• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly though, i don't anticipate a second wave of dlc. i feel like this might be all we get

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Part of me does miss the Melee days, when we only expected Nintendo characters and that was that. As extremely exciting as I've found literally every third-party pick in Smash (Cloud and now Joker especially), part of me would still trade it away for an increased emphasis on Nintendo's backlog of great characters.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Persona was on 3DS you know...
Not Persona 5. I honestly don’t know anything about Persona and don’t care to, but isn’t Joker only in Persona 5? If that’s the case then it’s a PS exclusive character.

It’s good for people who like Persona but this DLC isn’t for me at all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He said characters that are new to the series. Not characters will be from new franchises to the series.
That still basically kills every character that’s a Spirit or has ever made any appearance in Smash.

Not Persona 5. I honestly don’t know anything about Persona and don’t care to, but isn’t Joker only in Persona 5? If that’s the case then it’s a PS exclusive character.

It’s good for people who like Persona but this DLC isn’t for me at all.
There’s a Persona 5 spin-off on 3DS.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yup I think its over for Dixie and we probably have the confirmation that spirits DO deconfirmed

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I left to to go pick up my copy of smash and caught the trailer getting streamed. I didn't hear Reggie say that but at least the band aid has been ripped off finally.
I am glad it is done with too. I guess this month will be my last with the speculation scene afterall. However, before I go, I would like to give a parting gift to the Dixie Kong fanbase. I want to write a comprehensive essay about why she deserves to be in Smash Bros. and why she is such an endearing character in general. I have no idea when I will finish it though. Maybe in February, maybe later.

I am thankful I at least know this very soon. I expect the other DLC fighters to be Dragon Quest hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Dante, and maybe Ryu Hayabusa. I think Banjo will be the only one that will personally interest me.

Dixie Kong might have been ruled out for this round, but take heart. She is a gift to the future to fight for.

If Banjo-Kazooie is added in for DLC, then Rare and DK fans should focus their attention that this legend finally gets her due.

I am going to be in my mid-to-late 30's by the time the next Smash Bros. game happens. This was pretty much my last rodeo for speculation. I am going to retire from speculation now after this year. I might just post from time to time until DLC wraps up, but otherwise I am done as a major speculator and participant in the community. I have been doing speculation for 17 years, so I think I have been around for long enough. I might pop in the smaller support topics (like this one) until DLC wraps up.

DLC is going to be third-party focused and I pretty much got my Top 3 favorite third-party franchises repped in Smash Bros. now (Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania) so I have little reason to personally look forward to it aside from possibly getting Banjo-Kazooie (whose stock went way up now).

It still might be possible for Dixie Kong to be DLC (especially if there is a second season for DLC), but I am personally not expecting it.

I am grateful to the Dixie Kong fanbase for having a pleasant place actually support a character I cherish and not just an environment ruled by fanboy legions and bandwagoners. Even if Dixie Kong never makes it into Smash Bros., she will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the Nintendo characters that made me a fan of Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Playing DKC2 and DKC3 were among my fondest memories of my childhood, and my Dixie Kong figurine was among my most cherished childhood toys.

I have no idea what the future holds. We saw it with every veteran ever returning. We saw it with Ridley being confirmed despite Sakurai saying he was too big just four years earlier. And we even saw it tonight with Joker (a character from a RPG series with barely a presence on Nintendo consoles) being confirmed.

As I said before, I got nearly everything I wanted with Ultimate. However, in life, you simply do not get everything you wanted. Ridley was a miracle. Every veteran returning one more time was a miracle. Castlevania being added (which barely anyone of core asked for) was a miracle. I have been spoiled rotten by Ultimate.

As I am writing this, I am looking at my World of Nintendo Dixie Kong figurine. She is not in Smash Bros., yet she is standing alongside all the other Smash Bros. Amiibos I collected. Ridley will soon join her and the others. Sure she is is not a fighter in Smash Bros. like they are, but just like every Amiibo I collected they are all gaming characters that are important to my heart in some way, and Dixie has a place alongside them, roster status or not. She might never be added to the roster in Smash Bros., but she is still one of my favorite gaming characters, and for that she deserves her place on my shelf alongside the members of the Smash Bros. cast that I have bought. It is for this reason (among many), I must still say...

Dixie Kong For Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I am glad it is done with too. I guess this month will be my last with the speculation scene afterall. However, before I go, I would like to give a parting gift to the Dixie Kong fanbase. I want to write a comprehensive essay about why she deserves to be in Smash Bros. and why she is such an endearing character in general. I have no idea when I will finish it though. Maybe in February, maybe later.

I am thankful I at least know this very soon. I expect the other DLC fighters to be Dragon Quest hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Dante, and maybe Ryu Hayabusa. I think Banjo will be the only one that will personally interest me.

Dixie Kong might have been ruled out for this round, but take heart. She is a gift to the future to fight for.

If Banjo-Kazooie is added in for DLC, then Rare and DK fans should focus their attention that this legend finally gets her due.

I am going to be in my mid-to-late 30's by the time the next Smash Bros. game happens. This was pretty much my last rodeo for speculation. I am going to retire from speculation now after this year. I might just post from time to time until DLC wraps up, but otherwise I am done as a major speculator and participant in the community. I have been doing speculation for 17 years, so I think I have been around for long enough. I might pop in the smaller support topics (like this one) until DLC wraps up.

DLC is going to be third-party focused and I pretty much got my Top 3 favorite third-party franchises repped in Smash Bros. now (Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania) so I have little reason to personally look forward to it aside from possibly getting Banjo-Kazooie (whose stock went way up now).

It still might be possible for Dixie Kong to be DLC (especially if there is a second season for DLC), but I am personally not expecting it.

I am grateful to the Dixie Kong fanbase for having a pleasant place actually support a character I cherish and not just an environment ruled by fanboy legions and bandwagoners. Even if Dixie Kong never makes it into Smash Bros., she will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the Nintendo characters that made me a fan of Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Playing DKC2 and DKC3 were among my fondest memories of my childhood, and my Dixie Kong figurine was among my most cherished childhood toys.

I have no idea what the future holds. We saw it with every veteran ever returning. We saw it with Ridley being confirmed despite Sakurai saying he was too big just four years earlier. And we even saw it tonight with Joker (a character from a RPG series with barely a presence on Nintendo consoles) being confirmed.

As I said before, I got nearly everything I wanted with Ultimate. However, in life, you simply do not get everything you wanted. Ridley was a miracle. Every veteran returning one more time was a miracle. Castlevania being added (which barely anyone of core asked for) was a miracle. I have been spoiled rotten by Ultimate.

As I am writing this, I am looking at my World of Nintendo Dixie Kong figurine. She is not in Smash Bros., yet she is standing alongside all the other Smash Bros. Amiibos I collected. Ridley will soon join her and the others. Sure she is is not a fighter in Smash Bros. like they are, but just like every Amiibo I collected they are all gaming characters that are important to my heart in some way, and Dixie has a place alongside them, roster status or not. She might never be added to the roster in Smash Bros., but she is still one of my favorite gaming characters, and for that she deserves her place on my shelf alongside the members of the Smash Bros. cast that I have bought. It is for this reason (among many), I must still say...

Dixie Kong For Smash Bros.
I'm looking forward to this final gift. I love your essays and we, the Dixie Kong community, will cherish your Dixie essay when you get around to it.

Let's hope that, come February, it may not be needed anymore, or if after February Dixe does get confirmed, then we can all leave on a high note.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Make a Dixie Mii Brawler and then equip a Dixie spirit. There, you're literally playing as Dixie!

In all seriousness though, I too am really glad Reggie came out and told us just what to expect this time around, that it's going to be just like Smash 4's DLC. I feel stupid for having already purchased the fighter pass, haha.

I'm not exactly sure how to address this with the Twitter, but I'll figure something out I guess. I just gotta make sure to not come off as bitter or entitled.

ChronoBound ChronoBound , your words have touched me. I look forward to it.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Since Nintendo’s focusing on third-party characters and it seems that Spirits also deconfirm characters l gotta say that I’m disappointed. I used to be on the fence with third party characters and now I can definitely say that I’m opposed to third-party characters in Smash.

Sonic the Hedgehog was a great addition in Brawl, but Snake opened the floodgates. Cloud even more so. It’s undeniable now that third-parties steal first party character slots. Now we’re gonna get a bunch of characters, stages and songs from franchises I don’t care about. I think Smash got too big for its own good.

Last edited:

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
I mostly play Nintendo first party IPs and think Smash should primarily focus on Nintendo first party IPs, *AND* on top of that JRPGs are the one genre of games that I personally just don't play at all (no offense to fans, it's just not my thing). And Dixie has been my most wanted newcomer since the pre-Brawl days.

So....yeah. Not loving this news. I'm trying to just stay quiet in most places online because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's just so, so frustrating. All I've really wanted is Dixie for over 10 years now, it seems to be SUCH an obvious thing to me, and they just...won't...add her :'(

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
I feel that DK is gaining once again minimal amount of content. No new stage, no new tropical freeze music, only 1 AT after so many years...
I'm happy that we got K.Rool back and few new music tracks but i still hoped for a little more. DK series deserves more than what we have now in smash.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think if K. Rool didn’t do so well on the ballot that we’d get any DK characters at all or was Dixie’s spot stolen by K. Rool? It feels to me that they give K. Rool in particular the most attention of any newcomer, but I do agree the lack of DK content outside of K. Rool is still disgusting. We also lost two stages, albeit Rumble Falls is terrible.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Lol, no, I don't really think the Smash team cares about that kind of thing. If they wanted to add Dixie AND K Rool, they'd do it--last game we got three new Fire Emblem characters and two new Mario characters. We are very, very lucky that Sakurai took notice of K Rool's popularity, for I can easily imagine a bleak alternate reality without him in Smash Ultimate where we still only have DK and Diddy and crappy Island Swing remixes.

By the way, has anyone managed to unlock the Dixie hat yet? I'd love to see it in action.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Do you guys think if K. Rool didn’t do so well on the ballot that we’d get any DK characters at all or was Dixie’s spot stolen by K. Rool? It feels to me that they give K. Rool in particular the most attention of any newcomer, but I do agree the lack of DK content outside of K. Rool is still disgusting. We also lost two stages, albeit Rumble Falls is terrible.
I'd wager we'd have gotten neither. Aside from a single port, nothing significant has happened with the DK franchise between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

On one hand, I want to say Reggie's statements on the DLC, while likely true to an extent, were also probably PR speak. Obviously you want to surprise people and get them excited. On the other hand, I don't want to get any hopes up. Frankly, I just don't think Dixie is getting in, even if we do get 1st party DLC.

Sigh...In an alternate universe somewhere Sakurai managed to implement Diddy & Dixie together in Brawl. It got cut in Smash 4 (maybe one or both returned alone, maybe not), but brought back for Ultimate, and none of us would be here. I'd love to see what that would be like.

StormC

Smash Hero
I like the Persona series so I'm fine with this announcement, and I did kinda expect a third party focus, especially after the Smash 4 DLC.

Just gonna wait to see what happens to Banjo. Still feeling good about his chances. I assume Nintendo characters will have to wait for Smash 6.

I'd wager we'd have gotten neither. Aside from a single port, nothing significant has happened with the DK franchise between Smash 4 and Ultimate.

On one hand, I want to say Reggie's statements on the DLC, while likely true to an extent, were also probably PR speak. Obviously you want to surprise people and get them excited. On the other hand, I don't want to get any hopes up. Frankly, I just don't think Dixie is getting in, even if we do get 1st party DLC.

Sigh...In an alternate universe somewhere Sakurai managed to implement Diddy & Dixie together in Brawl. It got cut in Smash 4 (maybe one or both returned alone, maybe not), but brought back for Ultimate, and none of us would be here. I'd love to see what that would be like.
I mean, I'd rather take Diddy and no Dixie than Diddy and Dixie mashed together in a single moveset, especially if it meant one had to be cut later.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I am going to be in my mid-to-late 30's by the time the next Smash Bros. game happens. This was pretty much my last rodeo for speculation. I am going to retire from speculation now after this year.
How many time i see that in smash 4 speculation...my friend! You will come back speculate about newcomer in 7 - 8 years don't worry! :)

For Dixie...Reggie's quote deconfirm her im pretty sure...now its sad ( and i dont think we will get some) that i want free character or echo to promote some game when buying or anyrthing like that... lets just hope we will get season 2. If Nintendo make a lot of money ( we know they would) we can maybe expect a wave 2. Dataminer find in the game that they added 30 empty slot..still possible!

yep K.Rool steal the show cause many of us ( including me) forget Dixie and vote K.ROOL in the ballot
and you know what? still prefer the inclusion of K.Rool than Dixie...but now that K.Rool is in the game.. i want Dixie more than everyone ( need Rayman but spirit deconfirm character i guess.. now? )

and the only thing i miss from past game is that dkc return stage...was so beautiful in final destination form :(

Last edited:

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
Yea not gonna lie a character I've never heard of from a game I've never played doesn't really bring the hype for me.

Kind of glad I didn't buy the fighter pass

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Now that the emotions are back to normal...

Honestly I learned one thing. There is not a single rule. Speculation is useless at this point. Everyone can be here third or first party. Yes Reggie talked about "unexpected" but he is a guys who makes marketing. Of course he will not come and say "oh you know all the DLC are going to suck so you better not be hype".

Everything is unexpected cause there is no rules. Remember after Ridley and K Rool everyone expected popular newcomers like Isaac and we got Incineroar and Isabelle. So now after Joker its useless to say that the DLC are all going to be third party.

The "leakers" don't know anything about DLC

Right now I'm tired of speculation. Its useless and unproductive

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Damn... things kind of crashed down here while I was gone playing, didn't it...

I personally expected DLC to go on this sort of a route, but it looks like it's even more rock-solid deconfirmation to 1st Parties in Ultimate in some form until further notice.

I guess it seems to confirm what I feared about Spirits and NPC'd characters being already deconfirmations on their own end, even if that got constantly argued against due the whole "Mewtwo & Lucas got promoted in 4 from Trophies" + the background NPCs of Fighters being in 4 as well (like Toon Link in Spirit Train)

For as I feel about now with Joker, especially not having played Persona-games before + Sony-exclusive before apparently... I don't think Smash-series will ever exactly back to the ways where it'd make sense to see many wanted (currently deconfirmed) "sensible" 1st Party characters - though that's a small loss over what Ultimate's done by now, and where it can go next with it, to be honest. On that end, I can at least play around with some sum of goodies on Ultimate, and then move on to new later.

I guess it's time to hike back to Northern Kremisphere, and look wistfully to the landscapes of northern forests and lakes beneath the snowy mountains... And wonder what could have been, but just be happy maybe some places never will change. I guess it'll be my place now of sorts from here on out.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Oh no

"Will be characters from games new to the series"

Is that the final nail in the coffin for us?
As far as I know, Dixie Kong has never been playable in the series before, so she would be considered "new".
They said that right after "Everyone is here" and after the DLC announcements that all character reveals would be newcomers.
They even referred to Mewtwo as a "new playable character" after he was first announced for Smash 4 DLC.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know, Dixie Kong has never been playable in the series before, so she would be considered "new".
They said that right after "Everyone is here" and after the DLC announcements that all character reveals would be newcomers.
They even referred to Mewtwo as a "new playable character" after he was first announced for Smash 4 DLC.
I think it's because it says characters from games new to Smash that has everybody thinking it will be all 3rd party. I mean I guess if we get technical, Tropical Freeze (besides some music) and DKC3 have never been represented before in Smash. But then you have to also think about spirits, trophies, etc and if that counts as representation too.

So I dont have much hope for Dixie at this point. Maybe there will be a second fighter pass, but who knows. I just thought there would be some fan demand characters included, but I guess if they are they will be 3rd party ones. I just can't get all that excited for 3rd party characters unless it's Rayman or Geno.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think it's because it says characters from games new to Smash that has everybody thinking it will be all 3rd party. I mean I guess if we get technical, Tropical Freeze (besides some music) and DKC3 have never been represented before in Smash. But then you have to also think about spirits, trophies, etc and if that counts as representation too.

So I dont have much hope for Dixie at this point. Maybe there will be a second fighter pass, but who knows. I just thought there would be some fan demand characters included, but I guess if they are they will be 3rd party ones. I just can't get all that excited for 3rd party characters unless it's Rayman or Geno.
He didn't say characters from games new to Smash, the picture is a misquote. He said characters that are new to Smash.
Mewtwo was thought to be instantly deconfirmed when Greninja was first revealed in Smash 4, and even more so when Dr. Mario was confirmed to return. Roy was thought to be impossible because of Mewtwo and Dr. Mario returning, Robin and Lucina being added, and Marth having two Roy alts. We thought the rest of the DLC in Smash 4 would be 3rd party after Ryu and Cloud were revealed, and then we got Corrin. If there's one thing I've learned in Smash DLC, is that it's not over t'ill it's over.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That sucks. I hope she gets in the next game.
I'm glad shew as acknowledged with the mii hat. I hope that's a good sign for the future.

I made a Dixie mii but I noticed that you have to unlock the Dixie mii hat.

The unlockable thing is grinding my gears.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Oh no

"Will be characters from games new to the series"

Is that the final nail in the coffin for us?
It would be if that's what he actually said. That could be a quote I haven't heard yet, but if it's referring to his conversation with Geoff Keighley right after the Joker trailer, then that is an infactual interpretation.

What Reggie said was that all of the DLC characters would be new, in reference to the fact that everyone who has ever been in is already back, so veterans can't be DLC. Dixie is not deconfirmed in any way and every character has a Spirit that's artwork from one of their games, so 2 spirits per character. We have no definite reason to believe anything has changed.

Edit: Someone should change the title to something less disconcerting now that this has been cleared up. I don't think Dixie is likely, but she still has a chance.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Everywhere I go people are misquoting that Reggie said the characters would be from series new to Smash. Was no one actually watching it?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Everywhere I go people are misquoting that Reggie said the characters would be from series new to Smash. Was no one actually watching it?
Well, if there's anything that's always been a given about this fanbase for literally every game since Brawl, it's that everyone loves jumping to conclusions and doomsday drama.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I even wrote down the exact thing he said and people are still panicking:

Starting at 3:07

"So this gives you a flavor of how we're approaching the DLC. So the DLC, there's going to be five characters, each character will come with a stage, it'll come with a collection of music, these are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5, characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. We're super excited about this, the fans can go and they could get the Fighter's Pass to get all of the five fighters that'll be coming to the series. We're tremendously excited."

Literally nothing about this says that the DLC is only from completely new series, or that they'll only be third-party characters. So on that front I want to make that clear.

The only thing that hurts Dixie, and this is admittedly big, is the part where Reggie said "...that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate." Dixie is wanted and somewhat expected cuz she's the last big, wanted DK character, and I wouldn't say she's "newsworthy" either as much as I like her.

I'm excited about who's next because I love Persona 5 and Joker, but yeah...this does admittedly feel like they ripped the band-aid off on any hopes for Dixie...

Edit: I'll still hope for her anyway. She still isn't given a hard deconfirm for DLC.
I expressed my doubts but NOTHING has been hard deconfirmed for Dixie.

Top Bottom