase tenfold once the DLC releases I'll eat a bowl full of cockroaches. But somehow I doubt it.

Like I said I'm not upset. I do get to save $25 and spend it towards other parts of Nintendo I enjoy like Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4 (if that game even still exists), Bayonetta 3, Animal Crossing, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc. Not like I need extra content to keep me busy with Ultimate when Nintendo's 2019 Switch line-up is looking stacked to the brim already. Also the fact that the DLC is OPTIONAL helps alleviate the stress/anger. I don't HAVE to buy it and I'm glad I didn't. I would be more upset if Joker and the rest of the 3rd party characters coming were added in the base roster instead of King K., Ridley, Isabelle, and Incineroar instead. While I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for Piranha Plant I gotta say the Plant ain't looking that bad now...lol
The thing is, this assumes Nintendo fans don’t also play other consoles. Anyone who knows me knows I’m a lifelong Nintendo fan and I was a diehard K. Rool supporter. But Final Fantasy VII is also one of my all time favorite games and upon seeing Cloud I didn’t think “why aren’t you K. Rool?” I thought “holy crap it’s Cloud!” It was one of the most exciting video game announcements in recent history for me...only eclipsed by the big croc himself.

I’m not saying you have to like or buy the DLC, but I think you’re projecting a bit. There are tons of Nintendo fans who also own other systems and play games like the Persona series, myself included. I’m sure Nintendo realizes that too and wants to capitalize on being the hub of cross system hype.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Are you serious about keeping the third parties "locked" in Ultimate and never using them? That's 8+ characters, feels weird to purposely not unlock them in a game you own. You can't possibly hate all the third parties.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Are you serious about keeping the third parties "locked" in Ultimate and never using them? That's 8+ characters, feels weird to purposely not unlock them in a game you own. You can't possibly hate all the third parties.
The thing is I don't hate the 3rd party characters as characters. I just don't like them in Smash. I never will. Simple as that. Why unlock them when I will never use them. The only reason I bought Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta on Wii U was because my friends wanted to use them and they didn't own Wii U's (because why would they). Now all my friends own a Switch and own their own copies of Smash so their is no reason for me to unlock those characters or buy the DLC. Not even 3rd parties I'm not touching. I haven't even touched World of Light and don't think I will. Spirits never seemed fun to me once they got revealed and I had a feeling World of Light was probably gonna be an overly long drawn out slog and based on reviews I was right. Not to mention the lack of any cutscenes/character interaction really hurt my motivation to even try the mode. My point is just because I ignore parts of the game doesn't mean I hate the game or anything. The game is still a 9.5/10 and honestly I don't feel me skipping over 3rd parties, DLC, or WOL hurts my enjoyment of the game at all. If you like the 3rd parties I'm not knocking you and you are free to enjoy them but to me "eh".

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'm finding World of Light to be pretty fun. It's not incredible or anything, but I think it's the best single player "adventure" mode the series has ever had (I didn't like Subspace at all). It's a really cool way to include other characters and some of the ideas they come up with for the battles are hilarious and pretty creative.

I mean seeing a long forgotten Donkey Kong character like Ellie the Elephant effectively be an event match in this game is awesome.

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
For anyone looking for the Dixie Kong Mii Hat, its in Spirits jungle on the far left of the screen in a red treasure chest. For once i may actually play as a Mii fighter so that I can get the closest thing to the real deal.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm here merely waiting all the DLC to show up before getting the Pass, but IDK if I'm gonna be too interested on getting it, even if it'd mean completing the roster. Much like I said a while back, Ultimate's gonna feel tad odd to me now due just how many characters there are, but none I feel "click" with me as the very personal kind of characters from my time as a gamer so far - most, if not all, are currently NPCs or other forms of deconfirmed in Ultimate and Smash-series at large.

It's kind of why I hoped Dixie was in Ultimate, especially after all that's gone down and will keep on going in the future - she'd at least been something I could relate to enjoying the game with other fans enjoying K.Rool, Simon, Isabelle and much more as of now. But all I can say I have now is Diddy Kong and Peach, but I haven't played those characters for a while (perhaps due loss of interest on them over time). Peach also is way back from Melee, where I was already pretty young by then, and so was Diddy when I hit 12-year old age. I guess tastes were going change over time since, or at least me finding something to go after during that period.

I remember vividly how I first wanted to see the series at least have sensible choices of characters picking from the series (like, Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, etc) especially after what Brawl set precedent to- and I guess so far, it's gone kind of half-way by now as of Ultimate with the Big Villain Duo, but things have just gone too far to even expect that anymore. So now I just wish I could have something to even enjoy Smash in same level as fans of those who received their most wanted, now and then out of the blue (Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker), or after a long-running crusade of strong fan demand. But I'm starting to be absolutely certain that day will never, ever come. I've become steeled to such an outcome over these years though, but it makes me wonder what to feel about playing Ultimate out of genuine personal enjoyment, or at least, hopping to it with something from my personal liking to talk about and enjoy it with, compared to Smash-fangames that let me already pick characters I never would be able to see be playable in Smash that I really feel ton of connection to. (Klonoa + Toad + Tails in Crusade & Wario, Tails and Lloyd Irving in Smash Flash 2.).

Now the thing I could give benefit of the doubt is that DLC's still on-going thing, with just 1st one shown first time everybody - and anything could happen with it, unless 3rd Parties is solely the only factor within. But again, I believe Dixie might not be a hype-setting character - though I'd love if that'd thus be even funner reality to witness on people seeing her and be like "whoaa--t" after all more crazier choices of characters.

For now, IDK entirely what to add on to this discussion, though I'm genuinely believing I'm probably part of the super-niche group not being super-"into" Smash Bros-gamess these days due what all has gone down by now. But I sometimes wonder, could I be able to enjoy this series more than I am right now? I keep feeling "yes", but I wonder if it's due the mass mentality that I'm super-entitled and not able to see the big picture of what all great stuff I've received that I've taken for granted because it's not something specific I wanted. On the other hand though, I do kind of enjoy what I have, but it feels middling ground to me at best. Like, serviceable, but over time I'd feel out of the groups that can talk about all the amazing stuff Smash had offered to them, while I sorta say like "I guess I got Richter... even if I just played his game for two stages about other priorities in 2015...",)

I deeply hope something's could happen in the future for me to come back later - until then, I might become more a lurker on this thread of sorts as I've been for past month now.

Here's hoping we die strong and dying in this Lost World of DLC until then.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't.. see Dixie getting in anymore. Speculation has really ended at an usual turn this Smash.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Already did it a little while ago.
I'm more out of touch than I thought. Thanks!
I’m not saying you have to like or buy the DLC, but I think you’re projecting a bit. There are tons of Nintendo fans who also own other systems and play games like the Persona series, myself included. I’m sure Nintendo realizes that too and wants to capitalize on being the hub of cross system hype.
I highly agree. I have no idea who Joker is so his announcement means nothing to me, but I'm not upset about him either. I hop around from system to system so I have no beef with non-Nintendo IPs in the slightest; I actually welcome them and hope some of my all-time favorites make the cut some day.

Personally I'm hoping the DLC doesn't tend to be mostly anime-esque characters. Joker's in that category for sure, but as long as the other 4 have a varied aesthetic to them and look dare I say...out-of-place among each other I'm fine. One that's "realistic" one that's "cartoony" another that's "anime-esque" etc.

ChronoBound ChronoBound I don't get to respond to you as often as I'd like but I want you to know I do enjoy reading your insightful posts, and I'm seriously looking forward to your essay. The appreciation you have for Dixie is profound.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

12K votes and Tropical Freeze is winning. That's the kind of stuff we need to see. A strong DK brand will help Dixie and all the DK characters get a new game, which will keep them all "relevant" and particularly Dixie primed for a Smash inclusion.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I'm here merely waiting all the DLC to show up before getting the Pass, but IDK if I'm gonna be too interested on getting it, even if it'd mean completing the roster. Much like I said a while back, Ultimate's gonna feel tad odd to me now due just how many characters there are, but none I feel "click" with me as the very personal kind of characters from my time as a gamer so far - most, if not all, are currently NPCs or other forms of deconfirmed in Ultimate and Smash-series at large.

It's kind of why I hoped Dixie was in Ultimate, especially after all that's gone down and will keep on going in the future - she'd at least been something I could relate to enjoying the game with other fans enjoying K.Rool, Simon, Isabelle and much more as of now. But all I can say I have now is Diddy Kong and Peach, but I haven't played those characters for a while (perhaps due loss of interest on them over time). Peach also is way back from Melee, where I was already pretty young by then, and so was Diddy when I hit 12-year old age. I guess tastes were going change over time since, or at least me finding something to go after during that period.

I remember vividly how I first wanted to see the series at least have sensible choices of characters picking from the series (like, Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, etc) especially after what Brawl set precedent to- and I guess so far, it's gone kind of half-way by now as of Ultimate with the Big Villain Duo, but things have just gone too far to even expect that anymore. So now I just wish I could have something to even enjoy Smash in same level as fans of those who received their most wanted, now and then out of the blue (Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker), or after a long-running crusade of strong fan demand. But I'm starting to be absolutely certain that day will never, ever come. I've become steeled to such an outcome over these years though, but it makes me wonder what to feel about playing Ultimate out of genuine personal enjoyment, or at least, hopping to it with something from my personal liking to talk about and enjoy it with, compared to Smash-fangames that let me already pick characters I never would be able to see be playable in Smash that I really feel ton of connection to. (Klonoa + Toad + Tails in Crusade & Wario, Tails and Lloyd Irving in Smash Flash 2.).

Now the thing I could give benefit of the doubt is that DLC's still on-going thing, with just 1st one shown first time everybody - and anything could happen with it, unless 3rd Parties is solely the only factor within. But again, I believe Dixie might not be a hype-setting character - though I'd love if that'd thus be even funner reality to witness on people seeing her and be like "whoaa--t" after all more crazier choices of characters.

For now, IDK entirely what to add on to this discussion, though I'm genuinely believing I'm probably part of the super-niche group not being super-"into" Smash Bros-gamess these days due what all has gone down by now. But I sometimes wonder, could I be able to enjoy this series more than I am right now? I keep feeling "yes", but I wonder if it's due the mass mentality that I'm super-entitled and not able to see the big picture of what all great stuff I've received that I've taken for granted because it's not something specific I wanted. On the other hand though, I do kind of enjoy what I have, but it feels middling ground to me at best. Like, serviceable, but over time I'd feel out of the groups that can talk about all the amazing stuff Smash had offered to them, while I sorta say like "I guess I got Richter... even if I just played his game for two stages about other priorities in 2015...",)

I deeply hope something's could happen in the future for me to come back later - until then, I might become more a lurker on this thread of sorts as I've been for past month now.

Here's hoping we die strong and dying in this Lost World of DLC until then.

If you're looking for characters to identify with, perhaps try some new games that feature characters in Smash.

I think the best chance Dixie has of making it in as DLC is as echo after the Fighter Pass. You all just need to keep up the support till then. If Nintendo sees an unwavering passionate fanbase behind one of their characters, they're sure to take notice, and Dixie may at least make it to Smash 6.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I just wanted to say it's been a pleasure speculating with a lot of you but since all the DLC will be 3rd parties I've lost any/all motivation to stick around here. I'm logging off of this site forever. It's been a fun, emotional, joyful, suspenseful ride. I'll still be following the Dixie twitter but for now I'm calling my retirement. Happy Smashing everyone!

StormC

Smash Hero
World Of Light is pretty great. I haven't played it too much but I'm having fun with it and I like how huge it is. I just finished unlocking everyone last night so I'll be diving right into it. I'm just happy to have single player content again after Smash 4.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I just wanted to say it's been a pleasure speculating with a lot of you but since all the DLC will be 3rd parties I've lost any/all motivation to stick around here. I'm logging off of this site forever. It's been a fun, emotional, joyful, suspenseful ride. I'll still be following the Dixie twitter but for now I'm calling my retirement. Happy Smashing everyone!
They never said the DLC would be all 3rd parties.
People assumed that too after Ryu and Cloud were unveiled for Smash 4 that all the newcomers would be 3rd party, but somehow they were still able to sneak Corrin in there. I hope Dixie shares that fate.

Honestly this is the exact same attitude Roy followers had after Robin and Lucina were added, Marth was revealed to have two Roy colored alts and Roy Koopa was revealed. He was "doomed" to never return, had absolutely zero chance, and was written off as dead because Lucas and Wolf took priority. Look where we are now. I'm not saying Dixie's a lock, far from it, but she's certainly not doomed either.

I honestly wonder if everyone would still be saying this if a more "requested" 3rd party character like Banjo or Geno had been unveiled first instead.
As someone with both avid interest in both Persona and DKC (a rare combination, from what I've seen), please stop sh*tting on Joker, obviously not all of you, just certain individuals on this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom