• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yeah, it would be weird to not have all of them. I don't really think they should be playable at all, cramming seven characters into a slot is dumb enough, but also cramming them in with a character outside their group? I really don't like it. I don't have a problem with the Koopalings (I sorta like some of them, like Ludwig), it's just that this is too much.

If they are indeed his alts, I hope Jr. at least has actual alt colors and not just the Koopalings. The main focus of the slot should get more attention than the extras.
I will say, having the koopalings is a big deal though. You saw how Nintendo kept advertising them in Mario Kart 8.

And, I think either way, Bowser Jr will be the main focus. I doubt the Koopalings are getting Amiibos for example. Bowser Jr has a picture in the roster and not the Koopalings. If he gets a trailer, it will probably primarily focus on Bowser Jr.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Congratulations guys. I'll probably use Bowser Jr (or Ludwig if the leak is true) as a secondary, he looks fun <3

If there's a supporter list, put me on it.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
All the "congrats" and discussion is really awesome to see on this thread. I'm so happy. :colorful:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I don't care about Junior, however I'm super happy for you guys and he looks WAY cooler than I ever expected him to!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I meant to post here earlier but I forgot to actually post when I came here.

Just wanna say, to those who were calmly and genuinely saddened before when they thought Bowser Jr. was out of the question for this game, congratulations! He's not my favourite character ever but I do have a soft spot for him and never really was against the idea of him. So I'm really happy to know some of you guys got your wish. With Rosalina and Bowser Jr, I truly think the Mario representation in Smash is complete. We seriously don't NEED anyone else (though I could still think of others I would like for Smash 5, haha).

I also really like how he's been implemented. He doesn't seem terribly unique functionally (so far), but his animations are really fun and quirky. Seems like a solid addition.

And to those Bowser Jr. fans who were more obnoxious and unruly and were ticked off over Rosalina's inclusion - ye can finally shut up about how Rosalina "stole his spot". ¬_¬

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is probably a koopling support thread somewhere out there that can get it's own confirmation joys if the costumes are true

Only problem I have with the costumes is my favorite koopaling, Lemmy, is kind of boring without his gimmick

I found that out in Mario Kart 8

Luminario

Smash Lord
Yeah, it would be weird to not have all of them. I don't really think they should be playable at all, cramming seven characters into a slot is dumb enough, but also cramming them in with a character outside their group? I really don't like it. I don't have a problem with the Koopalings (I sorta like some of them, like Ludwig), it's just that this is too much.

If they are indeed his alts, I hope Jr. at least has actual alt colors and not just the Koopalings. The main focus of the slot should get more attention than the extras.
But ever since the newer Super Mario Bros games Bowser Jr has been shown to be the leader of the Koopalings. therefore it would make sense that he would be the default character in the Clown Car with the Koopalings being alts so Jr would still be getting the most attention but the others would be thrown in as extras (I for one would play as Wendy a lot more than if Jr was available on his own)

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Oh and Bowser Jr. should definitely be added to Mario Kart 8 as DLC. I don't have MK8 yet but I was very disappointed to find out he wasn't included. :/

Being in Smash though is 100000% better.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Whoever gets post #900 gets bragging rights. ewe

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Well I've accumulated over 40 posts on this thread finally. Yay I'm responsible for a page haha.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I meant to post here earlier but I forgot to actually post when I came here.

Just wanna say, to those who were calmly and genuinely saddened before when they thought Bowser Jr. was out of the question for this game, congratulations! He's not my favourite character ever but I do have a soft spot for him and never really was against the idea of him. So I'm really happy to know some of you guys got your wish. With Rosalina and Bowser Jr, I truly think the Mario representation in Smash is complete. We seriously don't NEED anyone else (though I could still think of others I would like for Smash 5, haha).

I also really like how he's been implemented. He doesn't seem terribly unique functionally (so far), but his animations are really fun and quirky. Seems like a solid addition.

And to those Bowser Jr. fans who were more obnoxious and unruly and were ticked off over Rosalina's inclusion - ye can finally shut up about how Rosalina "stole his spot". ¬_¬
I will say I do agree with you. I wanted Bowser Jr more then Rosalina before she was revealed. When I saw Rosalina I was saddened that Rosalina got in over Bowser Jr, but I didn't complain. After all, she did deserve it.

After the months that followed, I got really excited for Rosalina, and I planned to make her my main and still do. Rosalina was always awesome to me.

And now here comes Bowser Jr, the character that I always wanted but stopped expecting. It's good to know both my favorite mario character are now in the game. I really couldn't be happier. They both complete the mario roster.

So cheers for both Bowser Jr and Rosalina fans. <3

Last edited:

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
All yous are hype to play as Bowser Jr and Lemmy and Iggy and i'm just over here like

Roy's our boy! :colorful:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
My birthday's coming up in less than 2 hours!
And I'm getting nothing.
again...
two years in a row QQ
Atleast I have this.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Congrats guys! I was actually against Bowser Jr. being in the game until I saw how unique his moveset could be! I can't even imagine how hard it was continuing to hold up the hype for the little guy, even after Smash bros. got a new Mario rep that wasn't him. Can't wait to play as him :)

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
It is pretty cool that each of the koopalings is an alternate costume. What color do you guys think each koopaling will have for their car? Larry seems to have blue were there is usually green for example.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It is pretty cool that each of the koopalings is an alternate costume. What color do you guys think each koopaling will have for their car? Larry seems to have blue were there is usually green for example.
Bowser Junior - Green
Larry Koopa - Light Blue
Roy Koopa - Red
Lemmy Koopa - Orange
Iggy Koopa - Dark Turquoise
Wendy Koopa - Pink
Morton Koopa Junior - Brown
Ludwig Von Koopa - Blue

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I love Bowser Jr. But if the koopalings are alternates, this would leave me in a bit of a dilemma, because I like Lemmy too. Not sure which one of them I like more xD But at least I now know what my mains will be. I had considered using my mains from previous Smash games, but it has constantly changed in each version. This means this will probably be the first game where I have 4 or 5 mains as opposed to only one or two, which I'm very happy about :3

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Junior - Green
Larry Koopa - Light Blue
Roy Koopa - Red
Lemmy Koopa - Orange
Wendy Koopa - Pink
Morton Koopa Junior - Brown
Ludwig Von Koopa - Blue
Seems about right. I guess Iggy will get a different shade of green.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Seems about right. I guess Iggy will get a different shade of green.
I forgot about Iggy, how silly of me.
I usually associate the Koopalings as a 7, I guess adding Bowser Jr. messed me up.
Iggy would get Dark Turquoise.
Because glasses.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Congratulations guys, I have to say that although this moveset wasn't what I expected, Bowser Jr looks like one of my favorites in the game!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
As a huge Toad fan, I'm a bit disappointed by the presence of Bowser Junior (with all 7 Koopalings), Dr. Mario and Rosalina without Toad. But, from the gameplay, he seems incredibly interesting to play as. While I'm not going to "suck it up" because a main character is shafted over characters with smaller (yet still important) roles within the Mario mythos, I will say congratulations.

Now, if you excuse me, I'll go be bitter in the corner.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm not going to give out an "official congrats" until he's 100% Sakurai-stamp-of-approval confirmed, but... congratulations, Bowser Jr. fans!

I have always liked BJ, I just never considered him a real possibility this time around. Plus, I was too busy rooting for Toad. ^__^ All that said, I'm very excited to play as the rotten little fella and his Clown Car (which I have ALWAYS been a fan of since I first saw Bowser ride one in Super Mario World).

If it's not too little too late, I hope I can be considered part of the Bowser Jr. family! (geeze, I'm corny)

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm mostly happy cause Bowser is my favorite Mario character so having him and his son playable in Smash Bros is awesome in my opinion, if the other Koopalings really are costumes then it's even better.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So do you guys have any ideas for Jr.'s Final Smash? I assume it will be summoning an airship. And if the Koopalings aren't really pallet swaps then they could be on the airship.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Congrats, guys. Bowser Jr. was never one of my most wanted, but I really like the idea of fighting in the Clown Car and the Koopalings being alts (maining Larry!).

My guess for Final Smash would be Jr. flying to the top of the screen and dropping various things on the field. Fireballs, bowling balls, Mechakoopas, maybe even try to stomp you.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
So do you guys have any ideas for Jr.'s Final Smash? I assume it will be summoning an airship. And if the Koopalings aren't really pallet swaps then they could be on the airship.
Yeah I was thinking the airship as well and the different buttons control what projectiles you drop like A sends out Bullet Bills or B drops the little Koopa bomb toys or something.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've never posted in this thread, but I'm a long time Bowser Jr. supporter and fan (He was my #1 Nintendo owned character), and I am SOOO excited to get to play as him! And he's a unique character too, which makes it even better. I would've been OK with a tiny speedy Bowser clone, but THIS? This is awesome. Congrats guys. We have our character.

johno1995

Smash Cadet
So yeah. I was bored. :nervous: And no, I didn't really pay attention to which moves were which or if I missed any that were confirmed in the leak. Was just having a bit of fun. :chuckle:

Bowser Jr.

Specials
  • Neutral -- Play Ball!
    • Bowser Jr. fires a cannonball from the Koopa Clown Car, dealing damage to anyone hit. This move can be charged, allowing Bowser Jr. to fire a cannonball with further range but less damage. The closer you are to your opponents, the more damage you deal them. There is a small chance that the cannonball can actually be a fireball that deals more damage than the usual cannonball, and an even smaller chance that it will be a paintball. The paintball deals less damage, but slows opponents down with the sticky paint.

• Side -- Extend-o-arms
    • The Koopa Clown Car's boxing glove arms extend out in the direction pressed, much like in his World 7 boss battle in New Super Mario Bros. U. This chargeable attack grabs any opponents in their path, pulling them back toward the Clown Car. The Clown Car pummels the grabbed opponent with its propellors, sending them flying. However, much like the extend-o-arms in Mario Bros. U, items can get caught in the arms, bringing them back to Bowser Jr. if snatched. However, if the arm goes over an item such as, say, a Bob-omb, the Bob-omb walks on the extend-o-arm -- right back to the cockpit, exploding and sending Bowser Jr. flying. The extend-o-arms can also be attacked by opponents who are careful enough to dodge it, so use it wisely.

• Up -- Junior Ejector
    • Bowser Jr. ejects himself from the Koopa Clown Car, which disappears in a puff of smoke. He does a somersault in mid-air. As he free falls back down toward the stage, the Clown Car reappears and catches him. This move deals no damage at all and serves as an excellent - if not risky - recovery move.

• Down -- Payload Drop
    • Bowser Jr. drops his payload of weaponry, releasing either a Bob-omb or a Mechakoopa that roams the stage and deals damage to foes who encounter them or end up in their path. Like in Super Mario Galaxy, the Mechakoopas will breathe fire in a flamethrower attack that has about half of the range of Bowser's, but more damage. Bob-ombs will function much like the ones that appear on-stage, though Bowser Jr. can have up to two of these minions dropped from the Koopa Car on stage at a time.
~

Standards
  • Ground Moves
    • Fsmash -- The Koopa Clown Car fires a missile in a forward direction. Great knockback, be careful not to do this too close though as you may deal damage to yourself on accident.
    • Usmash -- The Koopa Clown Car's boxing gloves punch down into the ground, sending the Clown Car upward.
    • Dsmash -- A break dance-like move where the boxing gloves grab the ground and the Clown Car spins around, with Junior extending his arms like he's dancing inside the cockpit.
    • Jab -- A three-part jab with the Clown Car's boxing gloves.
    • Dash Attack -- The Clown Car does a "barrel roll", turning into a ball-like shape, catching anyone in it deals electrical damage.

• Aerials
    • Nair -- The Clown Car spins, much like Sonic's Nair, anyone caught is dealt electrical damage.
    • Fair -- The Clown Car propels itself in a forward motion, Bowser Jr. extends his claws forward, anyone caught in it is dealt decent damage with minor knockback.
    • Bair -- The Clown Car propels itself in a backward motion, Bowser Jr. reaches his paintbrush behind his back, anyone caught in it is dealt minor damage with decent knocback.
    • Uair -- Spins vertically, the Clown Car's propellers and Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush propeller are both used to catch opponents above and below.
    • Dair -- The boxing cloves extend downward on both sides, providing good knockback.
    • Grab aerial -- The extend-o-arms work as tether recovery, reaching out much like Lucas's Rope Snake. Deals no damage, but assists with the speed of Junior's aerial attacks.

• Tilts
    • Ftilt -- The Koopa Clown Car sticks its tongue out and spins it around in a swirling motion. Little knockback.
    • Utilt -- Bowser Jr. lifts up his paintbrush and swings it around in a circular motion, catching any character in it is like a propeller that sends them upward. Great knockback.
    • Dtilt -- The Clown Car aims its propeller downward, the attack provides little knockback.

• Throws (with the boxing glove hands, of course!)
    • Fthrow -- Junior tosses a Bob-omb in the grabbed opponent's face, points & laughs as they are sent flying. "HAHA!"
    • Bthrow -- Careless backward toss.
    • Uthrow -- Just tosses the character over his head then swings his paintbrush up, if they are hit, they are launched further.
    • Dthrow -- The Clown Car throws the opponent down while Junior smears them with paintbrush paint.
~

Final Smash

Junior's Airship Armada: Bowser Junior leaps out of the Clown Car, which disappears in a puff of smoke. He whips out his Magic Paintbrush and covers the area around him in paint, slowing down nearby enemies. Meanwhile, it seems like Junior's rhythmic waves of his paintbrush are conducting an airship assault!

Hellfire is rained on the stage by Boom Boom and Pom Pom and other Koopa minions. Anyone in Junior's vicinity is slowed down by the paint from his brush, causing them to be easy targets from Junior's minions' attacks! This lasts for a few seconds, leaving Junior completely invulnerable during this period. Then, the airship attack ends and Junior gets back in his Clown Car per usual.
~

Miscellaneous
  • Entrance -- Bowser Jr. floats onto the stage on the Koopa Clown Car. He fist pumps the air. "Allllright!"

• Idle poses
    1. Junior does an armpit fart and giggles, amused. The Clown Car, however, looks irked by his childishness.
    2. Bowser Jr. looks directly at the screen, sticks a finger up his nostril and blows a raspberry. He accidentally sneezes out fire and shakes his hand to fan away the tiny flame. "Yeeeeowch!" Then he giggles. "Hue hue..."
    3. Junior gives an exaggerated yawn and stretches out his arms. The Clown Car mimics his actions. "Booorrrrr-ing!"
  • Taunts
    1. Up -- Bowser Jr. rocks out inside the Clown Car, "headbanging" his little ponytail back and forth as if he were jamming to a good rock tune. The Car shows off its boxing gloves arms, moving them in an up-and-down motion as if it were dancing. When Junior's done headbanging, he spins around in a dizzy daze. "Whoooooa!"
    2. Side -- The Clown Car and Junior both stick out their tongues, then Junior gives a little chuckle and crosses his arms. "Yeeaaahhh!"
    3. Down -- Bowser Jr. looks directly at the screen, pulling his bandana up over his face and giving a not very menacing growl. "Grrrr~" The Clown Car gives an anime "nervous sweatdrop" expression to acknowledge that it doesn't think Junior's very scary either.
  • Victory Poses
    1. Up Taunt button -- "The winner is..." Junior leaps out of the Clown Car, extending his limbs in the air with a cheery cry. He lands on his feet and fist bumps the Clown Car's punching glove hands. The screen freeze-frames here, announcing "BOWSER JR." as the winner.
    2. Down Taunt button -- "The winner is..." Bowser Jr. sits outside of the tuckered-out Clown Car, tinkering with it, his back to the screen, oblivious to his win. Junior turns around and gives a goofy grin, having figured out that he won the match - he ends up accidentally zapping himself comically by not paying attention to what he was doing, showing off his x-ray. After this, Junior's blackened and charred. He gives a cough, then a little grin and a thumb's up while the Clown Car gives an apologetic smile as the announcer says "...BOWSER JR.".
    3. Side Taunt button -- "The winner is..." The Clown Car, with Junior inside, swoops on screen. Junior jams to the victory theme with the Magic Paintbrush like a guitar while the Clown Car's boxing glove hands "air guitar". Freeze frame on these two rocking out as "BOWSER JR." is announced.
  • Victory Theme -- Bowser Jr. Battle -- Paper Mario: Sticker Star

• Defeat -- Junior lies on his back, sobbing -- waving his arms and kicking his legs in the air -- while the Clown Car sits at his side looking sad for the remainder of the animation.

Last edited:

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I think Bowser Jr looks really cool, but can someone please explain to me what makes him look like a Diddy Kong clone? To me, he's clearly a completely unique character and obviously not grouped with the other clones.

Top Bottom